Favourite metal EPs of all time

Thrashman

What are yours?

I recently watched this (and a couple of response videos) - which is what gave me the idea for this thread.

My top ten (in rough order), if I had to pick them off my shelves right now:

Spectral Voice - Necrotic Doom
Depravity - Silence Of The Centuries
Autopsy - Fiend For Blood
Scour - Grey
Malignant Altar - Retribution Of Jealous Gods 
Obituary – Don’t Care
Devouring Star - Antihedron
Inverloch - Dusk / Subside
Plague Lust - Veneral
Blood Incantation - Interdimensional Extinction

It would depend on what counts as an EP, as opposed to a "single", "demo", or "full-length". I guess I'm ok with taking it case by case. I'll probably add to this as I remember more, but here are some I like, anyway:

Gorguts - Pleiades' Dust
At The Gates - Terminal Spirit Disease
Negativa - s/t
Queensryche - s/t
Cryptopsy - Ungentle Exhumation
Deathspell Omega - Chaining The Katechon
Human Remains - Using Sickness As A Hero
Grave Miasma - Endless Pilgrimage
Grave Miasma (as Goat Molester) - Realm Of Evoked Doom
Daughters - Daughters 2002 EP 
My Dying Bride - Symphonaire Infernus Et Spera Empyrium
My Dying Bride - The Thrash Of Naked Limbs

Katatonia has some great short recordings that I would hesitate to include because they typically only have a couple of unique non-album tracks, but if you're a Katatonia fan, some of their best songs are on those.

Good thread.  I always enjoy listening to short releases!

Some of my favorites:

-literally every Kristallnacht release (he only ever relesed short eps/demos, and they are all great)

-"Anti-Urban" - Drudkh

-"Slavonic Chronicles" - Drudkh

-"YSY" - Reek of the Unzen Gas Fumes

Katatonia - For Funerals to Come...

Katatonia - Sounds of Decay

Katatonia - Saw You Drown

Mayhem - Deathcrush

Celtic Frost - Morbid Tales

Gehenna - First Spell

Anathema - The Crestfallen

Queensryche - s/t

Technically not an EP but I would also like to add Paradise Lost's Forever Failure single. I absolutely LOVE "Another Desire" and they made a mistake leaving it off Draconian Times, in my opinion.

6 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Sounds Of Decay... What a fucking great disc it is. The height of that particular sound for them, I think. I may actually prefer it to Brave Murder Day. Never heard anything that sounds quite like it.

Honestly, everything they did before Tonight's Decision (and possibly including that album) is some of the most beautiful and unique shit I've ever heard. Can't tell you how many times I've listened to those albums including the EPs and they never get old. 

Technically not an EP but I would also like to add Paradise Lost's Forever Failure single. I absolutely LOVE "Another Desire" and they made a mistake leaving it off Draconian Times, in my opinion.

Seals the Sense would get my vote. Astonishing that they chose not to include ‘Sweetness’ on Draconian Times.

Here's a handy top ten that I had nestled in that amazing 'Top 10 in Any Given Genre and Something-or-other' thread that I started, with a few edits. That's a great thread, I'll have to get back into it and make more Top 10 Lists. Anyway, here was my list for the EPS. 

Requiem's Top 10 Metal EPs

10a. Age of Silence - 'Complications' (2005)

This little gem is really underrated. Great vocals from Lars (Borknagar/Solefald), drums from Hellhammer. It's better than their album that came out the next year. Excellent melodic metal. Typical digital album cover from this era. 

10b. Moonsorrow - 'Tulimyrsky' (2008)

This is where Moonsorrow start to get a little bogged down in their own ambition. The title track here is 25 long, slightly boring, minutes, but the rest of this EP is fantastic. The highlight is definitely their cover of 'For Whom the Bell Tolls' by some little known US band. If you haven't heard this cover, fill up your mead horns and get around it. Album artwork is pretty poor - an illustration done in a high school notebook by the looks of it. 

9. Burzum - 'Aske' (1992)

I have the shirt of this. The music isn't quite to the standard of Burzum's best, but it's not far off. The atmosphere and sentiment here are quite magical. Classic, stunning album cover. 

8. Graveland - 'Impaler's Wolves' (1999)

Such an amazing and stunningly atmospheric EP, this two (lengthy) track ode to the true Vlad the Impaler is a full transportation back to the 15th century. Perfect artwork in the form of a portrait. 

7. Anathema - 'Pentecost III' (1995) 

The last release with Darren White on vocals, this is epic, doomy and emotional. A great way for him to end his tenure with the band. Goddamn where they've ended up. Excellent artwork of a pre-raphaelite painting. What a great time to be a doom metal fan in 1995. 

6. Paradise Lost - 'Seals the Sense' (1994)

The vehicle for the best track from 'Icon' to flourish ('Embers Fire'), this four song EP features two album tracks, a bonus unreleased track in the wonderful 'Sweetness' and a live version of a song from the previous album. This was one of the first releases I got of the band back in the day. Artwork is ok and generally pretty cool. 

