Greetings, from the ocean of Corn

thevoidalone

Hey everyone, I'm Kenny. I'm from Iowa, and I take care of my disabled parents full time. I don't technically get paid for doing so, and there's a long convoluted explanation that I'll skip here.

When it comes to my tastes in metal, some of my favorite bands include Opeth, Testament, Obsequiae, Fallujah (the namesake for my username), Naglfar, Cattle Decapitation, TesseracT, Arch Enemy (mostly gossow era), Soilwork, Hatebreed, and many many others.

Other genres I enjoy, which i'm going to spend more time expounding on than just my barebones love of metal since it's a foregone conclusion that I'm a metalhead on a metal forum. Hardcore, and more specifically Modern Life Is War, who are from my home town. They started up while I was in high school, and so their work has a heavy personal connection for me obviously. I was going to their shows and listening to their music quite a lot in that five year period of 2003-2008. Country, and though I am somewhat picky about which artists I listen to, I don't completely forsake the mainstream in the genre. Especially Jason Aldean, Miranda Lambert, and Keith Urban's first few albums, which Jason and Keith catch a lot of flack. I do understand why they catch said flack, but in Jason's case I am still finding things to enjoy on his newer work. As far as some artists I love that aren't necessarily mainstream, Karen Jonas, Angaleena Presley, and Wheeler Walker Jr. With Wheeler, it's mostly his first album, because it has such good session stuff going on around it that the comedic lyrics can be overlooked for me when they're bad.

Vocal Trance is a love of mine, not only because it features the more progressive instrumentation when it comes to the "trance" element, but because the vocal performances are really good, if not the vocalists themselves. I make that distinction because I know that it's one of the genres more prone to the autotune game. That being said, I love vocalists like Emma Hewitt, Nadia Ali, Christine Novelli, and Justine Suissa. Vocal Trance has pretty much replaced "pop" music for me, because I can't stand most of the stuff you're going to find on the top 40. Mostly because the indie worship of the last 7 years or so in pop bores me to tears and so does what most of hip hop has to offer. After growing up in the era of more intense gangsta rap, the r&b explosion, and the pop minded rap songs a la 50 cent "in the club" that reigned supreme during my high school career, I find some of what passes for rap these days must have biggie and tupac rolling in their graves.

Other than that I love most of the foundational rock and hard rock that metal are built upon. I do like some "butt rock" as it has been named, such as Nickelback. Though there are some singles I can't get behind, for the most part they make catchy stuff I enjoy. Creed, though i've come to realize how annoying Scott's voice can be, I do think there are some redeemable moments for him. The main draw for me with Creed nowadays though, is all of those great riffs that Mark Tremonti laid down in that band (whose solo material i've been enjoying a ton; though I do know and like some Alter Bridge, I just haven't been as engaged with that project as his solo stuff). 

Anyhow, i've rambled on enough at this point, but I thought i'd say hello to everyone. I look forward to joining in the festivitiies and discussions being had here!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join Metal Forum

joinus-home.jpg

• Our picks

• Whichever tier of thrash metal you consigned Sacred Reich back in the 80's/90's they still had their moments.  "Ignorance" & "Surf Nicaragura" did a great job of establishing the band, whereas "The American Way" just got a little to comfortable and accessible (the title track grates nowadays) for my ears.  A couple more records better left forgotten about and then nothing for twenty three years.  2019 alone has now seen three releases from Phil Rind and co.  A live EP, a split EP with Iron Reagan and now a full length.

Notable addition to the ranks for the current throng of releases is former Machine Head sticksman, Dave McClean.  Love or hate Machine Head, McClean is a more than capable drummer and his presence here is felt from the off with the opening and title track kicking things off with some real gusto.  'Divide & Conquer' and 'Salvation' muddle along nicely, never quite reaching any quality that would make my balls tingle but comfortable enough.  The looming build to 'Manifest Reality' delivers a real punch when the song starts proper.  Frenzied riffs and drums with shots of lead work to hold the interest.

There's a problem already though (I know, I am such a fucking mood hoover).  I don't like Phil's vocals.  I never had if I am being honest.  The aggression to them seems a little forced even when they are at their best on tracks like 'Manifest Reality'.  When he tries to sing it just feels weak though ('Salvation') and tracks lose real punch.  Give him a riffy number such as 'Killing Machine' and he is fine with the Reich engine (probably a poor choice of phrase) up in sixth gear.  For every thrashy riff there's a fair share of rock edged, local bar act rhythm aplenty too.

Let's not poo-poo proceedings though, because overall I actually enjoy "Awakening".  It is stacked full of catchy riffs that are sticky on the old ears.  Whilst not as raw as perhaps the - brilliant - artwork suggests with its black and white, tattoo flash sheet style design it is enjoyable enough.  Yes, 'Death Valley' & 'Something to Believe' have no place here, saved only by Arnett and Radziwill's lead work but 'Revolution' is a fucking 80's thrash heyday throwback to the extent that if you turn the TV on during it you might catch a new episode of Cheers!

3/5
      • Reputation Points

• 10 replies
    • I
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/52-vltimas-something-wicked-marches-in/
      • Reputation Points

• 3 replies

• https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/48-candlemass-the-door-to-doom/
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • Full length number 19 from overkill certainly makes a splash in the energy stakes, I mean there's some modern thrash bands that are a good two decades younger than Overkill who can only hope to achieve the levels of spunk that New Jersey's finest produce here.  That in itself is an achievement, for a band of Overkill's stature and reputation to be able to still sound relevant four decades into their career is no mean feat.  Even in the albums weaker moments it never gets redundant and the energy levels remain high.  There's a real sense of a band in a state of some renewed vigour, helped in no small part by the addition of Jason Bittner on drums.  The former Flotsam & Jetsam skinsman is nothing short of superb throughout "The Wings of War" and seems to have squeezed a little extra out of the rest of his peers.

The album kicks of with a great build to opening track "Last Man Standing" and for the first 4 tracks of the album the Overkill crew stomp, bash and groove their way to a solid level of consistency.  The lead work is of particular note and Blitz sounds as sneery and scathing as ever.  The album is well produced and mixed too with all parts of the thrash machine audible as the five piece hammer away at your skull with the usual blend of chugging riffs and infectious anthems.  

There are weak moments as mentioned but they are more a victim of how good the strong tracks are.  In it's own right "Distortion" is a solid enough - if not slightly varied a journey from the last offering - but it just doesn't stand up well against a "Bat Shit Crazy" or a "Head of a Pin".  As the album draws to a close you get the increasing impression that the last few tracks are rescued really by some great solos and stomping skin work which is a shame because trimming of a couple of tracks may have made this less obvious. 

4/5
      • Reputation Points

• 4 replies