Horror Films

Ikard

Hobo with a Shotgun was on TV recently! I need to watch it all the way through.

Talking about odd films some weird ones I have seen recently include Dressed to Kill and Pyro. I mostly prefer horror that has a weird atmosphere rather than flat out gore, stalker-y type shit I really dig too! The Witch was also really cool and different. 

On 1/25/2020 at 8:23 AM, Abronsius said:

Yes I liked The Witch also! Not too keen on the stalker type though. I watched The Thing (recent one) the other day; a bit 'meh'.

Yeh it was good. The Thing from 2011 ? I think it was supposed to be a prequel, could be wrong about that though. I'll have to check it out. The original was on TV other night was cool to see it again. I watched Salem's Lot again last night, love that film.

14 hours ago, Natassja said:

Yeh it was good. The Thing from 2011 ? I think it was supposed to be a prequel, could be wrong about that though. I'll have to check it out. The original was on TV other night was cool to see it again. I watched Salem's Lot again last night, love that film.

Yes it is a prequel. Pretty much the same formula as the original only with crappier special effects. I've never seen Salemn's Lot - I'll give it a go.

13 hours ago, Abronsius said:

Yes it is a prequel. Pretty much the same formula as the original only with crappier special effects. I've never seen Salemn's Lot - I'll give it a go.

Aye I thought it was. Salem's Lot is a classic, it really has some of the creepiest scenes I have ever seen! Still freaks me out and I have seen it ten million times! It was originally aired as a two part mini series in late '70s or around then. Definitely one to see especially if you dig vampire stuff. A really great creepy read also. Gonna check out my Hellraiser box set again this weekend and maybe Nightbreed while I'm at it. There was a weird film on Film4 other night called Mother! with Jennifer Lawrence and Javier Bardem, was quite bizarre and one I hadn't heard of actually. I think it was from the guy who directed Black Swan, if I remember the name correctly.

10 hours ago, Natassja said:

Aye I thought it was. Salem's Lot is a classic, it really has some of the creepiest scenes I have ever seen! Still freaks me out and I have seen it ten million times! It was originally aired as a two part mini series in late '70s or around then. Definitely one to see especially if you dig vampire stuff. A really great creepy read also. Gonna check out my Hellraiser box set again this weekend and maybe Nightbreed while I'm at it. There was a weird film on Film4 other night called Mother! with Jennifer Lawrence and Javier Bardem, was quite bizarre and one I hadn't heard of actually. I think it was from the guy who directed Black Swan, if I remember the name correctly.

I do like a good vampire film! I'm debating whether to watch Mother! but I liked Black Swan so I might do. Do you like the Rob Zombie flicks? A bit distressing to watch sometimes but bloody good films! 

51 minutes ago, Abronsius said:

I do like a good vampire film! I'm debating whether to watch Mother! but I liked Black Swan so I might do. Do you like the Rob Zombie flicks? A bit distressing to watch sometimes but bloody good films! 

I liked Black Swan too. Rob Zombie is great! I love House of 1000! Otis is so bad ass :D Karen Black was great in it. I actually have Otis and Baby Living Dead dolls sitting on my bookcase!  I liked his Halloween too, which is your favourite? 

34 minutes ago, Natassja said:

I liked Black Swan too. Rob Zombie is great! I love House of 1000! Otis is so bad ass :D Karen Black was great in it. I actually have Otis and Baby Living Dead dolls sitting on my bookcase!  I liked his Halloween too, which is your favourite? 

Favourite is House of 1000! Ha ha re: BLD dolls! I find the old Victorian dolls with those eyes freak me out a bit! They just sit there, in their old fashioned garb, just staring.........I'm sure their eyes move and follow you around the room! Have you a favourite vamp film?

9 hours ago, Abronsius said:

Favourite is House of 1000! Ha ha re: BLD dolls! I find the old Victorian dolls with those eyes freak me out a bit! They just sit there, in their old fashioned garb, just staring.........I'm sure their eyes move and follow you around the room! Have you a favourite vamp film?

