Jump to content

Anybody into DM and BM have a shameful hair band that they couldnt help but love?


Deadbydawn
 Share

Recommended Posts

True Belief reporting for duty.

 

Yes, both myself and the almighty Requiem enjoy the ‘light’ and the ‘shade’. From Mayhem & Marduk all the way through to Whitsnake, Warrant, the Crüe and the mighty Skid Row.

 

As grim and frost bitten as you may be, you owe it to yourself to borrow your sister’s pants, grab a pina colada and cruise the Sunset Strip. Join us.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 5:59 AM, True Belief said:

True Belief reporting for duty.

 

Yes, both myself and the almighty Requiem enjoy the ‘light’ and the ‘shade’. From Mayhem & Marduk all the way through to Whitsnake, Warrant, the Crüe and the mighty Skid Row.

 

As grim and frost bitten as you may be, you owe it to yourself to borrow your sister’s pants, grab a pina colada and cruise the Sunset Strip. Join us.

 

 

I'll second that, never got into Warrant though. I do hate Poison though and the pop side of cock rock. But the heavier side of cock rock I still like. I still listen to old Van Halen quite often. Some of the best singers were in cock rock, David Lee Roth, Axl Rose, Sebastian Bach, good stuff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/10/2019 at 12:20 PM, the_thrashing said:

I'll second that, never got into Warrant though. I do hate Poison though and the pop side of cock rock. But the heavier side of cock rock I still like. I still listen to old Van Halen quite often. Some of the best singers were in cock rock, David Lee Roth, Axl Rose, Sebastian Bach, good stuff.

Agreed, all 3 were really powerful front men and imhp--- I'd say Sebastian Bach had the better set of pipes.  To this day I still crank up the volume and play " Wasted Time" by Skid Row .

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/7/2019 at 6:50 AM, Deadbydawn said:

So, I've always gravitated towards heavier or darker misic,bit I'll be damned if I don't still love Motley Crue's " Too Fast For Love"  They vocals and mudic were soooooooo good and their asthetic st that time was really kind of unique even though it borrowed from other genres like Glam and Punk.

Requiem reporting for duty. 

Hair metal is one of the joys of rock n roll. 

Motley Crue, Skid Row, Warrant (hail Jani Lane), 80s Whitesnake, 80s Kiss. 

The energy, the enthusiasm, the coolness. 

It’s the music that got me into metal, gateway bands all. 

There’s family talk of a trip to California to see my sister in 2021 and I’m already planning my Rainbow Bar and Grill day. 

13 hours ago, Deadbydawn said:

Agreed, all 3 were really powerful front men and imhp--- I'd say Sebastian Bach had the better set of pipes.  To this day I still crank up the volume and play " Wasted Time" by Skid Row .

 

Sebastian Bach was the greatest rock singer of all time. Untouchable. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Requiem said:

Requiem reporting for duty. 

Hair metal is one of the joys of rock n roll. 

Motley Crue, Skid Row, Warrant (hail Jani Lane), 80s Whitesnake, 80s Kiss. 

The energy, the enthusiasm, the coolness. 

It’s the music that got me into metal, gateway bands all. 

There’s family talk of a trip to California to see my sister in 2021 and I’m already planning my Rainbow Bar and Grill day. 

Sebastian Bach was the greatest rock singer of all time. Untouchable. 

I heard there is a Lemme statue at the Rainbow now. Last time I was in LA, I wanted to go there to see it so bad but I didn't make it.

Bring lots of money, Hollywood in general is ridiculously expensive, especially the Rainbow. It's weird how it's set up. it costs money just to get in but you get I think 2 drinks with the entrance fee, then to get to other VIP floors/rooms you have to pay again but I think it comes with a drink too. I haven't been there in at least 10 years so I'm not sure about now.

They'll get you for about $10 or $12 on parking there too anywhere on Sunset. I think only during the day you could find it for $8.50 but it could be even more now.

 

By the way, you guys ever heard of Asphalt Ballet? I listen to them once in a while. Kind of an obscure cock rock band I found out about from a biker movie.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, the_thrashing said:

I heard there is a Lemme statue at the Rainbow now. Last time I was in LA, I wanted to go there to see it so bad but I didn't make it.

Bring lots of money, Hollywood in general is ridiculously expensive, especially the Rainbow. It's weird how it's set up. it costs money just to get in but you get I think 2 drinks with the entrance fee, then to get to other VIP floors/rooms you have to pay again but I think it comes with a drink too. I haven't been there in at least 10 years so I'm not sure about now.

They'll get you for about $10 or $12 on parking there too anywhere on Sunset. I think only during the day you could find it for $8.50 but it could be even more now.

 

By the way, you guys ever heard of Asphalt Ballet? I listen to them once in a while. Kind of an obscure cock rock band I found out about from a biker movie.

It’s Lemmy.

And I’ve been to the Rainbow twice and it was free to get in both times. At least I think so. I walked everywhere and partied hard. 

Last time I was there was a Tuesday and there was hardly anyone there. It was awesome. 

Hollywood’s great. I love it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 By the way, you guys ever heard of Asphalt Ballet? I listen to them once in a while. Kind of an obscure cock rock band I found out about from a biker movie.

