Mayhem

Requiem

On 7/18/2019 at 1:40 AM, Balor said:

This is exactly how I felt about the album.

I sometimes wonder whether Mayhem is nearing its end.  Their more recent studio recordings do not sound compelling, and seem more and more monotonous.  However, they are still awesome live.  Maybe they should just focus on releasing some more live albums for the time being.

They're pretty good live, but I haven't found them great over the last 11 years.

I don't know if it's because I've seen them so many times before, and because I guess I'm a bit biased about line-ups, but the last couple of times that I saw them, including the 'De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas' show a year or two ago (with its Harry Potteresque set design, fake candles etc) left me cold.

It was so safe compared to the wild days when Blasphemer would chug out of a wine bottle and Maniac would stalk the stage like a... maniac. They just tour so much these days that each show is probably more a chore than anything else, whereas once it was a ritual, at least in my limited mind. And by the time they get around to Melbourne, they're well over it and looking at their watches... 

I think I first had my doubts about things when I saw Mayhem play live in London in 2008 and Attila wore a suit of overalls completely covered in rubbish: chip packets, old cans, papers etc. He was 'rubbish man' or something, and it was so stupid. What a ridiculous gimmick. It was when Attila was going through a phase of doing different images at different shows. I guess I caught a 'rubbish' one, if you'll pardon the pun. 

Still, I'm always open to bands redeeming themselves. Look at Cradle of Filth, Amorphis, and Paradise Lost and how they rescued their brands after abysmal periods in their histories. If there's one thing I've learnt in this crazy game called metal, it's that you should never write good bands off. 

On 7/18/2019 at 11:25 PM, Requiem said:

They're pretty good live, but I haven't found them great over the last 11 years.

I don't know if it's because I've seen them so many times before, and because I guess I'm a bit biased about line-ups, but the last couple of times that I saw them, including the 'De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas' show a year or two ago (with its Harry Potteresque set design, fake candles etc) left me cold.

It was so safe compared to the wild days when Blasphemer would chug out of a wine bottle and Maniac would stalk the stage like a... maniac. They just tour so much these days that each show is probably more a chore than anything else, whereas once it was a ritual, at least in my limited mind. And by the time they get around to Melbourne, they're well over it and looking at their watches... 

I think I first had my doubts about things when I saw Mayhem play live in London in 2008 and Attila wore a suit of overalls completely covered in rubbish: chip packets, old cans, papers etc. He was 'rubbish man' or something, and it was so stupid. What a ridiculous gimmick. It was when Attila was going through a phase of doing different images at different shows. I guess I caught a 'rubbish' one, if you'll pardon the pun. 

Still, I'm always open to bands redeeming themselves. Look at Cradle of Filth, Amorphis, and Paradise Lost and how they rescued their brands after abysmal periods in their histories. If there's one thing I've learnt in this crazy game called metal, it's that you should never write good bands off. 

They are sort of just living off of their history and reputation at this point.  They made it big, and should always be respected for that - so long as they maintain the same sincerity themselves.  I'm worried that instead of genuinely being extreme, they are just trying to look the part.

As a side note, I re-listened to Ordo ad Chao, and I must admit that I am starting to come around on the album.  The guitars are low and grumbling - just like Atilla's voice.  While I still enjoyed the two preceding albums more, it still sounds really solid and well-crafted.  It's a unified whole, not a collection of loosely-connected parts.

On 7/25/2019 at 1:49 AM, Balor said:

They are sort of just living off of their history and reputation at this point.  They made it big, and should always be respected for that - so long as they maintain the same sincerity themselves.  I'm worried that instead of genuinely being extreme, they are just trying to look the part.

As a side note, I re-listened to Ordo ad Chao, and I must admit that I am starting to come around on the album.  The guitars are low and grumbling - just like Atilla's voice.  While I still enjoyed the two preceding albums more, it still sounds really solid and well-crafted.  It's a unified whole, not a collection of loosely-connected parts.