Yeh some of the old dolls are weird..  me and my friend were actually talking about ventriloquist dummies the other day! Some of them are really odd, she was on about that film Magic from the 80's. I haven't seen it but don't know if I want to ! The Boy II is coming out haha! Brahms..he was quite cute I thought lol. Vampire films.. hmm.. Let The Right One In was cool, I prefer the original swedish one though (Lat Den Ratte Komma In), I love Bram Stokers Dracula with Gary Oldman (romance and blood can never be wrong!) also Interview with the Vampire are among my favourites, of course Christopher Lees portrayal was brilliant and I have recently watched Nosferatu the Vampyre from 1979 directed by Werner Herzog, that was quite interesting. I want to see A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night, seems to have some good reviews. I like Fright Night and Lost Boys too to lighten things up, how about you?

2 hours ago, Natassja said:

Yeh some of the old dolls are weird..  me and my friend were actually talking about ventriloquist dummies the other day! Some of them are really odd, she was on about that film Magic from the 80's. I haven't seen it but don't know if I want to ! The Boy II is coming out haha! Brahms..he was quite cute I thought lol. Vampire films.. hmm.. Let The Right One In was cool, I prefer the original swedish one though (Lat Den Ratte Komma In), I love Bram Stokers Dracula with Gary Oldman (romance and blood can never be wrong!) also Interview with the Vampire are among my favourites, of course Christopher Lees portrayal was brilliant and I have recently watched Nosferatu the Vampyre from 1979 directed by Werner Herzog, that was quite interesting. I want to see A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night, seems to have some good reviews. I like Fright Night and Lost Boys too to lighten things up, how about you?

You've pretty much mentioned all my favourite vamp films! The Fearless Vampire Killers is pretty good too. I haven't seen the updated version of Let the Right One In, and not sure if I want too! Only Lovers Left Alive is a good one as well. And of course From Dusk Till Dawn! I had not heard of A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night; I've just looked it up and it seems intriguing! Any other recommendations??

2 hours ago, Abronsius said:

You've pretty much mentioned all my favourite vamp films! The Fearless Vampire Killers is pretty good too. I haven't seen the updated version of Let the Right One In, and not sure if I want too! Only Lovers Left Alive is a good one as well. And of course From Dusk Till Dawn! I had not heard of A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night; I've just looked it up and it seems intriguing! Any other recommendations??

I haven't seen The Fearless Vampire Killers I'll have to check it out. Other recommendations hmm well I'll just name a few I like from horror genre, you probably have seen- The Wicker Man, Texas Chainsaw, Rosemary's Baby, The Devil Rides Out, Race With The Devil, Psycho, Company of Wolves, When A Stranger Calls, Suspiria, Blade In The Dark, Martin,  started watching Eye Of The Devil with Sharon Tate not finished yet good atmosphere..there are so many good movies! How bout you? any recommendations? 

8 hours ago, Natassja said:

I haven't seen The Fearless Vampire Killers I'll have to check it out. Other recommendations hmm well I'll just name a few I like from horror genre, you probably have seen- The Wicker Man, Texas Chainsaw, Rosemary's Baby, The Devil Rides Out, Race With The Devil, Psycho, Company of Wolves, When A Stranger Calls, Suspiria, Blade In The Dark, Martin,  started watching Eye Of The Devil with Sharon Tate not finished yet good atmosphere..there are so many good movies! How bout you? any recommendations? 

There's a few on there that I'll check out. I like Company of Wolves and Wicker Man, the original of course! Funnily enough, Sharon Tate was married to Roman Polanski who starred in and directed the Fearless Vampire Killers! I've started to watch Hannibal again, the series with Mads Mikkelson. That is really good and gorey! I also like the Japanese horror scene like Ring (unlike the watered down re-makes), and Audition. I'm also partial to a good zombie flick: World War Z, and a little French gem of a film: the Night Eats the World. As you say, there's so many to choose from! Although I do tend to veer towards foreign films.

4 hours ago, Abronsius said:

There's a few on there that I'll check out. I like Company of Wolves and Wicker Man, the original of course! Funnily enough, Sharon Tate was married to Roman Polanski who starred in and directed the Fearless Vampire Killers! I've started to watch Hannibal again, the series with Mads Mikkelson. That is really good and gorey! I also like the Japanese horror scene like Ring (unlike the watered down re-makes), and Audition. I'm also partial to a good zombie flick: World War Z, and a little French gem of a film: the Night Eats the World. As you say, there's so many to choose from! Although I do tend to veer towards foreign films.

