Intro Riffs.

Nephilim

• 3 months later...
11 hours ago, DHR86 said:

Deathcrush has a great intro. Not the techno house album intro lol the song Deathcrush. 

But the techno/electronic intro was pure genius!  It gave a totally unexpected atmosphere to the ep, making it extremely unique.  To me, it was one of the highlights of Deathcrush.

Another intro that I really like is the acoustic guitar track at the beginning of Drudkh's Autumn Aurora.  Mixed with recordings of nature, the repeated, folky/ambient riff captures the essence of the end of summer, and perfectly introduces the season of Autumn (which the album paints a picture of).  And the return to the same riff in the final track of the album provides a nice frame for the album as a whole.

8 hours ago, Balor said:

But the techno/electronic intro was pure genius!  It gave a totally unexpected atmosphere to the ep, making it extremely unique.  To me, it was one of the highlights of Deathcrush.

Another intro that I really like is the acoustic guitar track at the beginning of Drudkh's Autumn Aurora.  Mixed with recordings of nature, the repeated, folky/ambient riff captures the essence of the end of summer, and perfectly introduces the season of Autumn (which the album paints a picture of).  And the return to the same riff in the final track of the album provides a nice frame for the album as a whole.

The techo no track had me thinking " what is this and why ?" I found it too be off setting. I never judge or expect to hear everything an album or song has to offer in the first listen. After multi plays, it felt off to me. The track by itself is great but it didn't work for me.

Mayhem a few years ago started shows with an interesting opening track of whispers and chains and little bits of metal clanking together, I liked that a lot. This will be very odd but I like how Nachtmystium opens an album. Coming from a strong doom and sludge background, the really odd ass techno tunes do it for me. 

I do like the use of natural things in tracks, I gust of wind, maybe a breeze that is softly going by. It is indeed a very nice element added. When tastefully used, even better. Just thought of one, Nargaroth Seven Tears are Flowing to The River- that track has a very smooth intro. Heavy but in the sense of making you feel something, that kind of heavy. 

15 hours ago, DHR86 said:

The techo no track had me thinking " what is this and why ?" I found it too be off setting. I never judge or expect to hear everything an album or song has to offer in the first listen. After multi plays, it felt off to me. The track by itself is great but it didn't work for me.

Mayhem a few years ago started shows with an interesting opening track of whispers and chains and little bits of metal clanking together, I liked that a lot. This will be very odd but I like how Nachtmystium opens an album. Coming from a strong doom and sludge background, the really odd ass techno tunes do it for me. 

I do like the use of natural things in tracks, I gust of wind, maybe a breeze that is softly going by. It is indeed a very nice element added. When tastefully used, even better. Just thought of one, Nargaroth Seven Tears are Flowing to The River- that track has a very smooth intro. Heavy but in the sense of making you feel something, that kind of heavy. 

How do you feel about more dark ambient/dungeon synth intros?

Natural sounds can really help to set the tone for an album or track, but only if used in the right way.  Samples can easily make a track seem cheap

As I think about it, another good intro is on "Dunkelheit" by Burzum.  The tone in the first few seconds of the song evoke the trumpet on the album cover.

8 hours ago, Balor said:

How do you feel about more dark ambient/dungeon synth intros?

Natural sounds can really help to set the tone for an album or track, but only if used in the right way.  Samples can easily make a track seem cheap

As I think about it, another good intro is on "Dunkelheit" by Burzum.  The tone in the first few seconds of the song evoke the trumpet on the album cover.

Love the dark D&D synth stuff ! I have been enjoying this new wave of 80s synth as well. A group called Le Cassette has been on my mp3 Walkman for months. I have pinball arcade in town. I like throwing on the headphones, and do the 80s justice. 

I enjoy all of Varg's ambient music. He is working on a new lp for his RPG system. Pen and paper nerd or not, I will check it out.

Man the new 80s synthwave is really and interesting movement right now. I love 80s horror, The Thing is my fav and I love that soundtrack- so all of this just hits the spot. If you need something different tonight Try " It Come From The 80s Vol 2" or Alex Emotions, in the 80s palette but more chill. <---Good stuff for sure. Light and easy, nothing deep and doesn't demand your full attention. 

