Albums you didn’t like at first but grew to like?

H34VYM3T4LD4V3

I did not like Dimmu Borgir's "Stormblast" (the original, not the blatant cash-in rerecording of 2005) when I was younger. I was into albums like Spiritual Black Dimensions, Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia, and Death Cult Armageddon because the guitars were very prominent and it sounded "brutal" and "hard".

Only when I got older did I realize that the original recording of Stormblast was a very different, amazing record due to the way that the keys were pushed to the front and the guitars were down in the mix. I would love to find a copy of that mix on vinyl but sadly, because of the copyright infringement on (I think it was Sorgen's Kammer) that's probably never going to happen & the only one I'll be able to find is the garbage 2005 re-recording.

Another album I never liked at first was the first Burzum album. Come to think of it, I did not like any of the Burzum albums as a kid because I was on a whole Dimmu Borgir/Cradle of Filth kick originally and thought that the only black metal worth listening to was stuff that had "good production". It wasn't until I got into my 30s that I realized that Burzum was some of the best black metal ever recorded and, this is going to be an unpopular opinion here, but is superior to Darkthrone and Mayhem in every way.

Speaking of Darkthrone, A Blaze in the Northern Sky was another album that I did not like until I got older. I couldn't understand Darkthrone as a kid but now that I'm older I get what it was that they were going for. Still not my favorite black metal band, but I at least appreciate them now.

• 5 months later...

Iron maidens X factor I did not like to begin with. However I was expecting Bruce Dickinson first listen. I didn't know he was not the singer. However 2nd listen I enjoyed it alot. Now I love the record even if there's about 10 of us who really like it😉

Pallbearers heartless album I did not like to begin with as it's very slow and seemed about boring and just too slow. After a few plays I got really in to it. It was my most played album for a time. I liked it so much when a family member asked for a great record for Christmas present. I gave them that and they were not happy at all😂so funny now not so back then. 

I always like the X Factor, I bought it on the day it came out and it's still a regular spinner for me. It was the follow up Virtual XI that I never really got into to. I like the first few songs on the album and don't mind them live, even with Bruce singing, but the last three songs have just never worked for me.

I didn't like Testament until Practice What You Preach came out. The Legacy and The New Order just didn't sound great to me at the time, but they've both grown on me now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2022 at 10:31 PM, KillaKukumba said:

I always like the X Factor, I bought it on the day it came out and it's still a regular spinner for me. It was the follow up Virtual XI that I never really got into to. I like the first few songs on the album and don't mind them live, even with Bruce singing, but the last three songs have just never worked for me.

I didn't like Testament until Practice What You Preach came out. The Legacy and The New Order just didn't sound great to me at the time, but they've both grown on me now.

That's great you liked the X factor on first play through. Even with the original mix. I got the remastered version which I like. I should do a comparison to see if there's much difference. Apparently remastered is alot more polished. 

St anger by Mettalica. It's by no means my favourite of there's. I played it today and I enjoyed most of of it till last couple of tracks and then off it went. I liked the intensity and energy, bit repetitive and the drums sound was overall a letdown. 

I'm not one for remastered albums, especially given that so many albums these days are labelled as remastered but haven't been done from the original recordings. Too much of the time it's just labels wanting to re-release albums with, or without, the bands consent. Remastering is often also just one knob twiddlers version of what they think is great, look at how many people 'remaster' albums on Youtube with headings like "this is what X should have sounded like". I don't have a problem with labels selling remasters, or people buying them, but to me buying them, especially if I already have them is a waste of money.

On 4/11/2022 at 12:08 AM, KillaKukumba said:

I'm not one for remastered albums, especially given that so many albums these days are labelled as remastered but haven't been done from the original recordings. Too much of the time it's just labels wanting to re-release albums with, or without, the bands consent. Remastering is often also just one knob twiddlers version of what they think is great, look at how many people 'remaster' albums on Youtube with headings like "this is what X should have sounded like". I don't have a problem with labels selling remasters, or people buying them, but to me buying them, especially if I already have them is a waste of money.

