Welcome to Metal Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

28 posts in this topic

I listen to punk when I'm not listening to metal. Does anyone here like punk? If so, name your favorite artist and song. My favorite punk band is Black Flag, and my favorite Black Flag song is Nervous Breakdown.

morbidspectre and natassja7 gave this Horns Up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hell yeah. It's hard to decide on an overall favorite, but for now I'll go with Dead Kennedys' "Forward to Death" closely tied with the Crucifucks' "Pig in a Blanket"

"Nervous Breakdown" is a classic. Keith Morris was brilliant on that song.

MetalheadFromBama and natassja7 gave this Horns Up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Black Flag, DK are great. I really love early Misfits, Descendents, Poison Idea, Exploited, GBH and The Clash to name a few.

morbidspectre gave this Horns Up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like really old British punk like the early stuff from The Damned, The Buzzcocks etc. and UK82 punk like The Anti-Nowhere League, Vice Squad etc. But any punk later than 1970's punkrock/UK82 style such as hardcore or neo-punk...nah, never mind!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2017 at 1:10 AM, morbidspectre said:

Hell yeah. It's hard to decide on an overall favorite, but for now I'll go with Dead Kennedys' "Forward to Death" closely tied with the Crucifucks' "Pig in a Blanket"

"Nervous Breakdown" is a classic. Keith Morris was brilliant on that song.

I think Keith Morris did great on the Nervous Breakdown album. It's hard to decide whether he or Henry Rollins was the better vocalist for Black Flag. I guess it depends on what song it is.

On 7/8/2017 at 10:23 AM, deathstorm said:

I like Green Day  offspring that's it 

Green Day and The Offspring are pretty good. I really liked Green Day back when I was in middle school. Now, I like more hardcore punk, but I still listen to Green Day every now and then. I love the Egyptian sounding part in The Offspring's Come Out And Play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2017 at 1:21 AM, natassja7 said:

Black Flag, DK are great. I really love early Misfits, Descendents, Poison Idea, Exploited, GBH and The Clash to name a few.

I've never been a huge fan of Dead Kennedys, but they have a few good songs. The Clash also have some really good songs. The earlier Misfits stuff is great. I wish the Misfits would get Glenn Danzig back on vocals instead of the frontman they have now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep I love The Misfits. I do like 'Famous Monsters' but it is the early stuff that I love the most. I am a big fan of Glenn's work in general.

MetalheadFromBama gave this Horns Up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2017 at 9:08 AM, MetalheadFromBama said:

I think Keith Morris did great on the Nervous Breakdown album. It's hard to decide whether he or Henry Rollins was the better vocalist for Black Flag. I guess it depends on what song it is.

That's true. I used to have My War and Damaged, but got rid of them for some reason. Still have In My Head. And yeah, can't bring up Keith without mentioning the Circle Jerks, another great band.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My mom just showed me footage of Johnny Lydon with PIL last year getting bottled in Chile. Fuckin disgraceful. He carried on like a trooper,  all respect to him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just watched that. Johnny had that look on his face right after it happened kinda like in the movies when a big guy gets punched in the face really hard but it doesn't affect him. Like "Now you're fucked." Yeah, Johnny's a pro.

natassja7 gave this Horns Up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, morbidspectre said:

I just watched that. Johnny had that look on his face right after it happened kinda like in the movies when a big guy gets punched in the face really hard but it doesn't affect him. Like "Now you're fucked." Yeah, Johnny's a pro.

Yeh...he's an intelligent guy too..shame years ago how 'journalists' and TV filth slagged him and the Pistols off when really he had more brains than the whole fuckin lot put together.

Anyone dig Poison Idea btw?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You two certainly seem to have a bit of punk knowledge. I enjoy the genre but have an extremely limited amount of it. Pretty much my punk diet consists of The Sex Pistols ('cause everyone knows the fuckin' Pistols), Misfits, The Buzzcocks, and Minor Threat. Could do with some more of this in my life honestly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

You two certainly seem to have a bit of punk knowledge. I enjoy the genre but have an extremely limited amount of it. Pretty much my punk diet consists of The Sex Pistols ('cause everyone knows the fuckin' Pistols), Misfits, The Buzzcocks, and Minor Threat. Could do with some more of this in my life honestly.

