Horror Films

Ikard

On 2/10/2021 at 5:00 PM, Natassja said:

Ha! Yeh Digging up the Marrow is quite entertaining check it out sometime :) House of 1000 I believe was Rob's debut, really cool movie. Definitely worth your time! One of my favourites!

@Innominate Restivo had a thing about hair. He used to leave it in his victims hand. Not their own tho.

Thanks Natassja. Thanks for the recommendation re rob zombie film, what a talent eh rock star and good movie director. And digging up the marrow will have to Google that. j

Thanks for link. 

On 2/10/2021 at 2:42 PM, Valso said:

feast21.jpg

6 hours ago, Natassja said:

Yeh, I've been reading a book about him wondered if you'd heard, I may have mentioned him before. Really creepy.

Daniel Restivo? 

Was active in my area. Bournemouth. I live in the next town of Poole. He was charged with the murder of Heather Barnett in 2002. Remember it well. Horrible murder. 

On 2/12/2021 at 8:55 AM, Fraser said:

Daniel Restivo? 

Was active in my area. Bournemouth. I live in the next town of Poole. He was charged with the murder of Heather Barnett in 2002. Remember it well. Horrible murder. 

Frasier. I  tend to remember those especially nasty things too. Like there was a guy I used to know from work who got 20 plus years and he very much deserved that. I won't say what on this thread. I read about it in local paper and I can't forget what he did to the victims. 

Re movies has anyone seen silent hill. It's a very atmospheric film based on video game starring Sean bean. I definitely liked the look of film. Lots of fog and smoke. amazing visuals . Not that much happens as I remember but it's definitely quite creepy. 

10 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Frasier. I  tend to remember those especially nasty things too. Like there was a guy I used to know from work who got 20 plus years and he very much deserved that. I won't say what on this thread. I read about it in local paper and I can't forget what he did to the victims. 

Re movies has anyone seen silent hill. It's a very atmospheric film based on video game starring Sean bean. I definitely liked the look of film. Lots of fog and smoke. amazing visuals . Not that much happens as I remember but it's definitely quite creepy. 

I liked Silent Hill, I enjoyed the games too.

I watched Wake Wood other night, quite enjoyed it, Timothy Spall and Aidan Gillan are in it. A couple's daughter dies and they discover a way to bring her back for a few days. I'm about to put the Wicker Man on now I think..

13 hours ago, Natassja said:

I liked Silent Hill, I enjoyed the games too.

I watched Wake Wood other night, quite enjoyed it, Timothy Spall and Aidan Gillan are in it. A couple's daughter dies and they discover a way to bring her back for a few days. I'm about to put the Wicker Man on now I think..

At least it wasn't just me who liked the silent hill movies NAT. ? I guess it wasn't most original but look of film worked well for me at least, if atmospheric fog and smoke is your thing. Story was interesting too. 

Which wicker Man are you watching the modern one or  Christopher Lee original

On 2/15/2021 at 10:37 AM, Natassja said:

@blaaacdoommmmfan yeh I saw it ages ago could do with watching again, I liked the remake too. 

The original Wicker Man ..I didn't really dig the remake..

I miss Blockbuster and looking through the films. Sucked they disappeared. 

Yeah definitely agree with you about blockbuster Natassja. I found some gems just by browsing.  If you like ring and silent hill film Dark water is worth watching plus its one I discovered at blockbuster. It's by ring author. Worth a download imo. Japanese version is better one

Yeah wicker Man. Looking forward to seeing that again.

3 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Out of interest what are people's favourite horror theme tunes. For me Halloween is really good and one of my favourites. So catchy and simple but so effective for me anyway. 

Hellraiser and Dawn of the Dead (1978) are my favorites. Also fond of Zombie and Return of the Living Dead themes too. And of course The Thing. 

On 2/17/2021 at 11:24 PM, Innominate said:

Hellraiser and Dawn of the Dead (1978) are my favorites. Also fond of Zombie and Return of the Living Dead themes too. And of course The Thing. 

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm also a George Romero zombie film fan too. I've seen a few of his zombie movies. Dawn of the dead is a good theme. Really captures the mood and reminds me of the movie which I liked. Music was bit hit and miss on the film but the theme is spot on for me.  Re the thing I've seen the movie and liked that and the theme music is really good for the Antarctica setting of the film. Not seen it in a while but brings back good memories of the film. I remember Kurt russel drinking scotch a fair bit on that movie ? mind you I'd probably be having a few in that situation ? return of the living dead is very catchy and reminds me bit of that composer called carpenter brut thinks that's it. Got a free sample cd from metal hammer ? magazine. Have you heard of this artist

On 2/18/2021 at 12:53 AM, Natassja said:

Suspiria theme by Goblin. 

