When Did You First Get Into Metal?

916kaden

On 10/29/2021 at 8:01 PM, Sterre said:

When I was about 14 I started listening to Within Temptation, Epica and Bullet for my Valentine because I started hanging out with people that listened to these bands. Later I found out that metal is much broader than just this and now I especially like black metal and doom!

Good choice with black metal and doom.  What black and doom bands do you like? 

On 10/26/2021 at 5:42 AM, KillaKukumba said:

As opposed to Alvin and the chipmunk vocals when you used to be able to record tape to tape with high speed dubbing? :)

That sounds almost as bad as the bee gees imo. 😁I'm too young to remember that☺️

On 10/26/2021 at 5:42 AM, KillaKukumba said:

As opposed to Alvin and the chipmunk vocals when you used to be able to record tape to tape with high speed dubbing? :)

That sounds almost as bad as the bee gees imo. 😁I'm too young to remember that☺️

16 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Good choice with black metal and doom.  What black and doom bands do you like?

I listen to mostly Dutch black and doom bands (Wiegedood, Amenra, Oathbreaker, Vuur & Zijde, Laster), but I also really like Behemoth, Gorgoroth, Katatonia, Paradise Lost... 

Too much to list!

Any recommendations?

3 hours ago, Sterre said:

Any recommendations?

There's a solo project by Matt St. Ours called Nupraptor that did a pretty good album called "The Heresiarch". I used to own it but I traded it to a guy for a blue copy of Earth Crisis "Destroy the Machines" that was new in the shrinkwrap. Kind of wish I still had it, because it was black vinyl with like multicolor splatter radiating out from the center and was a solid album. He has another called "The Beauty of Misery" that I haven't checked out yet because for some reason Hells Headbangers doesn't seem to have it, but if it's anything like the first album, it's probably pretty good.

3 minutes ago, NokturnalBoredom said:

There's a solo project by Matt St. Ours called Nupraptor that did a pretty good album called "The Heresiarch". I used to own it but I traded it to a guy for a blue copy of Earth Crisis "Destroy the Machines" that was new in the shrinkwrap. Kind of wish I still had it, because it was black vinyl with like multicolor splatter radiating out from the center and was a solid album. He has another called "The Beauty of Misery" that I haven't checked out yet because for some reason Hells Headbangers doesn't seem to have it, but if it's anything like the first album, it's probably pretty good.

Thanks! I'm going to check it out! I'll let you know:) 

Maybe you'll like the Dutch bands I mentioned! 

On 11/1/2021 at 3:36 PM, Sterre said:

I listen to mostly Dutch black and doom bands (Wiegedood, Amenra, Oathbreaker, Vuur & Zijde, Laster), but I also really like Behemoth, Gorgoroth, Katatonia, Paradise Lost... 

Too much to list!

Any recommendations?

Not heard of the dutch bands you mention. Cool will have to look those up. 👍

I'd recommend officium triste release called death of Gaia. There death/doom melodic music. Very catchy. Been going along time. There Dutch you may have heard of them. 

Noctu(atmospheric blackened doom)  release called gelidae mortis imago is worth a listen plus features mournful congregation Justin hartwig for a track. It's very good listen imo

Out of interest which is best katatonia album for new listeners. I've heard there name for years but not listened to anything. 

12 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Out of interest which is best katatonia album for new listeners. I've heard there name for years but not listened to anything.

Well Katatonia has changed so much during their 30 year career, so YMWV depending on what style you gravitate towards.

They started out as a gothic black metal band with Jhva Elohim Meth and Dance of december souls. Quite raw and unpolished, but with an eye for melancholy.

Gateways of Bereavement

Then they found that they could combine monotone riffings with growls and cleans on Brave Murder Day (growls by Mike Åkerfeldt of Opeth) to great effect.

Brave

After that they became something closer to what we have today on Today's Decision and Last Fair Deal Gone Down, with exclusively clean vocals from Jonas Renkse and tons of gloomy, melancholic leads. Probably my favorite phase, with Viva Emptiness as the crowning glory of an album.

Ghost of the Sun

Then they had a period where they simply perfected thier formula with Night is the New Day and The Great Cold Distance. This is my least favourite phase, because they started experimenting with heavier, downtuned guitars and what I can only describe as "modern" djenty riffs.

