Picks for Tremolo Picking

Balor

Dunlop Tortex (standard shape) are my go-to, the orange ones if I'm doing a lot of tremolo picking, the (slightly thicker) yellow ones if I'm playing thicker strings or want a beefier attack. I know people who like their picks a lot thicker and prefer the more pointy ones, though - it comes down to technique, developed through practice. Like the old saying goes, "we shape our tools, and they, in turn, shape us."

6 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Dunlop Tortex (standard shape) are my go-to, the orange ones if I'm doing a lot of tremolo picking, the (slightly thicker) yellow ones if I'm playing thicker strings or want a beefier attack. I know people who like their picks a lot thicker and prefer the more pointy ones, though - it comes down to technique, developed through practice. Like the old saying goes, "we shape our tools, and they, in turn, shape us."

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 1/3/2019 at 5:52 PM, Hiwatt said:

I use the Dunlop XL Jazz III series picks.  They will help you play faster.

JAZZ III MASTER RACE.

I tend more towards the regular jazz IIIs than the XL ones though, especially for tremolo picking or sting jumping stuff.

• 1 year later...

They used to say to use as heavy a pick as possible so that there is no give in the pick and it just cuts through the string. I never found that to be true in my case. But I just read an interview with Paul Gilbert where he says he used to use heavy picks for the reason I just mentioned but started using lighter picks and find them easier. YMMV. 

• 9 months later...

As a long time guitar teacher I say, go buy super light picks all the way to the big thick dunlop Jazz picks. Grab a different one of each thickness, then try them out. Everyones hand is a little different in how they move and pick. I can do some things with the super light picks I cant do with super heavy picks and some things only with the tip of my nail on my index finger like pinch harmonics without a pick. light picks can make sweeps weird, and truly flying with 32nd notes sometimes needs the old fender medium picks, why do I use those? I personally grip the writing on one side when i'm sweating, nothing else feels right. So picks are super personal.

As a guide go with what feels best, only you know, kind of a discovery you have to make for yourself.

Great excuse to go into a music store and play with gear too

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join Metal Forum

joinus-home.jpg

• Our picks

• Whichever tier of thrash metal you consigned Sacred Reich back in the 80's/90's they still had their moments.  "Ignorance" & "Surf Nicaragura" did a great job of establishing the band, whereas "The American Way" just got a little to comfortable and accessible (the title track grates nowadays) for my ears.  A couple more records better left forgotten about and then nothing for twenty three years.  2019 alone has now seen three releases from Phil Rind and co.  A live EP, a split EP with Iron Reagan and now a full length.

Notable addition to the ranks for the current throng of releases is former Machine Head sticksman, Dave McClean.  Love or hate Machine Head, McClean is a more than capable drummer and his presence here is felt from the off with the opening and title track kicking things off with some real gusto.  'Divide & Conquer' and 'Salvation' muddle along nicely, never quite reaching any quality that would make my balls tingle but comfortable enough.  The looming build to 'Manifest Reality' delivers a real punch when the song starts proper.  Frenzied riffs and drums with shots of lead work to hold the interest.

There's a problem already though (I know, I am such a fucking mood hoover).  I don't like Phil's vocals.  I never had if I am being honest.  The aggression to them seems a little forced even when they are at their best on tracks like 'Manifest Reality'.  When he tries to sing it just feels weak though ('Salvation') and tracks lose real punch.  Give him a riffy number such as 'Killing Machine' and he is fine with the Reich engine (probably a poor choice of phrase) up in sixth gear.  For every thrashy riff there's a fair share of rock edged, local bar act rhythm aplenty too.

Let's not poo-poo proceedings though, because overall I actually enjoy "Awakening".  It is stacked full of catchy riffs that are sticky on the old ears.  Whilst not as raw as perhaps the - brilliant - artwork suggests with its black and white, tattoo flash sheet style design it is enjoyable enough.  Yes, 'Death Valley' & 'Something to Believe' have no place here, saved only by Arnett and Radziwill's lead work but 'Revolution' is a fucking 80's thrash heyday throwback to the extent that if you turn the TV on during it you might catch a new episode of Cheers!

3/5
      • Reputation Points

• 10 replies
    • I
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/52-vltimas-something-wicked-marches-in/
      • Reputation Points

• 3 replies

• https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/48-candlemass-the-door-to-doom/
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • Full length number 19 from overkill certainly makes a splash in the energy stakes, I mean there's some modern thrash bands that are a good two decades younger than Overkill who can only hope to achieve the levels of spunk that New Jersey's finest produce here.  That in itself is an achievement, for a band of Overkill's stature and reputation to be able to still sound relevant four decades into their career is no mean feat.  Even in the albums weaker moments it never gets redundant and the energy levels remain high.  There's a real sense of a band in a state of some renewed vigour, helped in no small part by the addition of Jason Bittner on drums.  The former Flotsam & Jetsam skinsman is nothing short of superb throughout "The Wings of War" and seems to have squeezed a little extra out of the rest of his peers.

The album kicks of with a great build to opening track "Last Man Standing" and for the first 4 tracks of the album the Overkill crew stomp, bash and groove their way to a solid level of consistency.  The lead work is of particular note and Blitz sounds as sneery and scathing as ever.  The album is well produced and mixed too with all parts of the thrash machine audible as the five piece hammer away at your skull with the usual blend of chugging riffs and infectious anthems.  

There are weak moments as mentioned but they are more a victim of how good the strong tracks are.  In it's own right "Distortion" is a solid enough - if not slightly varied a journey from the last offering - but it just doesn't stand up well against a "Bat Shit Crazy" or a "Head of a Pin".  As the album draws to a close you get the increasing impression that the last few tracks are rescued really by some great solos and stomping skin work which is a shame because trimming of a couple of tracks may have made this less obvious. 

4/5
      • Reputation Points

• 4 replies