Albums You Love With Artwork You Hate

Parker

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Depraved said:

Image result for mgla groza

Mgla - Groza

Great music but that cover looks like dog shit, especially compared to the Renaissance art inspired and/or creepy silent film-esque covers for all their other albums.

Gotta disagree, for my own taste this is the best cover they've had. It's recognizable, grotesque, creepy, and emotive. I love the textures.

15 hours ago, Depraved said:

Image result for mgla groza

Mgla - Groza

Great music but that cover looks like dog shit, especially compared to the Renaissance art inspired and/or creepy silent film-esque covers for all their other albums.

I always loved this art also, though I have not spent much time on the album.  Reminds me of a cross between the styles of Goya and Francis Bacon.

Do you like the cover of their new album?

I don't mind the Mgla - 'Groza' cover either. It's not my favourite, but it's still pretty cool and captures some existential angst which lies at the heart of a lot of their music. 

And yes, @Balor, I do like the artwork of their latest album. A horsed judgemental figure sweeping across the populace of unthinking suburbanites = on topic. 

9 hours ago, Requiem said:

I don't mind the Mgla - 'Groza' cover either. It's not my favourite, but it's still pretty cool and captures some existential angst which lies at the heart of a lot of their music. 

And yes, @Balor, I do like the artwork of their latest album. A horsed judgemental figure sweeping across the populace of unthinking suburbanites = on topic. 

I feel the existential aspect of the artwork also.  That's why I like it as much as I do.  It just seems to fit with the music extremely well.

As for Age of Excuse, I really am starting to come around on the album, and am increasingly enjoying it as I listen to it more.  But I just cannot like the cover art, I just can't.  It doesn't match their old imagery, and seems too contrived.  The art that they have used in the past seemed to be a piece that was selected in order to match the music, but that one strikes me as a piece created to do so.  It appears (visually) superficial where the other art is deep.  Though, the message that you infer from it sounds correct, which means that at least thematically, it matches the album.

23 minutes ago, Athame said:

R-574208-1202485521.jpeg.jpg 

Laughably bad artwork!  What I think is problematic about this album cover is that I really cannot tell what it is an image of.  I mean, I get that it is a robot soldier or something, but the angle and pose make the image confused an nonsensical.

I like what I have heard from the album, though.

12 hours ago, Balor said:

Laughably bad artwork!  What I think is problematic about this album cover is that I really cannot tell what it is an image of.  I mean, I get that it is a robot soldier or something, but the angle and pose make the image confused an nonsensical.

I like what I have heard from the album, though.

Is that an arm coming out of the robot's face? Pointing a finger at something? "There it is, over there!"

If so, why and how does that help this metallic combatant? It actually hurts to look at because it's not right, anatomically, logically and morally. Yes, it's immoral. 

9 hours ago, Requiem said:

Is that an arm coming out of the robot's face? Pointing a finger at something? "There it is, over there!"

If so, why and how does that help this metallic combatant? It actually hurts to look at because it's not right, anatomically, logically and morally. Yes, it's immoral. 

If you could actually see the robot's head, then it would not be so bad!  As it is, the art looks like a screenshot out of a bad video game.

10 hours ago, Grievous said:

My apologies...

I didn't realize it was an issue for two people to have the same opinion.

Don't take it personally. Sharing opinions is fine. Duplicate posts are annoying. They make it look like you didn't read the thread. If you want to make a point and someone's already made it, you can always quote them and express your agreement. And yes, that album cover sucks.

1 hour ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Don't take it personally. Sharing opinions is fine. Duplicate posts are annoying. They make it look like you didn't read the thread. If you want to make a point and someone's already made it, you can always quote them and express your agreement. And yes, that album cover sucks.

Well...I didn't read the thread. I saw the title & the first album that sprang to mind was what I posted.

I will keep a closer eye on what I post in future.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 11/20/2019 at 8:04 PM, Balor said:

Who thought that was a good idea? Was this ever even considered good animation?

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

i agree balor. just looks bad. whats the point of it all. i just dont get it. also from what i can see  whats the baby in a mask doing standing on a wolf in a bikini. its just weirding me out. 😫

The last post made my morning. Killers was my favourite.

Apologies if it has been posted before ....

This is a shit album cover. The crosses are too close together and why are the hands puppeteering fixed objects? It doesn't make any sense. The grass is ok I suppose. 

Come to think of it, all Metallica album covers are shit. The best is probably Kill 'Em All and that is still pretty shit. 

And....what did Patrick Swayze have to do with Music for Nations...was he a shareholder?

master2.jpg.09af1607db648cb4bfe86304a7adab3d.jpg

It is fairly obvious what I was listening to at lunchtime while having these epiphanies.

Always interesting to hear what works and what doesn't for different people. I think the Puppets cover is a really good illustration, even putting its iconic status aside. It pulls ideas from a couple different songs on the album into an instantly recognizable design that's boldly graphic while still having enough detail to be worth an extended look. It's well executed. The imagery and the color scheme are evocative - ominous sky, crowded military graveyard that goes on as far as the eye can see, creepy hands in the sky conveying the idea that someone with a lot of power is hiding behind the scenes using people and sending them to their deaths in ignorance of how they were being controlled... Yeah, it works. I wouldn't put it in a museum, but that's not what it's for.

That does look like Patrick Swayze, or maybe if Butt-Head went to boot camp.

Alright, here's a few of mine...

Battles in the North - Wikipedia

Immortal - Battles In the North

Great album, one of Immortal's best, imo, but that cover is just plain stupid. If this was a simple black and white cover like the classic Darkthrone covers it wouldn't be nearly as bad, but that plain white background is terrible.

Millennium (Monstrosity album) - Wikipedia

Monstrosity - Millennium 

Musically, one of the better examples of technical death metal done well. That cover though..... not so much. Every time I look at it I'm baffled as to what I'm actually looking at. The artist who rendered it probably didn't know either lol.

Slaughtersun (Crown of the Triarchy) - Wikipedia

Dawn - Slaughtersun

One of the best black metal albums ever, but I can't stand the cover. Just simply not a cool image, doesn't suit the music either. Visually there's too much orange and yellow and it honestly hurts my eyes haha. They could've done a lot better here.