Exodus

Ikard

Not sure if there is already an Exodus thread already. I'm sure there is, I just couldn't find it when I searched. As I mentioned in the Recent Aquisitions thread I just picked up Exhibit B: The Human Condition on tape last night. What's your favorite Exodus album?

3 hours ago, BlutAusNerd said:

Fabulous Disaster. That bizarre riffing and drumming cadence combined with those venomous Zetro vocal lines trumps the more straightforward assault of Bonded By Blood for me.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

I really, really dug Bonded by Blood as well as Exhibit B. Will check out Fabulous Disaster. 

Will do. I believe it, I have yet to hear bad exodus. Wish I could say that about just about any of the big 4.
They lost their way a bit after Fabulous Disaster, but the Rob Dukes led stuff is probably their worst material, and even most of that is decent if you don't mind groove metal.

41 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

They lost their way a bit after Fabulous Disaster, but the Rob Dukes led stuff is probably their worst material, and even most of that is decent if you don't mind groove metal.

Not typically my preference but mostly because Pantera left a bad taste in my mouth. But I suppose that's based on ideology rather than musical preference.

Is it just me, or do all these Bay Area vocalists sort of sound the same. Exodus, Metallica, Testament. It's all the same guy. 
Some of them use the same techniques, but they all sound different. I never pegged you as much of a thrasher though, so maybe with less interest comes a more samey vibe from them.

Bonded by Blood is my favorite of theirs, it's also the only Exodus line-up with a vocalist I can stomach.  Bonded by Blood is probably #2 to Slayer's Reign in Blood for greatest thrash album of all time (in my humble opinion).
I've never understood that mentality. I would never accuse RiB of being the best Slayer album, let alone any kind of masterpiece. Dry production, half-baked songs and ideas, horrible album flow, I don't get the appeal. It has some good riffs and drumming on it, but it seems like fragmented pieces of a thrash album put into a blender and poured out, only half of the mix is left in the blender after the mix is poured out and served.

31 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

Some of them use the same techniques, but they all sound different. I never pegged you as much of a thrasher though, so maybe with less interest comes a more samey vibe from them.

I've never understood that mentality. I would never accuse RiB of being the best Slayer album, let alone any kind of masterpiece. Dry production, half-baked songs and ideas, horrible album flow, I don't get the appeal. It has some good riffs and drumming on it, but it seems like fragmented pieces of a thrash album put into a blender and poured out, only half of the mix is left in the blender after the mix is poured out and served.

I liked Reign in Blood but I would agree it's far from their best work. 

Additionally, I cannot understand how Exodus and Metallica sound anything alike, please elaborate.

50 minutes ago, Ikard said:

Additionally, I cannot understand how Exodus and Metallica sound anything alike, please elaborate.

You don’t think ‘Bonded by Blood’ sounds just a teeny weeny bit like ‘Kill em All’? You don’t think they sound ‘anything alike’?

I also reckon Chuck Billy sounds a bit like Hetfield with that mid-range bark back in the 90s.

None of you guys hear this?

You don’t think ‘Bonded by Blood’ sounds just a teeny weeny bit like ‘Kill em All’? You don’t think they sound ‘anything alike’?
I also reckon Chuck Billy sounds a bit like Hetfield with that mid-range bark back in the 90s.
Testament definitely imitated Metallica's mid-paced melodic thrash sound, and while Chuck does use a lot of those same techniques as Hetfield, he has a much better voice and is nowhere near as cheesy. He used a lot more range and doesn't sound monotonous like Hetfield. The bands obviously have some basic similarities from playing the same genre at the same time and sharing members, but it's weird to think of Zetro fronting Legacy (pre-Testament) with his more snarly Bon Scott on speed kind of tone and delivery. Kill 'em All and Bonded By Blood have a similar guitar tone and some riffing similarities, but Kirk Hammett did jump the Exodus ship to replace Mustaine and took riffs from Trapped Under Ice to Metallica with him, which were from the Exodus song Impaler.

In short? Yes and no. There are similarities (as there usually are within a regional scene), but I don't think it's as cut and dry as "they all sound the same".

1 hour ago, Requiem said:

Upon listening again I hear more similarities. I don't think their the same but I'll concede similarity in style.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2017 at 10:20 PM, BlutAusNerd said:

RiB is easily Slayer's best release.  All the excess is seared off, but without aggression lost or the compositions suffering.  The song order and flow sounds very organic to me.  Also love the production.

Are you not a big thrash guy?  If you're more dm/bm-leaning I can see why you'd dislike RiB...

On 12/15/2017 at 10:53 PM, Ikard said:

In your opinion what is Slayer's best effort?