Day and Then The Shade

Finally they found a right balance between modern sounds and their classic gothic metal sound on Dead End Kings and forward.

The Winter of Our Passing

16 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Not heard of the dutch bands you mention. Cool will have to look those up. 👍

I'd recommend officium triste release called death of Gaia. There death/doom melodic music. Very catchy. Been going along time. There Dutch you may have heard of them. 

Noctu(atmospheric blackened doom)  release called gelidae mortis imago is worth a listen plus features mournful congregation Justin hartwig for a track. It's very good listen imo

I know Death of Gaia, I actually like them a lot! I'm gonna listen to Noctu, very curious:)

On 11/5/2021 at 9:56 AM, Sheol said:

Well Katatonia has changed so much during their 30 year career, so YMWV depending on what style you gravitate towards.

They started out as a gothic black metal band with Jhva Elohim Meth and Dance of december souls. Quite raw and unpolished, but with an eye for melancholy.

Gateways of Bereavement

Then they found that they could combine monotone riffings with growls and cleans on Brave Murder Day (growls by Mike Åkerfeldt of Opeth) to great effect.

Brave

After that they became something closer to what we have today on Today's Decision and Last Fair Deal Gone Down, with exclusively clean vocals from Jonas Renkse and tons of gloomy, melancholic leads. Probably my favorite phase, with Viva Emptiness as the crowning glory of an album.

Ghost of the Sun

Then they had a period where they simply perfected thier formula with Night is the New Day and The Great Cold Distance. This is my least favourite phase, because they started experimenting with heavier, downtuned guitars and what I can only describe as "modern" djenty riffs.

Day and Then The Shade

Finally they found a right balance between modern sounds and their classic gothic metal sound on Dead End Kings and forward.

The Winter of Our Passing

Thanks for this Sheol.Very comprehensive and well thought out response.  First period is my favourite.Now I know what to get 👍 I assume your a big fan. Have you seen them live?

On 11/5/2021 at 1:53 PM, Sterre said:

I know Death of Gaia, I actually like them a lot! I'm gonna listen to Noctu, very curious:)

I'm impressed you like officium tristes Death of gaia album. I really should listen to some of there other stuff

Did you listen to noctu sterre. What do you think. The moonlight sonata sounding bit was unexpected for me at least. Maybe not your thing. 

I really like the slow burn and how the album is constructed. I actually also listen to quite a bit of classical music (even opera) and Moonlight Sonata was my favorite classical pieces when I was young, so I liked it! Noctu is really creative. 

What did you think of the Dutch bands? They're not as rough/heavy as many other bands, but I do like them and their shows. 

9 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

I'm impressed you like officium tristes Death of gaia album. I really should listen to some of there other stuff

Did you listen to noctu sterre. What do you think. The moonlight sonata sounding bit was unexpected for me at least. Maybe not your thing. 

I really like the slow burn and how the album is constructed. I actually also listen to quite a bit of classical music (even opera) and Moonlight Sonata was my favorite classical pieces when I was young, so I liked it! Noctu is really creative. 

What did you think of the Dutch bands? They're not as rough/heavy as many other bands, but I do like them and their shows. 

15 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Thanks for this Sheol.Very comprehensive and well thought out response.  First period is my favourite.Now I know what to get 👍 I assume your a big fan. Have you seen them live?

Haha no I actually haven't seen them live ever. They were supposed to play at a local festival a couple of years ago but pulled out to go on a tour or something. Am disappoint.

Katatonia is hit and miss live, but when they're on, they're amazing (if you like their newer stuff). I've seen them a few times, at least twice with Opeth - great shows all around. First time I saw them was their first US tour and they didn't have the kinks worked out, pretty bad tbh, but every time since has been better. I don't know how they sound live with the new lineup.

@blaaacdoommmmfan if you like the old stuff, make sure you check out October Tide's first two albums - Jonas and Fredrik from Katatonia playing stuff along the lines of their older style. "Rain Without End" is my favorite. Also don't miss the Katatonia EP "Sounds Of Decay", three other great tracks similar to their sound on Brave Murder Day, including Åkerfeldt on vocals.

