Horror Films

Ikard

On 7/12/2021 at 4:01 PM, Innominate said:

Yeah, I know of him, I've read Watchmen. Ever see the Wes Craven Swamp Thing movie?

Glad you like the fly. Mackie is the author I remember the most from when I was a kid and started reading Ghost Rider. Still have a few of the 90's ones. I've got some from the 70's too and I think J.M. DeMatteis was the main author of those. I really got into the 2099 series too. It's corny and weird, but I liked it more for the trippy Ashley Wood artwork. The zodiac murders sounds good, will have to check it out. As far as horror comics go, I've got a few I collect, like Gore Shriek, started getting into Spawn, then Night Of The Living Dead and some other movie adaptations. Then it's just other random shit I wound up with, mostly from when a friend was moving and dumped off some comics. It's not much of a collection so far.

good to hear from you again, the fly just gets genuinely creepier as it goes on imo,although brundle definitely had likeable qualities till near the end imo although only really to veronica after the transformation although that makes sense 😄  not much bad stuff happens but what happens is very effective, i was expecting worse tbh, the lighting and makeup were very good imo even though its old film now,reminds me a bit of kafka metamorphosis. have you read that? its the only thing ive read or watched that is similar tbh. definitely agree with your good words about it. 👍 from me

not seen the swamp thing movie, if its wes craven id imagine its fairly good minimum. ive liked the movies ive seen of his.worth watching the trailer. im sure alot of people got in to horror watching wes craven films as there not that scary. i watched nightmare on elm street when i was young and i liked it. tbh with the alan moore graphic novel the art work is amazing at times. especially the swamp thing. worth a google. imo theyve nailed the looks of the big characters imo.

if you like ghost rider youve got great choice😂 its bit hit and miss though. thanks for ghost rider recommendations and others. im on marvel unlimited app at moment so i read alot of that to get value from it but i do read other stuff too. ive heard of the spawn movie and im assuming its the same spawn as one you mentioned. thanks for other recommendations. thats cool re getting some comics from friend who was moving. re comics and movies do you still like the physical copy or do you prefer digital editions?i like digital as they take up so much less space. 

also have you seen any good horror films lately?

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/14/2021 at 1:59 PM, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

also have you seen any good horror films lately?

Watched The Greasy Strangler recently at the recommendation of a friend. It’s a horror/comedy, but heavier on the comedy side. Good to watch if you want to see something that’s delightfully fucked up. Swamp Thing is good but I kinda liked the sequel better. Jim Wynorski did it… Return of the Swamp Thing.

On 8/3/2021 at 3:57 AM, TheUnholyOne said:

Watched The Greasy Strangler recently at the recommendation of a friend. It’s a horror/comedy, but heavier on the comedy side. Good to watch if you want to see something that’s delightfully fucked up. Swamp Thing is good but I kinda liked the sequel better. Jim Wynorski did it… Return of the Swamp Thing.

thanks for the film ideas the unholy one. return of the swamp thing definitely looks alright. love the look of the swamp thing. looks excellent from you tube clips ive seen. your synopsis for greasy strangler is spot on too. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

not yet. too much work and no play.😫 ive put it on a list for when im off next. you know treat myself to a download. have you been watching any horror of note recently 

Yep, every day can’t be Saturday. I feel ya though. Ready for summer to be over with personally. I hope you like the movie. Watched It Follows recently and liked it, bought the soundtrack too. It has some good creepy scenes. Right now I’m watching A Field in England via Shudder on my lunch break.

Watched Without Warning (1980) last night. It had a good cast with Jack Palance, Martin Landau, a young David Caruso and a lot of other recognizable actors in it. It’s about an alien that comes to Earth to hunt humans, and was made a few years before Predator. In fact, the actor playing the alien here—Kevin Peter Hall—went on to play the Predator after Jean-Claude Van Damme was fired from that role. It’s low budget, wish they’d shown the alien more, but it has some decent horror in it. 

On 8/26/2021 at 1:29 AM, TheUnholyOne said:

Yep, every day can’t be Saturday. I feel ya though. Ready for summer to be over with personally. I hope you like the movie. Watched It Follows recently and liked it, bought the soundtrack too. It has some good creepy scenes. Right now I’m watching A Field in England via Shudder on my lunch break.

yeah every day cant be Saturday for sure. 😁 it follows sounds good. light horror. ive put it on my watch list. also if im not watching horror, murder mystery is another favourite of mine. 😂 

shudder how do you get on with that. the bad reviews put me off about people being double charged. im assuming youve had no problems with it

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Is Eraserhead really a horror movie though? I never really thought so, it's a creepy movie but not really a horror movie.

I mean, Gummo is kind of the same way (and features a lot of black metal in the soundtrack as well as tracks by Sleep) but I don't consider it to be a horror movie.

As far as horror movies go, I'm not really that into them. Never could really get into them aside from the old monster movies of the 30s and 40s and the reboots that they've spawned over the years. It may not be a horror movie persay, but one of my favorite movies of all time is Bram Stoker's Dracula. I also like the original Universal Dracula with Bela Lugosi, Frankenstein, the Mummy, etc.

1 hour ago, NokturnalBoredom said:

Is Eraserhead really a horror movie though? I never really thought so, it's a creepy movie but not really a horror movie.

