Jump to content
Sign in to stalk this  
ParisNavy

Symphonic metal?

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, ParisNavy said:

MMMM..I didn't know exactly where to go with this question, but, here goes: How come there is no symphonic metal thread among the other the different metal subgenre threads??? Just curious is all...8-[ 

"Symphonic" could refer to bands who play a few different styles - gothic, power, death, or black metal mostly. If there's a specific band you're looking for, they'll likely be in one of those subforums, and if you can't find them, feel free to start a thread in the appropriate spot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ParisNavy said:

MMMM..I didn't know exactly where to go with this question, but, here goes: How come there is no symphonic metal thread among the other the different metal subgenre threads??? Just curious is all...8-[ 

I would class the broach church of 'symphonic metal' as one of my favourite aspects of metal, although like Sweet FA says, it would be too hard to nail down a specific genre. We'd be talking about Fleshgod Apocalypse next to Nightwish, and that just doesn't feel right! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FatherAlabaster said:

"Symphonic" could refer to bands who play a few different styles - gothic, power, death, or black metal mostly. If there's a specific band you're looking for, they'll likely be in one of those subforums, and if you can't find them, feel free to start a thread in the appropriate spot.

2 minutes ago, Requiem said:

I would class the broach church of 'symphonic metal' as one of my favourite aspects of metal, although like Sweet FA says, it would be too hard to nail down a specific genre. We'd be talking about Fleshgod Apocalypse next to Nightwish, and that just doesn't feel right! 

I tend to view "symphonic" as a sort of prefix that is applied on top of other metal genres (much like "melodic" or "technical").  It seems to indicate a style of playing/musicality rather than a genre.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Balor said:

I tend to view "symphonic" as a sort of prefix that is applied on top of other metal genres (much like "melodic" or "technical").  It seems to indicate a style of playing/musicality rather than a genre.

Yeah, that's a pretty good call. Then again, what would you call a band like Nightwish? Symphonic power metal? Symphonic gothic metal? You wouldn't turn up to a party and say, "Hey, are you guys into the symphonic power metal band Nightwish?". 

Fleshgod is definitely symphonic death metal, as is Septicflesh these days. Dimmu Borgir could safely be called symphonic black metal, although there's hardly any blackness in their metal these days. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Requiem said:

Yeah, that's a pretty good call. Then again, what would you call a band like Nightwish? Symphonic power metal? Symphonic gothic metal? You wouldn't turn up to a party and say, "Hey, are you guys into the symphonic power metal band Nightwish?". 

Fleshgod is definitely symphonic death metal, as is Septicflesh these days. Dimmu Borgir could safely be called symphonic black metal, although there's hardly any blackness in their metal these days. 

You could always just blend the genres as well.  Thus Nightwish could be labelled a "symphonic power/gothic metal" band.  That being said, Encyclopedia Metallum lists them as a symphonic power metal band.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Balor said:

You could always just blend the genres as well.  Thus Nightwish could be labelled a "symphonic power/gothic metal" band.  That being said, Encyclopedia Metallum lists them as a symphonic power metal band.

This is where genres aren't always a safe bet. When I listen to Nightwish I don't think of power metal at all, and I listen to them quite a lot. But there just seems to be no other place to put them other than symphonic power metal. Straight 'symphonic metal' might actually be better for them, but it's just too broad a description. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Requiem said:

This is where genres aren't always a safe bet. When I listen to Nightwish I don't think of power metal at all, and I listen to them quite a lot. But there just seems to be no other place to put them other than symphonic power metal. Straight 'symphonic metal' might actually be better for them, but it's just too broad a description. 

 

I am not familiar enough with their work to say for sure, but perhaps they just are so unique with their sound that any categorization is simply a "best fit."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2018 at 3:36 AM, ParisNavy said:

Cool, thanks for all the suggestions!! 

Was there anything you wanted to discuss regarding symphonic metal, or where you literally just wondering why there wasn't a thread for it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to stalk this  

  • Join Metal Forum

    joinus-home.jpg

  • Our picks

    • Whichever tier of thrash metal you consigned Sacred Reich back in the 80's/90's they still had their moments.  "Ignorance" & "Surf Nicaragura" did a great job of establishing the band, whereas "The American Way" just got a little to comfortable and accessible (the title track grates nowadays) for my ears.  A couple more records better left forgotten about and then nothing for twenty three years.  2019 alone has now seen three releases from Phil Rind and co.  A live EP, a split EP with Iron Reagan and now a full length.

      Notable addition to the ranks for the current throng of releases is former Machine Head sticksman, Dave McClean.  Love or hate Machine Head, McClean is a more than capable drummer and his presence here is felt from the off with the opening and title track kicking things off with some real gusto.  'Divide & Conquer' and 'Salvation' muddle along nicely, never quite reaching any quality that would make my balls tingle but comfortable enough.  The looming build to 'Manifest Reality' delivers a real punch when the song starts proper.  Frenzied riffs and drums with shots of lead work to hold the interest.


      There's a problem already though (I know, I am such a fucking mood hoover).  I don't like Phil's vocals.  I never had if I am being honest.  The aggression to them seems a little forced even when they are at their best on tracks like 'Manifest Reality'.  When he tries to sing it just feels weak though ('Salvation') and tracks lose real punch.  Give him a riffy number such as 'Killing Machine' and he is fine with the Reich engine (probably a poor choice of phrase) up in sixth gear.  For every thrashy riff there's a fair share of rock edged, local bar act rhythm aplenty too.

      Let's not poo-poo proceedings though, because overall I actually enjoy "Awakening".  It is stacked full of catchy riffs that are sticky on the old ears.  Whilst not as raw as perhaps the - brilliant - artwork suggests with its black and white, tattoo flash sheet style design it is enjoyable enough.  Yes, 'Death Valley' & 'Something to Believe' have no place here, saved only by Arnett and Radziwill's lead work but 'Revolution' is a fucking 80's thrash heyday throwback to the extent that if you turn the TV on during it you might catch a new episode of Cheers!

      3/5
      • Reputation Points

      • 3 replies
    • I
      • Reputation Points

      • 1 reply
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/52-vltimas-something-wicked-marches-in/
      • Reputation Points

      • 3 replies
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/50-queensryche-the-verdict/
      • Reputation Points

      • 0 replies

    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/48-candlemass-the-door-to-doom/
      • Reputation Points

      • 1 reply
×