5 hours ago, Balor said:

Varg has a new album coming out?  Where did you hear that?

on Burzum.org

The working title for the next Burzum album is "Thulêan Mysteries" & it has - as the planned song list show - a Thulêan theme. The intention of the album is to be background music for your MYFAROG game session. It might well work for other situations too...
  1. The Sacred Well
  2. The Loss Of A Hero
  3. ForeBears
  4. A Thulêan Perspective
  5. Gathering Of Herbs
  6. Heill Auk Sæll
  7. Jötunnheimr
  8. Spell-Lake Forest
  9. The Ettin Stone Heart
  10. The Great Sleep
  11. The Land Of Thulê
  12. The Lord Of The Dwarves
  13. A Forgotten Realm
  14. Heill Óðinn, Sire
  15. The Ruins Of Dwarfmount
  16. The Road To Hel
  17. Thulêan Sorcery
  18. Descent Into Niflheimr
  19. Skin Traveller
  20. The Dream Land
  21. Thulêan Mysteries
  22. The Password
  23. The Loss Of Thulê

4 hours ago, DHR86 said:

on Burzum.org

The working title for the next Burzum album is "Thulêan Mysteries" & it has - as the planned song list show - a Thulêan theme. The intention of the album is to be background music for your MYFAROG game session. It might well work for other situations too...
  1. The Sacred Well
  2. The Loss Of A Hero
  3. ForeBears
  4. A Thulêan Perspective
  5. Gathering Of Herbs
  6. Heill Auk Sæll
  7. Jötunnheimr
  8. Spell-Lake Forest
  9. The Ettin Stone Heart
  10. The Great Sleep
  11. The Land Of Thulê
  12. The Lord Of The Dwarves
  13. A Forgotten Realm
  14. Heill Óðinn, Sire
  15. The Ruins Of Dwarfmount
  16. The Road To Hel
  17. Thulêan Sorcery
  18. Descent Into Niflheimr
  19. Skin Traveller
  20. The Dream Land
  21. Thulêan Mysteries
  22. The Password
  23. The Loss Of Thulê

Thanks, I was not aware of this.  I will look forward to its release!

Varg is making an album with the intention that it will be background music to a game? Do I have that right?

I guess background music will be a step up from his recent releases that don’t warrant a spin at all. 

Also, yes @Balor, Silvester Anfang is one of the all time great intros. ‘Deathcrush’ aside, I still remember hearing it begin the 2001 show I saw in Melbourne, and I was trembling in my 21 year old boots. 

Probably my favourite opening of all time.

8 hours ago, Requiem said:

Varg is making an album with the intention that it will be background music to a game? Do I have that right?

I guess background music will be a step up from his recent releases that don’t warrant a spin at all. 

Also, yes @Balor, Silvester Anfang is one of the all time great intros. ‘Deathcrush’ aside, I still remember hearing it begin the 2001 show I saw in Melbourne, and I was trembling in my 21 year old boots. 

Probably my favourite opening of all time.

I had no idea that Mayhem performed that track live.  I will have to see if there is a video of it online.

From what it sounds like, that is exactly what Varg intends to do.  Also, I thought that all of Varg's recent albums were meant to be background music.  I wouldn't say that they do not warrant any spins.  Some tracks on his most recent album were actually really good.

10 hours ago, Balor said:

I had no idea that Mayhem performed that track live.  I will have to see if there is a video of it online.

From what it sounds like, that is exactly what Varg intends to do.  Also, I thought that all of Varg's recent albums were meant to be background music.  I wouldn't say that they do not warrant any spins.  Some tracks on his most recent album were actually really good.

With Varg, I think you have to be in tune with what is going on with him. He is a very interesting human. 

Ulver has a great track intro off the 95 release titled Bergtatt @7:55 mark Here

All the early stuff coming out of and around Scandinavian, just blows my mind. I love the mixing of styles, and genres. The countless demo recordings that sound like some guys threw in some random metal lps in mixer and hoped for the best.

19 hours ago, Balor said:

They didn't play it, it was the intro tape. They used it for years and years. But when the lights are down and those first drum beats start in the venue it was infernal ecstasy. An amazing vibe, at least back in 2001. 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/17/2019 at 8:58 AM, Balor said:

Another intro that I really like is the acoustic guitar track at the beginning of Drudkh's Autumn Aurora

Drudkh is the shit, I need to get some of their vinyl. I've realized that I'm very biased toward Ukrainian bands and I blame a lot of it on being Ukrainian-American, but the other part of it is that the Ukrainian bands are just plain good. I don't think I've ever heard a Ukrainian Band that I didn't like. Hate Forest came close to being a band that I wasn't into, but I'd still pick up a Hate Forest album if I could find it in American Dollars for cheap.

2 hours ago, NokturnalBoredom said:

Drudkh is the shit, I need to get some of their vinyl. I've realized that I'm very biased toward Ukrainian bands and I blame a lot of it on being Ukrainian-American, but the other part of it is that the Ukrainian bands are just plain good. I don't think I've ever heard a Ukrainian Band that I didn't like. Hate Forest came close to being a band that I wasn't into, but I'd still pick up a Hate Forest album if I could find it in American Dollars for cheap.

Listen to any Blazebirth Hall stuff?

15 hours ago, Balor said:

Listen to any Blazebirth Hall stuff?

