Create a 'Best Of' Release Tracklist

Requiem

As a metal connoisseur you've been approached by record labels to come up with a Best Of release for some of your favourite bands. 

Songs must be selected from a reasonably wide range of a band's material and should run for no more than 80 minutes so that it fits onto a single disk. Which bands are you going to write a Best Of tracklist for? What will you include? 

Requiem's Katatonia Best Of

1. 'Brave' from Brave Murder Day (1996)

2. 'For My Demons' from Tonight's Decision (1999)

3. 'Passer' from The Fall of Hearts (2016)

4. 'Unfurl' from The Great Cold Distance sessions (2006)

5. 'Gateways of Bereavement' from Dance of December Souls (1994)

6. 'Old Hearts Fall' from The Fall of Hearts (2016)

7. 'Serein' from The Fall of Hearts (2016)

8. 'Departer' from Night is the New Day (2009)

9. 'Murder' from Brave Murder Day (1996)

10. 'Deadhouse' from Discouraged Ones (1998)

11. 'Evidence' from Viva Emptiness (2003)

12. 'Teargas' from Last Fair Deal Gone Down (2001)

13. 'Journey Through Pressure' from The Great Cold Distance (2006)

14. 'Endtime' from Brave Murder Day (1996)

This is actually really hard getting the song order right and leaving out so many personal favourites! 

Fun topic!

Balor's Best of Burzum's Ambient Material:

1. The Crying Orc (Burzum)
  2. The One Who Wandered (Det Som Engang Var)
  3. Emptiness (Hvis Lyset Tar Oss)
  4. Decrepitude I (Filosofem)
  5. Towards Ragnarok (Dauði Baldrs)
  6. The Love of Nerthus (Hliðskjálf)
  7. Decrepitude II (Filosofem)

While it does not represent the full breadth of his material, I think that it nevertheless encompasses some of the best of the early ambient works.  I listed them in order of their release.  Honestly, this would be one of my dream albums if it was ever compiled and released.

On 6/21/2018 at 2:28 AM, Balor said:

Fun topic!

Balor's Best of Burzum's Ambient Material:

1. The Crying Orc (Burzum)
  2. The One Who Wandered (Det Som Engang Var)
  3. Emptiness (Hvus Lyset Tar Oss)
  4. Decrepitude I (Filosofem)
  5. Towards Ragnarok (Dauði Baldrs)
  6. The Love of Nerthus (Hliðskjálf)
  7. Decrepitude II (Filosofem)

While it does not represent the full breadth of his material, I think that it nevertheless encompasses some of the best of the early ambient works.  I listed them in order of their release.  Honestly, this would be one of my dream albums if it was ever compiled and released.

That’s a great idea, Balor, and not one I would have thought of. You’ve inspired me. 

I’m going to post some more tonight.

Requiem's My Dying Bride Best of

1. 'Sear Me 1993' from Turn Loose the Swans (1993)

2. 'The Cry of Mankind' from The Angel and the Dark River (1995)

3. 'Like Gods of the Sun' from Like Gods of the Sun (1996)

4. 'The Wreckage of My Flesh' from Songs of Darkness, Words of Light (2004)

5. 'Base Level Erotica' from 34.788%...Complete (1998)

6. 'Sear Me III' from The Light at the End of the World (1999)

7. 'The Poorest Waltz' from A Map of All Our Failures (2012)

8. 'From Darkest Skies' from The Angel and the Dark River (1995)

9. 'For My Fallen Angel' from Like Gods of the Sun (1996)

There's a good balance here of classic romantic tracks, especially culled from my favourite era which is around 95/96. There's also some representation from later albums, including the brilliant and overlooked 'The Poorest Waltz'. 

I am going to start simple and go with Iron Maiden.  As far as I am concerned they might as well have split up after “Somewhere In Time”

”Running Free”

”Iron Maiden”

”Sanctuary”

”Wrathchild”

”The Number of the Beast”

”Still Life”

”The Trooper”

”2 Minutes To Midnight”

”Powerslave”

”Moonchild”

”Seventh Son of a Seventh Son”

”Stranger in a Strange Land”

”Wasted Years”

I don’t think I can listen to “Run To the Hills” again without going into some kind of seizure, one of the most overrated Metal songs ever written for my ears.  Similarly, “Can I Play With Madness” isn’t comfortable to these ears either anymore. 

Maybe a Judas Priest compilation next before moving onto something a little more death metal orientated.

