Saxon

I love NWOBHM but I never got into Saxon. I was listening to Wheels of Steel on youtube while waiting for something stupid at work and I instantly fell in love with this band.

They remind me of the Rods and Bon Scott somehow. Saxon is like the 70's band that out heavied and out grooved everyone (except Sabbath of course) but came out in the 80s. Their music has that late 70s biker feel to it.This album just hits the spot when I'm relaxing with friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR61QlZKcM0&list=PLQW91GaylGw9iqMsqWSZx39w3JYLuhX4y&index=7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjAFa77yHwM&list=PLQW91GaylGw9iqMsqWSZx39w3JYLuhX4y&index=9

I'm new to this band. What is the best Saxon album?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

They produced some great songs in the early 80s, be a toss up between Wheels of Steel & Strong Arm of the Law as to what is my favourite album by them.

Some of their mid to late 80s stuff, when they were trying to crack the US with a more commercial sound, is a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine, some cracking tunes, though a bit of dross as well, Party ‘Till You Puke, I’m thinking of you.

Their current material I just don’t find as memorable or catchy as what the produced in their hey day, probably a bit too heavy for me.

• 1 month later...

This is one of NWOBHM leaders on a par with Iron Maiden. I adore "747 - Strangers In The Night". All 80s albums are gold fund of Heavy Metal. But they also succumbed to fashion in the end of 80s and released a AOR/Glam album called Destiny (1988). The same situation was with Judas Priest (Turbo), Iron Maiden (Somewhere In Time).

• 2 months later...

I used to listen to Saxon when I was younger, but I don't have time for them now.  There is so much other stuff to listen to.  I was not aware until today that there are any Saxon tribute bands out there.  I just checked, and there are at least four.  However, I do not know of a single young band which ever covers their songs or cites them as an influence.

Also, has any member of the band ever had a signature guitar (or other instrument)?

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Saxon is my personal favorite out of all the early 80's nwobhm era bands. I prefer them over Priest and Maiden and anyone else from that nwobhm movement you care to name except for Motorhead. I'll take Motorhead over any other late 70's early 80's band bar none.

That said, the only Saxon albums you really absolutely need are Strong Arm of the Law, Wheels of Steel, Denim & Leather and I guess Power and the Glory. Crusader is alright but not essential. Thats it, the whole Saxon story in a nutshell.

Hungry Years

• 6 months later...

Though this thread is a bit old....I think Saxon has more than only the 80ies. The Inner Sactum is something I really like. There is not a single Maiden album later than Brave new World to which I listen that often...Battering Ram and Into the Labyrinth, Call to Arms are also solid Metal albums worth its moneney -  and what about the 90ies? Unleashe the beast, Metalhead, to my mind rather good Metal, let's take "The thin red Line" a real Metal Ballad, not a Love song, there is so much power in the song...

Oh, i just realized I forgot one of Saxon's best album ever, to my mind, or to put it more neutral,  one of Saxon's album I like most: Lionheart (2004). This is one of my all time favorites in Metal. It has such brilliant songs as the title track, Justice, to live by the sword - and the real heavy ballads, searching for atlantis and flying on the edge. If you don't know them, check it out, the songs are worth it. Surely they sound different from their 80ies songs, but doesn't matter, Heavy Metal at its best, I think.

• 1 month later...

Saxon was one of my favourite bands when I got into metal, and their record Denim and Leather was actually my gateway into metal, it doesn't sound very hard now, it was back then though

In retrospect I'm not sure I would say they have any great albums, they do however have quite a few pretty good tracks, even up to the most recent releases

Sometimes I think if you are not from the time  in which a band started/became famous and came very much later, when the band already existed 20 or 30 years, you often have a total different view than the fans who have grown up with the band. I remember having read Lemmy one day saying something like "often I meet people who used to listen to us and they they: ' Overkill was great, Ace of Spades was excellent, but now with the family and lack of time and staff I do no more listen to Motörhead, many year ago I listend to your music' what are they talking about? Why can't they listen any more to Motörhead? We did so many good albums after 'Ace of spades'  Something like this he said. This may be true for great parts of the audience of many bands. As i wrote SAXON did really great albums after the 80ies. Which album of the 80ies is as good as Lionheart? Perphas Power and the Glory, though very much softer - do not get me wrong, I like the 80ies albums of Saxon - apart from Crusader and Rock the nations, Crusader is a good track, but there is not very much more, I like on these albums. I do not think that they did such bad albums after the 80ies...

