Lords of Chaos Movie (Mayhem Band)

jonnybagofdonuts

I'm very nervous about this whole thing although I won't be taking any of it seriously so I should be able to just enjoy it for what it is... hopefully... maybe. 

Why is this in the self-promotion forum? 

We've got 'Lords of Chaos' and 'The Dirt' coming out. I'm excited and nervous about both movies hahaha. 

4 hours ago, Balor said:

Honestly, my worry about the film is that it will sensationalize a story that has already been greatly sensationalized/mythologized by the black metal community.  It might make an otherwise serious situation into a joke.

A couple of murders, a suicide and church burnings are already pretty sensational and really are the whole point of the movie. It won’t be a considered evaluation of Mayhem’s releases, put it that way. 

My fear is that it’s going to portray it all as a children’s joke that went wrong. For instance, why is Euronymous portrayed as 17 in the film when in real life he was already 24 when he met Dead and 27 when he died? What sort of chicanery is this?

2 hours ago, True Belief said:

Americans playing Norwegians, no music from Mayhem, Burzum or even Darkthrone in the movie and a Jew playing Varg. Clearly it’s a comedy.

Looking forward to The Dirt.

It would have been awesome if the music of these bands could have been used. Just some scenes where they first play 'Freezing Moon', or Varg plays 'Dunkelheit' or something would be spine-chilling. It just would have grounded the drama with some real, amazing art. That's what the problem will be, I'm guessing: the characters will become caricatures and fools, but the fact is they produced some of the greatest music I've ever heard in my life that will possibly never be bettered. They're one in a million artists. 

It'd be like a movie about Serena Williams without showing any tennis. Or Tiger Woods without the golf and just the drama. It wouldn't make sense, and this probably won't too. 

Look, I'm reviewing the movie before I've even seen it.... @True Belief you'll have to track us down a copy. 

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Alright, I bought the DVD, watched it, and here's my take. 

Firstly, the actual quality of the filmmaking is really good. It looks fantastic, real, and isn't fake or corny in any way, which was one of my fears. As an actual movie, it's really well done. I'm so pleased that it turned out that way. 

But I have some serious misgivings. Here they are. 

Firstly, while Rory Culkin was a pretty good Euronymous, despite his googly eyes, I just hated the way that Euro was portrayed. He was weak, uncertain, doubtful and clutching at other people's achievements. There may be a truth to this, but I didn't feel that we had a sense of the massive impact that this guy had, through his letter writing, and more than anything his songwriting. Yes he was human like the rest of us, but his musical vision was squandered in this movie - it was as if he just happened to be floating through events. 

This is the guy who sat down with his guitar and wrote 'Freezing Moon', 'Deathcrush' and 'Life Eternal'. The man is a musical genius, and this didn't come across at all. I think it would have been nice if they spent just a couple of minutes worth of screen time showing this side of him. That something really magical was coming out of his guitar and his vision. 

Another thing that bothered me was the use of humour. Yes, black metal is funny as hell, but not in the way it was shown in the movie, with people tripping over things and generally being awkward. A movie like this definitely needs its comedic relief, otherwise it's just too heavy, but it didn't work. 

Snorre Ruch was a presented as a mentally disabled clown, and maybe he actually is (doubt it), but it came off pretty bad for the guy.. Varg was ok but just lacked any real sense of danger that the actual Varg has and he was too chubby by half. And the Kristian/Varg name joke just went on and on. Maybe Varg was overly insistent that people called him by that name, but surely they wouldn't have kept forgetting this. 

Metalion looked amazingly like the real Metalion, with that fat kid playing him. It looked just like the photos, quite incredible. Faust also looked like Faust. It would have been good to have a bit more dialogue with these guys though, as Faust just watched some horror movies and then stabby stabby. Why'd you do it Faust? Horror movies. 

Speaking of which, I found it really hard to watch Euronymous's murder scene. Whereas the Dead suicide scene was pretty traumatic, at least he had control over the situation, and yes it was hard to watch, but also very fascinating and engaging. When Varg started stabbing Euro I started to feel really sick, and it was appalling to watch. Seeing a guy get stabbed a heap of times isn't as much fun as I thought it would be. And when Euro is pleading for his life and saying "I'm all talk", it just sucked. He wasn't all talk - he might have said it to try to save his life - but the whole movie suggested he was all talk, so his life felt so deflating and pointless. 

And I'll finish with the lack of musical composition. Right now I'm listening to 'Filosofem', and it's amazing. All the music from that period was amazing. Faust playing on 'Nightside', Euro on 'De Mysteriis', the Darkthrone guys (where were they?). Where was Samoth who burnt a church with Varg? I wanted to see these guys. 

Great ending though with Euro saying "What have you done lately" or whatever he says. Just a brilliant moment. 

But damn, what a hard movie to watch. Not sure I'll watch it again. 

On 2/19/2019 at 1:05 PM, jonnybagofdonuts said:

Rory Culkin, the star of Lords of Chaos, goes on The SDR show to talk about the film.  

http://www.thesdrshow.com/alright

And what ever happened to @jonnybagofdonuts? He signs up to the forum, loads up a profile pic, and posts a single link about an interview in a single post, never to be heard of again. What fucked up mystery is behind this I wonder.

God bless you Jonny, wherever you are. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/27/2019 at 10:13 PM, True Belief said:

Ok nice to know. Originally Mayhem said No. must have had a change of (black)heart.

Do you reckon they got mayhem's approval to do this movie or they just did it anyway.  From what I read about in the press mayhem were pissed off that all this was being brought up again. What's learnt with this movie that we don't already know. Maybe I've got a closed mind but  The music is the winner and that's the important bit for me.the cutting edge music that still inspires bands today.  

13 minutes ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

What's learnt with this movie that we don't already know. Maybe I've got a closed mind but  The music is the winner and that's the important bit for me.the cutting edge music that still inspires bands today.  

The movie looked to be pretty close to simple exploitation of a story for the sake of being shocking.  I am pretty sure that Mayhem authorized it, but Burzum definitely did not!

21 hours ago, Balor said:

The movie looked to be pretty close to simple exploitation of a story for the sake of being shocking.  I am pretty sure that Mayhem authorized it, but Burzum definitely did not!

Thanks for questioning me my assumption was wrong and your right they got mayhem's approval to do film.  So at least they did that. They would have sued other wise I would guess. Your right it's an overly shocking portrayal for the purposes of I've no idea really  as it's not based on reality as far I'm aware but it's based on that highly questionable book lords of chaos with some Hollywood make the story neat like they always do. I'll stick to the music ?

On 4/20/2020 at 10:33 PM, Balor said:

You will probably learn more from that!

Though, to be fair, I have not seen the movie.

Will stick to music definitely as that's the positive part of the early black metal scene or whatever you call this period. Although the book and the movie are not accurate portrayals of the scene, I definitely think the church burnings and the murders were plain wrong imo

For me I listen to bands for good music and that's it. I don't really want all that bono political stuff. That's just how I see it. ? I want to rock out ???maybe with some ????