Albums you didn’t like at first but grew to like?

H34VYM3T4LD4V3

On 9/7/2021 at 3:10 AM, JamesT said:

Great to hear from you again, too!  Yeah, I definitely think the lack of bass sound on the original recording of "...And Justice for All" is the main reason why the folks who don't love it feel the way they do.  It's always been my favorite album of theirs, because the songwriting is superb, and it's still very heavy.  I actually like Reload better than Load.  "Fuel" is a good track for sure, and I just think it has more solid heavy tracks than Load.  It would be a great idea to give "Reload" more of a listen!  I would recommend the tracks "The Memory Remains", "Devil's Dance", "Carpe Diem Baby" and "Bad Seed".  Those are some pretty heavy, groovy rockers.  Happy listening!

good to hear from you james t thanks again for your reload recommendations. do you think Metallica should have chosen best songs from load and reload and done one album. maybe its just me 

its good you like justice album. i dont like it as much as you but i like it more than im assuming alot of people, i know a fair few who call it there 2nd worst mettalica behind lulu. bit harsh imo

On 9/7/2021 at 8:49 AM, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

the one album i dont get is reload. ive never listened to it much. fuel is a fun track. but my reload cd is just gathering dust in the attic.  should  listen to it more of a listen

I won reLoad in a radio competition, along with tickets to Motley Crue in 97. I listened to reLoad once and didn't like it and I never went to Motley Crue despite actually liking them back in the 80's. Both the CD and the tickets are still in a box here somewhere.

Speaking of Metallica who has grown to like Miley Cyrus singing Nothing Else Matters with them?

2 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

good to hear from you james t thanks again for your reload recommendations. do you think Metallica should have chosen best songs from load and reload and done one album. maybe its just me 

its good you like justice album. i dont like it as much as you but i like it more than im assuming alot of people, i know a fair few who call it there 2nd worst mettalica behind lulu. bit harsh imo

Yes, I absolutely think they should have taken the best songs from those two albums and just released one album.  There's some really good stuff on there!  

And wow!  Yeah, that would be beyond harsh to say "...And Justice for All" is their second worst album.  I think it's their best ever and certainly is part of their classics in the 80's.  I was actually listening to "Hardwired...to Self Destruct" at the gym today and thoroughly enjoying it!  

What bands have you been listening to more lately?

31 minutes ago, JamesT said:

Yes, I absolutely think they should have taken the best songs from those two albums and just released one album.  There's some really good stuff on there!  

Alright so give me the specific tracks and your proposed running order for the perfect Load sessions compilation album.

You gonna have this on it?

slither

What about this one?

better than you

19 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Alright so give me the specific tracks and your proposed running order for the perfect Load sessions compilation album.

You gonna have this on it?

slither

What about this one?

better than you

I would have combined the following tracks onto one solid album:

1) Ain't My Bitch

2) 2 X 4

3) The House Jack Built

4) King Nothing

5) Thorn Within

6) The Outlaw Torn

7) Fuel

😎 The Memory Remains

9) Devil's Dance 

10) Better Than You

11) Slither

12) Carpe Diem Baby 

13) Bad Seed

14) Prince Charming

15) Attitude

16) Fixxxer 

Obviously, these wouldn't have all fit onto 1 CD back in the day, but those would be my picks for one big release. 

7 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Way too many tunes, 2 X 4, The House Jack Built, Fuel, Thorn Within, Prince Charming, and especially The Memory Remains all gotta go. But I'd add Bleeding Me and Low Man's Lyric because I like the slow songs. Those 12 would probably fit onto one CD and might even make a halfway decent hard rock album.

I haven't listened to Re-Load since, I am guessing, 1998. The CD is in the garage though....it should be in the gar(b)age, amirite?!

That Slither track is practically the Enter Sandman riff! That's just embarrassing.

I always liked Bleeding Me and Outlaw Torn from Load but I never bought another Metallica album after Re-Load laid the final turd in an already shitten bed. Just terrible.

They sound good though. If only Ride the Lightening sounded like Load.....but if Bob Rock had been involved that early then he would have made the songs suck.

Guilty as charged  oooh, ee yeah
But damn it, it ain't right, woooh- hooo
There's someone else controlling me, riiight-aah!

