Jump to content

Horror Films


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cronenburg's The Fly is awesome. The guy is the king of body horror and The Fly has some really great practical effects (think The Thing). Plus, it's very entertaining.   I recently rewatche

Some fine horror films listed here indeed. Hmm what would my list look like? Let's have a crack   1. The Exorcist 2. The Ring 3. The Silence Of The Lambs 4. The Blair Witch Pr

I watched remake version, but I'm not sure it's so great. Maybe I'm wrong, haven't seen it for a while. Also, I've seen 'The Last House on the Left', probably like six years ago. Liked it, but later I

18 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

innominate are you looking forward to George Romero's final film being released. twilight of the dead.  obviously it will be different as he cant direct for obvious reasons and the script was not fully finished by him. his wife is overseeing and approving the script which is done now. it will be different but im looking forward to it. ill see it without paying attention to reviews.  🥊😁 could be risky but romero zombie films are nearly always really good. 

I'm way out of the loop; I haven't heard of it until now. I'll probably check it out though, thanks. Hopefully they do it justice.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Natassja said:

I've only just heard about the film ' A Field in England', don't know how that one managed to pass me by. Looks really interesting. The tent scene looks so bizarre. Can't wait to see it in full.

Watched the trailer and that felt really really strange.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2021 at 8:34 AM, Sheol said:

Cronenburg's The Fly is awesome. The guy is the king of body horror and The Fly has some really great practical effects (think The Thing). Plus, it's very entertaining.

 

I recently rewatched exZistenz and while mainly a mainstream thriller, there was some nice uncomfortable effects, especially the organic game pods. But my favourite Cronenburg film is definitely Videodrome.

sheol. think its time i watched the fly. entertaining and effects like the thing. sounds 👍very good to me.

i saw existenz recently again after along time of not seeing it.  i thought ending was interesting and well done. 

sheol what is it you like about videodrome? you said its your favourite cronenberg film. 

On 5/5/2021 at 5:34 PM, Innominate said:

I'm way out of the loop; I haven't heard of it until now. I'll probably check it out though, thanks. Hopefully they do it justice.

im thinking because georges wife is supervisor for overall direction it stands better chance of being good.  out of interest which other director does good zombie films? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

sheol what is it you like about videodrome? you said its your favourite cronenberg film. 

 

I think it's the fact that it's got great, unsettling effects. A interesting, very surreal premise, and the story doesn't feel dated. The issues of violence as entertainment, pushing boundaries and people compromising their humanity in order to fight an increasing desensitization are just as relevant today as in the 80's. Plus I love the very claustrophobic and paranoid mood throughout the film.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2021 at 5:34 PM, Innominate said:

I'm way out of the loop; I haven't heard of it until now. I'll probably check it out though, thanks. Hopefully they do it justice.

innominate you probably heard about the George romero lost film called amusement park. you can only get it on horror streaming channel shudder. looks good. down side is i have to sign up to shudder. film looks good from trailers ive seen. apparently lutherian church funded it in 1973 to highlight general bad treatment of elderly people. apparently they was so shocked when they saw movie they pulled there fuding and project  collapsed. some say its scariest movie  Romero did. interesting film

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

innominate you probably heard about the George romero lost film called amusement park. you can only get it on horror streaming channel shudder. looks good. down side is i have to sign up to shudder. film looks good from trailers ive seen. apparently lutherian church funded it in 1973 to highlight general bad treatment of elderly people. apparently they was so shocked when they saw movie they pulled there fuding and project  collapsed. some say its scariest movie  Romero did. interesting film

Holy shit, that does looks good. A lost Romero film from '73... Thanks for telling me about it. Shudder ain't bad though. I had some playback/buffering issues on my laptop with it, but it did well on Roku. And you get access to a lot of movies and documentaries. Sometimes the selection kind of bites, but they update it often with new and different stuff that keeps it interesting.

 

18 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

im thinking because georges wife is supervisor for overall direction it stands better chance of being good.  out of interest which other director does good zombie films? 

 

It does bode well for the movie. Not sure about directors, but there are a few movies I like, but I'll have to think about it more. I'm partial to 28 Days Later. Then stuff like Dead Alive and Return of the Living Dead... Fulci's Zombie is excellent if you like schlocky stuff (zombies look great though). Then The Serpent and The Rainbow, which is a great Wes Craven film that's more focused on voodoo zombies. Old stuff too like The Last Man on Earth with Vincent Price... although they were technically vampires, but still the living dead. And @Natassja recommended the Rec series before, if you've seen those.

Link to post
Share on other sites

28 days later was great, 28 weeks later was shite though. I think REC if one of the scariest films I've seen, just make sure you watch the Spanish original and not the American remake. The last 30 min was intense! Also, Train to Busan is amazing! A Korean zombie movie with a lot of heart and horror. Some scenes are just heartbreaking, in a good way!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2021 at 4:29 PM, Natassja said:

I've only just heard about the film ' A Field in England', don't know how that one managed to pass me by. Looks really interesting. The tent scene looks so bizarre. Can't wait to see it in full.

I’ve not seen this since it was released, it was screened simultaneously in cinemas and on Film4 in the UK (without ad breaks IIRC), it’s worth a watch if you like Ben Wheatley films.

13 hours ago, Sheol said:

Also, Train to Busan is amazing! A Korean zombie movie with a lot of heart and horror. Some scenes are just heartbreaking, in a good way!

