Horror Films

Ikard

18 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

innominate are you looking forward to George Romero's final film being released. twilight of the dead.  obviously it will be different as he cant direct for obvious reasons and the script was not fully finished by him. his wife is overseeing and approving the script which is done now. it will be different but im looking forward to it. ill see it without paying attention to reviews.  🥊😁 could be risky but romero zombie films are nearly always really good. 

I'm way out of the loop; I haven't heard of it until now. I'll probably check it out though, thanks. Hopefully they do it justice.

3 hours ago, Natassja said:

I've only just heard about the film ' A Field in England', don't know how that one managed to pass me by. Looks really interesting. The tent scene looks so bizarre. Can't wait to see it in full.

Watched the trailer and that felt really really strange.

On 5/5/2021 at 8:34 AM, Sheol said:

Cronenburg's The Fly is awesome. The guy is the king of body horror and The Fly has some really great practical effects (think The Thing). Plus, it's very entertaining.

I recently rewatched exZistenz and while mainly a mainstream thriller, there was some nice uncomfortable effects, especially the organic game pods. But my favourite Cronenburg film is definitely Videodrome.

sheol. think its time i watched the fly. entertaining and effects like the thing. sounds 👍very good to me.

i saw existenz recently again after along time of not seeing it.  i thought ending was interesting and well done. 

sheol what is it you like about videodrome? you said its your favourite cronenberg film. 

On 5/5/2021 at 5:34 PM, Innominate said:

I'm way out of the loop; I haven't heard of it until now. I'll probably check it out though, thanks. Hopefully they do it justice.

im thinking because georges wife is supervisor for overall direction it stands better chance of being good.  out of interest which other director does good zombie films? 

40 minutes ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

sheol what is it you like about videodrome? you said its your favourite cronenberg film. 

I think it's the fact that it's got great, unsettling effects. A interesting, very surreal premise, and the story doesn't feel dated. The issues of violence as entertainment, pushing boundaries and people compromising their humanity in order to fight an increasing desensitization are just as relevant today as in the 80's. Plus I love the very claustrophobic and paranoid mood throughout the film.

innominate you probably heard about the George romero lost film called amusement park. you can only get it on horror streaming channel shudder. looks good. down side is i have to sign up to shudder. film looks good from trailers ive seen. apparently lutherian church funded it in 1973 to highlight general bad treatment of elderly people. apparently they was so shocked when they saw movie they pulled there fuding and project  collapsed. some say its scariest movie  Romero did. interesting film

4 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

innominate you probably heard about the George romero lost film called amusement park. you can only get it on horror streaming channel shudder. looks good. down side is i have to sign up to shudder. film looks good from trailers ive seen. apparently lutherian church funded it in 1973 to highlight general bad treatment of elderly people. apparently they was so shocked when they saw movie they pulled there fuding and project  collapsed. some say its scariest movie  Romero did. interesting film

Holy shit, that does looks good. A lost Romero film from '73... Thanks for telling me about it. Shudder ain't bad though. I had some playback/buffering issues on my laptop with it, but it did well on Roku. And you get access to a lot of movies and documentaries. Sometimes the selection kind of bites, but they update it often with new and different stuff that keeps it interesting.

18 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

im thinking because georges wife is supervisor for overall direction it stands better chance of being good.  out of interest which other director does good zombie films? 

It does bode well for the movie. Not sure about directors, but there are a few movies I like, but I'll have to think about it more. I'm partial to 28 Days Later. Then stuff like Dead Alive and Return of the Living Dead... Fulci's Zombie is excellent if you like schlocky stuff (zombies look great though). Then The Serpent and The Rainbow, which is a great Wes Craven film that's more focused on voodoo zombies. Old stuff too like The Last Man on Earth with Vincent Price... although they were technically vampires, but still the living dead. And @Natassja recommended the Rec series before, if you've seen those.

28 days later was great, 28 weeks later was shite though. I think REC if one of the scariest films I've seen, just make sure you watch the Spanish original and not the American remake. The last 30 min was intense! Also, Train to Busan is amazing! A Korean zombie movie with a lot of heart and horror. Some scenes are just heartbreaking, in a good way!

