Mayhem

Requiem

16 minutes ago, Necturion said:

It just seems so odd that this name pops up with the zeitz recordings and it seems to be a widespread rumour, however the recordings that I found (those are not the ones I was talking about) seemed to be slowed down versions of Zeitz indeed.

And hello @Balor

All I can say is that I've never heard of this show before at all, and I don't think it's real. 1990 would have been a 'Dead' show, and as far as I can tell there was only ever Zeitz, Jessheim, Leipzig, Salzburg and an aborted show in Turkey. 

It would be cool if this show existed, but if it does exist it's metal's best kept secret! 

Also, Necto, you've got your mathematics a bit skewed. If a person was 18 in 1990 they wouldn't be 36, they would be 47! So perhaps look for some 50 year olds! 

@Requiem Alright, then it most likely is a hoax. It still baffles my mind. I found out about it by an article called all of Mayhem's shows in 1990 or something. I still wonder how tf and who made it up. it has to be someone closeby. But even then, why do I find (fake Leipzig) recordings claiming to be in my town on russian sites? It's fucked up and really messing up my mind more than it should probably.

4 hours ago, Requiem said:

Salzburg

Also, I think you meant Sarpsborg :)

• 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Nephilim said:

I asked if it would be cool to use one of their song titles as a name for a one man black/synth project I'm working on.

It sounds like they would be a good place to ask the question that was being discussed above, then.  Its nice to know that the band (or their management at least) is willing to engage with fans.

• 3 weeks later...

So today is the official release day of 'Daemon', after five years of waiting since the very unengaging 'Esoteric Warfare'. 

However! 

While the digital version was released as planned, downloading automatically on my phone from Apple Music while I slept my demon sleep of doom, the physical editions have been delayed until November 8th! So even though I pre-ordered a media book slipcase CD version back on the 18th of October from a local(ish) retailer, I've discovered today that it won't be arriving for some time yet. 

After getting in touch with the store they thought it was an Australian distribution issue, but now it seems like every distributor around the world, including the official Mayhem site, is quoting November 8th. 

A strange turn of events considering the pretty effective marketing program that has been taking place, replete with good old Necrobutcher now claiming he was going to kill Euronymous himself *lol* *sigh*. 

Seems to me like Mayhem are likely to lose a few sales by having the physical version out a full two weeks after the digital version hits our phones/computers. Impulse buyers might have cooled down by the time they actually have the opportunity to hand over their cash for the real thing.  

Needless to say, I've also just ordered the jewel case version and I haven't heard the album yet. I'll be playing it tomorrow night, although I'm sorry that my first run through won't be with the packaging/booklet/liner notes.  

Yeah the new album is so good. I’m kind of a weirdo and couldnt get into anything of theirs after Mysteriis, and thought Deathcrush and Leipzig are their best releases but Daemon really does it for me. The vocals are more intense and passionate and actually fit the brutality of the music rather than being weird. 

Been listening to the new album for a few days now, but i´m guess in the minority here. It sounds okay but nowhere near as exciting as previous releases. I guess i got used to Mayhem switching up their style every other album. To my ears this one just sound a little plain and pedestrian with no real standout moments so far. De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas already exists so why rehash that particular style? On the other hand it´s commendable that they chose to keep it simple for once instead of going nuts like they did on Grand Declaration of War or Ordo Ad Chao.

I don´t know, guess i´m still somewhat torn about the new album. I hope it will start to click after a few more spins. And if not i can still enjoy their previous ouput, no love lost.

I've been listening to the (digital... fuck) album quite a bit as well, especially while walking at night. 

I definitely like it a lot, and I like it a hell of a lot more than 'Esoteric Warfare' and 'Ordo ad Chao'. I think a move towards the 'De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas' sound was a great decision, as I think it brings things back - not quite full circle - but at least part of the circle. It's still its own entity though, for which I commend Teloch and the band. I think they've hit the balance right for what I'm looking for. 

As for the true quality of the album, I am slightly surprised at the rabid praise it's receiving from various websites so early on. I think at this early stage of listening it's a very good album, but I haven't quite connected with it on the next level and I think it's an album that, despite it's deceptive simplicity, needs quite a few listens. I don't know if the riffs are classic yet - they're just good riffs at the moment.

