[Intro]

Trap Metal is a fairly new genre popularized by famous artist "XXXTENTACION", mixing the two genres of Trap and Metal. Although it is sometimes mistaken for "Rap Metal" or "Screamo Rap", Trap Metal is a very different style genre. Unlike "Rap Metal" the vocals are derived from Metal and the instrumentals come from what some have come to call Trap. (a sub-genre of Rap which is more modern and includes more bass)  Trap Metal often sounds slightly distorted, with very harsh vocals, normally comparable to those of Screamo music, but it varies in style depending on the artist.

[ Here is a list of popular Trap Metal artists that I believe to be the best, and some info about the artists ] 

1. XXXTENTACION (RIP)        :       Very popular artist, known for his versatility, popularized the genre of Trap Metal, and opened the door for new upcoming artists.

2. SCARLXRD        :           British artist, formerly known for his presence on Youtube, turned to hardcore, mask-wearing musician with a unique style.

3. CITY MORGUE aka ZILLAKAMI & SOSMULA        :       Viral underground duo from New York known for their extremely hardcore music videos. (Although claiming to not be "Trap Metal", I will still include them on this list)

4. UNDEAD PAPI       :       Underground talent from Wisconsin, alike "XXXTENTACION", very versatile as well. Mainly known for his unique raspy growl-like vocals.

5. CAMERONAZI & $UBJECTZ      :       Duo from New York that is gaining popularity for their crazy "moshpit-like" style. 

6.  TANK HEAD 666     :        "Members Only" artist, "Tank Head 666" brings a whole new style of Trap Metal to the table. Known for his crazy performances and hardcore tracks.

7.  CRAIG XEN         :         Also belonging to the group "Members Only",  Craig Xen is a Florida artist who has worked with artists such as "XXXTENTACION", "TANK HEAD 666", and more

8. KAMIYADA         :         Known for his intense single "Damage Critical" where he goes completely NUTS.   

9. SYBYR        :          Peculiar musician from Maryland, mainly known for going missing for months and his absurd music.

10. PRXJEK        :         Ear throbbing artist from Florida, mainly known for making Trap Metal songs so intense and loud that they are now known as "Ear Rape".

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Another super underground artists are MIMI BARKS  

and MSHAA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsHwGIo0SdU

MSHAA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW92i4Le4Dg

the second one, if your check the whole album is even more industrial metal than trap,  maybe even influenced by Ministry, marilyn manson, skinny puppy or GGFH  :D

in such a strange way modern music is going now...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

The only hip-hop I'm really into is like Common, Mos Def, Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five, Fugees, Biggie, Wu-tang...

Trap is not my thing. Matter of fact most modern hip-hop and rap is not my thing. It's like directly opposite to what I like about music. Older stuff is good (Black on Both Sides is the best hip-hop album of all time) but it's generally something that I have to be in the mood for and oftentimes I'm not into it. I don't think that there has been a rap or hip-hop single I've liked in years, especially now that everything is a bunch of kids mumbling shit like  "BIH SEE MUH DIH, BIH SUH MUH DIH" and they all sound like they're nodding off on opiates or just really, really drunk. The clever wordplay or artists like Common & Mos Def is no longer there, neither is the turntablism, it's just very low talent individuals mumbling over looped beats made on a computer. Technology has taken everything that was original and cool about hip hop, out of it and left a commercialized product called "rap" in it's wake and it's honestly kind of a bummer.

So I don't think that "trap metal" would be something that I'd be into whatsoever.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join Metal Forum

joinus-home.jpg

• Our picks

• Whichever tier of thrash metal you consigned Sacred Reich back in the 80's/90's they still had their moments.  "Ignorance" & "Surf Nicaragura" did a great job of establishing the band, whereas "The American Way" just got a little to comfortable and accessible (the title track grates nowadays) for my ears.  A couple more records better left forgotten about and then nothing for twenty three years.  2019 alone has now seen three releases from Phil Rind and co.  A live EP, a split EP with Iron Reagan and now a full length.

Notable addition to the ranks for the current throng of releases is former Machine Head sticksman, Dave McClean.  Love or hate Machine Head, McClean is a more than capable drummer and his presence here is felt from the off with the opening and title track kicking things off with some real gusto.  'Divide & Conquer' and 'Salvation' muddle along nicely, never quite reaching any quality that would make my balls tingle but comfortable enough.  The looming build to 'Manifest Reality' delivers a real punch when the song starts proper.  Frenzied riffs and drums with shots of lead work to hold the interest.

There's a problem already though (I know, I am such a fucking mood hoover).  I don't like Phil's vocals.  I never had if I am being honest.  The aggression to them seems a little forced even when they are at their best on tracks like 'Manifest Reality'.  When he tries to sing it just feels weak though ('Salvation') and tracks lose real punch.  Give him a riffy number such as 'Killing Machine' and he is fine with the Reich engine (probably a poor choice of phrase) up in sixth gear.  For every thrashy riff there's a fair share of rock edged, local bar act rhythm aplenty too.

Let's not poo-poo proceedings though, because overall I actually enjoy "Awakening".  It is stacked full of catchy riffs that are sticky on the old ears.  Whilst not as raw as perhaps the - brilliant - artwork suggests with its black and white, tattoo flash sheet style design it is enjoyable enough.  Yes, 'Death Valley' & 'Something to Believe' have no place here, saved only by Arnett and Radziwill's lead work but 'Revolution' is a fucking 80's thrash heyday throwback to the extent that if you turn the TV on during it you might catch a new episode of Cheers!

3/5
      • Reputation Points

• 10 replies
    • I
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/52-vltimas-something-wicked-marches-in/
      • Reputation Points

• 3 replies

• https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/48-candlemass-the-door-to-doom/
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • Full length number 19 from overkill certainly makes a splash in the energy stakes, I mean there's some modern thrash bands that are a good two decades younger than Overkill who can only hope to achieve the levels of spunk that New Jersey's finest produce here.  That in itself is an achievement, for a band of Overkill's stature and reputation to be able to still sound relevant four decades into their career is no mean feat.  Even in the albums weaker moments it never gets redundant and the energy levels remain high.  There's a real sense of a band in a state of some renewed vigour, helped in no small part by the addition of Jason Bittner on drums.  The former Flotsam & Jetsam skinsman is nothing short of superb throughout "The Wings of War" and seems to have squeezed a little extra out of the rest of his peers.

The album kicks of with a great build to opening track "Last Man Standing" and for the first 4 tracks of the album the Overkill crew stomp, bash and groove their way to a solid level of consistency.  The lead work is of particular note and Blitz sounds as sneery and scathing as ever.  The album is well produced and mixed too with all parts of the thrash machine audible as the five piece hammer away at your skull with the usual blend of chugging riffs and infectious anthems.  

There are weak moments as mentioned but they are more a victim of how good the strong tracks are.  In it's own right "Distortion" is a solid enough - if not slightly varied a journey from the last offering - but it just doesn't stand up well against a "Bat Shit Crazy" or a "Head of a Pin".  As the album draws to a close you get the increasing impression that the last few tracks are rescued really by some great solos and stomping skin work which is a shame because trimming of a couple of tracks may have made this less obvious. 

4/5
      • Reputation Points

• 4 replies