Sad songs like Doom metal but without growling

DasOhr

Hello,

I need your help, I'm in metal gerne a noob. I'm looking for dark, sad and depressive songs like Doom metal but hate the growling from the male singers so sadly 95% of doom metal songs I heard are with growling. With growling I mean this demonic voice alteration and not normal voice of the male singers.

I look for bands like "Avrigus", I love with female voice but male voices are ok too, if they don't growl. I have heard many metal songs with female singer but they aren't sad/depressive enough like Doom metal or are to fast or aggressive with I don't like. If there is a song with organ and female singing like an angel is big plus. About any suggestion I will be happy.

You might like 3rd And The Mortal. Their singer has an unearthly voice and the atmosphere on "Sorrow" is perfect for a winter morning.

For clean male vocals in this kind of doom, the first thing that I think of is My Dying Bride's classic "The Angel And The Dark River". Most of their stuff features harsh vocals but this album and the one after it are (almost) all clean singing.

Another band that comes to mind is Isole. Their album "Bliss Of Solitude" is my favorite. It has a little bit of growling here and there but the focus is always on the clean vocals, and this guy's voice is phenomenal:

I'm moving this to the doom section, there are some threads here that might have more of interest to you. Most of what I like the best has harsh vocals, but if I think of anything else, I'll share it. I'm sure Requiem and True Belief would have some thoughts here.

• 10 months later...
On 10/25/2018 at 9:28 PM, DasOhr said:

Hello,

I need your help, I'm in metal gerne a noob. I'm looking for dark, sad and depressive songs like Doom metal but hate the growling from the male singers so sadly 95% of doom metal songs I heard are with growling. With growling I mean this demonic voice alteration and not normal voice of the male singers.

I look for bands like "Avrigus", I love with female voice but male voices are ok too, if they don't growl. I have heard many metal songs with female singer but they aren't sad/depressive enough like Doom metal or are to fast or aggressive with I don't like. If there is a song with organ and female singing like an angel is big plus. About any suggestion I will be happy.

Check out While Heaven Wept. The Sorrow of the Angels I recommend alot. There may be some short growl parts here and there but i think its worth checking out for you. 

• 1 year later...

I have no idea if your even still looking at this post or not but I ran across it looking for some new cleanish vocal doom bands, I've come to accept that most of all them have a little growl here and there, but many many in my opinion anyway just ruin the entire feel when they start growling, I've been a metal head for 35 years and don't get me wrong I love some good gutteral demonic vocals, but not so much in my doom. Anyway in the off chance you might read this here's a few of my favorites if you haven't heard you should definitely check out...1st I can't believe no one has mentioned Pallbearer yet, Katatonia...Novembers Doom...My Dying Bride. Pallbearer is a must, the other 3 are fantastic as well but do have some growling here and there. My Dying Bride's newer releases not so much. Also DeathWhite, Ancient Wisdom although u might have to spell it Ancient VVisdom with 2 V's to find them sometimes, I love them though. Let's see, Bathory...Below...Blackwater Holylight (awesome chick group)...Cathedral (old school father's of Doom, I fell in love with their newer release 'The Last Spire' though)...Dawn of Solace...Dax Riggs...Fvneral Fvck...En Minor...Down...High Reeper....King Buffalo...Lunar Funeral... Lunatic Soul...Mad Season... Magna Carta Cartel...Mammoth Storm...Merlin... Servants to the Tide...Sorcerer...Spirit Adrift (amazing newer band)...The Blackwater Fever...The Dead Crows...Void King...Woods of Ypres (they have growling more than others, but their former singer RIP is amazing when he does cleans, he has plenty of full songs that are all cleans) 

Well that's all I can ramble off the top of my head, hopefully you'll find a couple of those to your liking and maybe even a few new favorites, I guess hopefully u even read it first of all lol....but if I had to pick say 5 of those to only listen to forever it would be (no particular order) 1. Spirit Adrift 2. Ancient VVisdom 3. Down 4. DeathWhite 5. Pallbearer

• 5 months later...

Leathian Dreams’ Season of Raven Dreams would be suitable also now that I come to think of it. It is funeral doom so more atmospheric and moody then most of what’s been recommended so far but the lead vocalist as a haunting voice, and truth be told it’s refreshing to hear something other than guttural growls coming from that side of the doom spectrum.

• 1 month later...
On 8/18/2021 at 10:41 PM, Malice-in-Wonderland said:

I have no idea if your even still looking at this post or not but I ran across it looking for some new cleanish vocal doom bands, I've come to accept that most of all them have a little growl here and there, but many many in my opinion anyway just ruin the entire feel when they start growling, I've been a metal head for 35 years and don't get me wrong I love some good gutteral demonic vocals, but not so much in my doom. Anyway in the off chance you might read this here's a few of my favorites if you haven't heard you should definitely check out...1st I can't believe no one has mentioned Pallbearer yet, Katatonia...Novembers Doom...My Dying Bride. Pallbearer is a must, the other 3 are fantastic as well but do have some growling here and there. My Dying Bride's newer releases not so much. Also DeathWhite, Ancient Wisdom although u might have to spell it Ancient VVisdom with 2 V's to find them sometimes, I love them though. Let's see, Bathory...Below...Blackwater Holylight (awesome chick group)...Cathedral (old school father's of Doom, I fell in love with their newer release 'The Last Spire' though)...Dawn of Solace...Dax Riggs...Fvneral Fvck...En Minor...Down...High Reeper....King Buffalo...Lunar Funeral... Lunatic Soul...Mad Season... Magna Carta Cartel...Mammoth Storm...Merlin... Servants to the Tide...Sorcerer...Spirit Adrift (amazing newer band)...The Blackwater Fever...The Dead Crows...Void King...Woods of Ypres (they have growling more than others, but their former singer RIP is amazing when he does cleans, he has plenty of full songs that are all cleans) 

Well that's all I can ramble off the top of my head, hopefully you'll find a couple of those to your liking and maybe even a few new favorites, I guess hopefully u even read it first of all lol....but if I had to pick say 5 of those to only listen to forever it would be (no particular order) 1. Spirit Adrift 2. Ancient VVisdom 3. Down 4. DeathWhite 5. Pallbearer

Fantastic. I've met someone who likes pallbearer. Well done miw. 👍out of interest have you been fan long. I think there excellent by the way. 

I'd forgotten about them. It's all clean singing from the albums I've got anyway. 

Good live too. 

• 2 months later...
On 10/25/2018 at 3:28 PM, DasOhr said:

Hello,

ik hella more sludgy bands with clean vocals but they are diffrent but have aklot of simaklarites if u wnat the  list jlmk ik acouple doom band like that too candlemass and probaly acid bath but acid bath also growls some songs

• 9 months later...
54 minutes ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Buy your own admission you’re not the biggest fan of funeral doom to begin with, so I’m not really surprised Ahab aren’t your glass of rum, we’ve all got sub-genres or bands we enjoy less then others, there’s not a lot of black/death I enjoy for example.

This is true. I gave up trying to get into FD years ago except Evoken I still dig. It's just too damn slow for me. It's infuriating. Like when you're speaking with someone who talks really slow and you get that feeling like you just want to reach in and pull the words out of their mouth. I have ADHD I don't have the patience required to appreciate FD. Or slow talkers. But the doom metal that I do like, I really like a lot.