Overrated

Fraser

Always think that finding out what people think is overrated in Metal/Rock is a good talking point. SO LETS DISCUSS. il start with 2 bands

I will start with Metallica, To be called the greatest Thrash band ever is an insult to too many bands to list. The riffs are repetitive and boring and the vocals are a cacophony of poor singing and shouting. Not the absolute worst band but highly highly overrated in my opinion. 

Kiss - Literally a joke band. Without the stage show and circus act they preform the music is shit and Gene Simmons is a weirdo. 

11 hours ago, Fraser said:

Kiss - Literally a joke band. Without the stage show and circus act they preform the music is shit and Gene Simmons is a weirdo. 

I don't really think having an arsehole in the band makes it overrated.

Could you point out what makes their music bad (and worse than other bands in their sub genre)?

I'm just saying this because I could use the same vague description on a variety of bands:

Mayhem - Literally a joke band. Without the stage show and circus act they preform the music is shit and Euronymous was a weirdo. 

Slipknot - Literally a joke band. Without the stage show and circus act they preform the music is shit and Clown is a weirdo. 

Deicide - Literally a joke band. Without the stage show and circus act they preform the music is shit and Glen Benton is a weirdo. 

12 hours ago, Fraser said:

I will start with Metallica, To be called the greatest Thrash band ever is an insult to too many bands to list. The riffs are repetitive and boring and the vocals are a cacophony of poor singing and shouting. Not the absolute worst band but highly highly overrated in my opinion. 

While their new material does not match the classic albums that they produced, they are nevertheless a very good band.  When I was first getting into metal, I always thought that Metallica had great, moving riffs.  Metallica has some of the most consistently solid singing that I have heard in any band.  Besides something is only overrated in respect to the opinions of other people.  Why not just listen to what you like, and not waste time bashing bands that you do not care for.

1 hour ago, Balor said:

While their new material does not match the classic albums that they produced, they are nevertheless a very good band.  When I was first getting into metal, I always thought that Metallica had great, moving riffs.  Metallica has some of the most consistently solid singing that I have heard in any band.  Besides something is only overrated in respect to the opinions of other people.  Why not just listen to what you like, and not waste time bashing bands that you do not care for.

Consistent singing yes, consistently good not so much though James' vocals certainly suit the music. I think the point is to spark discussion. He's expressed the view that Metallica have weak vocals and dull riffs. I disagree on both counts but agree the band is over-rated. I don't feel the hero worship they recieved is warranted.

17 hours ago, Balor said:

Band Bashing? No it is a disussion point. If you dont like the content of the discussion then dont comment, simple. 

4 hours ago, Fraser said:

Band Bashing? No it is a disussion point. If you dont like the content of the discussion then dont comment, simple. 

Then discuss and give reasons for your views.  Simply stating your negative conclusions about the quality of a band does little to stimulate a positive or productive discussion.

19 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Consistent singing yes, consistently good not so much though James' vocals certainly suit the music. I think the point is to spark discussion. He's expressed the view that Metallica have weak vocals and dull riffs. I disagree on both counts but agree the band is over-rated. I don't feel the hero worship they recieved is warranted.

Fair view, I think.  They are certainly not the greatest band in metal.  My guess is that most of the "hero worship" emanates from people who are not deep into metal that harbor more romantic views of the band.

My view of Metallica is that they peaked on RTL. Those first two albums are very good laying the foundation for thrash. Puppets and Justice have some good songs but I don't think the album experience is great. After that Metallica became more a rock then a metal band.

Here's another one for you and it's more controversial. Morbid Angel are over-rated in my opinion. Whilst their first three albums are incredible, even better, and pretty good but after that MA drop the ball. They're rightly praised for those first three records. I won't deny that for a second. I just feel they aren't the greatest DM band in the world as other bands have stronger discographies.

My view of Metallica is that they peaked on RTL. Those first two albums are very good laying the foundation for thrash. Puppets and Justice have some good songs but I don't think the album experience is great. After that Metallica became more a rock then a metal band.

Here's another one for you and it's more controversial. Morbid Angel are over-rated in my opinion. Whilst their first three albums are incredible, even better, and pretty good but after that MA drop the ball. They're rightly praised for those first three records. I won't deny that for a second. I just feel they aren't the greatest DM band in the world as other bands have stronger discographies.
I agree almost verbatim with you Metallica stance, but I can't get behind the Morbid Angel statements here. All 4 of the Steve Tucker albums have been good to one degree or another, with Formulas being my 2nd favorite Morbid Angel album. They really only stumbled on Domination and Illud AFAIC, and otherwise have proven themselves as one of death metal's more solid institutions. You owe it to yourself to at least hear Formulas and Gateways, as they remind me of Covenant and Domination respectively, but without most of the blunders and inconsistencies from those albums.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, guys. I'm back under a different account after several months. 

Anyway, I do agree with Metallica peaking with RtL. Especially considering that bands like Megadeth, Watchtower and Razor where all pushing the envelope in more interesting ways, both sonically and compositionally, from 1985 onward.

Anyway, I do agree with Metallica peaking with RtL. Especially considering that bands like Megadeth, Watchtower and Razor where all pushing the envelope in more interesting ways, both sonically and compositionally, from 1985 onward.
Hey, welcome back! I had wondered where you had gone off to. Hope all is well.

26 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

Hey, welcome back! I had wondered where you had gone off to. Hope all is well.

All is well but I'm currently trying to see if I can recover my previous account. I had to close the email I was using for the other one and inadvertently locked myself out of it. 

Formulas is certainly underappreciated and a feverish roar of freewheeling death metal on the part of Trey Azagthoth.

