Songs that have caught your fancy lately

VektorAlgebra

The purpose of creating this thread, as the title suggests, is to showcase songs that have really caught your attention lately. Whether you prefer to listen to albums as a whole, or a random selection of individual songs, there are times when you come across particular songs that you really like and end up listening to a couple of times in a day or over a few days.

There are many threads dedicated to albums and bands, but not many focusing on favourite songs. Let this be place where we can talk about such songs and also maybe link to them on youtube/bandcamp so those who are interested can take a quick listen.

To start with, my first pick would be Sentient Divide's Fabricated Chasm off their Bloodgate EP (released 30th May 2018). Wonderfully thick, crusty death metal which oozes old school charm and has some heavy as fuck lurching grooves. 

https://sentientdivide.bandcamp.com/track/fabricated-chasm-2

Neat idea but this will just end up another list thread, which is not what we need.

Please use the recommendations threads in the genre section to post discoveries, individual songs can be gateways into a band’s discography.

Locking this.

EDIT - After a staff meeting the thread is getting a go.  This is democracy in action right here.

Thank you for unlocking this, MacabreEternal. 

The intent here is not to just list out songs one likes, but more to highlight recently heard songs that someone really likes, on an ongoing basis. And also post links to the song so that others can have a quick listen to. I do get your point about the recommendations threads, but not all the genre forums seem to have such threads and I also felt that a genre agnostic thread for good songs was missing from the general forum.

Been listening to this Lecherous Nocturne song since yesterday. Like the rest of the album, on first listen, everything just flew by in a blur. But a few repeat listens and the riffs started asserting themselves. The production could probably have been a lot better, but damn, this reminds me of a bastard mix of old Morbid Angel and Cryptopsy riffs. 

I recently started listening to 2 Times Terror, because Turmion Kätilöt is one of my favourite bands, and one that really stands out from the rest for me, so when I heard about this side project I had to give it a listen.

But there's one song that really caught my attention and it's Ikävässä Paikassa. It has amazing lyrics (their lyrics are my favourite part of all of their songs) and several parts that just get stuck in my head on a loop. I also saw the video for the first time while looking for a link to the song and it's fast pace reminds me of the kind of rock videos made in Voionmaa because of the fast editing, but I was disappointed to find out this video had nothing to do with Markus Nieminen, who I usually associate with Finnish metal music videos. 

I don't know what exactly is it that tickles my fancy about this song. It sounds amazing, lyrics are great, it's just a top song from them, and one that stands out from 2 Times Terror. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have been meaning to share this track here for a while.  It is an acoustic cover of Burzum's "Die Liebe Nerpus."  It is amazing how the change from a synth to acoustic guitars produces such a starkly different atmosphere.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Aw, man. I'm terrible about getting random riffs in my head out of the blue and then constantly listening to the song for days. The worst offender for this lately has been Gorgoroth - Unchain My Heart.

That riff that begins at 1:05 has been looping in my head constantly for the last 24+ hours, I swear. I can't tell you how many times I've listened to this song today. It's the only way to cure the earworm. And yet that damn riff is still in my head lol.

Immortal is annoying as hell about this. I get random riffs from At the Heart of Winter in my head ALL THE TIME. But really, it happens with a lot of bands. And the worst part is when I can't for the life of me remember what song it's from. 

It happens quite often with the opening riff of "Mother North". I could be sitting in my office at work minding my own business and then - BAM - nuh NUH nuh nuh NUH nuh nuh NUH NUH NUH NUH NUH nuh NUH NUH NUH WAOW WAOW WAOU WAOOOW WAOW WAOOOOW!

• 2 months later...

Amazing song from 2018 - definitely one of my favourites and I know True Belief is obsessed with it. It's one of the best examples of post-black melodic death metal that I've heard. Great emotion, great melody, moving lyrics in the emo/post-black vein. 

• 4 weeks later...

Belladonna and aconite by Inkubus Sukkubus. I just cannot stop listening to it and I fear that I may end up wearing that tiny, but extremely important part of the CD down. This has happend before... I litterally wore WASP's piece of master work, Helldorado down until it hypothetically speaking crumbled and died in my hands. 

• 3 months later...