Evertune bridges

deathstorm

Hey guys there is a new company out called evertune bridges  a lot bands are using that system bands like korn , trivium and esp guitars has a couple of guitars with those bridges  they are being highly prised by the players who use them they cost around $300.00  they help keep your guitar in tune  @FatherAlabaster @ChainsawAkimbo You guys should look into this 

22 minutes ago, deathstorm said:

Hey guys there is a new company out called evertune bridges  a lot bands are using that system bands like korn , trivium and esp guitars has a couple of guitars with those bridges  they are being highly prised by the players who use them they cost around $300.00  they help keep your guitar in tune  @FatherAlabaster @ChainsawAkimbo You guys should look into this 

I first heard of it maybe 4 years ago or so, it is interesting.. but just willing to even consider the price is out of the question for me.. 

22 minutes ago, deathstorm said:

Thanks for telling me that the bridge is 4 years old  Still a new one that’s out 

Guitar players are some of the worse people to adopt new ideas and concepts, there are few guys who use it these days.. it´s unlikely it will become hugely popular until they partner even with more companies to get their product out there. They need plenty of guitar models out there available with their bridge, it´s unlikely people start upgrading their beloved instruments with this "contraption". (I know it works great, but it still is a contraption) It´s far more likely that someone would buy a new guitar with the bridge. 

They have been around for many years, and all that time their bridge has been marketed and commented as being a real game changer.. Yet the progress has been really slow. Guitar players just aren´t huge on new things.. (see what happened with Gibsons robo tuner ie.) I´m not yet sure if they´ve realised that in this particular market, an amazing product just might not be enough to become a true success. 

But then again.. what do i know? Maybe in 20 years most guitars have an evertune bridge. :D 

13 minutes ago, ChainsawAkimbo said:

Guitar players are some of the worse people to adopt new ideas and concepts, there are few guys who use it these days.. it´s unlikely it will become hugely popular until they partner even with more companies to get their product out there. They need plenty of guitar models out there available with their bridge, it´s unlikely people start upgrading their beloved instruments with this "contraption". (I know it works great, but it still is a contraption) It´s far more likely that someone would buy a new guitar with the bridge. 

They have been around for many years, and all that time their bridge has been marketed and commented as being a real game changer.. Yet the progress has been really slow. Guitar players just aren´t huge on new things.. (see what happened with Gibsons robo tuner ie.) I´m not yet sure if they´ve realised that in this particular market, an amazing product just might not be enough to become a true success. 

But then again.. what do i know? Maybe in 20 years most guitars have an evertune bridge. :D 

That’s true  hi know guitar players are picky people  I check there website. They have a few companies using there bridges Ibanez  prs vrg guitars esp fender jackson and Washburn are using there bridges  they listing them as pre installed  

56 minutes ago, deathstorm said:

That’s true  hi know guitar players are picky people  I check there website. They have a few companies using there bridges Ibanez  prs vrg guitars esp fender jackson and Washburn are using there bridges  they listing them as pre installed  

They sell some models in their website with it preinstalled, but the only companies applying their bridges in their lineup straight from factory are ESP, Washburn and Warwick. There is just not enough to choose from currently.. Only 1 Ibanez model, 1 Jackson, 1 PRS.. Fender has 4. Then theres the issue that the cheapest one available is 900$.. thats a bit of a barrier especially if you don´t have the ability to try it out somewhere first. It takes a certain mentality to put nearly 1000$ bucks on trying something new you might not like. There is a returning policy, but theres a fee (15% of the price of the guitar + shipping) making it a hugely expensive way to just try it out.. It means you lose easily 200$ or more.

1 hour ago, ChainsawAkimbo said:

They sell some models in their website with it preinstalled, but the only companies applying their bridges in their lineup straight from factory are ESP, Washburn and Warwick. There is just not enough to choose from currently.. Only 1 Ibanez model, 1 Jackson, 1 PRS.. Fender has 4. Then theres the issue that the cheapest one available is 900$.. thats a bit of a barrier especially if you don´t have the ability to try it out somewhere first. It takes a certain mentality to put nearly 1000$ bucks on trying something new you might not like. There is a returning policy, but theres a fee (15% of the price of the guitar + shipping) making it a hugely expensive way to just try it out.. It means you lose easily 200$ or more.