I mean, Gummo is kind of the same way (and features a lot of black metal in the soundtrack as well as tracks by Sleep) but I don't consider it to be a horror movie.

Nah, neither are horror.

1 hour ago, NokturnalBoredom said:

As far as horror movies go, I'm not really that into them. Never could really get into them aside from the old monster movies of the 30s and 40s and the reboots that they've spawned over the years. It may not be a horror movie persay, but one of my favorite movies of all time is Bram Stoker's Dracula. I also like the original Universal Dracula with Bela Lugosi, Frankenstein, the Mummy, etc.

Some of the old 30's and 40's films still hold up. The Bride of Frankenstein is really cool. Bela is the most iconic Dracula, but I always liked Christopher Lee more.

3 hours ago, TheUnholyOne said:

Some of the old 30's and 40's films still hold up. The Bride of Frankenstein is really cool. Bela is the most iconic Dracula, but I always liked Christopher Lee more.

I saw one Hammer Dracula movie about two years ago on Halloween with the woman I was with at the time, it was OK. I've never seen Bride of Frankenstein though, that's probably the only one of the old Universal monster pictures that I never saw because it didn't strike me as something that I'd be interested in at the time.

I'll have to check it out this Halloween though. If I can.

18 hours ago, Balor said:

Agreed.  It feels much more like an art film to me.

I like it. It's one of the only movies I ever put in my Netflix queue when they still sent DVDs to your mailbox.

Gummo I had on DVD because I'm a fundamentally deranged person and felt a sort of sympathy for the characters because I live in Florida and actually know a lot of incredibly poor white people who live in the kinds of conditions that are shown in that movie. The fact that it had a soundtrack with Sleep, Brujeria, Burzum, Absu, Nifelheim, etc made it that much more pertinent of a movie to me.

6 hours ago, NokturnalBoredom said:

I like it. It's one of the only movies I ever put in my Netflix queue when they still sent DVDs to your mailbox.

Gummo I had on DVD because I'm a fundamentally deranged person and felt a sort of sympathy for the characters because I live in Florida and actually know a lot of incredibly poor white people who live in the kinds of conditions that are shown in that movie. The fact that it had a soundtrack with Sleep, Brujeria, Burzum, Absu, Nifelheim, etc made it that much more pertinent of a movie to me.

Gummo always seemed way too weird for me to ever want to see it - despite the Burzum music!

On 10/28/2021 at 6:58 PM, Balor said:

Gummo always seemed way too weird for me to ever want to see it

The thing about Gummo, is that it's both remarkably pretentious (like the absolute worst of Wes Anderson) and shocky at the same time. Generally because it was made by a pretentious hipster asshole who "ironically" likes black metal, and that type of person I have no patience for. It's not so much a proper movie as it is a series of vignettes about poor white people that are tied together by a very, very loose narrative that they are inhabitants of a town called Xenia, Ohio that was hit by an F5 tornado and "never was the same afterward". You get to see Chloe Sevigny's boobs, skinheads slap boxing in their kitchen, and a freaky looking kid eating spaghetti in a filthy bathtub... with a piece of bacon taped to the wall. It's a lot of stuff like that, where you can tell that the pretentious hipster asshole director was just doing stuff to "shock" or weird people out. There is a lot of black metal in the movie and it opens up with the song "Dragonaut" by Sleep, but it immediately gets bizarre and goes for the "tasteless" thing right away.

It was a big movie in my circle of friends when I was a lot younger, because we knew the type of people that the movie is portraying since we live in Southwest Florida. I sold the DVD years ago though, because it's one of those movies that you put on and drink beers or smoke pot while you're watching it and quote the dialogue as you watch it and say "Hey that reminds me of (name of someone you know)". It's definitely a weird movie, but I noticed in retrospect that it's more of a movie that hipsters like to tell one another that they've seen. It's not really a movie that anyone really likes, because there isn't much to like in it. Come to think of it, it reminds me a lot of like a CKY movie, just for pretentious hipsters who live in Brooklyn so they can feel better about not being poor white people who live in the South or Midwest. It sort of comes off like a documentary in parts, but everything in it was staged as far as I know save for the locations that they used to shoot it (the scene with all of the roaches in the house notably). It is supposed to be about Ohio but was filmed entirely in and around Nashville, TN and it shows... not saying anything bad about Tennessee though, because I personally like Tennessee and would move there if there was work that would pay me enough to be able to afford a decent place to live and not a shit shack.

On 10/27/2021 at 7:36 PM, NokturnalBoredom said:

I saw one Hammer Dracula movie about two years ago on Halloween with the woman I was with at the time, it was OK. I've never seen Bride of Frankenstein though, that's probably the only one of the old Universal monster pictures that I never saw because it didn't strike me as something that I'd be interested in at the time.

I'll have to check it out this Halloween though. If I can.

Bride of Frankenstein is a great movie and fun to watch, but it's really campy with a lot of humor in it. It's done well, but I know that's not everyone's thing... just so you know.

The last really good horror movie I remember watching was Event Horizon even though it's sci-fi horror rather than straight horror. I'm not terribly into slasher films or any of the jump-scare crap that's called horror today. People figure that since I'm into metal, I'd be into horror movies but I'm actually not into movies at all anymore really. I like well done war films and documentaries, but I rarely if ever watch anything anymore. I just listen to music constantly.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...