Genres you dislike/hate and why?

the_thrashing

I mean for this to be a discussion of WHY you don't like something. Please go into detail of what irritates you about your picks. I don't want this just to be an insult-fest.

And please list any exceptions you have to said genres that you don't like and what it is about them that you see as being better than the rest.

1. Metalcore -

I have heard a lot of songs with a killer thrashy riff that gets me going then the breakdown comes and kills it for me. I cannot say that I hate all breakdowns because other genres like thrash, traditional heavy metal, 80s hardcore punk, grindcore etc do have breakdowns that I do like and I can't say that it's because it's too cookie cutter either because every genre has that and I love the cookie cutter formula of certain genres. I do not like the metalcore breakdown formula. I don't know why but it irritates me.

Sacred cows of metalcore that I do love and don't even consider metalcore, I consider them crossover. The 80's and very early 90s NYHC scene, Agnostic Front- I don't like the oi demo stuff but all of the 80s stuff after that up until about 1992 One voice album is all great. Sick of it All's first album from 89 and the demo from 85 with some of the same songs is even better. CroMags I like everything from them except the comeback album Revenge, both the more hc punk stuff and the crossover/thrash stuff. As far as the Age of Quarrell the most popular album and debut. The demos put out under the title Before the Quarell is the same songs but rawer, faster and more aggressive. Just better all the way around. Integrity also gets lumped in with these bands and I like them, I consider them to be hc punk just after that genre was already over.

My exceptions that I do consider to be metalcore-

Ringworm, Terror, Nails, Sworn Enemy and a few Hate Breed songs. (I like the first 3 bands a lot more). The breakdowns here just don't irritate me as much and they do bring the heavy.

2. Numetal-

Exceptions for me-

I do like about half of the big names, none of them are my favorite bands but I do enjoy System of a Down's first album, first 2 Slipknot albums, first Drowning Pool, Godsmack, some early Korn songs and a few Mudvayne singles after they cutback on gimmicks and started the clean singing. None of them were really into rapping, even though Korn does have that influence in the music, it made them stand out, different but also why I don't like all of their stuff.

Why I don't like it-

To me what makes a genre good is that there are a flood of good lesser known underground acts in said genre. Numetal just doesn't have that in my opinion. All of my exceptions are not something I listen to regularly but if I am somewhere else or in someone's car and I hear it, it does put a smile on my face and a million times better than hearing rap or pop for me. I remember a million lesser known numetal bands that I didn't like at all at the time coming out on radio or Ozzfest like Mushroomhead, Motorgrater, Flaw, Adema, Chevelle, Head PE, Dope etc that just made me cringe.

Also the complete lack of guitar solos as I love solos. I am not into rap at all and never liked Limp Bizkit, Kid Rock, Linkin Park etc. I always saw metal as the opposite of rap, like metal was the opposite of disco in the 70s. For me the mixing of the 2 genres just doesn't mesh well together. I do have an exception to that too with Faith No More but that's it for me as far as rap in metal/hard rock. The cookie cutter down tuned don don da don chug formula of numetal just wasn't as much to my liking compared to the formulas of other genres like osdm and thrash for instance. A lot of that stuff sounds the same too but I like that.

3- Cock rock/glam/hair metal whatever you want to call it-

I have a lot of exceptions in this genre, the heavier side of it that borders the line of hard rock and heavy metal I happen to really like. So for this one I have so many exceptions that I can't say I hate the whole genre just the pop side of it but that was at least half of this genre if not 70-80%. It is the poppier side like Poison, Bon Jovi, Def Leppard etc that I don't like. Why I don't like it is that it's basicly pop with guitars, it's not metal at all and I wouldn't call it hard rock either because it's not hard, not heavy. So I'm just not a huge pop fan and this stuff is pop.

Although the worst hair metal I have ever heard outside of Poison is Nitro a band that was quite extreme with the shredding and singer who could break glass with a falsetto. It just didn't work for me even though I do like the idea of what they were going for.

