Randy Rhoads

Dharma66

• 3 months later...

Agreed!  I used to work for this Custom Architectural Woodwork Company down in West Palm Beach, FL.. they got a custom build house in Leesburg, FL back in 2009 and it turns out the property was right next door to the Tour Bus driver's home along a private airstrip where Randy perished... as beautiful as the country side is around that area it was an eerie place!  I read in an article that one of the last thing's Randy said to Ozzy was that he was going to kill himself with all the drinking and he better get straight!!! pretty ironic huh?  Could you imagine how much that must have weighed on Ozzy too?  Crazy how not much makes sense in this world... except "The Good Die Young" has yet to be unproven!

This is a cool post that I haven't noticed until now. 

Yes, Randy Rhoads was amazing, and I'm a huge fan of Ozzy's solo career, particularly the first two albums with Randy. The original version of the Blizzard of Ozz band, with my idol Bob Daisley and Lee Kerslake, was just the perfect combination. 

One of the strange things about Randy's death is that apparently he wasn't comfortable flying and so it was out of character that he would go up with the bus driver! 

Perhaps Randy's biggest legacy is that he set the tone for Ozzy's solo career to come, with that modern 80s riffage style becoming the standard template for an Ozzy Osbourne track. 

20 minutes ago, Requiem said:

This is a cool post that I haven't noticed until now. 

Yes, Randy Rhoads was amazing, and I'm a huge fan of Ozzy's solo career, particularly the first two albums with Randy. The original version of the Blizzard of Ozz band, with my idol Bob Daisley and Lee Kerslake, was just the perfect combination. 

One of the strange things about Randy's death is that apparently he wasn't comfortable flying and so it was out of character that he would go up with the bus driver! 

Perhaps Randy's biggest legacy is that he set the tone for Ozzy's solo career to come, with that modern 80s riffage style becoming the standard template for an Ozzy Osbourne track. 

yea man!!! I still read posts around YouTube that Ozzy writes (or someone posting FOR Ozzy...?) that mentions his love for Randy... I also read the same thing you mentioned in that Randy didn't really want to fly and it was a "stunt" gesture to rouse up Ozzy from his drunken sleep.  Too bad there wasn't more circulating material with Randy on it... I've heard some live bootlegs but the quality was pretty bad and I chose not to make my own copy... I should have because with how much computers have come maybe me, or someone else, could have cleaned those recordings up... I got to get back on Dime see if they have those on there.  If I ever find anything I'll be sure to come back and try to find you!!!  Hope you do the same bro...  until we cross paths again, be well and ROCK ON!!! ?

There’s some cool footage of Randy playing early Ozzy shows. Some of it is on the recent DVD ‘Memoirs of a Madman’. Good quality etc. 

Yeah, Ozzy was “asleep” when the plane wing clipped the bus. Drunken stupor is correct. 

Ozzy has been blessed with some brilliant guitar players over the years, not least Jake E Lee. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2019 at 3:20 AM, Requiem said:

There’s some cool footage of Randy playing early Ozzy shows. Some of it is on the recent DVD ‘Memoirs of a Madman’. Good quality etc. 

Yeah, Ozzy was “asleep” when the plane wing clipped the bus. Drunken stupor is correct. 

Ozzy has been blessed with some brilliant guitar players over the years, not least Jake E Lee. 

Hey brother... I've been meaning to come back to reply to your post now seems like forever... Having recently just moved all my DVD's/albums are still in storage so by you mentioning that DVD I've been really jonzing to breaking into my boxes to find my copy to watch again... usually YouTube has vids of most anything at one point or another..  but I couldn't find it... so I've been watching some of Randy's other stuff with Quiet Riot (Q.R.)... ever heard/seen him with that band prior to Ozzy?  While Q.R. isn't something I'd reach for as a first pick nowadays, back in the mid-late 70's they were a big name in "heavy" metal! LOL  oh the stages Metal has seen..  Anyway, I gotta say there's some decent live riffs and jams that Randy had on stage with Q.R. too... hell anywhere and with whomever he was playing with he was smokin'  One thing I did just learn and wanted to share with you too,  is that included with the 30th Anniversary Remastered Release of "Blizzard of Ozz" there has always been a rare unheard solo guitar riff Randy recorded in the studio during recording sessions for that Album.  Of course having always had that original album and never repurchasing the Anniv. Remaster Release I never knew that until recently when I actually wasted time sitting around for the "unveiling" of "See You On The Other Side".... the entire Ozzy solo career reissued on vinyl in a box set... it was so hyped up and I was at my computer waiting for the live unveiling... thinking maybe Ozzy would be coming on... but NOPE it was some narrator describing the albums in the "box set" and in a couple minutes was over..  Have you heard that outtake solo track yet?  It's not even a couple minutes long... but none the less shreds... After I heard it I couldn't put a finger on it as I thought it sounded familiar and it wasn't till recently I did come across a Randy jam while playing with Q.R. that also had some of his riffs in the live jam as the obscure and unknown studio outtake recording!  Guess maybe that's why I never replied right away to you here...who knows really just now makes more sense knowing something more concrete to come back and share another post with you.  Here's links to both... see what you think if you haven't already known about this.  Thanks for reading!  The 3rd link is to one of the best live concerts I've come across of Ozzy and Randy even though it's an audience recording from '81 it doesn't take long for the music to take you away and the little audience noise that's in there doesn't bother me at all.  Hope you enjoy some part of this if you haven't already known everything I've detailed here!  Was great sharing conversation/chat with you!  Rock on my man!! ???