 

 

Yeah, reminded me a little of Spread Eagle, perhaps a little more blues inspired than the mighty ‘Eagle’ were. Arrive a little late to the party from memory and didn’t get a lot of traction. I’ve got the debut - nice guitar tone.

 

You might like Dirty Looks’ debut if you like AB.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/13/2019 at 12:57 AM, Requiem said:

Requiem reporting for duty. 

Hair metal is one of the joys of rock n roll. 

Motley Crue, Skid Row, Warrant (hail Jani Lane), 80s Whitesnake, 80s Kiss. 

The energy, the enthusiasm, the coolness. 

It’s the music that got me into metal, gateway bands all. 

There’s family talk of a trip to California to see my sister in 2021 and I’m already planning my Rainbow Bar and Grill day. 

Sebastian Bach was the greatest rock singer of all time. Untouchable. 

Im not sure where I'd rank the man on greatest of all time ,but he'd be on the list.  Incredible range ,really emotive and sells whatever hes singing.  Skid's version of Little Wing......man tjats gpod,

He doesnt get his due tbough and that sucks - doesn't matter if he waa all glam-eed cocl roclec out or not......dude could sing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 years later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Join Metal Forum

    joinus-home.jpg

  • Our picks

    • Whichever tier of thrash metal you consigned Sacred Reich back in the 80's/90's they still had their moments.  "Ignorance" & "Surf Nicaragura" did a great job of establishing the band, whereas "The American Way" just got a little to comfortable and accessible (the title track grates nowadays) for my ears.  A couple more records better left forgotten about and then nothing for twenty three years.  2019 alone has now seen three releases from Phil Rind and co.  A live EP, a split EP with Iron Reagan and now a full length.

      Notable addition to the ranks for the current throng of releases is former Machine Head sticksman, Dave McClean.  Love or hate Machine Head, McClean is a more than capable drummer and his presence here is felt from the off with the opening and title track kicking things off with some real gusto.  'Divide & Conquer' and 'Salvation' muddle along nicely, never quite reaching any quality that would make my balls tingle but comfortable enough.  The looming build to 'Manifest Reality' delivers a real punch when the song starts proper.  Frenzied riffs and drums with shots of lead work to hold the interest.


      There's a problem already though (I know, I am such a fucking mood hoover).  I don't like Phil's vocals.  I never had if I am being honest.  The aggression to them seems a little forced even when they are at their best on tracks like 'Manifest Reality'.  When he tries to sing it just feels weak though ('Salvation') and tracks lose real punch.  Give him a riffy number such as 'Killing Machine' and he is fine with the Reich engine (probably a poor choice of phrase) up in sixth gear.  For every thrashy riff there's a fair share of rock edged, local bar act rhythm aplenty too.

      Let's not poo-poo proceedings though, because overall I actually enjoy "Awakening".  It is stacked full of catchy riffs that are sticky on the old ears.  Whilst not as raw as perhaps the - brilliant - artwork suggests with its black and white, tattoo flash sheet style design it is enjoyable enough.  Yes, 'Death Valley' & 'Something to Believe' have no place here, saved only by Arnett and Radziwill's lead work but 'Revolution' is a fucking 80's thrash heyday throwback to the extent that if you turn the TV on during it you might catch a new episode of Cheers!

      3/5
      • Reputation Points

      • 11 replies
    • I
      • Reputation Points

      • 1 reply
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/52-vltimas-something-wicked-marches-in/
      • Reputation Points

      • 3 replies

    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/48-candlemass-the-door-to-doom/
      • Reputation Points

      • 1 reply
    • Full length number 19 from overkill certainly makes a splash in the energy stakes, I mean there's some modern thrash bands that are a good two decades younger than Overkill who can only hope to achieve the levels of spunk that New Jersey's finest produce here.  That in itself is an achievement, for a band of Overkill's stature and reputation to be able to still sound relevant four decades into their career is no mean feat.  Even in the albums weaker moments it never gets redundant and the energy levels remain high.  There's a real sense of a band in a state of some renewed vigour, helped in no small part by the addition of Jason Bittner on drums.  The former Flotsam & Jetsam skinsman is nothing short of superb throughout "The Wings of War" and seems to have squeezed a little extra out of the rest of his peers.

      The album kicks of with a great build to opening track "Last Man Standing" and for the first 4 tracks of the album the Overkill crew stomp, bash and groove their way to a solid level of consistency.  The lead work is of particular note and Blitz sounds as sneery and scathing as ever.  The album is well produced and mixed too with all parts of the thrash machine audible as the five piece hammer away at your skull with the usual blend of chugging riffs and infectious anthems.  


      There are weak moments as mentioned but they are more a victim of how good the strong tracks are.  In it's own right "Distortion" is a solid enough - if not slightly varied a journey from the last offering - but it just doesn't stand up well against a "Bat Shit Crazy" or a "Head of a Pin".  As the album draws to a close you get the increasing impression that the last few tracks are rescued really by some great solos and stomping skin work which is a shame because trimming of a couple of tracks may have made this less obvious. 

      4/5
      • Reputation Points

      • 4 replies
×
×
  • Create New...