On 5/6/2021 at 4:29 PM, Natassja said:

I've only just heard about the film ' A Field in England', don't know how that one managed to pass me by. Looks really interesting. The tent scene looks so bizarre. Can't wait to see it in full.

I’ve not seen this since it was released, it was screened simultaneously in cinemas and on Film4 in the UK (without ad breaks IIRC), it’s worth a watch if you like Ben Wheatley films.

13 hours ago, Sheol said:

Also, Train to Busan is amazing! A Korean zombie movie with a lot of heart and horror. Some scenes are just heartbreaking, in a good way!

One of the best Zombie films I’ve seen in recent years.

On 5/9/2021 at 10:02 AM, Sheol said:

I think it's the fact that it's got great, unsettling effects. A interesting, very surreal premise, and the story doesn't feel dated. The issues of violence as entertainment, pushing boundaries and people compromising their humanity in order to fight an increasing desensitization are just as relevant today as in the 80's. Plus I love the very claustrophobic and paranoid mood throughout the film.

sheol youve mentioned some great reasons why this film is worth watching. there reasons i can connect with. definitely one for a future film  list for me. Thanks

19 hours ago, Innominate said:

Holy shit, that does looks good. A lost Romero film from '73... Thanks for telling me about it. Shudder ain't bad though. I had some playback/buffering issues on my laptop with it, but it did well on Roku. And you get access to a lot of movies and documentaries. Sometimes the selection kind of bites, but they update it often with new and different stuff that keeps it interesting.

It does bode well for the movie. Not sure about directors, but there are a few movies I like, but I'll have to think about it more. I'm partial to 28 Days Later. Then stuff like Dead Alive and Return of the Living Dead... Fulci's Zombie is excellent if you like schlocky stuff (zombies look great though). Then The Serpent and The Rainbow, which is a great Wes Craven film that's more focused on voodoo zombies. Old stuff too like The Last Man on Earth with Vincent Price... although they were technically vampires, but still the living dead. And @Natassja recommended the Rec series before, if you've seen those.

innominate its only 55 minutes but yeah. im bit excited by lost romero film. what were the lutherian church thinking was going to happen putting romero in charge for a movie.😂i guess they hadn't seen night of the living dead.

i very may get shudder for a couple months just to see amusement park plus other biits and pieces. 

thanks for recommending a load of stuff. 👍 Vincent price ive only seen in edward swissor hands. what a movie though. 

• 2 weeks later...

innominate is shudder like a proper streaming site. theyve got lost romero film id like to see but all reviews i read for it are bad.   also anyone else shudder subscribers. thanks

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/31/2021 at 8:20 AM, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

innominate is shudder like a proper streaming site. theyve got lost romero film id like to see but all reviews i read for it are bad.   also anyone else shudder subscribers. thanks

Yeah. Shudder wasn't bad when I had it last year, they have some good stuff. Try it and see if you want to, I suppose. I always used to subscribe to it when they had a few movies I wanted to see and then cancel after a while. The Amusement Park is getting bad reviews or Shudder?

10 hours ago, Innominate said:

Yeah. Shudder wasn't bad when I had it last year, they have some good stuff. Try it and see if you want to, I suppose. I always used to subscribe to it when they had a few movies I wanted to see and then cancel after a while. The Amusement Park is getting bad reviews or Shudder?

good to know as reviews are not good innominate for shudder some are fake but they cant all be. thanks for feedback. will give it a go to watch amusement park,  some say shudder is bit rubbish with loads of top horror movies not on there,but worth it for amusement park for me, also can you recommend any movies similar to romero and carpenter stuff that maybe on shudder, 

from what i read its worth watching amusement park even if its not a great romero film, reviewer said it was too repetitive but not without some merit. 

also have you seen any good horror films recently

On 6/20/2021 at 7:05 AM, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

good to know as reviews are not good innominate for shudder some are fake but they cant all be. thanks for feedback. will give it a go to watch amusement park,  some say shudder is bit rubbish with loads of top horror movies not on there,but worth it for amusement park for me, also can you recommend any movies similar to romero and carpenter stuff that maybe on shudder, 

from what i read its worth watching amusement park even if its not a great romero film, reviewer said it was too repetitive but not without some merit. 

