Hey heavy lovin' dudes and dudettes!

Hey everyone, 

I'm new here (obviously) and im keen to meet likeminded metalheads (cos we all know how much diversity is in the genre). 

Like most of you, ive got some tunes id love to blast your ears with! My style is death metal with a dose of djent and without vocals. Id be keen to add a vocalist and other members at a future date. 

Anyway, hope youre all listening to some sick metal and I'm looking forward to having a chat and finding new bands!

Thanks FatherAlabaster. Heres a few death metal bands im into:

The classics: Death, cannibal corpse, obituary, morbid angel, Entombed (early), Carcass, At the gates, malevolent creation, suffocation, immolation.

The Polish Beasts: Decapitated (amazing band but sadly ive been less impressed with their post organ halucinosis releases), Behemoth, Lost Soul (also polish and far more technical).

Technical Death Metal: Necrophagist, Neuraxis (underrated band from Canada), aborted, beyond creation, augury, anomalous (not well known but check out their album equivalent - its awesome), The faceless (first two albums, not so much later stuff), obscura, psycroptic, blotted science (instrumental but will appeal to tech death fans).

Modern death metal: Meshuggah (absolute gods imo and a huge influence on me), revocation (thrashy influence, amazing riffs and solos), vildhjarta (djent but rooted in death metal) humanitys last breath (as above), gorguts (huge influence on me) articial brain (gorguts esque/ experimental), fallujah, thy art is murder (modern stuff is death metal imo), ulcerate (amazing band from new New Zealand), Death spell omega (not technically a DM band but thought id include).

Im a big fan of stuff that has dissonance with a sense of unconventional sense of harmony and melody and love those odd rhythms! 

I have got into the djent stuff but agree the scene is pretty formulaic now. John browne (monuments) writes awesome riffs, and Tosin Abasi (Animals as leaders) is a phenominal player and composer.

Those are a few of the big bands i can think of. Many more but need more time to list them all..

9 hours ago, FromTheThicketNZ said:

Thanks FatherAlabaster. Heres a few death metal bands im into:

The classics: Death, cannibal corpse, obituary, morbid angel, Entombed (early), Carcass, At the gates, malevolent creation, suffocation, immolation.

The Polish Beasts: Decapitated (amazing band but sadly ive been less impressed with their post organ halucinosis releases), Behemoth, Lost Soul (also polish and far more technical).

Technical Death Metal: Necrophagist, Neuraxis (underrated band from Canada), aborted, beyond creation, augury, anomalous (not well known but check out their album equivalent - its awesome), The faceless (first two albums, not so much later stuff), obscura, psycroptic, blotted science (instrumental but will appeal to tech death fans).

Modern death metal: Meshuggah (absolute gods imo and a huge influence on me), revocation (thrashy influence, amazing riffs and solos), vildhjarta (djent but rooted in death metal) humanitys last breath (as above), gorguts (huge influence on me) articial brain (gorguts esque/ experimental), fallujah, thy art is murder (modern stuff is death metal imo), ulcerate (amazing band from new New Zealand), Death spell omega (not technically a DM band but thought id include).

Im a big fan of stuff that has dissonance with a sense of unconventional sense of harmony and melody and love those odd rhythms! 

I have got into the djent stuff but agree the scene is pretty formulaic now. John browne (monuments) writes awesome riffs, and Tosin Abasi (Animals as leaders) is a phenominal player and composer.

Those are a few of the big bands i can think of. Many more but need more time to list them all..

Nice list. I'm a big fan of most of the older stuff you mention, although I never really got into Morbid Angel and I've lost my taste for Carcass. The first two ATG albums are great IMO, although I'd put them in a different category. Over the last couple of years I've gotten more into early Finnish DM - Convulse, Demigod, Adramelech, Depravity, etc. in addition to old favorites like early Amorphis; also enjoying some knuckle-dragging 90s brutal death like Pyrexia, Scattered Remnants, and Infernal Torment. Old school progressive death (Death, Atheist, Disaffected, Edge Of Sanity) is a huge favorite of mine, too (Contrarian's latest album has a good take on that sound if you haven't heard it). Coming at the progressive thing from a different angle, Opeth (up to Ghost Reveries) is one of my favorite bands of all time.

