Jump to content
Samiel666

Hello fellow metalheads!!

Recommended Posts

23 hours ago, the_thrashing said:

Hi! I'm new to the forum too.

What do you think about Slayer?

If you were talking to me, I only listened to the first 3 albums, the first one I own physically on vinyl because I liked it so much. The third one, Reign in Blood, I found very boring. the only good song was Raining Blood on it for me.

20 hours ago, Balor said:

Metallica

It's a band I skipped, probably because my dad blasted Nothing else matters, Master of Puppets and all of the other popular songs all of my childhood. I only listened to Master of Puppets (which I enjoyed and it's one of the few Thrash albums I enjoy) after finding out that it was a big influence for the Slaughter of the Souls album by At The Gates, which I really love.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Necturion said:

If you were talking to me, I only listened to the first 3 albums, the first one I own physically on vinyl because I liked it so much. The third one, Reign in Blood, I found very boring. the only good song was Raining Blood on it for me.

It's a band I skipped, probably because my dad blasted Nothing else matters, Master of Puppets and all of the other popular songs all of my childhood. I only listened to Master of Puppets (which I enjoyed and it's one of the few Thrash albums I enjoy) after finding out that it was a big influence for the Slaughter of the Souls album by At The Gates, which I really love.

I like most of Slayer's catalogue especially Reign in Blood but hey everyone's got their own taste. Show No Mercy is really good too though, I really like Tom's higher pitched vocals on there. I was asking Samiel666 that because he said metal is new to him, I think Slayer is a good place to start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Necturion said:

If you were talking to me, I only listened to the first 3 albums, the first one I own physically on vinyl because I liked it so much. The third one, Reign in Blood, I found very boring. the only good song was Raining Blood on it for me.

It's a band I skipped, probably because my dad blasted Nothing else matters, Master of Puppets and all of the other popular songs all of my childhood. I only listened to Master of Puppets (which I enjoyed and it's one of the few Thrash albums I enjoy) after finding out that it was a big influence for the Slaughter of the Souls album by At The Gates, which I really love.

Metallica has become a bit too tame as of late for my taste, but I still have fond memories of their music.  I don't listen to them too much, though I would consider them integral in the development of my personal taste in music.

37 minutes ago, the_thrashing said:

I like most of Slayer's catalogue especially Reign in Blood but hey everyone's got their own taste. Show No Mercy is really good too though, I really like Tom's higher pitched vocals on there. I was asking Samiel666 that because he said metal is new to him, I think Slayer is a good place to start.

I always really like Show No Mercy, which is strange for me, as I never usually care for the 80s thrash sound.  Its definitely one of their top albums, in my mind - I would almost rate it higher than Reign in Blood if it were not for "Angel of Death."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Balor said:

Metallica has become a bit too tame as of late for my taste, but I still have fond memories of their music.  I don't listen to them too much, though I would consider them integral in the development of my personal taste in music.

I always really like Show No Mercy, which is strange for me, as I never usually care for the 80s thrash sound.  Its definitely one of their top albums, in my mind - I would almost rate it higher than Reign in Blood if it were not for "Angel of Death."

I still listen to 80s Metallica quite often. My first tape was Ride the Lightning and it definitely shaped my tastes from then on. Of course I started getting into more extreme stuff later on.

All of the first albums by the big 4 are their rawest. Each one of them the difference between the first and 2nd album is night and day. All of their first albums except Megadeth came out in 83 when thrash hadn't been completely formed or defined as a genre yet. And even Killing is My Business which came out a few years later to me has a lot of speed metal in it, I don't consider it pure thrash like what they came out with next.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, the_thrashing said:

I still listen to 80s Metallica quite often. My first tape was Ride the Lightning and it definitely shaped my tastes from then on. Of course I started getting into more extreme stuff later on.

All of the first albums by the big 4 are their rawest. Each one of them the difference between the first and 2nd album is night and day. All of their first albums except Megadeth came out in 83 when thrash hadn't been completely formed or defined as a genre yet. And even Killing is My Business which came out a few years later to me has a lot of speed metal in it, I don't consider it pure thrash like what they came out with next.

That's what is strange for me, though.  I really liked early Slayer, but could never get into any other raw thrash bands (especially not early Metallica).  I think that Slayer just had better riffs in their early work than some of their fellow thash musicians.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Balor said:

That's what is strange for me, though.  I really liked early Slayer, but could never get into any other raw thrash bands (especially not early Metallica).  I think that Slayer just had better riffs in their early work than some of their fellow thash musicians.

There is an Italian Slayer clone called Insane, they sound exactly like the first album. I think you'll like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGYbcjdazoE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Join Metal Forum

    joinus-home.jpg

  • Our picks

    • Whichever tier of thrash metal you consigned Sacred Reich back in the 80's/90's they still had their moments.  "Ignorance" & "Surf Nicaragura" did a great job of establishing the band, whereas "The American Way" just got a little to comfortable and accessible (the title track grates nowadays) for my ears.  A couple more records better left forgotten about and then nothing for twenty three years.  2019 alone has now seen three releases from Phil Rind and co.  A live EP, a split EP with Iron Reagan and now a full length.

      Notable addition to the ranks for the current throng of releases is former Machine Head sticksman, Dave McClean.  Love or hate Machine Head, McClean is a more than capable drummer and his presence here is felt from the off with the opening and title track kicking things off with some real gusto.  'Divide & Conquer' and 'Salvation' muddle along nicely, never quite reaching any quality that would make my balls tingle but comfortable enough.  The looming build to 'Manifest Reality' delivers a real punch when the song starts proper.  Frenzied riffs and drums with shots of lead work to hold the interest.


      There's a problem already though (I know, I am such a fucking mood hoover).  I don't like Phil's vocals.  I never had if I am being honest.  The aggression to them seems a little forced even when they are at their best on tracks like 'Manifest Reality'.  When he tries to sing it just feels weak though ('Salvation') and tracks lose real punch.  Give him a riffy number such as 'Killing Machine' and he is fine with the Reich engine (probably a poor choice of phrase) up in sixth gear.  For every thrashy riff there's a fair share of rock edged, local bar act rhythm aplenty too.

      Let's not poo-poo proceedings though, because overall I actually enjoy "Awakening".  It is stacked full of catchy riffs that are sticky on the old ears.  Whilst not as raw as perhaps the - brilliant - artwork suggests with its black and white, tattoo flash sheet style design it is enjoyable enough.  Yes, 'Death Valley' & 'Something to Believe' have no place here, saved only by Arnett and Radziwill's lead work but 'Revolution' is a fucking 80's thrash heyday throwback to the extent that if you turn the TV on during it you might catch a new episode of Cheers!

      3/5
      • Reputation Points

      • 0 replies
    • I
      • Reputation Points

      • 1 reply
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/52-vltimas-something-wicked-marches-in/
      • Reputation Points

      • 3 replies
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/50-queensryche-the-verdict/
      • Reputation Points

      • 0 replies

    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/48-candlemass-the-door-to-doom/
      • Reputation Points

      • 1 reply
×