That’s true 

The other issue with an Evertune is that you have to modify your guitar by cutting out wood to accommodate it. That's a big step to take with a good instrument, and hardly worth the labor and money for a cheap instrument. Not to mention that you're then stuck with whatever effect the bridge has on tone and sustain.  I can see where it might be useful for some touring musicians, or as a fun thing to have around if you've got several instruments to choose from, but by and large I think it's a solution in search of a problem. I have played with one briefly before, and wasn't thrilled with the feel.

I'd be interested to hear some input from actual Evertune owners.

Yeah exactly. One more issue to add to the list, is that it´s not possible to swap tuning easily from ie. E-standard to drop D (or whatever) anymore. A couple second tuning change is suddenly much more complex operation. I´d love to get my hands on one though. First hand experience always beats everything else.

12 minutes ago, ChainsawAkimbo said:

Yeah exactly. One more issue to add to the list, is that it´s not possible to swap tuning easily from ie. E-standard to drop D (or whatever) anymore. A couple second tuning change is suddenly much more complex operation. I´d love to get my hands on one though. First hand experience always beats everything else.

Just have your tech set your other custom-modified Gibson to drop D and make sure your roadies know when to bring it onstage. Problem solved. :D

18 minutes ago, deathstorm said:

Guys I didn’t know that evertune bridges are a pain a to install 

It´s a good topic. Maybe we hear from someone with proper experience with the bridge at some point. Theres always youtube and internet but i´d like to hear experiences from a regular dude who maybe has couple guitars and not a massive budget to spend. :)

I bought the LTD MH-1007ET (which has an Evertune bridge) a couple months ago and I'm pretty fond of it. The bridge keeping strings in tune isn't really anything to write home about, as that's more an issue of convenience than anything, but it also has a few positive effects on the general playability of the instrument which may be of value.

First off, when you pluck a string it helps tame the initial pitch jump (where the string briefly goes sharp before settling back down), since the saddle compensates for the string stretching (if you have it tuned at the very edge of the upper range of the 'active' zone, and unplug your guitar, you can actually hear the saddle 'buzzing' against the bend stop while it does this). This is most noticeable for those who tend to hit their strings pretty hard, and/or use very low tunings.

It also helps keep the higher frets more in tune, preventing the sharpness and dissonance that comes from applying too much pressure or accidentally bending strings a bit.

The fact that each string is handled independently from all the others is a nice bonus. If a string breaks, it doesn't affect the pitch of any of the others. You can also customize the zone setting for each string, so you can use the midrange of the active zone for low strings (giving them optimal pitch stability and completely eliminating bending, accidental or not), while setting the higher strings closer to the top edge of the active zone for bending.

Supposedly the evertune's tension compensation has a slight reduction effect on the guitar's sustain, and if that ends up being a real issue it's always possible to tune individual saddles lower and bringing the strings above the zone to disable the evertune entirely for specific (e.g. high E) strings, while leaving it engaged for the others. I can't personally say I've noticed any lack of sustain on my MH-1007, but my playing style isn't one where I'd have much opportunity to, so take that with a grain of salt.

Of course, some of the effects it addresses could also be handled by changing technique or instrument setup (e.g. putting more effort into precise fretting, strumming/picking lighter), but overall I'd say it offers a net positive effect. There are still reasons people might not want it, for example folks concerned about the routing that has to be done to install one, or folks who are super concerned about whatever effect it might be having on sustain or tone, or simply can't weigh the (subjectively) minor benefits against whatever added cost it might have on the guitar.

I'd say for anyone interested but skeptical, try to find one to try out and see what you think, though they're rare enough that i also realize that would be rather...difficult for most.

• 3 months later...

Hello I wanted to chime in and give my 2 cents about the Evertune bridge.

First off I think it's a brilliant bridge because it lets you play gigs without looking at a tuner between songs. You can be engaging with the audience at all times. It also is a huge pleasure to record with. Just grab it, and record. You dont need to look at tuner before starting, but more importantly, you dont have to look at tuner between every take. 