56 minutes ago, Ekthelion said:

Welcome back, nice to see you posting again. I'll message the admin if you want help getting back in to your old account.

As for the controversy at hand, I think Metallica were great up through Justice, and that's my personal favorite. Even Puppets is more mature and interesting to my ears than Lightning, although neither are bad albums. But goddamn if this bone hasn't been picked clean already!

12 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Welcome back, nice to see you posting again. I'll message the admin if you want help getting back in to your old account.

As for the controversy at hand, I think Metallica were great up through Justice, and that's my personal favorite. Even Puppets is more mature and interesting to my ears than Lightning, although neither are bad albums. But goddamn if this bone hasn't been picked clean already!

Thanks, I'm glad to be back. BAN already sent a message but I'll take any help I can get, if necessary. Also, yeah, there isn't much to talk about in regards to Metallica at present in regards to their '80s output that has not already been said. 

Besides, when it came to the idea of overrated thrash, Anthrax largely takes the cake. 

Thanks, I'm glad to be back. BAN already sent a message but I'll take any help I can get, if necessary. Also, yeah, there isn't much to talk about in regards to Metallica at present in regards to their '80s output that has not already been said. 
Besides, when it came to the idea of overrated thrash, Anthrax largely takes the cake. 

I don't know, Testament and Death Angel are definite contenders in that category too. They both had good debuts and some decent albums after, but I'm not sure why they're as celebrated as they are.

Just now, Ekthelion said:

Cool, I'll try and hit him up on Facebook in case he doesn't check in here.

14 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

I don't know, Testament and Death Angel are definite contenders in that category too. They both had good debuts and some decent albums after, but I'm not sure why they're as celebrated as they are.

Yeah, now that you mention it, I can't really think of a Testament album that I like other than the first two (and again, I think Forbidden largely overtakes them in overall quality) and Death Angel pretty much peaked with just their debut and never achieved that level of inspiration again. Which is made all the more amusing by the fact that both The Legacy and The Ultra-Violence came out in 1987. The same year in which Release from Agony, Terror and SubmissionMission ExecutedRIPMekong Delta, None Shall Defy, etc. That is some daunting competition.  

13 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Cool, I'll try and hit him up on Facebook in case he doesn't check in here.

That'd be great. Thanks. 

It's not just the stiff competition at the time, but that they both failed to effectively follow up their strong early offers. They weren't as strong as many others that were in play at the time, but might have been better remembered were it not for the many mediocre albums that followed from them. Both had weak comebacks too, much weaker than the likes of Exodus, Destruction, the revitalized Overkill, etc...

6 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

It's not just the stiff competition at the time, but that they both failed to effectively follow up their strong early offers. They weren't as strong as many others that were in play at the time, but might have been better remembered were it not for the many mediocre albums that followed from them. Both had weak comebacks too, much weaker than the likes of Exodus, Destruction, the revitalized Overkill, etc...

Of course that's a factor but when even their best work only proved adequate, it makes a comeback even more of an uphill battle. Destruction had their first four albums to back themselves up, Overkill had everything up to Horrorscope (barring Under the Influence), Exodus had Bonded by Blood and their underrated ouput with Zetro, etc. The presence of bands like Coroner, Target, Holy Terror, Infernal Majesty, etc. only exacerbates that problem. 

Of course that's a factor but when even their best work only proved adequate, it makes a comeback even more of an uphill battle. Destruction had their first four albums to back themselves up, Overkill had everything up to Horrorscope (barring Under the Influence), Exodus had Bonded by Blood and their underrated ouput with Zetro, etc. The presence of bands like Coroner, Target, Holy Terror, Infernal Majesty, etc. only exacerbates that problem. 
Agreed 100%. It's rare that a comeback eclipses your prime releases, and if those releases weren't amazing to begin with, it's hard to expect much. The Ultra-Violence is pretty damn good, and really does qualify as one of the better debuts from the Bay, but just about every other Bay Area band stepped it up with their subsequent releases (save for Testament, Vio-Lence and Sacrilege BC) and ended up with a fairly solid legacy (no pun intended).

On 19/03/2018 at 11:41 AM, Fraser said:

Always think that finding out what people think is overrated in Metal/Rock is a good talking point. SO LETS DISCUSS. il start with 2 bands

I can agree with you on that one

Master of Puppets is my favourite Metallica album. It’s an epic, ambitious riff-fest with one of the best 1-2s in Metal history with Battery and the title track. Great album. 

But I agree the band is overrated and I find it annoying that they seem to be what the public considers all metal to be. 

Master of Puppets is my favourite Metallica album. It’s an epic, ambitious riff-fest with one of the best 1-2s in Metal history with Battery and the title track. Great album. 
But I agree the band is overrated and I find it annoying that they seem to be what the public considers all metal to be. 
It has always felt like a watered down and streamlined Ride the Lightning to me. It's structured the same, but even though it's cleaner and tighter, it somehow seems a lot less energized and inspired.

36 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

It has always felt like a watered down and streamlined Ride the Lightning to me. It's structured the same, but even though it's cleaner and tighter, it somehow seems a lot less energized and inspired.

I haven't heard 'Ride the Lightning' in years. I'll have to give it another youtube spin to hear some of those classics again. 

Here's another fun one. It's my personal view that Mayhem are over-rated. Yes they gave us the single greatest black metal album in De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas. Deathcrush was cool first wave BM in the Bathory mould. In my opinion though a band which sees such regular and high praise ought to have more then 1 iconic album. Darkthrone, who are always spoken of in the same breath as Mayhem, at least have Blaze, Funeral Moon, and Transilvanian Hunger (and that's just the BM material) and while what followed was a gradual decrease in quality there are a couple more solid albums to go with the classics.