Metal Academy - Radio, Reviews and ramblings

MacabreEternal

Not my site but a couple of acquaintances from another forum (2 brothers in fact) have put together a new ratings and reviews site - with a forum attached.  Interesting concept of "clans" has been developed for users to sign up to and all manner of challenges are available to keep the place active.  Majority of users seem to be Australian at present so some international input would be more than welcome I am sure.

The site can be found here https://metal.academy/

• 7 months later...

More hardwork by the Brothers Grimm as I call them over at Metal Academy.  Now with a Featured section for each clan every month to showcase a release.  Also an anniversary section to celebrate releases birthdays'.  Awww! (Bring cake!)

Hall of Judgement, Clan Challenges and a massive database of metal bands and releases to search for, rate and review at your leisure.  Also each new member gets a toe nail clipping.  

(Last sentence is a lie).

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

April playlists are up on Spotify for Metal Academy Radio, each track hand picked by members of the the individual clans at the site.  The Horde clan playlist link below.

As well as this a fresh round of monthly featured releases are up for suggested listening, review or just simple discussion in the forum section.  Come join the site, pick your clans and shoot the shit with fellow fans of metal.

Metal Academy home

• 3 weeks later...
  • MacabreEternal changed the title to Metal Academy - Radio, Reviews and ramblings
17 hours ago, navybsn said:

Was listening to this on Saturday. The playlist selections are pretty good. Hadn't heard Exhorder in ages. And anytime I get a chance to blast Hypnosia, I never miss it!

Yeah, we have built up a few regulars over there so we tend to get a good cross section of styles in most of the clans.  Dan & Ben do a lot of great work (in and around family & work commitments) on the site so anything the regulars can do to help build the playlists and featured releases over the nine clans is always appreciated by them.

The Sphere is perhaps the most underfed clan (industrial metal is a niche) and probably The Revolution also in terms of core bands which I openly admit to having little time for.  The North, The Horde, The Guardians and The Pit are going strong though with The Infinite and The Gateway bringing up the rear nicely.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Metal Academy Radio is now curated by site members, building from other members suggestions and adding their own tracks to the playlist to ensure an even and consistent representation of all sub-genres.  This month's The Pit playlist covers the best that Thrash has to offer.  Whether it is conventional thrash metal, crossover, technical or even speed metal or groove metal, it's all in here.

You'll also find playlists dedicated to Doom, Death Metal, Black Metal, Trad/Heavy Metal, Industrial Metal, Progressive Metal, Alternative Metal as well as all things "core".

This month's featured releases are on the link below, featuring W.A.S.P., Spiritbox, Messa, Nile, Exumer, Persefone, Sun of the Blind, Trivium and Andrew Hulshult.  Whether it is signing up to do a review against a release page or simply just to shoot the shit in the forum section, Metal Academy is free to register for all.

https://metal.academy/featured/releases

I had fun creating the Revolution playlist and can't wait to do next month's. The Infinite playlist made by Saxy S. is a great wild ride. And submitting those Persefone and Trivium masterpieces as the Infinite and Revolution feature releases for this month was worth it for good reception. Seems like The Infinite and Revolution forces are still strong within me...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

January playlists are up at the Metal Academy with the Spotify link embedded below.  "The North" clan captures all things black metal, folk metal and viking metal

Our featured releases for this month can be found below with Rhapsody, Malignant Altar, Borknagar, Mastodon, Sadus, Bullet for my Valentine, The Amenta, Ufomammut / Lento and Karnivool all on the list this month.

Metal Academy - Jan 22 Featured

• MacabreEternal pinned and unpinned this topic
  • 2 months later...

The site over at Metal Academy now doesn't take a lifetime to load up now when you click on the link thanks to some alchemy by Ben (well more likely just some work by the developer he has on the books but whatever, it still loads faster).  Final few days of our March features before new ones drop on 01st April.

March 22 Features MA (p.s. The Bread Scientists one is really, really shit)

• 6 months later...

Autumn/The Fall breezes in over at Metal Academy and our dedicated black, folk and viking metal clan "The North" has a suitably colder theme to its monthly playlist for October:

Continuing the theme of a drop in temperature we are shooting the shit over the debut album from Cirith Gorgor.  Onwards to the Spectral Defile is the monthly feature release for The North, with a full list of featured releases on the link below:

Metal Academy October 22 Feature Releases

In addition to this we now operate a "Review Draft" each month.  Clan members get to pick from a selection of randomly generated releases from the site database which often leads to new discoveries, obscure releases getting some words written about them and the risk of some absolute fucking turkeys getting some airtime.

Review Draft

• 1 year later...