Baudelaire said:

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist

Yet the most diabolical trick anyone ever pulled was convincing James Hetfield he could sing.

WN, man you can get rid of the black outlines around text by selecting "Paste as plain text instead" when you copy text into the text box.

You're welcome.

On 9/10/2021 at 1:18 AM, KillaKukumba said:

I won reLoad in a radio competition, along with tickets to Motley Crue in 97. I listened to reLoad once and didn't like it and I never went to Motley Crue despite actually liking them back in the 80's. Both the CD and the tickets are still in a box here somewhere.

Speaking of Metallica who has grown to like Miley Cyrus singing Nothing Else Matters with them?

thats cool you won the reload cd in a radio competition and motley crue tickets. yeah the crue had some very catchy stuff in 80s. theyd been good live i reckon and theyd have played all the classic 80s stuff to. 

not heard nothing else matters sung by miley cyrus. tbh i dont like the song so will give it a miss. 

If it had been classic Crue I definitely would have gone but I really stopped being interested in Crue after Dr. Feelgood. It probably would have been an okay show but the same year we had so many good bands I was 'showed' out.

I'm going to give the entire Black album anniversary thing a miss. I don't hate the album but there is no way I could listen to an album with so many cover versions of the same song. I do think Miley and Elton make Nothing Else Matter better than Metallica ever did but again I can only handle so much of that album.

I should pick up a copy of Dr. Feelgood. Liked it back in the day. 

Hmmmm....outside of metal, I despised punk when I was in H.S. in the 80's except Ramones and The Clash  overall as a genre and now love a lot of the classic punk bands. 

I think a lot of the go to classic albums have the problem of  over high expectations. Like, when I finally got around to listening to Rainbow's Rising about a year ago...I was like, really? Meh. Now, I think it's pretty great. 

It took me a long time to come around to extreme metal. Anthems was a head scratcher, now I think it's brilliant. Gorgoroth and Emperor could do no wrong. But when I finally got around to listening to A Blaze in the Northern Sky, I just did not get it. Totally dig Darkthrone now. 

I have been waiting for this thread to get over fucking Metallica.

VALBORG - Romantik. On first listen I thought it was static and simplistic.  Repeated listening showed me it is a perfectly crafted work of menace and gleeful unpleasantness.  It helps to read the  - translated  - lyrics, but even before I did that I concluded that the singer had a problem with the world.

Lovely album.

On 9/10/2021 at 12:04 AM, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Way too many tunes, 2 X 4, The House Jack Built, Fuel, Thorn Within, Prince Charming, and especially The Memory Remains all gotta go. But I'd add Bleeding Me and Low Man's Lyric because I like the slow songs. Those 12 would probably fit onto one CD and might even make a halfway decent hard rock album.

Ah man I really dig "The Memory Remains".  I love hard bluesy rock with a nice groove to it.  I just don't turn to Metallica to get that type of music.  I want killer thrash like on their 80's classics.  "Hardwired...to Self Destruct" was a great album, though. 

On 9/10/2021 at 2:22 AM, JamesT said:

And wow!  Yeah, that would be beyond harsh to say "...And Justice for All" is their second worst album.  I think it's their best ever and certainly is part of their classics in the 80's.  I was actually listening to "Hardwired...to Self Destruct" at the gym today and thoroughly enjoying it!  

first off mettalica aside. an album i hated to begin with was pallbearers latest forgotten days. it had doom metal elements to it but others too including to my ears metalica black album, alice in chains and others plus never helped i could not listen to it in full as there'd always be an interuption😫. anyways after fair few listens i really liked it. and prefer it to there previous album heartless as songs are shorter and punchier. 

cool at least we agree load and reload should have been 1 album. we can leave others to decide themselves.  fully loaded is not bad name imo for the load double album. what be good name for album assuming you dont like my idea. your right these 2 albums have some very well written and produced tracks possibly over produced for me.😂 yet saying that i prefer the early albums.

at least and justice is your favourite albums. not many people's that iknow like it, much agree while not perfect people are bit harsh about the album. its not my favourite mettalica album though

2 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

first off mettalica aside. an album i hated to begin with was pallbearers latest forgotten days. it had doom metal elements to it but others too including to my ears metalica black album, alice in chains and others plus never helped i could not listen to it in full as there'd always be an interuption😫. anyways after fair few listens i really liked it. and prefer it to there previous album heartless as songs are shorter and punchier. 