One of the best Zombie films I’ve seen in recent years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2021 at 10:02 AM, Sheol said:

I think it's the fact that it's got great, unsettling effects. A interesting, very surreal premise, and the story doesn't feel dated. The issues of violence as entertainment, pushing boundaries and people compromising their humanity in order to fight an increasing desensitization are just as relevant today as in the 80's. Plus I love the very claustrophobic and paranoid mood throughout the film.

sheol youve mentioned some great reasons why this film is worth watching. there reasons i can connect with. definitely one for a future film  list for me. Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Innominate said:

Holy shit, that does looks good. A lost Romero film from '73... Thanks for telling me about it. Shudder ain't bad though. I had some playback/buffering issues on my laptop with it, but it did well on Roku. And you get access to a lot of movies and documentaries. Sometimes the selection kind of bites, but they update it often with new and different stuff that keeps it interesting.

 

It does bode well for the movie. Not sure about directors, but there are a few movies I like, but I'll have to think about it more. I'm partial to 28 Days Later. Then stuff like Dead Alive and Return of the Living Dead... Fulci's Zombie is excellent if you like schlocky stuff (zombies look great though). Then The Serpent and The Rainbow, which is a great Wes Craven film that's more focused on voodoo zombies. Old stuff too like The Last Man on Earth with Vincent Price... although they were technically vampires, but still the living dead. And @Natassja recommended the Rec series before, if you've seen those.

innominate its only 55 minutes but yeah. im bit excited by lost romero film. what were the lutherian church thinking was going to happen putting romero in charge for a movie.😂i guess they hadn't seen night of the living dead.

i very may get shudder for a couple months just to see amusement park plus other biits and pieces. 

 

thanks for recommending a load of stuff. 👍 Vincent price ive only seen in edward swissor hands. what a movie though. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2021 at 5:34 PM, Innominate said:

I'm way out of the loop; I haven't heard of it until now. I'll probably check it out though, thanks. Hopefully they do it justice.

innominate is shudder like a proper streaming site. theyve got lost romero film id like to see but all reviews i read for it are bad.   also anyone else shudder subscribers. thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Join Metal Forum

    joinus-home.jpg

  • Our picks

    • Whichever tier of thrash metal you consigned Sacred Reich back in the 80's/90's they still had their moments.  "Ignorance" & "Surf Nicaragura" did a great job of establishing the band, whereas "The American Way" just got a little to comfortable and accessible (the title track grates nowadays) for my ears.  A couple more records better left forgotten about and then nothing for twenty three years.  2019 alone has now seen three releases from Phil Rind and co.  A live EP, a split EP with Iron Reagan and now a full length.

      Notable addition to the ranks for the current throng of releases is former Machine Head sticksman, Dave McClean.  Love or hate Machine Head, McClean is a more than capable drummer and his presence here is felt from the off with the opening and title track kicking things off with some real gusto.  'Divide & Conquer' and 'Salvation' muddle along nicely, never quite reaching any quality that would make my balls tingle but comfortable enough.  The looming build to 'Manifest Reality' delivers a real punch when the song starts proper.  Frenzied riffs and drums with shots of lead work to hold the interest.


      There's a problem already though (I know, I am such a fucking mood hoover).  I don't like Phil's vocals.  I never had if I am being honest.  The aggression to them seems a little forced even when they are at their best on tracks like 'Manifest Reality'.  When he tries to sing it just feels weak though ('Salvation') and tracks lose real punch.  Give him a riffy number such as 'Killing Machine' and he is fine with the Reich engine (probably a poor choice of phrase) up in sixth gear.  For every thrashy riff there's a fair share of rock edged, local bar act rhythm aplenty too.

      Let's not poo-poo proceedings though, because overall I actually enjoy "Awakening".  It is stacked full of catchy riffs that are sticky on the old ears.  Whilst not as raw as perhaps the - brilliant - artwork suggests with its black and white, tattoo flash sheet style design it is enjoyable enough.  Yes, 'Death Valley' & 'Something to Believe' have no place here, saved only by Arnett and Radziwill's lead work but 'Revolution' is a fucking 80's thrash heyday throwback to the extent that if you turn the TV on during it you might catch a new episode of Cheers!

      3/5
      • Reputation Points

      • 4 replies
    • I
      • Reputation Points

      • 1 reply
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/52-vltimas-something-wicked-marches-in/
      • Reputation Points

      • 3 replies

    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/48-candlemass-the-door-to-doom/
      • Reputation Points

      • 1 reply
    • Full length number 19 from overkill certainly makes a splash in the energy stakes, I mean there's some modern thrash bands that are a good two decades younger than Overkill who can only hope to achieve the levels of spunk that New Jersey's finest produce here.  That in itself is an achievement, for a band of Overkill's stature and reputation to be able to still sound relevant four decades into their career is no mean feat.  Even in the albums weaker moments it never gets redundant and the energy levels remain high.  There's a real sense of a band in a state of some renewed vigour, helped in no small part by the addition of Jason Bittner on drums.  The former Flotsam & Jetsam skinsman is nothing short of superb throughout "The Wings of War" and seems to have squeezed a little extra out of the rest of his peers.

      The album kicks of with a great build to opening track "Last Man Standing" and for the first 4 tracks of the album the Overkill crew stomp, bash and groove their way to a solid level of consistency.  The lead work is of particular note and Blitz sounds as sneery and scathing as ever.  The album is well produced and mixed too with all parts of the thrash machine audible as the five piece hammer away at your skull with the usual blend of chugging riffs and infectious anthems.  


      There are weak moments as mentioned but they are more a victim of how good the strong tracks are.  In it's own right "Distortion" is a solid enough - if not slightly varied a journey from the last offering - but it just doesn't stand up well against a "Bat Shit Crazy" or a "Head of a Pin".  As the album draws to a close you get the increasing impression that the last few tracks are rescued really by some great solos and stomping skin work which is a shame because trimming of a couple of tracks may have made this less obvious. 

      4/5
      • Reputation Points

      • 3 replies
×
×
  • Create New...