5. My Dying Bride - 'The Manuscript' (2013)

MDB have released heaps of EPs, especially early in their career, but they were all a bit hit and miss. This is a really good one, however, and I prefer it to the album that came out around the same time: 'A Map of All Our Failures'. In fact I prefer this to the last few albums. It's surprisingly good from start to finish. Dodgy digital album cover. Fuck it's amateurish. 

4. Katatonia - 'Sounds of Decay' (1997)

Basically songs that didn't make it onto 'Brave Murder Day', these tracks are next goddamn level. Mikael Akerfeldt on vocals and that classic Katatonia style. Suitable album cover. 

3. Mayhem - 'Deathcrush' (1987)

From the immortal and kvlt intro of through to the final notes of 'Pure Fucking Armageddon', this is fresh, exciting, jubilant and couched in history. Kvlt Kover. 

2. Cradle of Filth - 'V Empire' (1996)

Untouchable vampiric atmosphere and nocturnal supremacy. This release has come up in a few of my lists now so I won't gild the (withered) lily. Mesmerising and erotic cover art. 

1. Saturnus - 'For the Loveless Lonely Nights' (1998)

My favourite EP. The studio tracks are achingly perfect gothic doom while the live tracks are stunning with the choir. I remember the first time a friend and I heard this back in about 1998, because it was before 'Martyre' came out the following year, of course before you could youtube it. When I put the disk in the CD player and the first few notes of 'Starres' began, we just sat there staring at each other, jaws on the floor. What an EP. Beautiful artwork. 

19 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Katatonia has some great short recordings that I would hesitate to include because they typically only have a couple of unique non-album tracks, but if you're a Katatonia fan, some of their best songs are on those.

Correct, which was why I didn't include what I consider to be their actual singles rather than EPs, like 'Teargas', 'Tonight's Music', 'My Twin', although I suspect you were probably talking about older materia. 

Actually, I could have included 'Kocytean', which is a wonderful and genuine EP that includes one of their best tracks in 'Unfurl' (which was amazingly left off 'The Great Cold Distance', for which I shall never forgive the band). 

18 minutes ago, Requiem said:

Correct, which was why I didn't include what I consider to be their actual singles rather than EPs, like 'Teargas', 'Tonight's Music', 'My Twin', although I suspect you were probably talking about older materia. 

I love all of those. The non-album tracks on Saw You Drown are wonderful IMO as well. It makes sense to save standout tracks for the singles, that way your songs don't get overlooked on a bloated album and you have an awesome little extra for the real fans to enjoy. 

Other eps that I have greatly enjoyed:

-Mgła - Mdłosci:

-Mgła - Further Down the Nest:

Mgła highlight their amazing riff skills in both of the eps, but also used a raw recording style that I like a lot.

-Satanic Warmaster - 瘴疠禁室:

A recording of demo songs that are rac-like in their catchiness and attitude.  I thought it was terrible when I first listened to it, but grew to find its crude nature endearing.

On 11/5/2019 at 12:09 AM, FatherAlabaster said:

I love all of those. The non-album tracks on Saw You Drown are wonderful IMO as well. It makes sense to save standout tracks for the singles, that way your songs don't get overlooked on a bloated album and you have an awesome little extra for the real fans to enjoy. 

This is why I really love their boxset 'The Black Sessions' as it has (if memory serves) all of the b-sides from the EPs and singles. Which for Katatonia means a collection of their best songs (almost) as of 2005 even without 'Unfurl', 'Wide Awake in Quietus' and all them classics. 

8 hours ago, Requiem said:

This is why I really love their boxset 'The Black Sessions' as it has (if memory serves) all of the b-sides from the EPs and singles. Which for Katatonia means a collection of their best songs (almost) as of 2005 even without 'Unfurl', 'Wide Awake in Quietus' and all them classics. 

I wish it was more like your recollection of it. It only has five non-album tracks -- the extra tunes from the "Teargas" and "Tonight's Music" EPs, and one unreleased track. Great songs, but not worth buying a 30-track double disc set of other stuff I already have and a live DVD I don't really want.

Despite my saying that, I do own it, and I just realized that disc 1 is missing, which means my only copy of "Help Me Disappear" is on a burned Katatonia B-side compilation I made for myself in college, which is probably missing as well. I guess that means I need to go back out and buy myself another copy of "The Black Sessions"...

13 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

I wish it was more like your recollection of it. It only has five non-album tracks -- the extra tunes from the "Teargas" and "Tonight's Music" EPs, and one unreleased track. Great songs, but not worth buying a 30-track double disc set of other stuff I already have and a live DVD I don't really want.

Despite my saying that, I do own it, and I just realized that disc 1 is missing, which means my only copy of "Help Me Disappear" is on a burned Katatonia B-side compilation I made for myself in college, which is probably missing as well. I guess that means I need to go back out and buy myself another copy of "The Black Sessions"...

Oh right, so is 'Wait Outside' the only B side apart from the 'Teargas'/'Tonight's Music' tunes? Ha. I guess I was unconsciuosly including the material from 'Brave Yester Days' which has got some other stuff on it. 

The Katatonia B-Sides are just getting better with time, too, when you look at 'Wide Awake in Quietus' and 'Varkaren' from 'The Fall of Hearts'. 

This reminds me of the Ozzy Osbourne song 'One Up the B-Side'. Great song that.