What does everybody think about women in Metal and do you think there is a sexism problem? (Doing this for my English course work in school)

Hi everyone, I'm doing an investigation in my English Language A Level, was wondering if anyone could help? The title for the course work is: : "An investigation into the representations of women in metal and rock music and whether this has changed overtime."

the main thing I'm looking into is some songs that could be quite 'offensive' to women and also how some bands lyrics may be sexist or misogynistic against women

any songs or lyrics from songs with the name of the song and band with them would be much appreciated. 

• 1 year later...

I don't like rock and country music with female vocals. But it's not due to sexism - far from it. I just don't like how both genres sound with a female vocal. Whereas in any metal genre I don't mind the women. In fact, there are some very good growling women in metal, like Ravdina, for instance, who happens to be my favorite (not just bc of her growling but bc she's smoking hot too) and that blonde girl from Arch Enemy whose name I always forget. :D

• 1 month later...

On 11/27/2020 at 10:15 PM, Valso said:

I don't like rock and country music with female vocals. But it's not due to sexism - far from it. I just don't like how both genres sound with a female vocal. Whereas in any metal genre I don't mind the women. In fact, there are some very good growling women in metal, like Ravdina, for instance, who happens to be my favorite (not just bc of her growling but bc she's smoking hot too) and that blonde girl from Arch Enemy whose name I always forget. :D

Alyssa white and arch enemy ring a bell in my head. Think that's right ☺️

Re women in metal don't think there's major issue as seems like most people have to prove them selves a bit when there starting out be that man or woman. Amalie brunn from myrkur said metal was much preferable to scene she worked in before doing her metal stuff. That was in her words alot darker. Think that was pop or indie music industry. 

Metal is very accepting of female vocalists. In my time gigging actually, i found female fronted bands got a following much easier than male fronted bands. Even if the female fronted band was terrible, stick a half decent metal chick front and center and watch thirsty boys come.

On 1/1/2021 at 9:58 PM, JoeyStray said:

Metal is very accepting of female vocalists. In my time gigging actually, i found female fronted bands got a following much easier than male fronted bands. Even if the female fronted band was terrible, stick a half decent metal chick front and center and watch thirsty boys come.

That is obviously great to hear that female fronted bands get  more respect from your experience, I guess myrkurs Amelie brunn concurs with this. I assumed it didn't matter if you were male or female from time to time you would have to defend yourself from idiots. Like the guitarist from a big band which I never expected he'd never get heat, who said he defended himself with his guitar on numerous occasions. I assumed females in metal might get slightly more hassle but this is just an opinion.  Maybe there's less females in metal because  more men prefer heavy metal more so that might account for it . Think either alabaster or macabre said this in previous one of these threads. Still it's interesting to think about it one more time. Not sure if it's helping your home work but I've been on the forum just a year and it's the third or fourth time this question has been asked. If you don't get many responses this might be why.