Denim or leather (vest wise, patches)

SOVTEKslave

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

So how many of you have battle jackets? What are your opinions of them? If you do have one or more where did you get it? And where did you get your patches/pins/blah blah fuckin blah. One day when I get a decent amount of money (after I get more guitar shit) I wanna make a fuckin vest, denim. I got a leather jacket, but it's more of a winter jacket, with all the fuckin insulation in it. SO yeah.

With all the fuckin goin on, I think I may be fuckin, a tad fuckin bit intoxicated. Fuckin. Fuck fuckity fucking fuck, But anyways, VESTS, I wanna know, good places, to get them, and not the stupid walmart shit that makes you look like a fucking douch. Mkay?

Holy fucking whiskey farts!

I have a denim battlevest (no patches as of yet). Found the jacket in a second-hand shop and cut off the sleeves. I think they have the potential to look pretty cool or pretty shitty depending on how you wear them, the arrangement of patches etc. They do make you look a little like a tool trying to reinforce 80's stereotypes but it makes you easy to pick out as a metalhead, plus you can wear the merch of about 50 bands at once (and if you thinks it's cool, fuck what people think). You can get patches and badges from some merch stores (for instance Highway to Hell in Melbourne) or eBay depending on how picky you want to be and money. Also some special edition albums come with patches.

• 7 months later...

^ Looks cool. I had one when I was about 14-15 years old, just a Levi denim jacket that I cut the sleeves off of. I had maybe 6 patches on it. I liked it because my portable CD player fit inside the inner pocket and I could walk around listening to music. Some vests look alright, some of them look like someone is trying too hard, guess it depends.

On 8/8/2017 at 7:06 PM, morbidspectre said:

^ Looks cool. I had one when I was about 14-15 years old, just a Levi denim jacket that I cut the sleeves off of. I had maybe 6 patches on it. I liked it because my portable CD player fit inside the inner pocket and I could walk around listening to music. Some vests look alright, some of them look like someone is trying too hard, guess it depends.

Yeah true. I like the look of getting the full sleeve denim jacket, then cutting off the sleeves yourself. 

I would like to put some more patches on this bad boy, but its kinda hard to find room for any. Guess I might have to start putting them on the front? I have a small Morbid Angel and a Mercyful Fate patch I'd like to use. 

14 hours ago, PvtHudson206 said:

Yeah true. I like the look of getting the full sleeve denim jacket, then cutting off the sleeves yourself. 

I would like to put some more patches on this bad boy, but its kinda hard to find room for any. Guess I might have to start putting them on the front? I have a small Morbid Angel and a Mercyful Fate patch I'd like to use. 

Hmm... On the front, over the top of the pockets is an easy place to stitch them on. This sounds obvious but I'd say put the patches wherever they look right or seem to fit well on the vest, that's what gives 'em character. It can be a fun project to make those, just how they come together over time.

20 minutes ago, morbidspectre said:

Hmm... On the front, over the top of the pockets is an easy place to stitch them on. This sounds obvious but I'd say put the patches wherever they look right or seem to fit well on the vest, that's what gives 'em character. It can be a fun project to make those, just how they come together over time.

Yeah I really do wanna grab some more patches and sit down and just cover the fuckin thing, but it's kinda hard for me to find free time for something like that now days unfortunately..  

At the very least I need to get those Morbid Angel and Mercyful Fate patches on. It's a damn crime for me to have those things and not get 'em the hell on there! 

• 4 weeks later...

Charity/Thrift shops are probably your best bet, they're normally pretty cheap in there. I found that cutting the sleeves off with a small saw blade, like a hacksaw or the little one you get on a swiss army knife, makes the edges look pretty rough and cool if thats your thing. For me cutting them off with scissors leaves too neat an edge.

As for patches, i normally get mine from ebay, concerts or festivals. Festivals are the best bet i found, most of the merch stalls will have deals on. There was one stall at bloodstock this year that had 5 for £10 or something like that. The only problem with stuff like that is you may not be able to find a specific patch you want, if you just want one of "x" band you'll probably be fine, but if you want one of a specific album ebay is probably a better shout. That or look on the record label sites, they normally have a pretty good stock of patches for their bands.

I would stay away from printed patches though, they tend to wear out pretty quick and crack or peel if you're not careful. I only get printed ones if i want a specific album and the artwork is too complex for embroidered patches.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys.

Recently I started collecting patches and thought about buying vest to sew them on. But I've been bugged by the question of what material should the vest be - denim or leather. I like leather, at least I've worn it more than denim..it's been so long not wearing denim that I don't remember how it feels (which is maybe why I thought about bringing it back in my apparel).
Anyway, what are your personal experiences with them? I've read the "Denim vs. Leather" thread, but still haven't got enough info. The main thing that interests me is which one looks good after being worn. I know leather can get wrinkeled and torn after certain time, but what about denim. Does it only bleach out?
Btw (important), denim wise, I'd only look for black denim (even if I have to get it custom made) because most of my apparel doesn't match classic denim...and I'm not much of a fan of the blue color.

So, what are your experiences, advices, suggestions?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MOD NOTE - Merged this with 3 existing threads and promoted it as should be a real crowd pleaser, thanks for reigniting the debate Duke.

6 hours ago, natassja7 said:

I have an old denim cut off with most of my patches on that I wear on top of my leather. You can pick up cool old fucked denim jackets from the charity shop. Easier to sew patches on too.

Photo please. 

6 hours ago, DukeThylacine said:

Note: I thought about posting this in the Denim vs. Leather thread, but that thread kind died out and I have some more specific questions here. If admins disagree with me, delete this thread and I'll post this there instead.
Also the reason I posted in Off-Topic is because this is more of a fashion than music thing.

Hey guys.

Recently I started collecting patches and thought about buying vest to sew them on. But I've been bugged by the question of what material should the vest be - denim or leather. I like leather, at least I've worn it more than denim..it's been so long not wearing denim that I don't remember how it feels (which is maybe why I thought about bringing it back in my apparel).
Anyway, what are your personal experiences with them? I've read the "Denim vs. Leather" thread, but still haven't got enough info. The main thing that interests me is which one looks good after being worn. I know leather can get wrinkeled and torn after certain time, but what about denim. Does it only bleach out?
Btw (important), denim wise, I'd only look for black denim (even if I have to get it custom made) because most of my apparel doesn't match classic denim...and I'm not much of a fan of the blue color.

So, what are your experiences, advices, suggestions?

I would definitely go with denim if you're going to put patches on it. Leather is cool but surely patches look better on denim. I wouldn't really know as I tend to wear Armani and Gucci. 

• 5 months later...

That's an easy one...leather!!!!

I love the look of leather, the texture of leather, and the smell of leather. Got two leather jackets...a quite fancy one and one that looks like it's been through a nuclear holocaust *lol*

As a punk I used to wear a leather mini skirt too and in the late 1990's and early 2000's custom made leather jeans and top...I wore the things to death *lol* The leather jeans did wonders for my youth rheumatism because they kept the damp cold away from my left knee and were also good for walking about and sitting down in the forest.

I have never been that crazy about denim, though.

Currently on the lookout for a leather corset, so if this geenie can fix that, it would be great :grin:

Talking about leather, makes me think of something closely related to it, too. Got a suddenly urge to listen to Vice Squad - Latex Love.

• 9 months later...