This is the outtake solo included with the Remastered "Blizzard of Ozz" 30th Anniversary Edition. (here)

This is the jam I mentioned Randy shredding it while as a member in Quiet Riot (I think from '79?).  See if you can hear any similarities..it's pretty obvious when I listened... (here)

This link is just for pure pleasure!  I've listened to this more times that I know...gives me goosebumps just thinking about it! LOL (here)

Enjoy, be happy and healthy and share something special with someone close to you!
par9noid

20 hours ago, par9noid said:

Hey brother... I've been meaning to come back to reply to your post now seems like forever... Having recently just moved all my DVD's/albums are still in storage so by you mentioning that DVD I've been really jonzing to breaking into my boxes to find my copy to watch again... usually YouTube has vids of most anything at one point or another..  but I couldn't find it... so I've been watching some of Randy's other stuff with Quiet Riot (Q.R.)... ever heard/seen him with that band prior to Ozzy?  While Q.R. isn't something I'd reach for as a first pick nowadays, back in the mid-late 70's they were a big name in "heavy" metal! LOL  oh the stages Metal has seen..  Anyway, I gotta say there's some decent live riffs and jams that Randy had on stage with Q.R. too... hell anywhere and with whomever he was playing with he was smokin'  One thing I did just learn and wanted to share with you too,  is that included with the 30th Anniversary Remastered Release of "Blizzard of Ozz" there has always been a rare unheard solo guitar riff Randy recorded in the studio during recording sessions for that Album.  Of course having always had that original album and never repurchasing the Anniv. Remaster Release I never knew that until recently when I actually wasted time sitting around for the "unveiling" of "See You On The Other Side".... the entire Ozzy solo career reissued on vinyl in a box set... it was so hyped up and I was at my computer waiting for the live unveiling... thinking maybe Ozzy would be coming on... but NOPE it was some narrator describing the albums in the "box set" and in a couple minutes was over..  Have you heard that outtake solo track yet?  It's not even a couple minutes long... but none the less shreds... After I heard it I couldn't put a finger on it as I thought it sounded familiar and it wasn't till recently I did come across a Randy jam while playing with Q.R. that also had some of his riffs in the live jam as the obscure and unknown studio outtake recording!  Guess maybe that's why I never replied right away to you here...who knows really just now makes more sense knowing something more concrete to come back and share another post with you.  Here's links to both... see what you think if you haven't already known about this.  Thanks for reading!  The 3rd link is to one of the best live concerts I've come across of Ozzy and Randy even though it's an audience recording from '81 it doesn't take long for the music to take you away and the little audience noise that's in there doesn't bother me at all.  Hope you enjoy some part of this if you haven't already known everything I've detailed here!  Was great sharing conversation/chat with you!  Rock on my man!! ???

This is the outtake solo included with the Remastered "Blizzard of Ozz" 30th Anniversary Edition. (here)

This is the jam I mentioned Randy shredding it while as a member in Quiet Riot (I think from '79?).  See if you can hear any similarities..it's pretty obvious when I listened... (here)

This link is just for pure pleasure!  I've listened to this more times that I know...gives me goosebumps just thinking about it! LOL (here)

Enjoy, be happy and healthy and share something special with someone close to you!
par9noid

Hey, yeah I've got the Randy outtake you mention on a digital version of 'Blizzard of Ozz' which I've got from Apple Music. I don't have it on my CD version. 

I'm a huge fan of Bob Daisley, and he's got tapes and tapes full of outtakes and other bits and pieces that he recorded from every studio session Ozzy did, with lots of Randy Rhoads material. At the moment he can't release any of it because Sharon wants to give him a lump sum (a small one..) and control the lot, which of course Bob won't do. So for now it sits in boxes in his house. It's referred to as the 'Holy Grail'. We can only wait with hope that one day it will see the light of day. 

Sharon is very particular about what goes on Youtube, which is why there is never a full album of any of his studio releases allowed to stay online for long. It's a fairly old fashioned approach, but they're sticking to it. I have everything on CD and a lot of stuff on Apple Music on my phone, so I'm good. 

• 2 weeks later...

What an incredible musician!!  From the technical aspects of music---- I'm about as refined as a hand sledge wrapped in duct tape ,but I do know what sounds good and Randy's guitar work was incredible.  I'll often listen to Dee and the hair still stands up on my arms and I get goose bumps......some 35 years later ( for me) -----I've had the good fortune to share Randy Rhoads with my daighters and I imagine somewhere across the world right now somebody is telling a child, a friend,a Wife " wanna hear something really beautiful" ----- then they drop the needle / hit play on  Dee

No doubt he was a great guitar player, but he was also a brilliant songwriter, which doesn’t get mentioned as often. 

He and Bob Daisley wrote and arranged all of those amazing songs like ‘Crazy Train’, ‘Mr Crowley’, ‘Diary of a Madman’ and ‘Suicide Solution’. 

The two Ozzy albums that Randy played on have cracking tracks (obviously). Interesting though that Randy said that some of the songs on ‘Diary’ make him “cringe” because they didn’t have enough time to perfect them. 

‘Diary of a Madman’ (and I bet Ozzy never read Gogol either) was recorded really quickly on the heels of ‘Blizzard’ while they we’re still actually touring their first album. 

Still, not a bad effort considering the circumstances. 

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...