"All of the excess is sheared off", like the lengthy intros that build atmosphere and context, setting the stage for you to be ripped apart by an onslaught of riffs? I would say that the songwriting absolutely suffers because of this. Other than Angel of Death, all of the songs sound like you dropped the needle down on the vinyl in the middle of the song, and the a pop knocks it out of the groove and lands partway through the next song, skipping the ending. There are still some tasty riffs on it, but nowhere near the quantity or quality of those on Hell Awaits or Show No Mercy. That dry production doesn't do them any favors either.

As far as tastes go, black, death, doom, and thrash metal are my most listened to genres. I have hundreds of albums in all of those styles, from more mainstream releases to underground rarities. Hell Awaits did occupy a spot in my thrash Top 10 list prior to finding albums that I liked better. Even in my teenage years, I always favored other Slayer albums over RiB.

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 1:02 PM, TilDeathDoUsBarf said:

RiB is easily Slayer's best release.  All the excess is seared off, but without aggression lost or the compositions suffering.  The song order and flow sounds very organic to me.  Also love the production.

Are you not a big thrash guy?  If you're more dm/bm-leaning I can see why you'd dislike RiB...

For me its always been Hell Awaits. Always and forever. But once again, I love RIB just not my favorite. 

On 12/31/2017 at 7:02 AM, TilDeathDoUsBarf said:

For a long time 'Reign in Blood' and 'Slaughter of the Soul' were considered, in Terrorizer Magazine, the best metal albums of the 80s and 90s respectively, and @BlutAusNerd doesn't like either of them. He's a true rebel. If you like 'RiB', stick to your guns. He likes old stuff better than new stuff. 

For a long time 'Reign in Blood' and 'Slaughter of the Soul' were considered, in Terrorizer Magazine, the best metal albums of the 80s and 90s respectively, and [mention=5429]BlutAusNerd[/mention] doesn't like either of them. He's a true rebel. If you like 'RiB', stick to your guns. He likes old stuff better than new stuff. 
I like Reign in Blood, but it's the 80's Slayer album that I like and listen to the least. I don't care for Slaughter of the Soul though. It bored me so much that I literally fell asleep at the wheel while giving it a third or fourth chance in my car, and traded it in after that.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

On 12/30/2017 at 3:50 PM, BlutAusNerd said:

"All of the excess is sheared off", like the lengthy intros that build atmosphere and context, setting the stage for you to be ripped apart by an onslaught of riffs? I would say that the songwriting absolutely suffers because of this. Other than Angel of Death, all of the songs sound like you dropped the needle down on the vinyl in the middle of the song, and the a pop knocks it out of the groove and lands partway through the next song, skipping the ending. There are still some tasty riffs on it, but nowhere near the quantity or quality of those on Hell Awaits or Show No Mercy. That dry production doesn't do them any favors either.

Not every metal album needs to be atmospheric and have lengthy intros.  The 80s were a time where metal genre boundaries were more fluid than we often think nowadays (in many cases totally preceding contemp conceptions of metal subgenres in general), there was a great deal of influence between different kinds of underground music, and willingness to engage new ideas...  There's definitely a heavy dose of hardcore influence on RiB. 

What you likely experience as unpleasant is precisely what so many find charming about it...

17 hours ago, Requiem said:

For a long time 'Reign in Blood' and 'Slaughter of the Soul' were considered, in Terrorizer Magazine, the best metal albums of the 80s and 90s respectively, and @BlutAusNerd doesn't like either of them. He's a true rebel. If you like 'RiB', stick to your guns. He likes old stuff better than new stuff. 

It's always been a controversial album.  They experienced some trouble over "Angel of Death" if I recall correctly.  The album is incredibly punchy, quirky and stripped down.  I see it as the quintessence of thrash metal, but again, I'm a big crossover and hardcore fan so my idea of a great thrash album is colored by that side of 80s underground music as well.  But thank you for your input.

It's always been a controversial album.  They experienced some trouble over "Angel of Death" if I recall correctly.  The album is incredibly punchy, quirky and stripped down.  I see it as the quintessence of thrash metal, but again, I'm a big crossover and hardcore fan so my idea of a great thrash album is colored by that side of 80s underground music as well.  But thank you for your input.
Oh course not every album needs that, but you said they stripped out the excess, and I couldn't imagine calling those passages on Hell Awaits "excess". It sounds more dry than punchy to me, and it sounds more incomplete than "quirky". I tend to favor the weirder side of metal, so "quirky" is my cup of tea, but half songs just feel wrong. I'm certain that this half-baked approach is why some people revere it, but it doesn't click with me. Whether you enjoy it or not though, calling it "the quintessential thrash album" is a bit of a head-scratcher, since it's admittedly one-dimensional and there are a lot of albums that do what it does better and with complete songs.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk