Upcoming Albums, 2020 Edition

FatherAlabaster

I haven't had time to compile much of a list so far, especially after taking a break from new releases for a good chunk of last year, but there are some promising things on the horizon:

Afterbirth - Four-Dimensional Flesh, releases 3/13/20
Sutrah - Lethe EP, also 3/13/20
My Dying Bride - The Ghost Of Orion, releases 3/6/20

Also, cryptic mutterings from Mitochondrion and Ad Nauseam, both of whom were heavily tipped to have something out last year.

Edit - adding Imperial Triumphant, Nachtlieder, Hypocrisy, Contrarian to the list. Gotta admit I care not at all about a new Hypocrisy album, but it's coming out anyway.

I plan on updating this post as I hear more news. What new releases are you all looking forward to this year?

40 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Also, cryptic mutterings from Mitochondrion and Ad Nauseam, both of whom were heavily tipped to have something out last year.

I plan on updating this post as I hear more news. What new releases are you all looking forward to this year?

The above two would be of interest to me but if I am honest I am kind of taking a backseat on new releases this year in the main.  I got to a point last year where I was just listening to anything just because it was new and was almost forcing myself to listen to things which is just ridiculous (of me).  Good thread though and am sure lots of contributions to come in here.

9 minutes ago, MacabreEternal said:

The above two would be of interest to me but if I am honest I am kind of taking a backseat on new releases this year in the main.  I got to a point last year where I was just listening to anything just because it was new and was almost forcing myself to listen to things which is just ridiculous (of me). 

That's exactly why I took a break from it last year, I was plowing through stuff and felt less and less able to find any joy in it. Not sure how actively I'm going to seek out new stuff this year, but at least I'm in the mood to try.

1 hour ago, Parker said:

So, according to Metal Archives, there will be a new Burzum album on March 13th, 2020, yet they still list the status of the band as split up. Anyone have any further info about this? Whatever's going on, looking forward to the new album.

Check thuleanperspective in youtube, and let your mind be blown. ?

EDIT:Aaaaand youtube has deleted his channel.. oh the world of today.. ?

Basically Varg Vikernes had a vlog style youtube channel for years, where he would talk about his music, his views, life before and after prison, Burzum and plenty of the old BM scene. Shame that it got deleted.. even if you don´t agree with him, he had a lot of interesting content and subjects.

EDIT2:

his Bitchute channel:
https://www.bitchute.com/channel/thuleanperspective/

Full archive of his videos:
https://archive.is/KMg5X

Sorry if i got it bit offtopic, but the point before my edits was that if theres Burzum stuff coming out, he will surely announce it in his chosen channels of communication..

16 minutes ago, ChainsawAkimbo said:

Basically Varg Vikernes had a vlog style youtube channel for years, where he would talk about his music, his views, life before and after prison, Burzum and plenty of the old BM scene. Shame that it got deleted.. even if you don´t agree with him, he had a lot of interesting content and subjects.

EDIT2:

his Bitchute channel:

Euronymous rots in his grave, snuffed out of existence forever, while Varg becomes a social media personality, living a free and happy life. Where’s the justice? 

As for new releases, I have so many “favourite” bands after nearly 30 years in this crazy business that most of the new albums that I will buy and hear are from my long term consorts in concerts. Which is great because there are always plenty of albums that I can’t wait to hear coming out. 

It makes it hard for new bands to wriggle into my air time, but it’s still possible. 

Fuck Burzum. 

6 hours ago, ChainsawAkimbo said:

EDIT2:

his Bitchute channel:

Sorry if i got it bit offtopic, but the point before my edits was that if theres Burzum stuff coming out, he will surely announce it in his chosen channels of communication..

The album is confirmed by burzum.org

The new releases for me are the new gojira one which I read about in metal hammer. They divide opinion a bit as there sounds changed especially with a change in vocal style but I like the newer stuff. If anyone could recommend an early release that would be great as I only know the later stuff. there's a new wolves in the throne room album coming out at end of year which could be amazing. Am sure there will be others too but new pallbearer album I'm looking forward to. There album's are very consistently good in my opinion so looking forward to this and follow up to heartless album which I liked alot 

Some Requiem staples coming up like:

Moonspell

My Dying Bride

Cradle of Filth

Ozzy Osbourne (yeah I know, but I need to complete the collection by buying this... oh man...)

and I’ve heard from an unreliable source that  Katatonia are in the studio too. I hope it’s true. 

So already there are 5 albums that are immediate purchases for me. So good. Hail 2020. 

Some Requiem staples coming up like:
Moonspell
My Dying Bride
Cradle of Filth
Ozzy Osbourne (yeah I know, but I need to complete the collection by buying this... oh man...)
and I’ve heard from an unreliable source that  Katatonia are in the studio too. I hope it’s true. 
So already there are 5 albums that are immediate purchases for me. So good. Hail 2020. 

Saturnus

19 hours ago, True Belief said:

Yes, musically quite good but I can’t stomach Peavey’s vocals any more.

Secrets in a Weird World is an all-time favourite of mine. Preferred his higher range back in the day.

I don't know why, but this new album reminds me albums  90s such as Trapped! (1992) and The Missing Link (1993). Except songs 1 and 2 which have tastle of death and groove.

17 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Here's what they posted on Facebook last month:

uI4sNkA.png

Looks like they've partnered with Ikea. Exciting!

Thanks for posting that. I don’t know who that guy is with Jonas, but I hope it’s a positive. 

Praying there’s not too much prog and Opeth circa 2006 worship. I want a great emotional rock album along the lines of ‘Serein’ and ‘Old Heart Falls’ from the last album. 

On 1/14/2020 at 9:20 PM, Requiem said:

Euronymous rots in his grave, snuffed out of existence forever, while Varg becomes a social media personality, living a free and happy life. Where’s the justice? 

He punished himself, in a way.  Now the whole world knows how much of a conspiracy-theorist joke he is.  The fact that he has become an internet meme means that he failed in his political battle.

That all being said, I am looking forward to the new Burzum album.

6 hours ago, Balor said:

He punished himself, in a way.  Now the whole world knows how much of a conspiracy-theorist joke he is.  The fact that he has become an internet meme means that he failed in his political battle.

That all being said, I am looking forward to the new Burzum album.

I wish that he felt this, but I doubt it. 

At any rate, I think the post-prison releases have all been fairly boring and indulgent, without the magic of the early work. 

I bought two or three of them as they came out, but I think I’m done with trying to like them now.

Not writing off the new album yet of course, but I’m expecting more of the same bings and clangs that are apparently pagan art according to madman Kristian V. 

Hail Euronymous the true and only king of black metal. 

9 hours ago, Requiem said:

I wish that he felt this, but I doubt it. 

At any rate, I think the post-prison releases have all been fairly boring and indulgent, without the magic of the early work. 

I bought two or three of them as they came out, but I think I’m done with trying to like them now.

Not writing off the new album yet of course, but I’m expecting more of the same bings and clangs that are apparently pagan art according to madman Kristian V. 

Hail Euronymous the true and only king of black metal. 

I think the new album is suppose to be a compilation of songs that first appeared as the background music in his videos, so it will likely have the pagan/folk acoustic sound.  It sounds as though it was just thrown together on a whim.

Whether he admits to feeling it or not, he has become a joke.

• 3 weeks later...