Hello from a long time metalhead

VektorAlgebra

7 hours ago, VektorAlgebra said:

Hello everyone, here's a quick hello from me before I start using this forum. Have been a long time metal head, but it has been a while since I have been active on any forums. Well I have been checking out the music related posts here for a while and now I think it's time to start getting active myself. Cheers!

7 hours ago, Benni said:

Welcome!

I joined recently too

Hope you enjoy it here

Welcome to both of you!  What bands/genres do you like?

48 minutes ago, Balor said:

Welcome to both of you!  What bands/genres do you like?

Thank you!

There are so many. I kinda grew up on hair metal, but these days as far as genres go I tend to prefer melodic death metal, but I also dabble in Black metal, Technical Death Metal, Industrial, Heavy Metal, and Metalcore. 

Some favorites bands would be Iron Maiden, Motley Crue, Dark Tranquility, Scar Symmetry, Threat Signal, Children of Bodom, Necrophagist, Job for a Cowboy, Goatwhore, Gojira, Augury, Amon Amarth, Nightwish, Arch Enemy, Behemoth, The Black Dahlia Murder, Baroness, Type O Negative, Nine Inch Nails, and Godflesh.

I like endless amounts of metalcore bands but my favorites are Every Time I Die, Norma Jean, Underoath, Between the Buried and Me, Atreyu, Sonic Syndicate, Escape the Fate, and A Skylit Drive. 

20 minutes ago, Benni said:

Thank you!

There are so many. I kinda grew up on hair metal, but these days as far as genres go I tend to prefer melodic death metal, but I also dabble in Black metal, Technical Death Metal, Industrial, Heavy Metal, and Metalcore. 

Some favorites bands would be Iron Maiden, Motley Crue, Dark Tranquility, Scar Symmetry, Threat Signal, Children of Bodom, Necrophagist, Job for a Cowboy, Goatwhore, Gojira, Augury, Amon Amarth, Nightwish, Arch Enemy, Behemoth, The Black Dahlia Murder, Baroness, Type O Negative, Nine Inch Nails, and Godflesh.

I like endless amounts of metalcore bands but my favorites are Every Time I Die, Norma Jean, Underoath, Between the Buried and Me, Atreyu, Sonic Syndicate, Escape the Fate, and A Skylit Drive. 

Cool!  I like Behemoth quite a bit, and Amon Amarth was one of the first Death Metal bands that I got into.  While I am not a fan of Deathcore, I was always impressed by the vocalist in Job for a Cowboy.  No Dissection?

26 minutes ago, Balor said:

Cool!  I like Behemoth quite a bit, and Amon Amarth was one of the first Death Metal bands that I got into.  While I am not a fan of Deathcore, I was always impressed by the vocalist in Job for a Cowboy.  No Dissection?

Really? that's cool. I think the first death metal band i got into was Children of Bodom. I didn't really think I would ever like anything harder than just regular metal but after hearing them I just wanted to try every band and see how heavy I could go. Now I don't really have a limit. 

I'm always impressed by metal vocalists. I honestly want to learn to scream. I've been working on it. I'm a good singer in general but I've always had a very clean sound. I am able to get distortion of some kinds but right now its not very consistent. But I hear a lot of vocals in metal that just amaze me and then I want to do it too. Sometimes when I don't think about it I can produce a pretty amazing scathing sound, but then I cant recreate it and that makes me sad

Oh yes, I like Dissection. That's definitely my kind of sound. I just didn't want my list to get too long so I had to narrow it down quite a bit. There are a lot of groups I like but brevity is good

Thanks guys for the warm welcome!

Well, I like so many different styles within metal. I can safely say that I like the best stuff from almost every subgenre, though I'm not a very big fan of metalcore/deathcore. 

Tech/prog death metal has always been a personal favourite especially if done well. Obscura, Beyond Creation, Atheist, Decrepit Birth (Diminishing Between Worlds and Polarity only), Augury (Concealed) etc. 

Apart from the above, a brief glimpse at some bands I like a lot - Anacrusis, Anathema, Skid Row, King's X, Sigh, Vektor etc.

Just now, Benni said:

Oh yes, I like Dissection. That's definitely my kind of sound. I just didn't want my list to get too long so I had to narrow it down quite a bit.

Long lists are a forum's bread and butter, don't be shy.

1 minute ago, VektorAlgebra said:

Thanks guys for the warm welcome!

Well, I like so many different styles within metal. I can safely say that I like the best stuff from almost every subgenre, though I'm not a very big fan of metalcore/deathcore. 

Tech/prog death metal has always been a personal favourite especially if done well. Obscura, Beyond Creation, Atheist, Decrepit Birth (Diminishing Between Worlds and Polarity only), Augury (Concealed) etc. 

Apart from the above, a brief glimpse at some bands I like a lot - Anacrusis, Anathema, Skid Row, King's X, Sigh, Vektor etc.

Sweet list. I loooove the first two Atheist albums, and Decrepit Birth's "Diminishing" and Augury's "Fragmentary Evidence" are among the handful of modern tech DM albums I enjoy. Are you a fan of Anata? I'm also into Anacrusis (especially Suffering Hour), old Anathema, and Vektor.