Agreed I only buy an album once unless the remastered version is so fantastic I must get it. I will say this has never happened. But I don't want to say never

On 4/11/2022 at 12:08 AM, KillaKukumba said:

Agreed I only buy an album once unless the remastered version is so fantastic I must get it. I will say this has never happened. But I don't want to say never

Sometimes remasters come with extra CDs that don't appear anywhere else which makes them worth buying. But it still shits me when bands, or more likely labels release remasters with one or two differences just to sell more.

It doesn't happen here as much as it used to be being one of the last places many bands toured we used to often see an album released, then 12-18 months later when the tour finally made it here they've offer a "Tour" version of the album. The same thing but with a few live tracks, tracks that couldn't be bought anywhere else. It's not so bad these days where the songs will be on the net, but in the 90's that shit couldn't just be downloaded. No one wanted to wait 12-18 months to buy their new favourite album, but they also did want two copies of an album that were essentially the same.

On 4/14/2022 at 12:05 AM, KillaKukumba said:

Sometimes remasters come with extra CDs that don't appear anywhere else which makes them worth buying. But it still shits me when bands, or more likely labels release remasters with one or two differences just to sell more.

It doesn't happen here as much as it used to be being one of the last places many bands toured we used to often see an album released, then 12-18 months later when the tour finally made it here they've offer a "Tour" version of the album. The same thing but with a few live tracks, tracks that couldn't be bought anywhere else. It's not so bad these days where the songs will be on the net, but in the 90's that shit couldn't just be downloaded. No one wanted to wait 12-18 months to buy their new favourite album, but they also did want two copies of an album that were essentially the same.

The tour version. I've been bought some of those and none of which were memorable. There must be  some good ones but I'm yet to hear them

There's some extra remix tracks on the version of slayer reign in blood that I own and as far as I'm concerned it's better without them 

Our tour editions used to contain mostly live songs. I've got a Megadeth one with 5 live songs. I've got Sepultura one with 4 live songs. I've got a Guns N Roses one with 7 tracks. By the early 90's when many bands were on their second tours of Australia we started getting "recorded Live In Australia" tracks which would usually be from the previous tour. Initially many shitty record shops even wanted to charge extra for the damn things because it was a second CD.

• 3 months later...

Oh, there's definitely been a few times where it took me a while to enjoy albums from artists. To keep it simple, here are three albums I grew to like:

Avenged Sevenfold Hail to the King (2013) | When I heard this album the first time, I was pretty upset because of how different the sound of that album was. I think because I was so used to a certain sound that Avenged Sevenfold had, I didn't really expect something like this from them, so it disappointed me at the time. But here's the thing... I don't really think the Hail to the King album is that bad. It's just different from their other stuff, and there's a few songs in the album I do actually enjoy - Heretic and This Means War may be my favorites on that album. At the end of the day, Avenged Sevenfold is still one of my favorite bands.

System of a Down Self-Titled Album (1998) When I think about the fact that I did not like this album at first now, I can't even believe I didn't like it. I'm a huge fan of the band now, but I think at the time, there were just a few songs on the album that sounded really odd to me (when I first checked out the band, I was probably in 7th grade), and while I just started getting into metal music at the time, I just decided to check out their debut album after having listened to "Chop Suey!" for the first time. I think I just decided to give their other albums a listen, and came to actually enjoy those, so I came back to this album again, and actually enjoyed this album. It's actually one of my favorite albums by SOAD now.

Disturbed Believe (2002) I don't think I really enjoyed this album at first because, to be honest, there really weren't many songs from this album I really knew. Most of the songs I listened to by the band were from their albums IndestructibleTen Thousand Fists and Asylum. And, of course, the song Down with the Sickness. The first time I listened to the album Believe, I just thought the songs weren't very memorable as much as the band's other songs. I still am not a huge fan of this album, and it's definitely not my favorite by Disturbed, but it's okay. 

I found Disturbed - Believe in a throw out bin at a record store in about 2006 for $2. I still think I got ripped off!

I thought I'd given the CD to my brother years ago but one of the kids brought it home a few months back and told it was mine. 18 years later It's a fucking curse I can't get rid of it!!

41 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

I found Disturbed - Believe in a throw out bin at a record store in about 2006 for $2. I still think I got ripped off!

