Albums You Love With Artwork You Hate

Parker

I've never considered the Master Of Puppets album to be a graveyard because of how close the crosses are and how long the grass around them was. I've always assumed it was more a memorial area, small crosses planted one behind the other to represent a total number rather than individual people. Given the lyrics of the song and that there is only two obvious military items in the image I've also assumed it's more about drug use, hence the hands pulling the strings from above controlling the user. But hey I've been wrong before I'm sure I'll be wrong again.

23 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

I've never considered the Master Of Puppets album to be a graveyard because of how close the crosses are and how long the grass around them was. I've always assumed it was more a memorial area, small crosses planted one behind the other to represent a total number rather than individual people. Given the lyrics of the song and that there is only two obvious military items in the image I've also assumed it's more about drug use, hence the hands pulling the strings from above controlling the user. But hey I've been wrong before I'm sure I'll be wrong again.

I like that take, I always saw it as pulling together Master Of Puppets and Disposable Heroes.

It could well be that too. I'm not sure how much thought Lars and Co put into their lyrics and covers being related.

I always figured any connection to the military in Master was more about the fact that so many return service people ended up letting drugs become their master, as did every day people.

Maybe we are all wrong and it's Lars depicting how he wants to be in control of everything :)

I went down a rabbit hole of looking at Hipgnosis album covers yesterday because I pondered what they may have done with the Master of Puppets field of crosses concept (it was the band's idea) if they had had a go at it.

Not all Hipgnosis covers were great...but I still think they'd have done a better job. Metallica should have had money for it by then because they were signed to Elektra. Back in the hey day of the record industry Hipgnosis asked Led Zeppelin's manager (for Houses of the Holy shoot)  "what is the budget?" and were told "whatever it takes, see the accountant on the way out and get whatever you need."

Clients who write blank cheques are the best kind of client.

On 9/23/2021 at 3:40 AM, Balor said:

It is a monstrosity - pure and simple!

agreed. theyve got so many great covers iron maiden but your posted cover of theres is one i dont like. im not sure what they was thinking. maybe they had too many 🥃🥃 when they approved the cover. 😂  im assuming its proper artist who did the cover and not steve harris's children. 

On 9/23/2021 at 7:10 PM, zackflag said:

Alright, here's a few of mine...

Battles in the North - Wikipedia

Immortal - Battles In the North

Great album, one of Immortal's best, imo, but that cover is just plain stupid. If this was a simple black and white cover like the classic Darkthrone covers it wouldn't be nearly as bad, but that plain white background is terrible.

Millennium (Monstrosity album) - Wikipedia

Monstrosity - Millennium 

Musically, one of the better examples of technical death metal done well. That cover though..... not so much. Every time I look at it I'm baffled as to what I'm actually looking at. The artist who rendered it probably didn't know either lol.

Slaughtersun (Crown of the Triarchy) - Wikipedia

Dawn - Slaughtersun

One of the best black metal albums ever, but I can't stand the cover. Just simply not a cool image, doesn't suit the music either. Visually there's too much orange and yellow and it honestly hurts my eyes haha. They could've done a lot better here.

zack flag the montrosity millennium cover is obvious right. theyve set up a way too easy easter egg hunt. seriously wtf. wheres the challenge. making it so hard to find the easter eggs so you find them 9 months later is more fun imo. perhaps this is just me 😂 for that reason alone i dont like the cover😁

4 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

agreed. theyve got so many great covers iron maiden but your posted cover of theres is one i dont like. im not sure what they was thinking. maybe they had too many 🥃🥃 when they approved the cover. 😂  im assuming its proper artist who did the cover and not steve harris's children. 

At least it is memorable, I guess!  CGI will never replace good, hand-done artwork, that's for sure.

On 9/27/2021 at 3:08 AM, Balor said:

At least it is memorable, I guess!  CGI will never replace good, hand-done artwork, that's for sure.

memorable imo as an example how not to do a cover. im sure some people like the cover. 

there is something about hand done artwork which cgi cant quite do imo. your right.  i got an abstract print of a painting my mum did. some might call it a mess but id say its a mess with artistic merit so i like it. hows your art going balor. have you found time to do some stuff?

On 9/29/2021 at 3:42 PM, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

memorable imo as an example how not to do a cover. im sure some people like the cover. 

there is something about hand done artwork which cgi cant quite do imo. your right.  i got an abstract print of a painting my mum did. some might call it a mess but id say its a mess with artistic merit so i like it. hows your art going balor. have you found time to do some stuff?

I have been working on a few collages, and I am technically supposed to be writing a death metal song for an online contest - but I have really been slacking on both!

Did you inherit any artistic genes from your mom?

12 hours ago, Balor said:

I have been working on a few collages, and I am technically supposed to be writing a death metal song for an online contest - but I have really been slacking on both!

Did you inherit any artistic genes from your mom?

Sadly no artistic genes passed on from my mum that I'm aware of. My mum has lessons which helps her alot. For some people really do amazing work with a good teacher. I did gardening for an old lady while back and she did the most amazing realistic portraits of animals with the help of a good teacher. There's hope for me yet.   My best work has been cartoon stuff so far. Abstract art is my favourite to do. Sounds very easy but I find it not so. Easy to overdo an abstract work imo

How are your callages going balor. What materials are you using for those? You can use most things so maybe not such a daft question. 

Good luck with death metal song. Will you post it web when your done. What bands will be influences for this track

18 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Sadly no artistic genes passed on from my mum that I'm aware of. My mum has lessons which helps her alot. For some people really do amazing work with a good teacher. I did gardening for an old lady while back and she did the most amazing realistic portraits of animals with the help of a good teacher. There's hope for me yet.   My best work has been cartoon stuff so far. Abstract art is my favourite to do. Sounds very easy but I find it not so. Easy to overdo an abstract work imo

How are your callages going balor. What materials are you using for those? You can use most things so maybe not such a daft question. 

Good luck with death metal song. Will you post it web when your done. What bands will be influences for this track

Abstract art is always fun to experiment with.  I agree that it can be overdone quickly.  People really underestimate the skill of the masters.

My collages are made from newspaper images, but mostly text.  No ideas yet for death metal, but I will be sure to share it here when (if!) I get it done.

18 hours ago, Balor said:

Abstract art is always fun to experiment with.  I agree that it can be overdone quickly.  People really underestimate the skill of the masters.

My collages are made from newspaper images, but mostly text.  No ideas yet for death metal, but I will be sure to share it here when (if!) I get it done.

Balor look forward to hearing your death metal track when(if) it gets done.😄 Cool re your collages medium. 

Definitely agree with you about the abstract masters and mistresses tbh I know the masters only but there must be a few excellent lady abstract painters.

I remember being impressed when researching these famous abstract artists I'd heard of but knew little of last year. Time we'll spent

• 4 weeks later...