12 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Long lists are a forum's bread and butter, don't be shy.

Really? I've never actually been on a forum like that before. I've always been on forums where if you talked too much or gave too much info at once people would perceive it negatively. Like you were showing off or attention whoring. Or they'd see how long a post or list was and just skip it out of laziness.

So if I have finally found a place where I can speak freely that's really awesome

56 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Sweet list. I loooove the first two Atheist albums, and Decrepit Birth's "Diminishing" and Augury's "Fragmentary Evidence" are among the handful of modern tech DM albums I enjoy. Are you a fan of Anata? I'm also into Anacrusis (especially Suffering Hour), old Anathema, and Vektor.

Atheist's Unquestionable Presence remains my all time favourite album, only challenged by Decrepit Birth's Diminishing Between Worlds and Obscura's Omnivium. For me, no other album comes even close to it. Anata are pretty awesome too, love the way they introduce melody into their stuff. Lykathea Aflame too, for that matter. 

Great that you are into Anacrusis, not many even know of them. I love all Anacrusis albums except for Reason - that one just didn't gel with me somehow. Manic Impressions is brilliant, but marred by the bad production. What other stuff are you into?

1 hour ago, VektorAlgebra said:

Atheist's Unquestionable Presence remains my all time favourite album, only challenged by Decrepit Birth's Diminishing Between Worlds and Obscura's Omnivium. For me, no other album comes even close to it. Anata are pretty awesome too, love the way they introduce melody into their stuff. Lykathea Aflame too, for that matter. 

Great that you are into Anacrusis, not many even know of them. I love all Anacrusis albums except for Reason - that one just didn't gel with me somehow. Manic Impressions is brilliant, but marred by the bad production. What other stuff are you into?

Unquestionable Presence rules so hard. Getting into Decrepit Birth was a bit of a challenge for me - that "modern" death metal sound really puts my teeth on edge. But the guitar work is really solid. Lykathea Aflame was amazing. I like the Appalling Spawn stuff as well but it doesn't seem as cohesive. I'm also a big fan of T.O.O.H., do you get into them? The vocals are an acquired taste but the music is pretty wonderful, if a bit sloppy.

As far as what else I listen to, I love prog death like older Opeth, Edge Of Sanity, Pan.Thy.Monium, Disaffected, Death, Akercocke, Hieronymus Bosch; lots of older DM in general, and a lot of Finnish stuff in particular; a bunch of dissonant death and black metal like Gorguts, Ved Buens Ende, Ulcerate, DSO, Plebeian Grandstand, Suffering Hour, Abyssal, Golgothan Remains, Jute Gyte; some black metal, some grind, a little bit of thrash (Coroner FTW), some prog rock (especially KC and Rush), lots of different stuff depending on my mood. Lately I've been on a big power metal kick - Lethal, Crimson Glory, old Queensryche, Fates Warning, Titan Force, Blind Guardian, Demons & Wizards, Running Wild - and also delving into funeral doom. I'm loving Evoken and Mournful Congregation in particular right now.

Natassja7, deathstorm and salmonellapancake - thanks for the welcome!

p.s - salmonellapancake is an awesome name too, haha :)

On 6/16/2018 at 2:11 AM, FatherAlabaster said:

Unquestionable Presence rules so hard. Getting into Decrepit Birth was a bit of a challenge for me - that "modern" death metal sound really puts my teeth on edge. But the guitar work is really solid. Lykathea Aflame was amazing. I like the Appalling Spawn stuff as well but it doesn't seem as cohesive. I'm also a big fan of T.O.O.H., do you get into them? The vocals are an acquired taste but the music is pretty wonderful, if a bit sloppy.

As far as what else I listen to, I love prog death like older Opeth, Edge Of Sanity, Pan.Thy.Monium, Disaffected, Death, Akercocke, Hieronymus Bosch; lots of older DM in general, and a lot of Finnish stuff in particular; a bunch of dissonant death and black metal like Gorguts, Ved Buens Ende, Ulcerate, DSO, Plebeian Grandstand, Suffering Hour, Abyssal, Golgothan Remains, Jute Gyte; some black metal, some grind, a little bit of thrash (Coroner FTW), some prog rock (especially KC and Rush), lots of different stuff depending on my mood. Lately I've been on a big power metal kick - Lethal, Crimson Glory, old Queensryche, Fates Warning, Titan Force, Blind Guardian, Demons & Wizards, Running Wild - and also delving into funeral doom. I'm loving Evoken and Mournful Congregation in particular right now.

Awesome list of stuff. I love T.O.O.H! Always kind of had a soft spot for Czech bands, especially grind bands like Alienation Mental. I can understand what you mean by the vocals though. While I can still tolerate the T.O.O.H vocals, there are a few bands that despite appealing to me musically, still find themselves being put at arms length just because I cannot get used to the vocals. Mekong Delta seems to be the perfect example of such a band for me. 