I'm pickier about tech death and modern DM in general. Early Decapitated is great. I dig Augury (at least Fragmentary Evidence), Necrophagist, Cryptopsy, Pavor, !T.O.O.H.!, old Origin, Cephalic Carnage, Lykathea Aflame, and (when I'm in the right mood) some newer melodic/technical stuff like Virvum and Burial In The Sky, but most new school tech leaves me cold. On the other hand I really enjoy a lot of dissonant death and black metal bands - old and new Gorguts, Ulcerate, Mitochondrion, DSO, Plebeian Grandstand, Skáphe, some Abyssal, Jute Gyte, Suffering Hour, Golgothan Remains, Zhrine, Setentia, etc. Artificial Brain is amazing, I've seen them several times - their vocalist joined up with a band called Afterbirth that you might enjoy as well, they were part of the BDM scene on Long Island in the early 90s but recently reformed with an interesting take on more modern dissonant sounds.

Meshuggah is great. Their older stuff (especially Destroy Erase Improve) is a long time favorite, and I liked Violent Sleep a lot too. I don't hear death metal in their sound - I think the similarities are more a case of convergent evolution and their influence on DM bands - but that's a different conversation. I gotta say that I have yet to hear a "djent" band that I enjoy, though, regardless of how well they can play their instruments. The closest I've come to that sound is the latest Ulsect album, which is a different animal but takes some sonic and songwriting/dynamics cues from Meshuggah.

Anyway, cool to have you here, hope you enjoy digging around the forum.

Thanks Knight and Excommunicated for the welcome!

7 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Nice list. I'm a big fan of most of the older stuff you mention, although I never really got into Morbid Angel and I've lost my taste for Carcass. The first two ATG albums are great IMO, although I'd put them in a different category. Over the last couple of years I've gotten more into early Finnish DM - Convulse, Demigod, Adramelech, Depravity, etc. in addition to old favorites like early Amorphis; also enjoying some knuckle-dragging 90s brutal death like Pyrexia, Scattered Remnants, and Infernal Torment. Old school progressive death (Death, Atheist, Disaffected, Edge Of Sanity) is a huge favorite of mine, too (Contrarian's latest album has a good take on that sound if you haven't heard it). Coming at the progressive thing from a different angle, Opeth (up to Ghost Reveries) is one of my favorite bands of all time.

I'm pickier about tech death and modern DM in general. Early Decapitated is great. I dig Augury (at least Fragmentary Evidence), Necrophagist, Cryptopsy, Pavor, !T.O.O.H.!, old Origin, Cephalic Carnage, Lykathea Aflame, and (when I'm in the right mood) some newer melodic/technical stuff like Virvum and Burial In The Sky, but most new school tech leaves me cold. On the other hand I really enjoy a lot of dissonant death and black metal bands - old and new Gorguts, Ulcerate, Mitochondrion, DSO, Plebeian Grandstand, Skáphe, some Abyssal, Jute Gyte, Suffering Hour, Golgothan Remains, Zhrine, Setentia, etc. Artificial Brain is amazing, I've seen them several times - their vocalist joined up with a band called Afterbirth that you might enjoy as well, they were part of the BDM scene on Long Island in the early 90s but recently reformed with an interesting take on more modern dissonant sounds.

Meshuggah is great. Their older stuff (especially Destroy Erase Improve) is a long time favorite, and I liked Violent Sleep a lot too. I don't hear death metal in their sound - I think the similarities are more a case of convergent evolution and their influence on DM bands - but that's a different conversation. I gotta say that I have yet to hear a "djent" band that I enjoy, though, regardless of how well they can play their instruments. The closest I've come to that sound is the latest Ulsect album, which is a different animal but takes some sonic and songwriting/dynamics cues from Meshuggah.

Anyway, cool to have you here, hope you enjoy digging around the forum.

Great List you have there! Speaking of Finnish DM, I really enjoyed Demilichs stuff! Not sure how I left Opeth off. Edge of Sanity and Atheist were certainly on my playlist a few years back. Regarding modern tech death, have you heard Soreption? Old school decapitated riffs on steroids IMO. Cephalic Carnage are sick. Origin are impressive (have seen them live) but I never found there stuff that interesting/my ears grow tired of it. 

I really dig Ulsect's sound! That band was a huge descovery for me. 

I am enjoying the forum! Ill post up some links to my music soon. 