Thanks NAT for this suggestion. Its a good creepy theme.vthe vocals and music are far from perfect but it works very well together. Not seen movie but may well look it up.  As mad as it sounds it brings back memories of the 3 part documentary I watched about Jim Jones and his cult. Must be something about the vocals. The documentary is recommended viewing but not appropriate for this thread. ☺️

1 hour ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm also a George Romero zombie film fan too. I've seen a few of his zombie movies. Dawn of the dead is a good theme. Really captures the mood and reminds me of the movie which I liked. Music was bit hit and miss on the film but the theme is spot on for me.  Re the thing I've seen the movie and liked that and the theme music is really good for the Antarctica setting of the film. Not seen it in a while but brings back good memories of the film. I remember Kurt russel drinking scotch a fair bit on that movie ? mind you I'd probably be having a few in that situation ? return of the living dead is very catchy and reminds me bit of that composer called carpenter brut thinks that's it. Got a free sample cd from metal hammer ? magazine. Have you heard of this artist

Thanks NAT for this suggestion. Its a good creepy theme.vthe vocals and music are far from perfect but it works very well together. Not seen movie but may well look it up.  As mad as it sounds it brings back memories of the 3 part documentary I watched about Jim Jones and his cult. Must be something about the vocals. The documentary is recommended viewing but not appropriate for this thread. ☺️

Yeh it's creepy eh?! Deffo see Suspiria the original, it'll stay with you. They re-made it but not sure about that. Anyone seen the re-do of Maniac? It was quite entertaining, was pleasantly surprised. I think I've seen that docu about Jim Jones. I'll have a look again, cheers! Anyone seen Blade in the Dark?

7 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Ah cool, love Romero's movies and he always came across as humble and insightful in interviews. Which of his zombie movies do you like? Martin is another good film of his; a different take on vampirism. I like the score of Dawn on it's own. I agree, it does kind of clank a bit in the context of the film, but I got used to it. And it's supposed to be kind of funny. Perhaps J&B was a paid sponsor for The Thing lol The soundtrack to that film is one that I like to put on quite often.

Carpenter Brut? I remember the "Turbo Killer" video on youtube when it was new. I don't know much else about him or his music, but I'm always open to recommendations.

On 2/21/2021 at 4:21 AM, Innominate said:

Ah cool, love Romero's movies and he always came across as humble and insightful in interviews. Which of his zombie movies do you like? Martin is another good film of his; a different take on vampirism. I like the score of Dawn on it's own. I agree, it does kind of clank a bit in the context of the film, but I got used to it. And it's supposed to be kind of funny. Perhaps J&B was a paid sponsor for The Thing lol The soundtrack to that film is one that I like to put on quite often.

Carpenter Brut? I remember the "Turbo Killer" video on youtube when it was new. I don't know much else about him or his music, but I'm always open to recommendations.

Cool fact, my cousin's wife worked on think it was Romeros diary of the dead film as a crew member. I always thought that was cool plus I liked the film as it was very differet take on the genre but I liked it,  have you seen this movie.      Yeahh good one. J&b being a sponsor of the thing? but considering the amount it's placed in film it could be. 

I've seen a few Romero films. The first one is one of my favourites. Not seen it in a while but liked that. Thought black man playing one of the  main characters did a good job .plus it wasa well done movie.would need to see it again. Think it was night of the living dead but not seen in years. Dawn of the dead original is way better than remake imo too. Just works better and flows better for me. The film's special effects by Tom savini are good and  slightly amusing at times for me anyway although at the time they were probably cutting edge. Thanks for ? re the thing soundtrack. May have to check this out on you tube.   

Tbh I know as much as you do re carpenter brut but I can appreciate his talent. Im bit rigid liking bands with guitars in them and not sure carpenter brut has guitar in At least youve heard of it. In all honesty you probably know more about this band than me. ?

On 2/20/2021 at 10:03 PM, Natassja said:

Yeh it's creepy eh?! Deffo see Suspiria the original, it'll stay with you. They re-made it but not sure about that. Anyone seen the re-do of Maniac? It was quite entertaining, was pleasantly surprised. I think I've seen that docu about Jim Jones. I'll have a look again, cheers! Anyone seen Blade in the Dark?

Thanks for the recommendation re suspiria. Ok original is best like alot of them. In my experience remakes are more polished but they lose some of the original energy. Of course there are some good ones. I just can't think of too many. Yeah you may well have seen the Jim Jones documentary. It's on the Storyville series which BBC showed. 

On 2/22/2021 at 5:52 PM, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Cool fact, my cousin's wife worked on think it was Romeros diary of the dead film as a crew member. I always thought that was cool plus I liked the film as it was very differet take on the genre but I liked it,  have you seen this movie.      Yeahh good one. J&b being a sponsor of the thing? but considering the amount it's placed in film it could be. 

I've seen a few Romero films. The first one is one of my favourites. Not seen it in a while but liked that. Thought black man playing one of the  main characters did a good job .plus it wasa well done movie.would need to see it again. Think it was night of the living dead but not seen in years. Dawn of the dead original is way better than remake imo too. Just works better and flows better for me. The film's special effects by Tom savini are good and  slightly amusing at times for me anyway although at the time they were probably cutting edge. Thanks for ? re the thing soundtrack. May have to check this out on you tube.   

Tbh I know as much as you do re carpenter brut but I can appreciate his talent. Im bit rigid liking bands with guitars in them and not sure carpenter brut has guitar in At least youve heard of it. In all honesty you probably know more about this band than me. ?