Well, that album certainly has its fans. I'm actually wearing an 'Ordo ad Chao' shirt right now by pure happenstance. 

The thing about Mayhem for me (if it's not clear already - which I think it is...) is that they really had three great eras. 

1. 'Deathcrush' and beginnings

2. Dead and Euronymous

3. Maniac and Blasphemer

That's what really propels this band into my all time top 2. Most bands have one great moment/line-up, but in my view this band has had three and that really fascinates me. 

You're right, though, about the current situation and the idea that they're living off past glories, which was originally the point of this post. Without a true classic since... well, 2004, it's been 15 years since true excellence, at least in my book.

At the same time, interest in the band is still sky-high judging from how many people attended the show 'De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas' in Melbourne. I guess a lot of these 'legacy' bands are still doing huge trade today (Metallica, Iron Maiden) despite not having a great album in many years. 

On 7/25/2019 at 11:25 PM, Requiem said:

Well, that album certainly has its fans. I'm actually wearing an 'Ordo ad Chao' shirt right now by pure happenstance. 

The thing about Mayhem for me (if it's not clear already - which I think it is...) is that they really had three great eras. 

1. 'Deathcrush' and beginnings

2. Dead and Euronymous

3. Maniac and Blasphemer

That's what really propels this band into my all time top 2. Most bands have one great moment/line-up, but in my view this band has had three and that really fascinates me. 

You're right, though, about the current situation and the idea that they're living off past glories, which was originally the point of this post. Without a true classic since... well, 2004, it's been 15 years since true excellence, at least in my book.

At the same time, interest in the band is still sky-high judging from how many people attended the show 'De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas' in Melbourne. I guess a lot of these 'legacy' bands are still doing huge trade today (Metallica, Iron Maiden) despite not having a great album in many years. 

Good point about the three big periods of their history.  I completely agree.

As to no longer producing great music, I think that it is ok.  As long as they can still perform their classics well (and have not become total sellouts), they should be supported.

Requiem Reviews the Re-Release of 'Wolf's Lair Abyss'

Disappointing (not just because my epic Mayhem collection photo is now out of date) because I was all psyched for the re-release and thought it was going to be a great opportunity  for someone to produce a deluxe edition. Soulseller Records, in their wisdom, went a different direction. 

Let's compare the packaging and cover art to the original 1997 release. This version is significantly less impressive than the original epic release in digipak with that fold out inlay masterpiece that is 6 panels of hellish medieval imagery. The actual cover image of this version, with the wolf, is awesome though. Love it. It's tasteful and dark and a perfect take on the theme.  

Regarding the packaging, I expected maybe an interview or behind the scenes account of the EP's creation. Something of real interest. It's not like there is a shortage of potential - after all, it's the first recording since the death of Euronymous, so there must have been a certain degree or organisation, doubts, excitement and discussion in the studio that would be interesting to discover in a release like this. Even an account from one of the members to explain the circumstances around its production and release. There is nothing like that.

Instead we get lyrics in Maniac's hand, which are admittedly pretty cool, but so are the original if memory serves, and a couple of old photos of the band members. All in a flimsy 8 page booklet including front and back covers. I say flimsy because the paper feels cheap and thin. Looking at that awesome wolf cover online I almost expected it to be some sort of metallic/silver thing, thicker board or better paper stock. I thought, wow, this is going to be amazing. But no, it's cheap. 

There are two bonus tracks on the disk: 'Ancient Skin' and 'Necrolust' from, confusingly, a May 1997 recording, which is about the same time they recorded the EP. It appears that the bonus 'Ancient Skin' is a demo version, but the album came out in July of 97, so I don't know. At any rate, they're definitely cool and very welcome, and it's good to hear the Maniac/Blasphemer lineup plow through a demo version of 'Necrolust'. 

The good news is that the music still blows away 98% of late 1990s black metal pretenders. The songs are as savage and precise as they always were - perhaps more so. Hail Blasphemer, Maniac, Necro and Hellzy. 