Requiem's Iron Maiden Best of

1. 'Hallowed be thy Name' from The Number of the Beast (1982)

2. 'Aces High' from Powerslave (1984)

3. 'Infinite Dreams' from Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (1998)

4. 'The Number of the Beast' from The Number of the Beast (1984)

5. 'Fear of the Dark' from Fear of the Dark (1992)

6. 'Children of the Damned' from The Number of the Beast (1982)

7. 'Flight of Icarus' from Piece of Mind (1983)

8. 'Powerslave' from Powerslave (1984)

9. 'Hooks in You' from No Prayer for the Dying (1990)

10. 'Seventh Son of a Seventh Son' from Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (1988)

11. 'Run to the Hills' from The Number of the Beast (1982)

12. 'Empire of the Clouds' from The Book of Souls (2016)

That's right, 'Hooks in You' is one of the all time overlooked tracks. I don't think I'd get this collection past the record label suits, however, with 'Hooks in You' but no 'Trooper'. For me though, this is the perfect Maiden collection. 'Empire of the Clouds' to close the disk means it has to be limited to twelve tracks, but it's the perfect closer. 

18 hours ago, Requiem said:

Requiem's Iron Maiden Best of

1. 'Hallowed be thy Name' from The Number of the Beast (1982)

2. 'Aces High' from Powerslave (1984)

3. 'Infinite Dreams' from Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (1998)

4. 'The Number of the Beast' from The Number of the Beast (1984)

5. 'Fear of the Dark' from Fear of the Dark (1992)

6. 'Children of the Damned' from The Number of the Beast (1982)

7. 'Flight of Icarus' from Piece of Mind (1983)

8. 'Powerslave' from Powerslave (1984)

9. 'Hooks in You' from No Prayer for the Dying (1990)

10. 'Seventh Son of a Seventh Son' from Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (1988)

11. 'Run to the Hills' from The Number of the Beast (1982)

12. 'Empire of the Clouds' from The Book of Souls (2016)

That's right, 'Hooks in You' is one of the all time overlooked tracks. I don't think I'd get this collection past the record label suits, however, with 'Hooks in You' but no 'Trooper'. For me though, this is the perfect Maiden collection. 'Empire of the Clouds' to close the disk means it has to be limited to twelve tracks, but it's the perfect closer. 

No "Where Eagles Dare?"

11 hours ago, Balor said:

No "Where Eagles Dare?"

Well, it’s a great song. Is it good enough to squeeze into a best of? If pushed I could exchange it with ‘Hooks in You’ or ‘Fear of the Dark’, but I wanted to get at least a couple of tracks from the post 88 material. 

I had to really dig for a band for this, because it had to be something I'm very familiar with. I would've wanted to do this with Profetus but honestly I have like three albums to work with, so instead I'm going to go with Finnish industrial metal band called Manzana.

so here's best of Manzana, carefully chosen by Misto:

1. Stay Away From My Universe (Industrial Hippies, 2010)
  2. Love Hate Song (Toy Machine, 2013)
  3. Beautiful Nightmare (Toy Machine, 2013)
  4. Mother Can't Rock (Industrial Hippies, 2010)
  5. Creeps and Happy Whores (Toy Machine, 2013)
  6. Danse Macabre*) (2018)
  7. World is a Vampire (Babies of Revolution, 2008) 
  8. Speed Up The Train (Industrial Hippies, 2010)
  9. Bitch Likes to Hit (Toy Machine, 2013)
  10. End of the World (Babies of Revolution, 2008) 
  11. OK Metal (Toy Machine, 2013)
  12. Demolition Doll (Industrial Hippies, 2010)
  13. Falling to Pieces (Nothing As Whole As A Broken Heart, 2007)

*) It seems like their new album is still not out yet and their website is not working atm so I can't double check, but no other website has any info on their newest album so I guess the only track out is Danse Macabre and it's not even out as a single, just as a music video...

Honestly since Manzana is as obscure as it is, it's hard to know which songs are popular and which ones are overlooked because I'm honestly just going with my taste and what they play at their gigs. Also if there ever is a best of, I hope no one asks me about the order of the songs because honestly, I know nothing about that. 

Requiem’s Megadeth Best of 

1. ‘Into the Lungs of Hell/Set the World Afire’ from So Far So Good So What (1988)

2. ‘Holy Wars... The Punishment Due’ from Rust in Peace (1990)

3. ‘Addicted to Chaos’ from Youthanasia (1994)

4. ‘Hangar 18’ from Rust in Peace (1990)

5. ‘Trust’ from Cryptic Writings (1997)

6. ‘Wake up Dead’ from Peace Sells (1986)

7. ‘Crush Em’ from Risk (1999)

8. ‘Countdown to Extinction’ from Countdown to Extinction (1992)

9. ‘Train of Consequences’ from Youthanasia (1994)

10. ‘Skin o my Teeth’ from Countdown to Extinction (1992)

11. ‘Rust in Peace’ from Rust in Peace (1990)

12. ‘Reckoning Day’ from Youthanasia (1994)

13. ‘Peace Sells’ from Peace Sells (1986)

14. ‘Tornado of Souls’ from Rust in Peace (1990)

15. ‘In my Darkest Hour’ from So Far So Good So What (1988)

16. ‘Youthanasia’ from Youthanasia (1994)

I wrote this on my phone on a whim so may have forgotten some classics. It’s telling that there’s nothing released in the last 19 years. Also, yes ‘Crush Em’ is awesome. It was in Dawson’s Creek, come on. 

10 hours ago, Requiem said:

Requiem’s Megadeth Best of 

1. ‘Into the Lungs of Hell/Set the World Afire’ from So Far So Good So What (1988)

2. ‘Holy Wars... The Punishment Due’ from Rust in Peace (1990)

3. ‘Addicted to Chaos’ from Youthanasia (1994)

4. ‘Hangar 18’ from Rust in Peace (1990)

5. ‘Trust’ from Cryptic Writings (1997)

6. ‘Wake up Dead’ from Peace Sells (1986)

7. ‘Crush Em’ from Risk (1999)

8. ‘Countdown to Extinction’ from Countdown to Extinction (1992)

9. ‘Train of Consequences’ from Youthanasia (1994)

10. ‘Skin o my Teeth’ from Countdown to Extinction (1992)

11. ‘Rust in Peace’ from Rust in Peace (1990)

12. ‘Reckoning Day’ from Youthanasia (1994)

13. ‘Peace Sells’ from Peace Sells (1986)

14. ‘Tornado of Souls’ from Rust in Peace (1990)

15. ‘In my Darkest Hour’ from So Far So Good So What (1988)

16. ‘Youthanasia’ from Youthanasia (1994)

I wrote this on my phone on a whim so may have forgotten some classics. It’s telling that there’s nothing released in the last 19 years. Also, yes ‘Crush Em’ is awesome. It was in Dawson’s Creek, come on. 

Did you not like "Dystopia?"

Best of Deathspell Omega - choice cuts -

I find everything released by them to be outstanding, but here is my current top 10 list

1. Chaining the Katechon (Chaining the Katechon EP)

2. Onward Where Most With Ravin I May Meet (The Synarchy of Molten Bones)

3. Abscission (Paracletus)

4. Apokatastasis Panton (Paracletus)

5. Carnal Malefactor (Si Monumentum...)

6. A Chore for the Lost (FAS)

7. Famished for Breath (The Synarchy of Molten Bones)

8. Phosphene (Paracletus)

9. Diabolus Absconditus (EP)

10. The Crackled Book of Life (Drought)

Honorable mentions include: First Prayer (SMRC), Bread of Bitterness (FAS), The Synarchy of Molten Bones (Title track) and Wings of Predation (Paracletus) 

What to choose for a band that's already been the subject of two "best of" compilations? Tricky... but I think I can make this work without edits.
____

FA's "Eat Your Greens: Yet Another Type O Negative Compilation" tracklist:

01. "Christian Woman" - Bloody Kisses (1993)
02. "Everything Dies" - World Coming Down (1999)
03. "Gravitational Constant" - Slow, Deep, And Hard (1991)
04."It's Never Enough" - The Least Worst Of Type O Negative (2000)
05. "Anesthesia" - Life Is Killing Me (2003)
06. "September Sun" - Dead Again (2007)
07. "Summer Breeze (Seals and Croft cover)" - Bloody Kisses (1993)
08. "I Know You're Fucking Someone Else" - The Origin Of The Feces (1992)
09. "Haunted" - October Rust (1996)

4 hours ago, salmonellapancake said:

Hell, I listened to it once and never took it off the shelf again

I do not understand why people dislike this album.  I liked it the times that I have listened to it.  I will have to revisit it soon.

1 hour ago, Balor said:

I enjoyed it, and thought that some of the songs were pretty good and catchy.  It's not their best, but definitely not that bad.

I like it ok from the few times I’ve heard it, but I wouldnt put any of its tracks in the ball park of my favourites. That’s why it and other ok releases from the ‘deth dont appear in my best of release. Unfortunately it means my list is skewed to the early 90s to suit my taste. Hail Nick Menza. Hail Marty Friedman!!

Requiem's Borknagar Best of

1. 'The Rhymes of the Mountain' from Winter Thrice (2016)

2. 'The Genuine Pulse' from Empiricism (2001)

3. 'My Domain' from Universal (2010)

4. 'Winter Thrice' from Winter Thrice (2016)

5. 'Rivalry of Phantoms' from Quintessence (2000)

6. 'Vintervredets Sjelesagn' from Borknagar (1996)

7. 'Epochalypse' from Urd (2012)

8. 'Matter and Motion' from Empericism (2001)

9. 'Frostrite' from Urd (2012)

10. 'Cold Runs the River' from Winter Thrice (2016)

11. 'Future Reminiscence' from Epic (2004)

12. 'Gods of My World' from Empiricism (2001)

13. 'Tanker Mot Tind (Kvelding)' from Borknagar (1996) 

14. 'Colossus' from Quintessence (2000)

One of the greatest bands in the world, this band is perfect for Best ofs, with a few killer songs from each album. I couldn't fit anything from 'The Archaic Course' or 'The Olden Domain' which I know is blasphemy but the newer material is just so compelling. However, I did fit in the opening track and the Ivar Bjornson instrumental from the debut. This Best Of features mostly the Vintersorg/ICS Vortex/Lars Nedland vocal material - three of my favourite singers in metal.