I thought I'd given the CD to my brother years ago but one of the kids brought it home a few months back and told it was mine. 18 years later It's a fucking curse I can't get rid of it!!

I'm convinced there must have been more absolutely dreadful and completely worthless bands formed in the 1990's than all the other decades in history combined.

So many albums I hated on first listen and grew to like....

Metallica/Ride the Lightning-WTF? Yep one of the greatest albums of all time...first time I heard it, thought it was hardcore punk which I erroneously disliked in my formative years. Luckily I grew to see the error.

Ulcerate-Shrines of Paralysis and The Destroyers of All-When I picked up Destroyers, I could just not get into it. It was like nails on a chalkboard. Shrines was more accessible and I finally broke the mental dissonant code and the beauty unfolded like a beautiful wild flower. 

Emperor/At the Welkins at Dusk and Nightside Eclipse...couldn't get pas the production first time through, now Welkins is a favorite

Cryptopsy/Once Was Not-this one was hard to get into for a while

Darkthrone-I don't even remember if it was Blaze or Funeral Moon, but I do remember the first time I heard DT I thought it was unlistenable....

Nile/ Ithyphallic and Behemoth/ The Apostasy-two of my first forays into non melodeth....took me some time.

Radiohead /OK Computer-when I finally forced myself to listen to on eof the supposed greatest art indie albums of all time....I was pretty underwhelmed. They still suck but I ended up with several of their albums-haha

46 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I'm convinced there must have been more absolutely dreadful and completely worthless bands formed in the 1990's than all the other decades in history combined.

True but the nineties also saw the formation of countless truly formidable bands so not all bad…

2 hours ago, markm said:

Ulcerate-Shrines of Paralysis and The Destroyers of All-When I picked up Destroyers, I could just not get into it. It was like nails on a chalkboard. Shrines was more accessible and I finally broke the mental dissonant code and the beauty unfolded like a beautiful wild flower. 

Beautifully put. And cop that GG.

For me, it was The Key by Nocturnus.

However, I had the opportunity to listen to it a long time ago, when it was released. Then on other occasions over the years, but each time, it put me off. I found it too weird in the sound.

I knew I was missing out on a great album, but I couldn't get past it.

Recently, I finally got into it and listened to it, listened to it and listened to it some more. It has become a classic for me.

Another example? Darkness Descends by Dark Angel. The only album of D.A. that I never listened to while the other 3 did. And finally, I listened to it a lot and I ended up putting it in my playlist.

I must have other examples but no name comes to me at the moment.

17 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Beautifully put. And cop that GG.

I ain't coppin' shit.

I realize the band appears to have considerable value to others, but Ulcerate is rubbish to me. I'm not one of those people who has the patience to keep trying with a band indefinitely. When I come upon a locked door (musically speaking) I'm not gonna dislocate my shoulder trying to bust it down and then call the locksmith and wait around all day til he shows up to let me in. I'll just try the next knob in hopes that it might open for me. Or in other words I can't buy ALL the metal albums, ya know? So since I find so many boatloads of good ones that I can hardly keep up with listening to them all, I'm cool having a certain amount that I just don't like. I certainly don't need Ulcerate to make my life complete. And seriously I have a black thumb, wildflowers don't typically unfold for me, they simply wither and die.

2 hours ago, markm said:

Metallica/Ride the Lightning-WTF? Yep one of the greatest albums of all time...first time I heard it, thought it was hardcore punk which I erroneously disliked in my formative years. Luckily I grew to see the error.

Haha, we all have different tastes (oops, I'm French, I hope the word "gout" fits?) and that's good :)

Ride the Lightning, with me it was the opposite. At the time, I was listening to classic metal (Saxon, Maiden, Twisted Sister). I liked what I was listening to but inside I felt the need to listen to something even more violent.

And when Fight Fire with Fire came into my ears for the very first time, it was THE revelation. I was hearing about Thrash Metal without really knowing what it was. Then I understood...

And loved it! :)

5 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Or in other words I can't buy ALL the metal albums, ya know?

Nowadays, this could not be truer.

So many albums released that it's impossible to listen to everything, let alone appreciate it.