2 hours ago, VektorAlgebra said:

Natassja7, deathstorm and salmonellapancake - thanks for the welcome!

p.s - salmonellapancake is an awesome name too, haha :)

Awesome list of stuff. I love T.O.O.H! Always kind of had a soft spot for Czech bands, especially grind bands like Alienation Mental. I can understand what you mean by the vocals though. While I can still tolerate the T.O.O.H vocals, there are a few bands that despite appealing to me musically, still find themselves being put at arms length just because I cannot get used to the vocals. Mekong Delta seems to be the perfect example of such a band for me. 

Nice! One of my friends turned me on to Alienation Mental's album "Ball Spouter" a few months ago. That snare sound... I know T.O.O.H. used an electronic kit, but it's almost like there was only one snare drum in Prague and all the metal bands had to share it. I love how messy that album is. It's not my favorite but it's great to have in the mix. I used to listen to Jig-Ai a bunch as well, though I haven't revisited them in years. Are there any other Czech bands along those lines that you'd recommend?

I share your opinion of Mekong Delta. I always feel a little guilty when vocals put me off a good band, but sometimes I can't overcome that. Thrash and hardcore are rife with vocalists who get on my nerves, but even some modern DM vocals irritate me - Virvum, for instance, I really enjoy their music and songwriting but the vocals are so monotonous that they almost ruin the album.

23 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Nice! One of my friends turned me on to Alienation Mental's album "Ball Spouter" a few months ago. That snare sound... I know T.O.O.H. used an electronic kit, but it's almost like there was only one snare drum in Prague and all the metal bands had to share it. I love how messy that album is. It's not my favorite but it's great to have in the mix. I used to listen to Jig-Ai a bunch as well, though I haven't revisited them in years. Are there any other Czech bands along those lines that you'd recommend?

I share your opinion of Mekong Delta. I always feel a little guilty when vocals put me off a good band, but sometimes I can't overcome that. Thrash and hardcore are rife with vocalists who get on my nerves, but even some modern DM vocals irritate me - Virvum, for instance, I really enjoy their music and songwriting but the vocals are so monotonous that they almost ruin the album.

Same here, I have not really kept track of the Czech scene for a while now. But apart from Jig Ai and Alienation Mental, some of the bands I remember liking quite a bit used to be NCC (Negligent Collateral Collapse), Eardelete (mostly NCC members), Cerebral Turbulency, Four Seats for Invalids, some of Ahumadu Granujo's stuff and some straight up death metal from Fleshless and Ingrowing. 

And coming back to the topic of annoying vocals, it makes me feel very guilty too whenever I listen to Archspire. Really good music at times, but the vocals mostly just ruin it for me completely. 

Oh, I had a question to ask you - Lately I have not been listening to whole albums but random individual songs instead. I tried searching for a thread here which focuses on highlighting good songs heard, but could not really find anything recent. Can I start a new thread on this, and which forum section will it belong to? 

41 minutes ago, VektorAlgebra said:

Same here, I have not really kept track of the Czech scene for a while now. But apart from Jig Ai and Alienation Mental, some of the bands I remember liking quite a bit used to be NCC (Negligent Collateral Collapse), Eardelete (mostly NCC members), Cerebral Turbulency, Four Seats for Invalids, some of Ahumadu Granujo's stuff and some straight up death metal from Fleshless and Ingrowing. 

And coming back to the topic of annoying vocals, it makes me feel very guilty too whenever I listen to Archspire. Really good music at times, but the vocals mostly just ruin it for me completely. 

Oh, I had a question to ask you - Lately I have not been listening to whole albums but random individual songs instead. I tried searching for a thread here which focuses on highlighting good songs heard, but could not really find anything recent. Can I start a new thread on this, and which forum section will it belong to? 

Man, I can't fucking stand Archspire's vocals. I know people who love them, it's totally subjective and all that, but I don't get the appeal. Thanks for the Czech recommendations -Czechommendations? Eek. I've listened to a bit of Ahumado Granujo and Cerebral Turbulency, but never heard of the others.

I think any good song recommendations you have would be fine to post in the "What are you listening to?" thread. I almost always listen to full albums but plenty of people post individual songs in there. If you want to start a songs-only thread, General Chat would be the best section to use.

On 6/19/2018 at 7:39 PM, FatherAlabaster said:

Man, I can't fucking stand Archspire's vocals. I know people who love them, it's totally subjective and all that, but I don't get the appeal. Thanks for the Czech recommendations -Czechommendations? Eek. I've listened to a bit of Ahumado Granujo and Cerebral Turbulency, but never heard of the others.

I think any good song recommendations you have would be fine to post in the "What are you listening to?" thread. I almost always listen to full albums but plenty of people post individual songs in there. If you want to start a songs-only thread, General Chat would be the best section to use.

Oh, regarding the Czech bands, I forgot to mention Reek of Shits' album Bloody Obstetric Technology - a tad simplistic but really groovy goregrind.  

Thank you, I will start a thread in the General Chat section soon. I can see what you mean regarding the 'what are you listening to' thread, but that thread is a bit too general - I was thinking of a dedicated thread for songs that have really caught someone's interest, along with youtube/bandcamp links to the songs as well.