Overall, as a re-release this is not as exciting as I'd hoped, but I like it ok. Now I need to take a new photo...

• 2 weeks later...

26 years ago today Euronymous was killed. 

Hail the true lord of the second wave. Skal. 

In other news, the Vltimas album with Blasphemer is brilliant, and I wish those riffs had have been used with Mayhem. They really put ‘Esoteric Warfare’ to shame. 

15 hours ago, Balor said:
Image may contain: 1 person, night

New album coming in late October!

In other news, Deathcruch turns 32 today!

I would have to say that 'Daemon' would be the album I'm most anticipating from all of Mayhem's output.

It could go either way. I have a feeling that it's going to be a lot closer to 'Esoteric Warfare' than they're making out.

At least the album cover is much better than 'Esoteric Warfare', which really didn't come out well at all despite being from flavour of the month Zbigniew Bielak, who has now done covers for Paradise Lost, Dimmu Borgir, Watain, Vltimas, Mayhem, which means basically every second album I buy has a bloody Bielak quirky thin lines drawing on the cover. Da fuck. Actually, @True Belief isn't a huge fan of the 'Daemon' artwork, but I'll excuse his oversight. 

So it will be interesting to see what old Teloch can do. I really hope there's some atmosphere on the album. What's with all this modern black metal without any atmosphere these days? I'd rather listen to Mgla a thousand times in a row than 'Esoteric Warfare'. 

Oh yeah, I was also a bit deflated when I heard the album title: 'Daemon'. I guess it's cool, having lived with it for a few days, but at first glance I thought it seemed a bit generic. It's hard to imagine Euronymous coming up with it...

So yeah, bring it on! Can't wait to hear 'Daemon'. 

And Hail 'Deathcrush'. 32 years young! What a beautiful piece of work. I would love for the band to bring Blasphemer back and get him to do a 'Deathcrush 2'. Just throw all that technical shit to the wind and go crazy. Fuck click tracks and triggers. Hail Satan. 

On 8/16/2019 at 11:38 PM, Requiem said:

I would have to say that 'Daemon' would be the album I'm most anticipating from all of Mayhem's output.

It could go either way. I have a feeling that it's going to be a lot closer to 'Esoteric Warfare' than they're making out.

At least the album cover is much better than 'Esoteric Warfare', which really didn't come out well at all despite being from flavour of the month Zbigniew Bielak, who has now done covers for Paradise Lost, Dimmu Borgir, Watain, Vltimas, Mayhem, which means basically every second album I buy has a bloody Bielak quirky thin lines drawing on the cover. Da fuck. Actually, @True Belief isn't a huge fan of the 'Daemon' artwork, but I'll excuse his oversight. 

So it will be interesting to see what old Teloch can do. I really hope there's some atmosphere on the album. What's with all this modern black metal without any atmosphere these days? I'd rather listen to Mgla a thousand times in a row than 'Esoteric Warfare'. 

Oh yeah, I was also a bit deflated when I heard the album title: 'Daemon'. I guess it's cool, having lived with it for a few days, but at first glance I thought it seemed a bit generic. It's hard to imagine Euronymous coming up with it...

So yeah, bring it on! Can't wait to hear 'Daemon'. 

And Hail 'Deathcrush'. 32 years young! What a beautiful piece of work. I would love for the band to bring Blasphemer back and get him to do a 'Deathcrush 2'. Just throw all that technical shit to the wind and go crazy. Fuck click tracks and triggers. Hail Satan. 

I am looking forward to listen to the album, and am really hoping that it will be better than Esoteric Warfare.  I think that the combination of the album art and title give it a very triumphant feel (the entire cover design, really), so I guess I would say that I like it.  I feel that Mayhem definitely wants to make a statement with this album (unlike the forgettable and relatively mundane covers of Ordo ad Chao or Esoteric Warfare which decrease my interest in them).