cool at least we agree load and reload should have been 1 album. we can leave others to decide themselves.  fully loaded is not bad name imo for the load double album. what be good name for album assuming you dont like my idea. your right these 2 albums have some very well written and produced tracks possibly over produced for me.😂 yet saying that i prefer the early albums.

at least and justice is your favourite albums. not many people's that iknow like it, much agree while not perfect people are bit harsh about the album. its not my favourite mettalica album though

I love the "Fully Loaded" name!  I'd go with that!  What's your favorite Metallica album?

One album I didn't particular like when I first heard it was Sonic Point Blank by Mechanix.

My initial thoughts were a band that named themselves after a universally known Megadeth song was worth a listen. Then when I heard the vocalist I figured the guy was putting on a Mustaine like voice as some sort of failed cover band remnant and they were riding on too much Mega-worship to get them over the line. But after a few listens, and a listen to their 2013 album I realised whether the vocalist is putting on an act or not he and the rest of the band were doing it well.

Sonic Point Blank might nearly sound like Rust In Peace II but it also stands up by itself as a very listenable thrash album.

On 9/10/2021 at 2:22 AM, JamesT said:

cool that you agree. yeah Metallica fully loaded would be good name too😁 what would you call load and reload best track album

i agree with you and my opinion is very much mettalica early albums are the best as theyve got so much energy and there so interesting to listen too. the other music is ok imo but nearly as good. 

i agree with you re justice album. imo its a flawed album  but its still got some cracking tracks on it. saying it's there worst album is something i dont agree with 

im currently listening to pallbearers forgotten days.its a doom metal i did not like it to begin with. the influences of imo mettalica black album and alice in chains did put me off. but a few plays after long break made all the difference. i like it now. top album

james: have you got any other albums you like now but didn't to begin with

1 hour ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

cool that you agree. yeah Metallica fully loaded would be good name too😁 what would you call load and reload best track album

i agree with you and my opinion is very much mettalica early albums are the best as theyve got so much energy and there so interesting to listen too. the other music is ok imo but nearly as good. 

i agree with you re justice album. imo its a flawed album  but its still got some cracking tracks on it. saying it's there worst album is something i dont agree with 

im currently listening to pallbearers forgotten days.its a doom metal i did not like it to begin with. the influences of imo mettalica black album and alice in chains did put me off. but a few plays after long break made all the difference. i like it now. top album

james: have you got any other albums you like now but didn't to begin with

Very cool!  I've listened to Pallbearer a few times and really like what I've heard!  I used to be more into doom metal than I am now, but I still enjoy it.  I love Candlemass, My Dying Bride and Solitude Aeturnus quite a bit.  

I can't remember if I mentioned this one already, but "City of Evil" by Avenged Sevenfold was one that I really didn't like when I first heard it, and I actually didn't really get into it until 2010, 5 years after it was released.  I suppose my music taste had changed by that time.  "The Crusade" by Trivium is another one.  It was pretty different from the album that had come before it, "Ascendancy", and I wasn't crazy about the change.  But listening to it now, I hear that they had switched to a thrash sound on that album as opposed to the metalcore sound that they employed beforehand.  I love that album now.  

What's your favorite sub-genre of metal?

mutard - inhuman inebriation

i breifly remember finding this one on my youtube reccomended, and it re-enforced my annoyance towards the youtube algorithm. it was really great until the vocals kicked in, but when they did they kinda kicked in like a kick in the balls. you must hear it alot: if you dont like the vocals, the whole stuff is not exactly there. 

wierd thing is, i read the lyrics to the first track, titled "mutard" and actually began to get on board with how funny it was. i was already digging the guitar, so from there it started to grow on me. 

long story short, im now contemplating buying an inhuman inebriation t-shirt offline with what remaining birthday money i have left. i probably will. 

The AK Corral - A Different Brand Of Country.

I'm not a hater of country music, I like listening to songs where the guy falls in love at first sight, fights for the girl, wins the girl, marries her, watches her suffer a horrific accident, possibly in his truck, and then his dog runs away, but I was of the opinion that AK doesn't sing country. First listen and I thought that idea remained true, but then I gave the album a few more chances and I haven't looked back. I got it several years after it came out and I still listen to it a bit and do find myself pleased to hear him say recently he was working on a second album.

