H34VYM3T4LD4V3

Albums you didn’t like at first but grew to like?

Thought I’d ask this question as I have noticed that I have a couple of albums that fit this criteria, however the one that I think of the most would have to be Judas Priest’s Stained Class, at first I didn’t like the album at all, nothing resonated with me and I just didn’t think it was anything special, it just bored me which is crazy as now it is not just one of my favourite JP albums but one of my all time favourites. I think it’s because at the time I remember being told by a lot of people that it was their best album, and when I listened to it at first for whatever reason it didn’t really seem like it to me.

Do you guys have any examples to share?

Yes, lots. Some of my absolute all time favorites took me a while to get into. My Dying Bride's Turn Loose The Swans didn't click for a year or two, and then one day I had it on headphones while walking around a local public garden in late afternoon and everything just came together for me. I didn't think much of Opeth when I first heard Morningrise, and then a couple months later I was listening to it every day. Ghost Reveries took me something like seven or eight years to enjoy; same with Borknagar's Empiricism. Katatonia's Discouraged Ones and Viva Emptiness both took repeated listens for me to dig, I couldn't stand The Fall Of Hearts when it first came out, Bethlehem's Dark Metal grew on me pretty significantly, Gorguts' Obscura gave me a headache the first time I heard it, Death and Enslaved in general took years for me to warm up to. Couldn't stand Type O Negative or Tool the first time I heard them (Bloody Kisses and Undertow respectively). I vaguely recall completely hating Parallels by Fates Warning in the 90s, and I fell in love with it at some point over the past couple of years. Several others come to mind as well. This is why I always go back to albums I still don't enjoy. I've had my mind changed enough times that I really never know how or when something's going to click for me.

Rotting Christ's AEALO album. I was listening into a friend's house, Demonon Vrosis was playing on the Stereo and I was like What The F is this guy listening to.....Nowdays Rotting Christ is one of my favorite bands and AEALO is one of their masterpieces. Till this very day I remember him of that day and we laugh together. Those times were good

Yep, several.

When I first heard Testament it was during the New Order era. Loved that album and its successor Souls of Black. When Practice What you preach came out, I was underwhelmed. It now, however is in my top three from them.
Low was a similar reaction. I thought that it was such a different sound from them and nothing like their previous album, The Ritual. It has grown on me and now I have several songs that I listen to in a regular basis.

Another one was Maiden's Seventh Son album. After being exposed to them via the Somewhere in Time album, SS was a strange composition to me. Not just the concept part but the writing arrangement etc. After leaving it alone for quite some time, I revisited it and really enjoy that album now.

Slayer's Devine Intervention was in the same boat. Once you get past the ridiculous first track Killing Feilds, the rest of the album is really good.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I’m a routine fool for this type of thing. Without detail, here are some albums I’ve struggled with but have come to love, sometimes years after release:

Kampfar - ‘Mare’

Dimmu Borgir - ‘Eonian’

Katatonia - ‘Night is the New Day’

Marduk - ‘La Grande Danse Macabre’

There are a thousand others but I can’t think of them at the moment. 

With the exception of Chimera, I haven't liked any MayheM full length on first listen. Still haven't got into the last two, maybe eventually they'll click, I don't know. But, the song I've heard from the new album sounded good.