also have you seen any good horror films recently

Right now it seems like their selection has dwindled some and a lot of the movies they used to have are gone, so there's some validity to the bad reviews. Bottom line is, it's a mixed bag with Shudder. There's some good movies on there, some garbage and you never know how long any of it will stay available to watch or what will turn up next. But it's cheap enough. I've always subscribed for a while, watched what I wanted to, then cancelled. Then when they get some new stuff that seems interesting, I swoop back in and watch it, cancel when I get done, and so on. That's my advice :D But you'll have to check it out to see what you think, if it's worth it to you. I'm not familiar with many of the movies on there now, so I can't really recommend anything that'd be similar to Romero or Carpenter's. They have a lot of Dario Argento movies on there now, so if you haven't seen those before, it'd be a good place to get caught up. There's a lot of classic stuff to pick through too, and some modern titles that are good as well. But if I come across anything on Shudder, I'll post it here.

I did watch The Amusement Park earlier today and for what it is, it's pretty good. It shows the stark realities of old age in a blunt but nightmarish way and it is definitely a Romero film. It is a bit repetitive, but since it only clocks in at under an hour, I can't complain. I liked it. They had another movie of his on Shudder, Season of the Witch, but I have yet to watch the whole thing. Got a bit bored by it, frankly.

Life's been in the way of my movie watching for quite a while, so I haven't really been in the frame of mind to watch much of anything and really take it in until recently. I watched The Brood last night, the Cronenberg film from '79. I liked it quite a bit. It's a slow-burner, suspenseful, but kept me interested. Before I got into the Cronenberg phase I was into some of Roman Polanski's films, Repulsion and The Tenant, which I'd recommend. Nearly forgot that I watched Diary of a Madman, another Vincent Price movie. It was entertaining. One of those old movies with objects floating around the room suspended by wires. How about you, what have you watched recently?

On 6/22/2021 at 1:12 AM, Innominate said:

Right now it seems like their selection has dwindled some and a lot of the movies they used to have are gone, so there's some validity to the bad reviews. Bottom line is, it's a mixed bag with Shudder. There's some good movies on there, some garbage and you never know how long any of it will stay available to watch or what will turn up next. But it's cheap enough. I've always subscribed for a while, watched what I wanted to, then cancelled. Then when they get some new stuff that seems interesting, I swoop back in and watch it, cancel when I get done, and so on. That's my advice :D But you'll have to check it out to see what you think, if it's worth it to you. I'm not familiar with many of the movies on there now, so I can't really recommend anything that'd be similar to Romero or Carpenter's. They have a lot of Dario Argento movies on there now, so if you haven't seen those before, it'd be a good place to get caught up. There's a lot of classic stuff to pick through too, and some modern titles that are good as well. But if I come across anything on Shudder, I'll post it here.

I did watch The Amusement Park earlier today and for what it is, it's pretty good. It shows the stark realities of old age in a blunt but nightmarish way and it is definitely a Romero film. It is a bit repetitive, but since it only clocks in at under an hour, I can't complain. I liked it. They had another movie of his on Shudder, Season of the Witch, but I have yet to watch the whole thing. Got a bit bored by it, frankly.

Life's been in the way of my movie watching for quite a while, so I haven't really been in the frame of mind to watch much of anything and really take it in until recently. I watched The Brood last night, the Cronenberg film from '79. I liked it quite a bit. It's a slow-burner, suspenseful, but kept me interested. Before I got into the Cronenberg phase I was into some of Roman Polanski's films, Repulsion and The Tenant, which I'd recommend. Nearly forgot that I watched Diary of a Madman, another Vincent Price movie. It was entertaining. One of those old movies with objects floating around the room suspended by wires. How about you, what have you watched recently?

im rubbish for watching movies at the moment. commutes of 250 miles per day at work dont help either.   im reading the swamp thing by alan moore on my phone. its not movie but its kinda related imo to horror due to its themes and it  looks amazing for 80s graphic novel, so thats good. and ghost rider the zodiak murders. again not horror but has got elements of horror. also a great series of graphic novels,

i should make more of an effort to watch another film. i reckon i will watch the fly. on my phone. im right lazy😂 then sign up to shudder.  thanks for tips and film recommendation. have you seen the 1950s fly film. im assuming as you mentioned cronenberg that youve seen the 80s film. the 50s film has Vincent price in it. also thanks for your review of amusement park film. i will likely see it soon on shudder