I haven't been drunk with it, put it that way. But that's about to change....

EDIT:

At first I thought that the Apple Music version of 'Deathcrush' didn't have 'Pure Fucking Armageddon' on it, because it's not listed. The download doesn't list 'PFA' and it won't appear on your device. I 

'Pure Fucking Armageddon' actually appears on the same track as '(Weird) Manheim), so it is  on the download after all, just at the end of the piano instrumental, albeit unlisted. 

The new album is growing on me but I predict it will never overwhelm me, certainly not to the point of some of the effusive adulation of some of the reviews @Requiem mentions.

The first listen of this album got me off to sleep the other night which hardly sounds like a good thing but in essence it is a positive that I was able to relax my mind to an album that sounded pleasing enough to be of no threat to my tired soul succumbing to sleep that evening.  Listening to it in a more lucid state I can hear the variety as opposed to my initial reservations about it being "samey" but that's not to say it is littered with variety like previous offerings.  As I only really get on with De Mysteriis... from the discography it would fit quite nicely as a follow up if the back catalogue of general misfires interspersed with the occasional excellent live album wasn't in the way of my anally retentive brain.  I find it hard to forgive Grand Declaration of War and Esoteric Warfare (for example) just because the internet tells me I have to respect "a band going back to their roots" on their latest release as one scribe suggested in their endless paragraphs of praise for Daemon.

As I said to True Belief, I'm wondering if my perspective will develop when I finally get the damn thing in my hands and I can read the lyrics and look at the booklet. 

I know this is a foolish way to judge an album, but at the moment I'm just listening to the digital tracks and they're cool, but I don't have the full vibe of what's going on. I have no sense of completeness and authenticity. 

Plus, with a third songwriter now in the chain (Euro, Blasphemer, and now Teloch), it's a couple of degrees away from the initial purpose and focus. Is it still Mayhem? Would Iron Maiden still be Maiden with a third generation guy writing the tracks? Would Metallica remain worthy of praise if James left and two replacements had rolled through and written all the new music? 

I'm behind Mayhem, but the more I hear 'Daemon' in all its grandeur (and it is grand), I can't help but feel.... emptiness and a little sadness. 

The physical copies have been released upon to a very suspecting public, and I'll be discussing the physical formats briefly. I now have in my possession the standard jewel case version and the digipak mediabook. Both CD. 

Jewel Case

The jewel case is far superior to even the 'Esoteric Warfare' packaging. We've all seen the cover, but the booklet itself is really quite beautiful, with a sepia/faded parchment colour scheme, lyrics on each page in large gothic font that is actually readable. 16 page booklet. Really nicely done by Daniele Valeriani. 

Digipak Mediabook

This is the one you want, however. It comes in a hard cardboard slipcase with a stunning alternative cover all in gold and black. Two bonus tracks are listed on the back of the slipcase. The mediabook itself is glorious to say the least. The front has a close-up of the daemon's face from the main cover and there's a 34 (count em) page booklet attached within. It's a glorious thing, with many additional images that aren't present in the standard jewel case. There is no bonus disk or dvd, which might have been cool actually, but just the album disk. The back is another additional picture of flame that isn't in the jewel case. 

So if you're tossing (off) up regarding the best version to track down, you owe it to yourself to get the Mediabook. 

As for the music, well, for me it continues to grow and develop, and I'm really enjoying it. They haven't cut corners, that's for sure. 

'Daemon' Songwriting: 

At the risk of making this the Requiem show (and wouldn't you all like to watch that...), I need to say something about the songwriting credits in the booklet. Unlike pretty much every previous album, there is a lot going on here. 

What really surprised me was that Ghul (Charles Ledger of Cradle of Filth's 'Thornography' album - hardly their most kvlt release, yet Ghul's their third non-Norwegian member, which is pretty amazing when you think about it) actually writes the music to two tracks (three if you count 'Black Glass Communion', one of the bonus tracks). And what really surprises me is that they're three of the best songs on the album. He's really captured that 'De Mysteriis...' vibe and all of his songs are mid-paced atmospheric beasts. I think it was a brilliant move by whoever decided this, as the Teloch songs are great, but the Ghul tracks just give this a new perspective and help the album to breathe. It's of huge benefit to the album. 