Company of Wolves has a great atmosphere, really cool film, the scene with Terence Stamp and Stephen Reas' transformation have always stuck in my head! I haven't seen The Night Eats the World, I must check it out. Yeh I just looked up Fearless.. and saw about Roman..the remake of Let The Right One In was good actually, worth seeing. I prefer original though, I really enjoy Swedish crime stuff like Wallander -good books too - also Norwegian writers like Nesbo , The Snowman got slated but I thought it was well shot, I enjoyed it but could've been much more..

2 minutes ago, Natassja said:

Company of Wolves has a great atmosphere, really cool film, the scene with Terence Stamp and Stephen Reas' transformation have always stuck in my head! I haven't seen The Night Eats the World, I must check it out. Yeh I just looked up Fearless.. and saw about Roman..the remake of Let The Right One In was good actually, worth seeing. I prefer original though, I really enjoy Swedish crime stuff like Wallander -good books too - also Norwegian writers like Nesbo , The Snowman got slated but I thought it was well shot, I enjoyed it but could've been much more..

I love the Nordic crime scene. I've got loads backing up on Netflix to be watched! Including Wallander. Yes that scene in Company of Wolves stands out for me too. Ok, I'll give the remake of Let the Right One In a go...... Jury's out for me regarding The Snowman. It was well shot by there was something missing. 

21 hours ago, Abronsius said:

I love the Nordic crime scene. I've got loads backing up on Netflix to be watched! Including Wallander. Yes that scene in Company of Wolves stands out for me too. Ok, I'll give the remake of Let the Right One In a go...... Jury's out for me regarding The Snowman. It was well shot by there was something missing. 

Krister Henriksson was the best Wallander ! Jordskott was another good Scandi series. Yeh definitely something missing with The Snowman..and yeh Ring Grudge and The Eye ! Good movies. Haven't seen Hannibal series, must correct that. Another film I really dig is Manhunter . Didn't so much like Red Dragon but the book is great.

5 hours ago, Abronsius said:

Jordskott was fantastic! I wish they would bring out another series. Red Dragon was ok yes; Hannibal Rising was quite good also. Not read any of the Hannibal books though. Loads to watch instead!

Yeh it was excellent! What We Do In The Shadows was on TV recently too, didn't see all of it but what I did was quite funny :) Have you heard of Whistle and I'll Come to you by M.R James? Check it out on YouTube really cool old creepy story, Michael Hordern is in it.

14 hours ago, Natassja said:

Yeh it was excellent! What We Do In The Shadows was on TV recently too, didn't see all of it but what I did was quite funny :) Have you heard of Whistle and I'll Come to you by M.R James? Check it out on YouTube really cool old creepy story, Michael Hordern is in it.

I saw a bit of What We Do in the Shadows and it did look good! I knew the Whistle and I'll Come to You was going to be old when you mentioned Michael Hordern - just checked on Youtube; will watch that as well! I watched Witchfinder General the other day: such an underrated film. I love the 1960's and 70's horror genre; cheesy but so watchable!

1 hour ago, Abronsius said:

I saw a bit of What We Do in the Shadows and it did look good! I knew the Whistle and I'll Come to You was going to be old when you mentioned Michael Hordern - just checked on Youtube; will watch that as well! I watched Witchfinder General the other day: such an underrated film. I love the 1960's and 70's horror genre; cheesy but so watchable!

Yeh they are! Another couple of odd 70's movies are Something Evil with Sandy Dennis, directed by Spielberg interestingly enough. Odd atmosphere on that one as I recall, I haven't seen it for a while. Dark Secret of Harvest Home with Bette Davis was an odd one too, apparently was first shown as a miniseries and Hotline with Linda Carter from 1982. Witchfinder General is cool, I watched Tomb of Ligeia the other day. 

2 hours ago, Natassja said:

Yeh they are! Another couple of odd 70's movies are Something Evil with Sandy Dennis, directed by Spielberg interestingly enough. Odd atmosphere on that one as I recall, I haven't seen it for a while. Dark Secret of Harvest Home with Bette Davis was an odd one too, apparently was first shown as a miniseries and Hotline with Linda Carter from 1982. Witchfinder General is cool, I watched Tomb of Ligeia the other day. 

Where do you find these from?? I've not heard of any these titles! I'm not a massive fan of Spielberg to be honest; his earlier stuff is ok so I might check out Something Evil. I have heard of Tomb of Ligeia but not seen it - it's got Vincent Price in so must be good!