On 8/21/2019 at 2:57 AM, Balor said:

I am looking forward to listen to the album, and am really hoping that it will be better than Esoteric Warfare.  I think that the combination of the album art and title give it a very triumphant feel (the entire cover design, really), so I guess I would say that I like it.  I feel that Mayhem definitely wants to make a statement with this album (unlike the forgettable and relatively mundane covers of Ordo ad Chao or Esoteric Warfare which decrease my interest in them).

Good point about the covers. While I do think that 'Ordo ad Chao' is a pretty cool cover, you're correct about both of those being pretty forgettable. It will be interesting to see what the booklet and full package looks like. 

My only concern is that it's going to be a really sterile sound again. I guess I've kind of crapped on long enough about what I think, but I really do hope they have the courage to just hit that midrange warm-stench-of-fresh-dug-graves sound rather than sterile ('Esoteric') or swamped ('Ordo'). 

Then again, if the world did everything that I personally wanted it would be a terrible place, so perhaps it's best just to let things roll.

If bands only made the albums I wanted, and didn't surprise me, they'd still sound like the kindergarten songs I sang when I was 4. Maybe it's best to just let Mayhem create the album that Teloch wants. Fuck I hated typing that. 

8 hours ago, Requiem said:

Good point about the covers. While I do think that 'Ordo ad Chao' is a pretty cool cover, you're correct about both of those being pretty forgettable. It will be interesting to see what the booklet and full package looks like. 

My only concern is that it's going to be a really sterile sound again. I guess I've kind of crapped on long enough about what I think, but I really do hope they have the courage to just hit that midrange warm-stench-of-fresh-dug-graves sound rather than sterile ('Esoteric') or swamped ('Ordo'). 

Then again, if the world did everything that I personally wanted it would be a terrible place, so perhaps it's best just to let things roll.

If bands only made the albums I wanted, and didn't surprise me, they'd still sound like the kindergarten songs I sang when I was 4. Maybe it's best to just let Mayhem create the album that Teloch wants. Fuck I hated typing that. 

Based on the cover design, I am thinking that the booklet might be similar in design to Behemoth's most recent album -regal, semi-posed portraits of band members with a few additional paintings, and a nice font for the lyrics/notes.  Hopefully it will be less pretentious, though.

Mayhem sounds like they have shifted too much of their focus onto mindless technical riffing at the expense of simple/straightforward atmosphere.  De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas has extremely memorable, yet simple, riffs ("Freezing Moon," "De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas," etc.), which are much better than any of the far more technical riffs that they ever wrote afterwards (perhaps excluding Grand Declaration of War).

If Teloch feels driven to write riffs, they should probably just let him take the lead.  Perhaps with a little leeway he will surprise everyone.

14 hours ago, Balor said:

Based on the cover design, I am thinking that the booklet might be similar in design to Behemoth's most recent album -regal, semi-posed portraits of band members with a few additional paintings, and a nice font for the lyrics/notes.  Hopefully it will be less pretentious, though.

Mayhem sounds like they have shifted too much of their focus onto mindless technical riffing at the expense of simple/straightforward atmosphere.  De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas has extremely memorable, yet simple, riffs ("Freezing Moon," "De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas," etc.), which are much better than any of the far more technical riffs that they ever wrote afterwards (perhaps excluding Grand Declaration of War).

If Teloch feels driven to write riffs, they should probably just let him take the lead.  Perhaps with a little leeway he will surprise everyone.

It's sort of funny that Mayhem basically exists today in Blasphemer's vision rather than Euronymous's. Teloch carried on Blasphemer's legacy with 'Esoteric Warfare' for some reason and forgot about what Mayhem was supposed to be. 

That's what makes this new album so fascinating. Will Teloch bring channel Euronymous, Blasphemer, or go in a new Teloch led direction? Can't wait for that first track! 

On 8/23/2019 at 11:17 PM, Requiem said:

It's sort of funny that Mayhem basically exists today in Blasphemer's vision rather than Euronymous's. Teloch carried on Blasphemer's legacy with 'Esoteric Warfare' for some reason and forgot about what Mayhem was supposed to be. 