Furthermore to this compositional analysis, Hellhammer chimes in with a songwriting credit, the Latin lyrics in the amazing 'Malum' (a Ghul song) and Necrobutcher provides lyrics for 'Bad Blood' (no, not the Taylor Swift or Amorphis versions), which I think is the first time he has written lyrics for a Mayhem song since 'Deathcrush'! Pretty amazing if I'm right about that.

Attila, has only written one set of lyrics, although every song has an arrangement credit for him, which seems lame at first but then you look at Ozzy Osbourne who actually calls that 'writing' (well, Sharon does...). 

Interestingly, the 8 songs (9 with the special edition) songs that Teloch has written also have the lyrics done by this guy. He's writing full songs for the band, which is interesting. 

So 'Daemon' has a wider songwriting pool than any other Mayhem release. A very good sign. 

On 11/11/2019 at 10:32 PM, Requiem said:

So 'Daemon' has a wider songwriting pool than any other Mayhem release. A very good sign. 

It's almost as if Mayhem has become a conduit that embodies the whole of Norwegian bm.  It is a project that a wide rage of musicians come to take part in, thereby perpetuating the band's legend and esteem into the future.  This sounds promising, and I hope it continues.

• 1 month later...

Issues #093 Nov/Dec

Wow! Necro aired out a bit more dirty laundry in this issue ! Mayhem hopes to hit the 70 mark for countries toured by the early part of 2020. Morten would like to release a record every three years vs the six year mark or so. Necro will be made into a diamond, after he has passes. The way he said it was kind of odd.  Anyone else pick this issue up ? 

Why does the magazine always smell like terror attack mail ? 

093_cover+1+FINAL+VERSION_UK+BARCODE.jpg

10 hours ago, DHR86 said:

Issues #093 Nov/Dec

Wow! Necro aired out a bit more dirty laundry in this issue ! Mayhem hopes to hit the 70 mark for countries toured by the early part of 2020. Morten would like to release a record every three years vs the six year mark or so. Necro will be made into a diamond, after he has passes. The way he said it was kind of odd.  Anyone else pick this issue up ? 

Why does the magazine always smell like terror attack mail ? 

093_cover+1+FINAL+VERSION_UK+BARCODE.jpg

Cool cover for sure, and I like how they've incorporated the batwing crosses into the logo. I used to read this magazine back in the day but it was so damn small - hard on the eyes. 

Anything interesting in the Necrobutcher interview? 

2 hours ago, Requiem said:

Cool cover for sure, and I like how they've incorporated the batwing crosses into the logo. I used to read this magazine back in the day but it was so damn small - hard on the eyes. 

Anything interesting in the Necrobutcher interview? 

Its still hell on the eyes.

One story I have not heard before- I forgot the guys name but he was around for scene and came up with the guys. He was putting together a band to tour south amer. a remaining member of mayhem was going to be on the tour- Necro found out, told the "band" that he was alright with it BUT if Necro caught wind of any merch being cold or anything remotely related to the band and Deathcrush, he would legally end them. 

• 2 months later...

So the 'Henhouse Recordings' have been released on CD by good old Peaceville just as I'd hoped, and I now have a copy. 

It came out January 24th, and a few months earlier on vinyl. When I saw it on vinyl I was really hoping it would get a CD release, and like all patient maniacs it eventually came to me. It's a recording of a rehearsal from 1989 and features the mighty Dead, Euro, Necro, Hellhammer line-up. 

Just to save everyone the hassle of listening to it, the sound is pretty bad. I'm obviously a perverted Mayhem apologist, but even for me this sound is terrible hahaha. Oh man. Don't expect a great deal of sonic precision. It says a lot about the appetite for Mayhem CDs when this thing can be released on a decent label (and people like me buy it...). The reason it's taken 31 years to come out is because in the past people wouldn't have tolerated this shit. There aren't even any real liner-notes or discussion on Mayhem, because it's all been covered on the previous 5 or 6 live CDs Peaceville have released. I think Peaceville have given up and are now just releasing literally everything they have come hell or high water and can't be fucked interviewing Metalion and Faust about their first Mayhem experiences again. 

It's still cool though. The talking between songs is interesting even though it's in Norwegian, as it's always special to hear Dead and Euronymous's speaking voices. You can't hear a lot of Dead's vocals on the songs, probably due to where the tape recorder is set up, but for some reason you can hear the between song banter really clearly. 

