When Did You First Get Into Metal?

916kaden

Re: what got you listening to metal? Back in '83 I was 11 and listening to the first wave of rap/hip-hop, but a lot of those songs had heavy guitar and other industrial type sounds on them, and I found that more and more often I was just listening for the heavy parts, so I chose to start hanging out with some metal-heads and started copying their record collections. Within the next year I went from being into hip-hop, to being into thrash and death metal, my favourite bands at that time being Metallica, Celtic Frost and Anthrax. Then I got into the rest of what I listen to, my current favourites being anything that Pepper Keenan is involved in.

• 1 month later...

Re: what got you listening to metal? I started out listening to blues, which led on to red hot chilli peppers and kaiser cheifs, which led me onto classic rock and metal like ac/dc, iron maiden, g'n'r and metallica, i then played guitar hero, and got into Dragonforce(yes thats right, dragonforce :P) which led me to buying my first ever copy of metalhammer, because it had a CD which had dragonforce-heros of our time on it, i put the CD in and the first track was slipknot-all hope is gone, it also had evile-thrasher and motorhead-rock out, this CD is effectively what got me into metal, i listened to my small collection of 'not-so-heavy-but-heavy-to-my-ears-at-the-time' metal, until i decided i wanted to listen to some new bands, i looked through metalhammer for band names, and found something about amon amarth, so i serched on youtube for 'twilight of the thunder god' and i thought ODINS CURLY BEARD THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!! in the years since i have expanded my musical collection to every subgenre of metal known to man(or viking) and have a CD collection of over 500 CD's, and counting, tah daaaahh!

Re: what got you listening to metal? I was nine or ten years old the night my dad brought home "The Song Remains The Same" DVD from blockbuster. I've never been the same since. As far as metal, I actually used to really not like it at all. Then I finally got warmed up to (sigh) bulletformyvalentine (dodges thrown objects). But then once I got bored of them, I started looking for heavier stuff, and I found Testament and Sodom. You should've heard me the next morning. I had this friend that I used to listen to BFMV with all the time, and the moment we saw each other I practically screamed "DUDE, THERE'S THIS BAND FROM GERMANY CALLED SODOM, AND THEY'RE FASTER AND HEAVIER THAN SHIT!!!" That kid now thinks I'm crazy because of my music tastes. haha. But honestly, in my search for metal, for a long time I'd never had anybody reccomend me a band in person. I've pretty much always done my own research.

Re: what got you listening to metal?

my journey through metal was pretty much exactly the same as yours :) except i went a little bit further and started listening to Death Metal and eventually Technical Death Metal and Progressive Death Metal :)
Mine was almost the opposite. When I started out I very much wanted only clean vocals and rhythms I could understand, so I started with Threshold and HammerFall. Later on I was able to put up with harsher vocals like those of Firewind, and eventually progressed to Nevermore and Symphony X. At the time I figured I liked brutal death growling but nothing else, so I listened to Svartsot. Later, my threshold expanded and I started listening to Dark Tranquillity and Immortal Souls. Then, when I started learning guitar I finally got into tech death big time. I still like the other stuff but I can appreciate all of this music so much more now that I properly understand it.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: what got you listening to metal? Friend on another forum (acop knows it) linked a track in the "Gettysburg" trilogy by Iced Earth in a "What are you listening to right now?" thread. I listened and realized that metal wasn't all bad like the masses would have you believe, and gradually my tastes in metal have grown to the point where I know know more bands than even the majority of the metalheads around me.

Re: what got you listening to metal? I thought i had posted in this thread allready o.o Oh well, I listened to Sabbath, Zeppelin and Purple with my father when i was a little boy. At about 8, i found bands like AC/DC And G'n'r. At around 10-11 i found Metallica, Leading me to Pantera at 12, and Leading me to Lamb of God at 14, And then it went heavier and heavier, until now, when i'm venturing in to other music genres. Still listening to Metal, but expanding my knowledge into Rock, Classical, Jazz and Blues. :3

Re: what got you listening to metal? To be honest, I didn't listen to any specific type of music until the seventh grade. Then my dad got me in to bands like AC/DC, Metallica, Bon Jovi, Led Zeppelin and Pantera. I've listened to metal every day since. Of course now I am a bit older and my music style has changed a little. I now listen to bands like Symphony X, Lamb of God, Periphery, Tesseract, Dimmu Borgir, Meshuggah and Trivium. Anyways that's my story! :)

• 1 year later...