Exceptions-

Scorpions, early Van Halen, GNR, Skid Row, first 2 Motley Crue albums and Dr feelgood, WASP, Dokken, Leatherwolf, Twisted Sister, Alice Cooper, Asphalt Ballet, a few Babylon AD songs etc I'm sure I'm missing a few but you get it, the heavier side of it even though they all have some pop tinges to them as well.

Djent

Djent is the first genre in history to kill itself in a matter of years from sheer over saturation. Basically Periphery and Volumes put out some music with the signature djenty production value and within a matter of years so many bands had come out with the exact same style that after a while you couldn't find a substantial way to distinguish them from one another. By far the biggest problem I have with it is the production value. Every little detail is so tight and clean it sounds mechanical. Some bands can pull it off, but then you have bands like Within The Ruins that made an album with triggered fucking guitars that might as well be made entirely on a PC for how overproduced it is.

• 1 month later...
On 10/7/2019 at 3:36 PM, Garrador said:

Djent

Djent is the first genre in history to kill itself in a matter of years from sheer over saturation. Basically Periphery and Volumes put out some music with the signature djenty production value and within a matter of years so many bands had come out with the exact same style that after a while you couldn't find a substantial way to distinguish them from one another. By far the biggest problem I have with it is the production value. Every little detail is so tight and clean it sounds mechanical. Some bands can pull it off, but then you have bands like Within The Ruins that made an album with triggered fucking guitars that might as well be made entirely on a PC for how overproduced it is.

Yeah djent is rough. When I first heard it I was like "oh cool it's like Meshuggah but a whole style" and then every geometric-themed album cover and band names that are sentences (discarding the fact that my band name is a complete English sentence) I got totally knocked out by how similar they all sounded. I totally agree that the lack of solid riffs and the identical sanitary production style really doesn't help it at all. Also the vocalists all sound like they are doing this weird thing that I can't quite place, but it's like they are doing that thing that teenagers do where they sound like they are yelling but quietly, and then just cranking up the gain

Yeah I have to agree with you a lot on these. I cannot stand metalcore. It's like the frat boy version of metal, it's not interesting, and it all sounds the same to me. Most boring and generic tripe I've heard outside of pop and/or rap. Unfortunately where I live, local shows have been inundated with metalcore bands for like 10 years now and it's nearly impossible to catch a band that isn't metalcore.

Same with numetal. It's just the stupidest hybrid genre I've ever heard. Makes me cringe. Also it reminds me of high school because everyone was listening to it back then. Ugh.

(I actually like glam/hair bands though lol. Well to a certain extent; it's about the heaviest thing I can get away with playing at work and it's really grown on me. Motley Crue, Scorpions, and Dokken all the way.)

Idk wtf djent is but from the description alone, I already know I hate it.  Okay, just listened to some of it. And I was right. **Yawn**

Other genres I can't stand:

Industrial

Sludge

Stoner

Symphonic (actually I wouldn't mind this too much if not for the operatic vocals)

Pretty much anything else that ends in "-core". ?

I feel OP pegged most of the worst genres, and Garrador slaughtered another like a ripe hog.

I may piss some people off here, but I would like to add a few more.

Blackgaze - Fuck off, hipsters, stay away from black metal.  Even your tastes in indie rock are actually just rehashed post-punk from the 80s that you think are new and amazing.  Die burning and screaming in liquid boiling shit.  Blackgaze is what was left of black metal after people who only liked metal ironically turned bm into an easily-consumed dildo and shoved it in their collective rectum, merely for the kitsch-value, of course.  Let's hope they all croak and shart as they die.  

Post-metal - What a fucking boring jack off fest.  Your largely riffless stews of meandering turd are utterly worthless.  No one cares about your fucking dumb sound textures, you're not fucking Xenakis.  Fuck off bespectacled dickheads, metal will not end until mankind ends in an infernal cataclysmic destruction; there is nothing after metal.    

Deathcore - This genre made breakdowns even more stupid than plain old metalcore breakdowns, forever tainting the term (which one can find a classic example of say, in Morbid Angel's "Suffocation").  Deathcore is a wigger pit thug butthole fest, whenever I have to endure these dumb losers opening for a band I cringe and wish I didn't fear life in prison.