On 11/9/2021 at 9:29 AM, Sterre said:

Sterre I'm pleasantly surprised you like the noctu album as imo it's bit stop start and bit of a niche album. Has tons of atmosphere though. Yeah fantastic you liked the moonlight sonata bit that was added in. Cool.

Very cultured listening to classical music. I almost went to a opera once. The music was ace. It was by a Czech composer. In the end my wife talked me out of it. I had to choose between a metal gig and the opera. 

AmenRa is cool  definitely. Very atmospheric 👍AmenRa IV ive heard so far.  Vocals work very well in places.  Oathbreaker are talented for sure. They remind me of a much heavier Chelsea Wolfe although her latest with converge might also be just as heavy.

Slows album called dantalion is worth a listen apparently they tried to make a doom metal album inspired by classical music. Last track is worth hearing at least imo 

14 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Sterre I'm pleasantly surprised you like the noctu album as imo it's bit stop start and bit of a niche album. Has tons of atmosphere though. Yeah fantastic you liked the moonlight sonata bit that was added in. Cool.

Very cultured listening to classical music. I almost went to a opera once. The music was ace. It was by a Czech composer. In the end my wife talked me out of it. I had to choose between a metal gig and the opera. 

AmenRa is cool  definitely. Very atmospheric 👍AmenRa IV ive heard so far.  Vocals work very well in places.  Oathbreaker are talented for sure. They remind me of a much heavier Chelsea Wolfe although her latest with converge might also be just as heavy.

Slows album called dantalion is worth a listen apparently they tried to make a doom metal album inspired by classical music. Last track is worth hearing at least imo 

I went to a few operas, such as La Traviata, Die Dreigroschenoper, Carmina Burana and Carmen and I liked it! I also always say that metal and classical music aren't that far apart...

Cool that you liked AmenRa, if you want to dig deeper, then you can check out Wiegedood too. There are a few members of AmenRa that also play in that band (black metal instead of doom). 

I like atmospheric music, I also listen to lo fi music, a very atmospheric kind of music (if you are interested: check out "nuages - dreams") and atmospheric instrumental post-rock, such as If These Trees Could Talk and God is an Astronaut. 

I'm gonna check out Slow - Dantalion! Thanks for all the recommendations, I really appreciate it. 

On 11/9/2021 at 4:36 PM, FatherAlabaster said:

Katatonia is hit and miss live, but when they're on, they're amazing (if you like their newer stuff). I've seen them a few times, at least twice with Opeth - great shows all around. First time I saw them was their first US tour and they didn't have the kinks worked out, pretty bad tbh, but every time since has been better. I don't know how they sound live with the new lineup.

@blaaacdoommmmfan if you like the old stuff, make sure you check out October Tide's first two albums - Jonas and Fredrik from Katatonia playing stuff along the lines of their older style. "Rain Without End" is my favorite. Also don't miss the Katatonia EP "Sounds Of Decay", three other great tracks similar to their sound on Brave Murder Day, including Åkerfeldt on vocals.

Fa thanks for the info. Much appreciated. Will check that music out.   Akerfeldt was fantastic imo when he used to growl all those years ago so getting some more  of that  will be good😁 

That's good to know that katatonia are a good live band.its cool you've seen them a few times and you were not put off by the first show. 

On 11/15/2021 at 12:45 AM, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Just wanted to say that this album is mindblowing. I really liked it! Belgian band:) 

On 11/15/2021 at 2:34 PM, Sterre said:

I went to a few operas, such as La Traviata, Die Dreigroschenoper, Carmina Burana and Carmen and I liked it! I also always say that metal and classical music aren't that far apart...

Cool that you liked AmenRa, if you want to dig deeper, then you can check out Wiegedood too. There are a few members of AmenRa that also play in that band (black metal instead of doom). 

I like atmospheric music, I also listen to lo fi music, a very atmospheric kind of music (if you are interested: check out "nuages - dreams") and atmospheric instrumental post-rock, such as If These Trees Could Talk and God is an Astronaut. 

I'm gonna check out Slow - Dantalion! Thanks for all the recommendations, I really appreciate it. 

Sterre finally got back to this message. Thanks for recommending those. Will check those out bands out from the amenRa stuff you mentioned 

Yeah youve been to a few operas then. Cool. I've heard of Carmen.   Interesting what you say about metal and opera sharing stuff in common. Maybe it's because some metal has folk music as inspiration like black metal for sure and some classical music is also inspired by folk music. 