That's what makes this new album so fascinating. Will Teloch bring channel Euronymous, Blasphemer, or go in a new Teloch led direction? Can't wait for that first track! 

Hopefully he will take Mayhem in a purely Teloch direction.  That way, whether the album ends up good or bad, it will still be authentic.  If he tries to copy the style of another, I would not expect anything that great (though surprises are always possible).

Your comment reminds me of a video that I saw on youtube a while ago about the best bands that contain none of their original members.  A lot of people in the comments felt that a band containing no original members was nothing better than a glorified cover band, but I disagree.  I think any person added to a band by members already in it are just as meaningfully connected to the project as those who founded it.  It would be sort of cool if Mayhem just kept on existed and switching out members who choose to retire/stop playing with them.  They would be kind of like a living time capsule - an immortal part of bm that never ceases to play a role in the genre.

On 8/27/2019 at 3:16 AM, Balor said:

Hopefully he will take Mayhem in a purely Teloch direction.  That way, whether the album ends up good or bad, it will still be authentic.  If he tries to copy the style of another, I would not expect anything that great (though surprises are always possible).

Your comment reminds me of a video that I saw on youtube a while ago about the best bands that contain none of their original members.  A lot of people in the comments felt that a band containing no original members was nothing better than a glorified cover band, but I disagree.  I think any person added to a band by members already in it are just as meaningfully connected to the project as those who founded it.  It would be sort of cool if Mayhem just kept on existed and switching out members who choose to retire/stop playing with them.  They would be kind of like a living time capsule - an immortal part of bm that never ceases to play a role in the genre.

Gee, I don't know about this. 

Isn't the idea of a band a specific group of guys getting together with a particular goal in mind, and making it happen? If anything, I'm one of those chaps who thinks that bands who drastically change their sound, image and philosophy should probably change the band name. 

To me, a band is an entity that does something specific. Yes, I'm all for evolution and development to a certain extent, that's why I love Mayhem. But even some of my other favourite bands like Katatonia and Anathema are stretching the friendship with their 180 degree shifts (although their favourite albums for me are far from their original blueprints, go figure). 

That's why Mayhem are a tricky one for me. They were lucky to get away with having Blasphemer in the band to create some great music, but a part of me does still sort of think that it all should have died with Euronymous. I'm obviously a huge fan of the Maniac/Blasphemer years though, so I came to peace with that concept. It rules and was a great second chapter. A sequel that could never live up to the original, but still worthy. 

Now we have Godfather Part III. Now that Teloch's here I'm feeling even weirder about it all. He's the third generation of Mayhem songwriters and we're getting a long way away from the original blueprint, even with Necro and Hellsy banging away in the background. 

8 hours ago, Requiem said:

Gee, I don't know about this. 

Isn't the idea of a band a specific group of guys getting together with a particular goal in mind, and making it happen? If anything, I'm one of those chaps who thinks that bands who drastically change their sound, image and philosophy should probably change the band name. 

To me, a band is an entity that does something specific. Yes, I'm all for evolution and development to a certain extent, that's why I love Mayhem. But even some of my other favourite bands like Katatonia and Anathema are stretching the friendship with their 180 degree shifts (although their favourite albums for me are far from their original blueprints, go figure). 

That's why Mayhem are a tricky one for me. They were lucky to get away with having Blasphemer in the band to create some great music, but a part of me does still sort of think that it all should have died with Euronymous. I'm obviously a huge fan of the Maniac/Blasphemer years though, so I came to peace with that concept. It rules and was a great second chapter. A sequel that could never live up to the original, but still worthy. 

Now we have Godfather Part III. Now that Teloch's here I'm feeling even weirder about it all. He's the third generation of Mayhem songwriters and we're getting a long way away from the original blueprint, even with Necro and Hellsy banging away in the background. 