No, I'm actually not as well-versed in black metal as one might think. I only know like two handfuls of bands, but they're bands that I'm really into... a lot and own multiple records by. I don't get to buy a lot of black metal because I either have to A) Import it from Osmose or B. Order it from Hells Headbangers as the local record stores don't carry a whole lot of black metal. I'm actually getting ready to make an excursion down to the one record store that sorta carries black metal to pick up a remaster of Watain's Rabid Death's Curse and possibly Dimmu Borgir's "Spiritual Black Dimensions" (Because what the hell, I'm still 17 at heart, right?) but if he has Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk or Burzum's From the Depths of Darkness, I'll leave Dimmu Borgir where it's at.

I'm honestly not even sure what Blazebirth Hall is, but I'm assuming it's an Eastern European label like Oriana music (Which being Nokturnal Mortum's label, is one of my favorites). My bands are: Emperor, Rotting Christ, Immortal, Burzum, Goatmoon, Melechesh, Arallu, Graveland, Nokturnal Mortum and the bands that surround them like Munruthel, Dub Buk, Hate Forest (kinda... not really sure whether I like Hate Forest or not), Lucifugum, Astrofaes, Kroda. Khors, Batushka so on and so forth. I'm Ukrainian-American so I'm big into the Polish/Ukrainian scene and don't care that much for USBM although there are a few bands I like domestically: Averse Sefira, Abazagorath, Kult ov Azazel (homestate heroes), Black Witchery (another Florida band), Panopticon (doing the same thing Nokturnal Mortum did but with Appalachian folk music).

I listen to a lot of different genres of music: Hardcore (Youth of Today, Shelter, Earth Crisis, Strife) Punk (Rancid, Black Flag, (old) AFI), Jazz (John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck), Hip Hop (Common, Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five, Fugees) and even some Country (Neko Case, Neil Young, Johnny Cash, John Prine). I have like 200 different LPs and about 50 7"s and it skews heavily toward hardcore and crust because getting my hands on black metal is somewhat difficult as I have to import almost everything that I want or order it from a distro (I have a green and brown swirl copy of Nokturnal Mortum's Goat Horns in the mail now) and most of my disposable income is spent buying records because I eventually want to open up a record store as a free time hobby business when we move to upstate New York in another year or so. Then there's your standard/crossover metal that I like from Hells Headbangers the label like Acid Witch, NUKE, Nekrofilth, Vaultwraith, Nunslaughter, etc.

There is a lot of black metal that I could be buying on Hells Headbangers, I just don't know if any of it is worth buying. I'm looking at a clear vinyl album by a Belarussian band called "Veitah" now because they supposedly sound like a cross between Burzum and Drudkh, but I'm not sure if I want to drop the $20 on it yet.

So that clear vinyl copy of Rabid Death's Curse that I wanted got scooped up by the same guy who bought every Burzum album in the store the other week apparently, so I got Marduk's Dark Endless instead. Kind of knew I should have just bought it when I bought Casus Luciferi last week.

I checked out the other record store in town and they didn't have a single damn thing that I wanted. All of their new, sealed product is stuff like AC/DC, Van Halen, and Florence + The Machine, Bon Iver... stuff I'm not into by a longshot.

So I guess I'm going to get on Hells Headbangers and look for stuff to scoop up while he still has it.

9 hours ago, Sheol said:

For what it's worth, Nuclear War Now has a pretty giant online store, and many of the record labels usually have a US store. Or you could do what us Europeans do and bite the bullet and pay extortionate shipping and VAT fees 😂

Never even heard of Nuclear War Now, believe it or not. My primary places for metal vinyl is Hells Headbangers (got into them based off of two releases: Nekrofilth's "Love Me Like a Reptile" EP and Acid Witch's "Evil Sound Screamers" and then when I saw that he was an inexpensive place to get Nokturnal Mortum in the states, I began to adore him). Other shop I use on occasion is Osmose, but that's generally to get Graveland, Nokturnal Mortum, Astrofaes, etc and Marduk stuff on color vinyl.

I'm going to check out Nuclear War Now today because I'm hoping that they have a copy of my current (un)holy grail, Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk. I am so pissed off that I canceled the order through Amazon because now I cannot find it at all. Like the whole run of the Abbey Road half-speed master pressings has apparently been bought up already which wasn't even my first choice for pressings of the album: I wanted the green vinyl edition that was a reproduction of the original vinyl pressing from 1997 to compliment my blue reproduction of In the Nightside Eclipse. The other Emperors I have are the Abbey Road half-speed master of Prometheus: The Discipline of Fire & Demise and a red vinyl edition of Wrath of the Tyrant (which let's be completely honest, it's a bit too kvlt for me but I had to get it because it was Emperor on color vinyl). The record store I usually go to in town is selling the Emperor EP (the one with death on the horse) for $39. Dude was trying to get me to buy it yesterday and I told him that I'm not wealthy enough to be able to pay $39 for four songs, three of which I already have.

