Thanks for including me! Yᵒᵘ Oᶰˡʸ Lᶤᵛᵉ Oᶰᶜᵉ so let's ROCK IT!!!

par9noid

Greetings all... it's with my extreme gratitude to be here amongst ALL of you AMAZING PEOPLE HERE today!    \m/...(>.<)…\m/

I've always been a huge audiophile my entire life and have what I's say is an extremely large music collection I've amassed over the many years.  Even though I've been to hell and back several times I've always managed to keep my collection complete as I'd throw down in a heartbeat to protect it!  Through all of life's challenges and some even of my own bad choices it's always been the MUSIC in my life that keeps me focused onto what's important (my inner peace of mind).  Everything in life is temporary - even life itself but I've discovered for me that no matter what darkness awaits or what friends I'll continue to lose to the streets my MUSIC will be my "Co-Pilot"!!! I've developed tastes to a lot of different genres through the decades but METAL is what's only stuck with me for the long haul... now with so many sub-genres I find it very challenging to even identify between some of them as this internet and all of it's ill-trained authors have let things get out of control in that regard... but the HUGE TRADE OFF (for me anyway) is having everyone here to get to know and learn about bands/musicians within the METAL world I'd never have ever found alone.  I only hope I can also contribute here to some of you as well...  time will certainly tell us all and I remain eager to cross paths with all of you at some point... 

Here's some flavors of Metal that I'm still going strong over... maybe anyone who dared to read this far might also recognize or identify some of these groups as their own favorites too.  I'd like to invite anyone to reply with any of their own favorites that play off any of the following.. unless that should become a new thread. Honestly this is a first FORUM post I've dared to make!  Anyway, here's some groups that have helped me stay out of my own head and give me some amazing energy to PLOW through anything!!!

Tool (of course), Black Sabbath, EARLY Blue Oyster Cult (first 2 albums pretty much), Monster Magnet, Clutch, Soundgarden, Hellyeah, Opeth, OTEP!!!, Ministry, Dope, Alice in Chains, Municipal Waste, Gojira, Dagoba, Wo Fat, Elder, In Flames, Fear Factory, Dry Kill Logic, Six Feet Under, Cannabis Corpse, Barry the Mortician, Dopelord, Orange Goblin, Lich King, Sepultura, Slayer, Spacelord, Kyuss, In Flames, Lacuna Coil, Walls of Jericho, Lamb of God, Pantera, Primer 55, High on FIre, SNOT (R.I.P. Lynn Strait!!), Mushroomhead, Prong, Stoned Jesus, Planet of Zeus..... I could keep going on and on there's so many amazing groups out there and like I said above, I can't wait to find MORE by sharing some time together in here with you all!

Thanks again for allowing your gates to swing open for me to stroll in here with you on this fine day!  Be well and all the best for health and happiness!!

@ Balor, thanks for warm welcome!  I should have taken pics last house I lived in but didn't get around to it... those days I was married and during those years I was drawn away from my collection... "honey-do" distractions...LOL  Recently I've relocated from West Palm Beach, FL up to outside of Richmond, VA area and most everything I still own is in storage while I'm staying with family that is struggling with cancer to help out while I figure out where I'm going to work next!!  At least I had converted a boat load into digital medium like FLAC and MP3 that is what I'm finding joy in while at family's house... also, you'll have to stop by the radio station I've included as part of my signature.... WOW they have EVERYTHING covered within the several metal stations... a bunch of GREAT guys too!!!  I'll start a separate post to talk more about that as I know this is merely and introduction place...

Thanks again for the immediate welcome, brother!  I hope you're able to have an amazing weekend wherever and whatever you're getting into... 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join Metal Forum

joinus-home.jpg

• Our picks

• Whichever tier of thrash metal you consigned Sacred Reich back in the 80's/90's they still had their moments.  "Ignorance" & "Surf Nicaragura" did a great job of establishing the band, whereas "The American Way" just got a little to comfortable and accessible (the title track grates nowadays) for my ears.  A couple more records better left forgotten about and then nothing for twenty three years.  2019 alone has now seen three releases from Phil Rind and co.  A live EP, a split EP with Iron Reagan and now a full length.

Notable addition to the ranks for the current throng of releases is former Machine Head sticksman, Dave McClean.  Love or hate Machine Head, McClean is a more than capable drummer and his presence here is felt from the off with the opening and title track kicking things off with some real gusto.  'Divide & Conquer' and 'Salvation' muddle along nicely, never quite reaching any quality that would make my balls tingle but comfortable enough.  The looming build to 'Manifest Reality' delivers a real punch when the song starts proper.  Frenzied riffs and drums with shots of lead work to hold the interest.

There's a problem already though (I know, I am such a fucking mood hoover).  I don't like Phil's vocals.  I never had if I am being honest.  The aggression to them seems a little forced even when they are at their best on tracks like 'Manifest Reality'.  When he tries to sing it just feels weak though ('Salvation') and tracks lose real punch.  Give him a riffy number such as 'Killing Machine' and he is fine with the Reich engine (probably a poor choice of phrase) up in sixth gear.  For every thrashy riff there's a fair share of rock edged, local bar act rhythm aplenty too.

Let's not poo-poo proceedings though, because overall I actually enjoy "Awakening".  It is stacked full of catchy riffs that are sticky on the old ears.  Whilst not as raw as perhaps the - brilliant - artwork suggests with its black and white, tattoo flash sheet style design it is enjoyable enough.  Yes, 'Death Valley' & 'Something to Believe' have no place here, saved only by Arnett and Radziwill's lead work but 'Revolution' is a fucking 80's thrash heyday throwback to the extent that if you turn the TV on during it you might catch a new episode of Cheers!

3/5
      • Reputation Points

• 10 replies
    • I
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/52-vltimas-something-wicked-marches-in/
      • Reputation Points

• 3 replies

• https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/48-candlemass-the-door-to-doom/
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • Full length number 19 from overkill certainly makes a splash in the energy stakes, I mean there's some modern thrash bands that are a good two decades younger than Overkill who can only hope to achieve the levels of spunk that New Jersey's finest produce here.  That in itself is an achievement, for a band of Overkill's stature and reputation to be able to still sound relevant four decades into their career is no mean feat.  Even in the albums weaker moments it never gets redundant and the energy levels remain high.  There's a real sense of a band in a state of some renewed vigour, helped in no small part by the addition of Jason Bittner on drums.  The former Flotsam & Jetsam skinsman is nothing short of superb throughout "The Wings of War" and seems to have squeezed a little extra out of the rest of his peers.

The album kicks of with a great build to opening track "Last Man Standing" and for the first 4 tracks of the album the Overkill crew stomp, bash and groove their way to a solid level of consistency.  The lead work is of particular note and Blitz sounds as sneery and scathing as ever.  The album is well produced and mixed too with all parts of the thrash machine audible as the five piece hammer away at your skull with the usual blend of chugging riffs and infectious anthems.  

There are weak moments as mentioned but they are more a victim of how good the strong tracks are.  In it's own right "Distortion" is a solid enough - if not slightly varied a journey from the last offering - but it just doesn't stand up well against a "Bat Shit Crazy" or a "Head of a Pin".  As the album draws to a close you get the increasing impression that the last few tracks are rescued really by some great solos and stomping skin work which is a shame because trimming of a couple of tracks may have made this less obvious. 

4/5
      • Reputation Points

• 4 replies