13 minutes ago, FromTheThicketNZ said:

Thanks Knight and Excommunicated for the welcome!

Great List you have there! Speaking of Finnish DM, I really enjoyed Demilichs stuff! Not sure how I left Opeth off. Edge of Sanity and Atheist were certainly on my playlist a few years back. Regarding modern tech death, have you heard Soreption? Old school decapitated riffs on steroids IMO. Cephalic Carnage are sick. Origin are impressive (have seen them live) but I never found there stuff that interesting/my ears grow tired of it. 

I really dig Ulsect's sound! That band was a huge descovery for me. 

I am enjoying the forum! Ill post up some links to my music soon. 

I love love love Demilich. I actually got to see them with Artificial Brain a few months ago. They nailed their album vibe so well it wasn't even funny, it was everything I like about the recording but better. There's a bunch of great stuff from that era but nobody did what they were doing, and nobody's really done it since.

My favorite Origin is "Echoes Of Decimation". I'm not a huge fan of the band as a whole but that recording is really impressive. If you like Edge Of Sanity and early 90s Florida prog-death, make sure to check out Disaffected's album "Vast" - a 1995 highlight. You might also enjoy Hieronymus Bosch's album from the same year.

I have some friends who like Soreption, but it's not my cup of tea. It's been a long time since I listened to them and I honestly don't recall what turned me off, but I remember really not getting into it. I've learned never to say never, it might click one day. Aside from live shows, I've been taking a break from most extreme stuff for a while now, anyway - I have a newfound love for power metal (to my surprise) and I've been listening to a lot of Rush and Type O Negative lately. Death metal has been my home for close to 25 years now and I'm sure I'll get back to it soon...

21 hours ago, Will said:

Welcome. I like a lot of similar stuff, especially old school and techy death metal.

Is there much of a scene in New Zealand?

There is a scene here its just smaller. Where i am (wellington) is the third largest city in NZ and there is only one metal bar. Was a good turn out at the last cattle decapitation gig, but geberally small local shows are pretty small.

On 8/7/2018 at 10:09 AM, FatherAlabaster said:

I love love love Demilich. I actually got to see them with Artificial Brain a few months ago. They nailed their album vibe so well it wasn't even funny, it was everything I like about the recording but better. There's a bunch of great stuff from that era but nobody did what they were doing, and nobody's really done it since.

My favorite Origin is "Echoes Of Decimation". I'm not a huge fan of the band as a whole but that recording is really impressive. If you like Edge Of Sanity and early 90s Florida prog-death, make sure to check out Disaffected's album "Vast" - a 1995 highlight. You might also enjoy Hieronymus Bosch's album from the same year.

I have some friends who like Soreption, but it's not my cup of tea. It's been a long time since I listened to them and I honestly don't recall what turned me off, but I remember really not getting into it. I've learned never to say never, it might click one day. Aside from live shows, I've been taking a break from most extreme stuff for a while now, anyway - I have a newfound love for power metal (to my surprise) and I've been listening to a lot of Rush and Type O Negative lately. Death metal has been my home for close to 25 years now and I'm sure I'll get back to it soon...

Demilich and artificial brain! Awesome line up! 

I think ive also moved away from extreme stuff more in the last couple of years but something always brings me back. In terms of less heavy stuff i really like Jakub Zytecki and Plini (prog metal ). 

On 8/7/2018 at 11:41 AM, Will said:

Welcome. I like a lot of similar stuff, especially old school and techy death metal.

Is there much of a scene in New Zealand?

There is a scene here its just smaller. Where i am (wellington) is the third largest city in NZ and there is only one metal bar. Was a good turn out at the last cattle decapitation gig, but geberally small local shows are pretty small.

1 hour ago, FromTheThicketNZ said:

Demilich and artificial brain! Awesome line up! 

I think ive also moved away from extreme stuff more in the last couple of years but something always brings me back. In terms of less heavy stuff i really like Jakub Zytecki and Plini (prog metal ). 

Not familiar with either of those prog groups. The Demilich show was amazing. AB was having kind of an off night, but they were still good. Blood Incantation was also on the bill, and while I'm still having a hard time really getting along with their album, they put on an absolutely killer set.

23 hours ago, FromTheThicketNZ said:

Still good to know there's somewhere you can play when you manage to scrape together some band members.