15 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

im rubbish for watching movies at the moment. commutes of 250 miles per day at work dont help either.   im reading the swamp thing by alan moore on my phone. its not movie but its kinda related imo to horror due to its themes and it  looks amazing for 80s graphic novel, so thats good. and ghost rider the zodiak murders. again not horror but has got elements of horror. also a great series of graphic novels,

i should make more of an effort to watch another film. i reckon i will watch the fly. on my phone. im right lazy😂 then sign up to shudder.  thanks for tips and film recommendation. have you seen the 1950s fly film. im assuming as you mentioned cronenberg that youve seen the 80s film. the 50s film has Vincent price in it. also thanks for your review of amusement park film. i will likely see it soon on shudder

It can be hard to find the time for movies with work and all. Nothing wrong with watching stuff on a phone though. Never read Swamp Thing, but it sounds good. Used to be big into Ghost Rider too. What's the Zodiac one like?

Yep, I've seen The Fly, the 50's one and the Cronenberg film as well. The Cronenberg one is great, can't go wrong with it. You're welcome for the review :) It's worth watching The Amusement Park, thanks again for telling me about it. It's not too outrageous, but I can see why the church had a problem with it. There's a few scenes in particular, you'll see...

I watched Deliver Us From Evil (2014) last night. Usually the Exorcism based films fall short and are overdone but after putting this one off for ages I was pleasantly surprised. Brilliant acting, good cast and the story was unique for an Exorcism film. Would recommend. 

Last nights viewing was The Little Girl Who Lives Down The Lane (1976). It is classed as Horror but that may be more due to the year the film was released, not what I have come to think of as the conventional Horror film but it was an excellent watch and some intense scenes and quite difficult subject matter. Would highly recommend the film purely for the acting and storyline. Don't expect scares or to be overly moved but still a great watch. 

On 6/28/2021 at 3:29 PM, Innominate said:

It can be hard to find the time for movies with work and all. Nothing wrong with watching stuff on a phone though. Never read Swamp Thing, but it sounds good. Used to be big into Ghost Rider too. What's the Zodiac one like?

Yep, I've seen The Fly, the 50's one and the Cronenberg film as well. The Cronenberg one is great, can't go wrong with it. You're welcome for the review :) It's worth watching The Amusement Park, thanks again for telling me about it. It's not too outrageous, but I can see why the church had a problem with it. There's a few scenes in particular, you'll see...

good to hear from you. swamp thing by alan moore is interesting for sure. moore needs no introduction. hes just a massive name in graphic novels. have you heard of him. 

i bought the cronenberg fly film. interesting so far.  ghost rider when it works is amazing. hard to beat.  howard mackies run was amazing. the zodiac murders is to do with many unexplained murders throughout the city and the ghost rider finding who did  them..

also have you got any fave ghost rider authors.  always on lookout for some good ghost rider graphic novels

look forward to watching amusement park some time. thanks for the warning

On 7/6/2021 at 5:36 PM, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

good to hear from you. swamp thing by alan moore is interesting for sure. moore needs no introduction. hes just a massive name in graphic novels. have you heard of him. 

i bought the cronenberg fly film. interesting so far.  ghost rider when it works is amazing. hard to beat.  howard mackies run was amazing. the zodiac murders is to do with many unexplained murders throughout the city and the ghost rider finding who did  them..

also have you got any fave ghost rider authors.  always on lookout for some good ghost rider graphic novels

look forward to watching amusement park some time. thanks for the warning

Yeah, I know of him, I've read Watchmen. Ever see the Wes Craven Swamp Thing movie?

Glad you like the fly. Mackie is the author I remember the most from when I was a kid and started reading Ghost Rider. Still have a few of the 90's ones. I've got some from the 70's too and I think J.M. DeMatteis was the main author of those. I really got into the 2099 series too. It's corny and weird, but I liked it more for the trippy Ashley Wood artwork. The zodiac murders sounds good, will have to check it out. As far as horror comics go, I've got a few I collect, like Gore Shriek, started getting into Spawn, then Night Of The Living Dead and some other movie adaptations. Then it's just other random shit I wound up with, mostly from when a friend was moving and dumped off some comics. It's not much of a collection so far.