Lo fi music is new to me. Worth a search though of ones you mentioned. Post rock. I've heard of this. There's a resident of the town I'm from who does this music from Berlin now. One of his albums is fantastic. He's called Tom Adams. Music st  Done in that siegur ros style. Who are post rock bands you like 

On 11/9/2021 at 2:27 PM, Sheol said:

Haha no I actually haven't seen them live ever. They were supposed to play at a local festival a couple of years ago but pulled out to go on a tour or something. Am disappoint.

Sheol im surprised you've not seen them. Maybe in the future. You got very close  though. Pulling out so late. Katatonia why😣

14 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Sheol im surprised you've not seen them. Maybe in the future. You got very close  though. Pulling out so late. Katatonia why😣

Well I live in northern Sweden so there's very few bigger bands playing here. It always takes a festival or something to bring them here, and it's usually hard to prioritize a trip to Stockholm or such when you have job, family, etc.

22 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Yeah slow are a Belgian band. From Mons. It's quite cool music. Glad you liked it. That's my go to music after a hard day. What was your best track was it last one

I liked Incendiaire most. It is the second last track. 

21 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Sterre finally got back to this message. Thanks for recommending those. Will check those out bands out from the amenRa stuff you mentioned 

Yeah youve been to a few operas then. Cool. I've heard of Carmen.   Interesting what you say about metal and opera sharing stuff in common. Maybe it's because some metal has folk music as inspiration like black metal for sure and some classical music is also inspired by folk music. 

Lo fi music is new to me. Worth a search though of ones you mentioned. Post rock. I've heard of this. There's a resident of the town I'm from who does this music from Berlin now. One of his albums is fantastic. He's called Tom Adams. Music st  Done in that siegur ros style. Who are post rock bands you like 

Well symphonic metal uses a lot of the same elements as classical music, such as choirs, cello's, standing basses, violins etcetera. The tritone (a musical dissonant interval consisting of three whole steps) is also used quite a bit in classical music as well as metal and there a a lot of metal guitarists that were influenced by classical music, such as Yngwie Malmsteen, Marty Friedman, Jason Becker and Eddy Van Halen. 

But enough of my music lesson ;) 

Lo Fi and post rock also share some stuff in common, both like to play with musical sound scapes and both genres want to focus on the vibe/atmosphere. You can look up If These Trees Could Talk (postrock) and God is an Astronaut (postrock) Bark Psychosis and Caspian. 

Let me know what you think! And if you can think of more artists like Slow, I will be grateful!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2021 at 7:38 PM, Sterre said:

I liked Incendiaire most. It is the second last track. 

Well symphonic metal uses a lot of the same elements as classical music, such as choirs, cello's, standing basses, violins etcetera. The tritone (a musical dissonant interval consisting of three whole steps) is also used quite a bit in classical music as well as metal and there a a lot of metal guitarists that were influenced by classical music, such as Yngwie Malmsteen, Marty Friedman, Jason Becker and Eddy Van Halen. 

But enough of my music lesson ;) 

Lo Fi and post rock also share some stuff in common, both like to play with musical sound scapes and both genres want to focus on the vibe/atmosphere. You can look up If These Trees Could Talk (postrock) and God is an Astronaut (postrock) Bark Psychosis and Caspian. 

Let me know what you think! And if you can think of more artists like Slow, I will be grateful!

Your right Jason Becker was I've read inspired by paganini.think I got name right.  I will take your word about the others. Alex from children of bodom used to warm up playing Mozart. What a player he was. I love his live playing.  

Will look up the bands you mentioned thanks for that and I will let you know if I like them. Interesting names. 

High the memory by abyssic is cool. Death/doom with big orchestra bits. It's long but I like it. Also et moriemur album called epigrammata is very excellent. Gregorian chanting, choirs, cellos and other orchestral instruments meet death/ blackened doom in rather an amazing album. Both are on bandcamp. Both have cool artwork too

Cool. You like track  6 best from slows album. Incendaire. I like track 6 too alot👏👏👏. Good choice  track 7 is rather good imo. And as closer I like it alot