Now I'm good at making my "regular bridge guitars" (hartails and Floyd Roses) to stay well in tune, but I still look at tuner all the time when recording because if it's just 1 cent off I have to adjust it. 

I have installed Evertune on one of my guitars myself. It's definitely not something you do if you dont know what you're doing but I've installed Floyd Roses on guitars and this is actually easier than Floyd installs. You dont have to be super precise with stud locations etc, just make sure the bridge sits where should and you're ready to go. 

Here's a comparison video of my guitar before and after I installed the Evertune.  

Difference in tone? Nothing to honestly care about. It's so small you can barely hear it. You will only hear it if you want to.

Difference in sustain? Absolutely. It loses sustain. NOT BECAUSE OF WOOD REMOVAL. That's a common misconception. The saddles have basically no contact with anything so thats the reason. It's the actual bridge design. But I'm totally cool with it. It lets me play and record for hours without having to tune. 

How often do you really need to have a note hanging on for more than 2-3 seconds? 

Thats the higher notes too, I'm talking about. The lower notes are definitely OK.

But it's not going to have the sustain of a Floyd Rose or hardtail because that's just how it is. 

I've tried several Evertune guitars, both retrofitted, factory installed and custom made. They all have worse sustain than regular bridges. But the tuning stability is worth it.

On 3/15/2018 at 12:56 AM, Rocka_Rollas said:

Hello I wanted to chime in and give my 2 cents about the Evertune bridge.

First off I think it's a brilliant bridge because it lets you play gigs without looking at a tuner between songs. You can be engaging with the audience at all times. It also is a huge pleasure to record with. Just grab it, and record. You dont need to look at tuner before starting, but more importantly, you dont have to look at tuner between every take. 

Now I'm good at making my "regular bridge guitars" (hartails and Floyd Roses) to stay well in tune, but I still look at tuner all the time when recording because if it's just 1 cent off I have to adjust it. 

I have installed Evertune on one of my guitars myself. It's definitely not something you do if you dont know what you're doing but I've installed Floyd Roses on guitars and this is actually easier than Floyd installs. You dont have to be super precise with stud locations etc, just make sure the bridge sits where should and you're ready to go. 

Here's a comparison video of my guitar before and after I installed the Evertune.  

Difference in tone? Nothing to honestly care about. It's so small you can barely hear it. You will only hear it if you want to.

Difference in sustain? Absolutely. It loses sustain. NOT BECAUSE OF WOOD REMOVAL. That's a common misconception. The saddles have basically no contact with anything so thats the reason. It's the actual bridge design. But I'm totally cool with it. It lets me play and record for hours without having to tune. 

How often do you really need to have a note hanging on for more than 2-3 seconds? 

Thats the higher notes too, I'm talking about. The lower notes are definitely OK.

But it's not going to have the sustain of a Floyd Rose or hardtail because that's just how it is. 

I've tried several Evertune guitars, both retrofitted, factory installed and custom made. They all have worse sustain than regular bridges. But the tuning stability is worth it.

Thanks for your output 

13 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

I'm less and less tempted the more I hear about them, but I'm happy to hear the knowledgeable folks chime in nonetheless.

Sustain is a definite worry, and at least i can hear rather clear difference in tone too, sounds bit lifeless. But with the hugely diverse weather around here, it should make things a lot more convenient for me. Guitars just hate Finland.. :/

55 minutes ago, ChainsawAkimbo said:

Sustain is a definite worry, and at least i can hear rather clear difference in tone too, sounds bit lifeless. But with the hugely diverse weather around here, it should make things a lot more convenient for me. Guitars just hate Finland.. :/

I've put a lot into my Explorer to get the tone I want. It's been a matter of lots of small increments pushing it over the finish line. I wouldn't be willing to sacrifice that for tuning stability, I don't have a problem with tuning or intonation anyway. But that's just me, wouldn't knock anyone who went that route.

23 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

I've put a lot into my Explorer to get the tone I want. It's been a matter of lots of small increments pushing it over the finish line. I wouldn't be willing to sacrifice that for tuning stability, I don't have a problem with tuning or intonation anyway. But that's just me, wouldn't knock anyone who went that route.

That would be madness to ruin a guitar like that! :D Getting another guitar with preinstalled evertune is the only imaginable route i would go. :)