I think there is a difference, though, between gradual evolution over time and drastic changes in a band's sound.  Depending on which approach a band takes as its lineup changes would determine whether I could accept them as the band they claim to still be.  It has always been a debate for me whether it would be better for a band/musician to have many side projects that each explore a different, well-defined idea (such as Mikko Aspa with Clandestine Blaze [bm], Grunt [power electronics], Stabat Mater [funeral doom], etc.; or Drudkh/Hate Forest/Windswept) or to have only a single band that changes along with the interests of the musicians behind it (like Boris, Burzum, Ramleh, etc.).

At least Mayhem was able to nicely divide their history into three distinct histories.  I always found it strange that the original members never seemed to take a more prominent role in the songwriting process.   You would think that Necrobutcher or Hellhammer would keep the band at least partially tied down to their roots, but apparently they were not interested in doing so.  The real test for Mayhem would be to see what happens when one of them finally takes their leave.

7 hours ago, Balor said:

Mayhem just released the promo track for the new album!

I was pleasantly surprised by the mostly clean vocals, and Teloch's riffs blend well with Atilla's voice.  The drums sound great too.  Overall, I have high hopes for this album,

That is rather good. Personally I'm surprised, I was wary when this album was announced, thinking it might have too much hype and not be able to live up to it. Pleasantly surprised to find that this also gives me hope for the album.

On 9/1/2019 at 5:10 PM, Nephilim said:

That is rather good. Personally I'm surprised, I was wary when this album was announced, thinking it might have too much hype and not be able to live up to it. Pleasantly surprised to find that this also gives me hope for the album.

I was happily surprised by it too.  I guess we will have to wait for the full release before any final thoughts, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys, I just found out that Mayhem had an obscure concert in 1990 called "Live in Gleisdorf" which is available as a bootleg and apparently yet another pretty mysterious chapter of Mayhems history. Gleisdorf is a small town in South-Eastern Austria, and guess who lives there: Me!

I just found out and found a torrent DL to the bootleg which I am definitely going to check out. I also found a pic which is supposedly from this concert and I have to say, it looks a lot like one of the 2 music venues we have here.

Being the autist I am when it comes to nerdy facts and loving mysterious things, paired with my hunger to find out stuff I really want to find out when this concert was, where it was (as in in which venue), the setlist (bootleg?) and if the concert even existed as close to nothing is known about it.

Why am I posting this? I probably need help. I can imagine some more people are interested in this, merely because it is Mayhem, the band with the infamous history, more facts are more facts about the band we love right? Being a local at the town this whole mystery plays in makes me even more pumped to be investigating this, so if anyone has ideas as to what or where I can look for leads and hints, I would highly appreciate it.

My first instinct was to ask some metalhead that could have attended the concert. I know there is a scene in Gleisdorf and it's surroundings, even older ones then me with my 20 years, but I mainly have contact to the younger generation. The oldest black metaller I sometimes see walking his dog is probably 28. If this concert was in 1990 and person x I am looking for was, lets say, 18 at the time, he would be 36 now. I don't know a metalhead that age here.
I could try ask that weird, probably mentally retarted old guy I sometimes see at festivals if he knows anything, but meeting him can take a while. I even met him at a concert in Gleisdorf once, but as I don't really know him I have no means of contacting him to ask questions.

I honestly want to solve the mystery of this concert, this is going to keep me awake for a while. If anyone has any ideas where I could look for information, I would highly appreciate it. Maybe I can ask my parents if they know about a certain controversial band that played, but it has been such a long time and they don't like metal, so I doubt they remember. Though, there was probably something about it in the media, but I could also be wrong. Fuck, not knowing this is getting on my nerves.

I've found "lost" media before, so I know it can take a while. It was all digital though. Finding out something like that with "real" things seems fun. Let's see if I can get anything.

Thanks.

Edit: Step 1 of this "operation" would be to find a DL of the bootleg and see if I can hear our local slang to verify it is from here. If it is, it is probably legit and this concert existed, if not I probably still try to find out whether it was real or not with the information I can gather.