I have so many versions of the songs 'Deathcrush' and 'Freezing Moon' by now, and these two songs appear twice on this disk! I think I probably have 21 unique versions of 'Freezing Moon' in the collection. I'm too afraid to actually do a full audit. 

By far the most interesting aspect of the release is Track 7 (Untitled). Remember when you were listening to Emperor's 'Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk' and the booklet said that the intro to 'Ye Entrancemperium' was written by Euronymous? Well, here it is, Track 7 on this recording! It's actually the same speed, key and everything, as far as I can tell. Sort of amazing to hear that opening played here. This is a really amazing inclusion for the collector. 

There's also a DVD with this release which I'm too afraid to play because I know I'm going to get some unwatchable grainy footage. I'll save it for a (very) rainy day. 

Stay tuned for the next time I shell hard earned money over for some sort of shitty Mayhem related item. 

On 3/6/2020 at 5:17 AM, Requiem said:

So the 'Henhouse Recordings' have been released on CD by good old Peaceville just as I'd hoped, and I now have a copy. 

It came out January 24th, and a few months earlier on vinyl. When I saw it on vinyl I was really hoping it would get a CD release, and like all patient maniacs it eventually came to me. It's a recording of a rehearsal from 1989 and features the mighty Dead, Euro, Necro, Hellhammer line-up. 

Just to save everyone the hassle of listening to it, the sound is pretty bad. I'm obviously a perverted Mayhem apologist, but even for me this sound is terrible hahaha. Oh man. Don't expect a great deal of sonic precision. It says a lot about the appetite for Mayhem CDs when this thing can be released on a decent label (and people like me buy it...). The reason it's taken 31 years to come out is because in the past people wouldn't have tolerated this shit. There aren't even any real liner-notes or discussion on Mayhem, because it's all been covered on the previous 5 or 6 live CDs Peaceville have released. I think Peaceville have given up and are now just releasing literally everything they have come hell or high water and can't be fucked interviewing Metalion and Faust about their first Mayhem experiences again. 

It's still cool though. The talking between songs is interesting even though it's in Norwegian, as it's always special to hear Dead and Euronymous's speaking voices. You can't hear a lot of Dead's vocals on the songs, probably due to where the tape recorder is set up, but for some reason you can hear the between song banter really clearly. 

I have so many versions of the songs 'Deathcrush' and 'Freezing Moon' by now, and these two songs appear twice on this disk! I think I probably have 21 unique versions of 'Freezing Moon' in the collection. I'm too afraid to actually do a full audit. 

By far the most interesting aspect of the release is Track 7 (Untitled). Remember when you were listening to Emperor's 'Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk' and the booklet said that the intro to 'Ye Entrancemperium' was written by Euronymous? Well, here it is, Track 7 on this recording! It's actually the same speed, key and everything, as far as I can tell. Sort of amazing to hear that opening played here. This is a really amazing inclusion for the collector. 

There's also a DVD with this release which I'm too afraid to play because I know I'm going to get some unwatchable grainy footage. I'll save it for a (very) rainy day. 

Stay tuned for the next time I shell hard earned money over for some sort of shitty Mayhem related item. 

It's cool that the riff the Emperor track used got an official release.  It was my impression that it had only been available on bootlegs.

On 3/9/2020 at 4:44 AM, Balor said:

It's cool that the riff the Emperor track used got an official release.  It was my impression that it had only been available on bootlegs.

Yeah, well it's just an official release of the bootleg hahaha. I'd never heard it before and don't think I'd come across it. Now that I have it I've also come across it....

So much Mayhem material. The most scandalous thing about this band is that they recorded so much rehearsal/live material when just starting out. Not to mention more photos than True Belief's mom's facebook page. It's an industry! 

9 hours ago, Requiem said:

Yeah, well it's just an official release of the bootleg hahaha. I'd never heard it before and don't think I'd come across it. Now that I have it I've also come across it....

So much Mayhem material. The most scandalous thing about this band is that they recorded so much rehearsal/live material when just starting out. Not to mention more photos than True Belief's mom's facebook page. It's an industry! 

It really is shocking, now that you mention it.  Most bands seem to produce a greater volume of material the longer they are around, but Mayhem seems to have done the opposite.