On 9/16/2021 at 1:23 AM, JamesT said:

Very cool!  I've listened to Pallbearer a few times and really like what I've heard!  I used to be more into doom metal than I am now, but I still enjoy it.  I love Candlemass, My Dying Bride and Solitude Aeturnus quite a bit.  

I can't remember if I mentioned this one already, but "City of Evil" by Avenged Sevenfold was one that I really didn't like when I first heard it, and I actually didn't really get into it until 2010, 5 years after it was released.  I suppose my music taste had changed by that time.  "The Crusade" by Trivium is another one.  It was pretty different from the album that had come before it, "Ascendancy", and I wasn't crazy about the change.  But listening to it now, I hear that they had switched to a thrash sound on that album as opposed to the metalcore sound that they employed beforehand.  I love that album now.  

What's your favorite sub-genre of metal?

my favourite mettalica album at moment is ride the lightning. tbh its an album i grew to like with more plays. also music tastes dont stay the same in my experience. so my favourite mettalica album will likely change with time. 

cool you like doom metal as well.  maybe less so these days but 👍from me. i know candlemass and dying bride but not the others.may give them a listen 👂👍

people i know have described pallbearer as bit doom light. theres some truth to that imo but i still like there stuff. 

thats interesting what you say about avenged sevenfold and trivium. its good you got to like those records eventually. apparently triviums latest is reckoned to be very good. 

my favourite genre is mostly melodic of all sorts of genres. ive got that for black metal, death/doom metal, viking metal, melodic drone metal. what about you? whats your favourite

On 9/17/2021 at 7:51 PM, eternalcrypt said:

mutard - inhuman inebriation

i breifly remember finding this one on my youtube reccomended, and it re-enforced my annoyance towards the youtube algorithm. it was really great until the vocals kicked in, but when they did they kinda kicked in like a kick in the balls. you must hear it alot: if you dont like the vocals, the whole stuff is not exactly there. 

wierd thing is, i read the lyrics to the first track, titled "mutard" and actually began to get on board with how funny it was. i was already digging the guitar, so from there it started to grow on me. 

long story short, im now contemplating buying an inhuman inebriation t-shirt offline with what remaining birthday money i have left. i probably will. 

that t shirt sounds good for you. im probably gonna buy noctu(2020 release) t shirt if still available. 

6 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

my favourite mettalica album at moment is ride the lightning. tbh its an album i grew to like with more plays. also music tastes dont stay the same in my experience. so my favourite mettalica album will likely change with time. 

cool you like doom metal as well.  maybe less so these days but 👍from me. i know candlemass and dying bride but not the others.may give them a listen 👂👍

people i know have described pallbearer as bit doom light. theres some truth to that imo but i still like there stuff. 

thats interesting what you say about avenged sevenfold and trivium. its good you got to like those records eventually. apparently triviums latest is reckoned to be very good. 

my favourite genre is mostly melodic of all sorts of genres. ive got that for black metal, death/doom metal, viking metal, melodic drone metal. what about you? whats your favourite

that t shirt sounds good for you. im probably gonna buy noctu(2020 release) t shirt if still available. 

That's awesome!  I do enjoy some melody in my metal as well.  I'm not as into power metal as I used to be, but I still really enjoy bands like DragonForce and Orden Ogan quite a bit.  

I'd definitely recommend Solitude Aeturnus if you're a doom metal fan!  Saturnus is another great doom band.  And if you like doom with some gothic flourishes, Virgin Black is a great one.  Trouble and St. Vitus are a couple of classic doom bands to check out as well.

My favorite sub-genre is groove metal, followed closely by thrash metal.  After that, I'd go with traditional heavy metal.  I also enjoy hard rock, good ol' fashioned stripped down rock 'n roll, and blues-based hard rock/metal.  PanterA is my favorite band of all time.  Another great modern groove metal band is Betzefer (from Israel).  The Red Coil, Hell's Fire, Stoneghost, Behind the Smokescreen, The Helldozers, and Blessed Hellride are some more groove-oriented metal bands, if you'd like to check them out as well.  Rock on!!