3 hours ago, Necturion said:

Ok guys, I just found out that Mayhem had an obscure concert in 1990 called "Live in Gleisdorf" which is available as a bootleg and apparently yet another pretty mysterious chapter of Mayhems history. Gleisdorf is a small town in South-Eastern Austria, and guess who lives there: Me!

I just found out and found a torrent DL to the bootleg which I am definitely going to check out. I also found a pic which is supposedly from this concert and I have to say, it looks a lot like one of the 2 music venues we have here.

Being the autist I am when it comes to nerdy facts and loving mysterious things, paired with my hunger to find out stuff I really want to find out when this concert was, where it was (as in in which venue), the setlist (bootleg?) and if the concert even existed as close to nothing is known about it.

Why am I posting this? I probably need help. I can imagine some more people are interested in this, merely because it is Mayhem, the band with the infamous history, more facts are more facts about the band we love right? Being a local at the town this whole mystery plays in makes me even more pumped to be investigating this, so if anyone has ideas as to what or where I can look for leads and hints, I would highly appreciate it.

My first instinct was to ask some metalhead that could have attended the concert. I know there is a scene in Gleisdorf and it's surroundings, even older ones then me with my 20 years, but I mainly have contact to the younger generation. The oldest black metaller I sometimes see walking his dog is probably 28. If this concert was in 1990 and person x I am looking for was, lets say, 18 at the time, he would be 36 now. I don't know a metalhead that age here.
I could try ask that weird, probably mentally retarted old guy I sometimes see at festivals if he knows anything, but meeting him can take a while. I even met him at a concert in Gleisdorf once, but as I don't really know him I have no means of contacting him to ask questions.

I honestly want to solve the mystery of this concert, this is going to keep me awake for a while. If anyone has any ideas where I could look for information, I would highly appreciate it. Maybe I can ask my parents if they know about a certain controversial band that played, but it has been such a long time and they don't like metal, so I doubt they remember. Though, there was probably something about it in the media, but I could also be wrong. Fuck, not knowing this is getting on my nerves.

I've found "lost" media before, so I know it can take a while. It was all digital though. Finding out something like that with "real" things seems fun. Let's see if I can get anything.

Thanks.

Edit: Step 1 of this "operation" would be to find a DL of the bootleg and see if I can hear our local slang to verify it is from here. If it is, it is probably legit and this concert existed, if not I probably still try to find out whether it was real or not with the information I can gather.

From what I could find, the recording is probably a repackaging of "Live in Zeitz."  When I looked it up, I kept being directed to this video, which, according to the comments (though no longer in the description) had apparently claimed to be a recording of the "Live in Gleisdorf."   However, if you listen to it side by side with "Live in Zeitz," it becomes obvious that they are both the same recording.

"Live in Zeitz" (listen to first track)

I also came across several people online claiming that Mayhem never played in Gleisdorf in the first place.  @Requiem might be able to shed additional light on this matter.

@BalorI also can't really believe they did. It's weird however that this rumour exists and I am interested where it originated from. It's weird that someone would come up with it as this town is fairly unknown, especially in the global scale of things. I know or rather have heard there was a pretty infamous black metal scene among the locals back in the day though.

I did not spend the night at my place so I did not have the opportunity to check out the recordings I found. I got redirected to this video and I was sceptical because it said live in gleisdorf at the thumbnail in google but not on youtube.

8 hours ago, Necturion said:

@BalorI also can't really believe they did. It's weird however that this rumour exists and I am interested where it originated from. It's weird that someone would come up with it as this town is fairly unknown, especially in the global scale of things. I know or rather have heard there was a pretty infamous black metal scene among the locals back in the day though.

I did not spend the night at my place so I did not have the opportunity to check out the recordings I found. I got redirected to this video and I was sceptical because it said live in gleisdorf at the thumbnail in google but not on youtube.

I would listen to the files of what claim to be the "Live in Gleisdorf" album myself, but I am sort of afraid to download obscure bootlegs from the internet.  Try to listen to it side by side with some of their other live albums and the single track that claims to be from it to see how they compare.  I would be interested in putting this rumor to rest also.