That is really cool, she got to be a part of it. I haven't seen that one though.

Night of the Living Dead, yeah, that was the first one I saw. Duane Jones was the lead role, but the whole cast was excellent. Cool thing about that movie is it's public domain, so you can always watch it on youtube or anywhere. Yeah, the original Dawn of the Dead is the best. The remake is not bad; at least they did something different with it, but it's a little too much of people trapped in a mall hanging out, talking... from what I can remember. On the commentary track of the original Dawn, Tom talked about how he'd come up with different ideas for special effects and George would just let him do it because it'd look great or it'd just be fun. There was another part of that commentary too in regards to that scene where the army, local police and a bunch of rednecks are all shooting zombies together. They all start drinking beer and taking pictures, goofing off and stuff like that. The moderator asked George about it, he had this great line: "War is hell until it becomes a party." That stays with me. George was very insightful of human nature like that.

Hope you enjoy The Thing soundtrack.

Oh yeah? Well, I know that one song  of Carpenter Brut's. If you check it out, you'll have gained all my knowledge as well.

On 2/25/2021 at 6:39 AM, Innominate said:

That is really cool, she got to be a part of it. I haven't seen that one though.

Night of the Living Dead, yeah, that was the first one I saw. Duane Jones was the lead role, but the whole cast was excellent. Cool thing about that movie is it's public domain, so you can always watch it on youtube or anywhere. Yeah, the original Dawn of the Dead is the best. The remake is not bad; at least they did something different with it, but it's a little too much of people trapped in a mall hanging out, talking... from what I can remember. On the commentary track of the original Dawn, Tom talked about how he'd come up with different ideas for special effects and George would just let him do it because it'd look great or it'd just be fun. There was another part of that commentary too in regards to that scene where the army, local police and a bunch of rednecks are all shooting zombies together. They all start drinking beer and taking pictures, goofing off and stuff like that. The moderator asked George about it, he had this great line: "War is hell until it becomes a party." That stays with me. George was very insightful of human nature like that.

Hope you enjoy The Thing soundtrack.

Oh yeah? Well, I know that one song  of Carpenter Brut's. If you check it out, you'll have gained all my knowledge as well.

Diary of the dead is definitely worth seeing for a Romero fan and was imo  best zombie film he did before he passed away. Rip george. For me it was a creative take on the genre with some fun moments. 

Yeah definitely George was insightful about the human condition. His films wouldn't have worked without that imo, and thanks for that info. His films definitely had a fun element which people liked including me and I'm guessing you too. 

Thanks for info re night of the living dead of the dead. May be worth another watch. Re dawn of dead, Tom savini knows special effects so well and George was wise to largely let him crack on with it. 

The thing soundtrack will definitely check more of that one 

Re carpenter brut. Yeah I know of song you mentioned and others from free album. Tbh don't listen to it that much which is shame as it's got good qualities. 

The film I've wanted to see for long time is the 1986 version of the fly. Looks like an interesting idea.anyone else seen this. 

Of course the alien films are good. I'm sure they count at sci fi horror. I've only seen alien and aliens. Didn't see others. Aliens is my favourite. So much action. Never lets up. So many classic scenes from the android playing that game with a knife to the final alien battle. Quality. From when I actually enjoyed James Cameron films. 😆Also Is alien 3 film good. Anybody seen that 

Ok, here is my top ten (off the top of my head at least):

01 The Shining
02 The Langoliers
03 The Stand
04 Wishmaster 4
05 House 2
06 Exorcist: The Beginning
07 Prometheus
09 Event Horizon
08 Freddy vs Jason
10 Troll

(those are the films that I honestly enjoy the most, as opposed to thinking they are necessarily good as such... indeed, some of them are thoroughly silly :))

• 1 month later...

Dagon is probably my all time favorite horror movie. 

I watch all the Hellraiser movies every couple of years. 

I like The Return Of The Living Dead movies. The paramedics informing those guys that they are dead as they get  rigor mortis, brilliant. Zombies should run around calling out "Brains! Brains"! 

VIdeodrome is awesome. Cannibal Holocaust is beyond amazing. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2021 at 11:24 PM, Innominate said:

innominate are you looking forward to George Romero's final film being released. twilight of the dead.  obviously it will be different as he cant direct for obvious reasons and the script was not fully finished by him. his wife is overseeing and approving the script which is done now. it will be different but im looking forward to it. ill see it without paying attention to reviews.  🥊😁 could be risky but romero zombie films are nearly always really good. 

On 2/28/2021 at 6:21 PM, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

The film I've wanted to see for long time is the 1986 version of the fly. Looks like an interesting idea.anyone else seen this. 

Cronenburg's The Fly is awesome. The guy is the king of body horror and The Fly has some really great practical effects (think The Thing). Plus, it's very entertaining.

I recently rewatched exZistenz and while mainly a mainstream thriller, there was some nice uncomfortable effects, especially the organic game pods. But my favourite Cronenburg film is definitely Videodrome.