I'm also trying to find some Lucifugum and the first Batushka album because I like pretty much everything that comes out of Ukraine and Poland, even the Christian/White metal band Holy Blood (which is a Nokturnal Mortum clone with Byzantine Icon cover art but are damn good for being a Christian knock off).

I actually import more than I probably should. But I have almost no bills, so it works out.

Check out themetaldetektor.com - they're a search service that gives you a list of all the prices and different versions of whatever album you're looking for, with links. I've wound up ordering lots of albums from random small shops around the country that happen to have what I'm looking for, or have better prices for particular things.

On 10/18/2021 at 7:40 AM, NokturnalBoredom said:

No, I'm actually not as well-versed in black metal as one might think. I only know like two handfuls of bands, but they're bands that I'm really into... a lot and own multiple records by. I don't get to buy a lot of black metal because I either have to A) Import it from Osmose or B. Order it from Hells Headbangers as the local record stores don't carry a whole lot of black metal. I'm actually getting ready to make an excursion down to the one record store that sorta carries black metal to pick up a remaster of Watain's Rabid Death's Curse and possibly Dimmu Borgir's "Spiritual Black Dimensions" (Because what the hell, I'm still 17 at heart, right?) but if he has Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk or Burzum's From the Depths of Darkness, I'll leave Dimmu Borgir where it's at.

I'm honestly not even sure what Blazebirth Hall is, but I'm assuming it's an Eastern European label like Oriana music (Which being Nokturnal Mortum's label, is one of my favorites). My bands are: Emperor, Rotting Christ, Immortal, Burzum, Goatmoon, Melechesh, Arallu, Graveland, Nokturnal Mortum and the bands that surround them like Munruthel, Dub Buk, Hate Forest (kinda... not really sure whether I like Hate Forest or not), Lucifugum, Astrofaes, Kroda. Khors, Batushka so on and so forth. I'm Ukrainian-American so I'm big into the Polish/Ukrainian scene and don't care that much for USBM although there are a few bands I like domestically: Averse Sefira, Abazagorath, Kult ov Azazel (homestate heroes), Black Witchery (another Florida band), Panopticon (doing the same thing Nokturnal Mortum did but with Appalachian folk music).

I listen to a lot of different genres of music: Hardcore (Youth of Today, Shelter, Earth Crisis, Strife) Punk (Rancid, Black Flag, (old) AFI), Jazz (John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck), Hip Hop (Common, Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five, Fugees) and even some Country (Neko Case, Neil Young, Johnny Cash, John Prine). I have like 200 different LPs and about 50 7"s and it skews heavily toward hardcore and crust because getting my hands on black metal is somewhat difficult as I have to import almost everything that I want or order it from a distro (I have a green and brown swirl copy of Nokturnal Mortum's Goat Horns in the mail now) and most of my disposable income is spent buying records because I eventually want to open up a record store as a free time hobby business when we move to upstate New York in another year or so. Then there's your standard/crossover metal that I like from Hells Headbangers the label like Acid Witch, NUKE, Nekrofilth, Vaultwraith, Nunslaughter, etc.

There is a lot of black metal that I could be buying on Hells Headbangers, I just don't know if any of it is worth buying. I'm looking at a clear vinyl album by a Belarussian band called "Veitah" now because they supposedly sound like a cross between Burzum and Drudkh, but I'm not sure if I want to drop the $20 on it yet.

Blazebirth Hall was a collection of Russian bm bands that was around for a while in the 90's.  I can't say that I am an expert on them, but they originated the sound that bands like Drudkh/Hate Forest picked up on.  I usually only hear good things about them.

https://www.metal-archives.com/labels/BlazeBirth_Hall/3260

10 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Check out themetaldetektor.com - they're a search service that gives you a list of all the prices and different versions of whatever album you're looking for, with links. I've wound up ordering lots of albums from random small shops around the country that happen to have what I'm looking for, or have better prices for particular things.

I second this.  It works really well for US buyers.

Also, NWN is a solid distro.  I ordered from him before, and would recommend him for anyone into war black/death metal.

On 10/19/2021 at 7:26 PM, Balor said:

Blazebirth Hall was a collection of Russian bm bands that was around for a while in the 90's.  I can't say that I am an expert on them, but they originated the sound that bands like Drudkh/Hate Forest picked up on.  I usually only hear good things about them.

https://www.metal-archives.com/labels/BlazeBirth_Hall/3260

I second this.  It works really well for US buyers.

Also, NWN is a solid distro.  I ordered from him before, and would recommend him for anyone into war black/death metal.

I actually checked out TheMetalDetektor and was able to find the edition of Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk that I've been hunting after for ages (dark green vinyl). Granted it cost me $52 but I just got paid today, so no harm no foul. Probably going to be the last album I buy for a little while as I am running out of ideas for albums to get and need to start checking out new bands.