I’m seeing Saxon live on Friday in Manchester, cannot wait!!

not heard a bad album from them so far, I’m currently listening to Call to Arms and it’s kickass!! Not a weak track on it as im concerned, i’ve listened to Strong Arm of the Law, Wheels Of Steel, Denim and Leather, Battering Ram, Thunderbolt and Sacrifice and I like all of them, I think I actually prefer some of their more Modern stuff, but the best introduction album to Saxon is definitely Wheels of Steel.

• 3 months later...

Surely these guys deserve a bit more attention here.  Some of their tracks ala Heavy Metal Thunder, Never Surrender, Motorcycle Man,  Denim and Leather, Power and the Glory  are genre defining whilst others all Princess of the Night and 747 (Strangers in the Night) and Sixth Form Girls are just excellent.

1 hour ago, Dead1 said:

Surely these guys deserve a bit more attention here.  Some of their tracks ala Heavy Metal Thunder, Never Surrender, Motorcycle Man,  Denim and Leather, Power and the Glory  are genre defining whilst others all Princess of the Night and 747 (Strangers in the Night) and Sixth Form Girls are just excellent.

I'm sure I've mentioned several times that Saxon sits atop the nwobhm food chain as far as I'm concerned, I enjoy them much more than Priest or Maiden and I always have. That doesn't seem to be a popular opinion most of the time depending on who I'm talking to, but I don't care. Hungry Years has always been one of my favorite Saxon tunes, no one ever seems to mention that one. Wouldn't say it's my absolute favorite overall, but they honestly have too many bangers to single out just one. Their 4 album run from 1980 to 1983 is unfuckwithable.

40 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I'm sure I've mentioned several times that Saxon sits atop the nwobhm food chain as far as I'm concerned.

I think it's close if you look at Maiden's  pure NWOBHM stuff even though I love Killers and Iron Maiden.  By 1982 Iron Maiden were going down a more epic path and leaving NWOBHM behind.*  I think overall Iron Maiden are far better as Saxon kind of lost the plot to some degree after 1983 and became very inconsistent.

*Yes I know NOWBHM wasn't a specific sound/style (arguably from Def Leppard to Maiden to Venom) but there was a stripped down punky attitude there - other than maybe Witchfinder General who were very much worshipping Black Sabbath.  

I mean listen to not just Saxon or Venom or early Iron Maiden, but Tygers of Pan-tang, Tank, Angel Witch, Samson, Sweet Savage etc.

But yeah Saxon 1980-83 is up there with Iron Maiden 1980-81 as top of NWOBHM

1 hour ago, Dead1 said:

I think it's close if you look at Maiden's  pure NWOBHM stuff even though I love Killers and Iron Maiden.  By 1982 Iron Maiden were going down a more epic path and leaving NWOBHM behind.*  I think overall Iron Maiden are far better as Saxon kind of lost the plot to some degree after 1983 and became very inconsistent.

*Yes I know NOWBHM wasn't a specific sound/style (arguably from Def Leppard to Maiden to Venom) but there was a stripped down punky attitude there - other than maybe Witchfinder General who were very much worshipping Black Sabbath.  

I mean listen to not just Saxon or Venom or early Iron Maiden, but Tygers of Pan-tang, Tank, Angel Witch, Samson, Sweet Savage etc.

But yeah Saxon 1980-83 is up there with Iron Maiden 1980-81 as top of NWOBHM

I'll give Saxon credit up through '84's Crusader before I lost interest, which is exactly the same time I lost interest in Maiden. As you know Powerslave came out in '84 as well, I only liked the first 2 tracks Aces & Two Minutes and I was done with them at that point, I've never bothered to seek out or listen to another Maiden album after that. So I'd say they both lost the plot and became wildly inconsistent together in '84 along with Priest (84's Defenders was my last Priest album too) and pretty much all the rest of nwobhm. All those early 80's bands only exist up to 1984 for me. They're all dead to me after that, I think of them just as if they all broke up Dec 31st 1984.

But that's just my opinion man, I can appreciate that you along with many others are die hard Maiden fans who have continued following them and enjoying their albums for the next 40 years after I bailed and I would not dream of wasting my time attemping to disuade any of you from that stance.

• 3 months later...