You need to listen to Poison Idea..like you heard 'The Badge' covered by Pantera? That's one of theirs (but ya probably know that :))  Dead Kennedys are awesome too, Jello Biafra had a cool side project called 'Lard' which I love. Al Jourgensen plays in it too. I have an old Sepultura VHS somewhere with Jello doing 'Holiday in Cambodia' with them it's awesome! Some of my fave Poison Idea are 'Kings of Punk' 'Feel the Darkness' 'Blank Blackout Vacant' and 'We Must Burn' if you are ever inclined to check them out :) 

morbidspectre gave this Horns Up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, natassja7 said:

 Jello Biafra had a cool side project called 'Lard' which I love.

Awesome. I used to listen to The Last Temptation of Reid quite a bit. That has a great Winston Smith cover too.

 

4 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

You two certainly seem to have a bit of punk knowledge. I enjoy the genre but have an extremely limited amount of it. Pretty much my punk diet consists of The Sex Pistols ('cause everyone knows the fuckin' Pistols), Misfits, The Buzzcocks, and Minor Threat. Could do with some more of this in my life honestly.

The Damned - Damned Damned Damned is classic, definitely worth checking out. More stuff: Fear - The Record, Black Flag's Everything Went Black, The First Four years (both are compilations of their early material before Henry came in on vocals) and Damaged. Also Circle Jerks - Group Sex, Bad Religion - How Could Hell Be Any Worse? Suicidal Tendencies - S/T, Bad Brains - S/T. There's more to list off if you like these and natassja's recommendations.

natassja7 gave this Horns Up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

God yeh The Damned..they actually played near me ages ago and I was lucky enough to get my Final Damnation vinyl signed by Dave and Capt.S they were really nice guys too.

What about The Dwarves? I got 'Fuck you up and Get Live' dvd.. is pretty nice :D  Poison Ideas 'Mating Walruses' dvd is sweet too.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2017 at 2:41 PM, natassja7 said:

God yeh The Damned..they actually played near me ages ago and I was lucky enough to get my Final Damnation vinyl signed by Dave and Capt.S they were really nice guys too.

What about The Dwarves? I got 'Fuck you up and Get Live' dvd.. is pretty nice :D  Poison Ideas 'Mating Walruses' dvd is sweet too.

 

That rules, were they in costume when you met them? They'd both be interesting to meet.

Ah, don't know the Dwarves all that well, although I should. Maybe I'll dig into more of their stuff soon. Still need more Poison Idea. All I have is Pick Your King although I've heard more of them, like Kings of Punk, Record Collectors Are Pretentious Assholes (kinda ironic, eh?) and Feel the Darkness. I've been into Concrete Sox and Heresy lately and I just got a copy of Broken Bones' Decapitated. Also been listening to a lot of TSOL.

natassja7 gave this Horns Up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeh :)   Sensible is really funny and Vanian is cool as fuck how you'd imagine them to be really!

'Everybodies Girl' is a cool Dwarves song. God yeh you mentioned Concrete Sox, awesome, used to have 'Whoops Sorry Vicar'. Have you ever heard of a band called 'Bomb Disneyland' ? They were awesome UK Crossover, you would probably dig them. I used to have that vinyl, got rid but I have recently bought it back which I was soo happy that I found it again, anyway the album is called 'Why Not?' and it's fuckin great. They had to change their name to 'Bomb Everything' though :D 

I have a real problem trying to post pics of albums n stuff but I will when I figure it out, like some signed stuff you may be interested to see..must stop being so techno-illiterate :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I heard of Bomb Disneyland through an old blog that I used to follow. Christ, I haven't thought about them in a while though. I remember the bass was really cool on that album. Gonna have to listen to them again. And the name change... probably similar to why Green Jello had to change their name to Green Jelly :)

It'd be cool to see some of the signed stuff you have if you feel like posting it. Imgur is good to use for stuff like that.

Btw, do you like the Adverts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, morbidspectre said:

Yeah, I heard of Bomb Disneyland through an old blog that I used to follow. Christ, I haven't thought about them in a while though. I remember the bass was really cool on that album. Gonna have to listen to them again. And the name change... probably similar to why Green Jello had to change their name to Green Jelly :)

It'd be cool to see some of the signed stuff you have if you feel like posting it. Imgur is good to use for stuff like that.

Btw, do you like the Adverts?

Yeh it's a great album :)  I have had that Imgur recommended before, I'll have to check it out..Oh The Adverts..'Gary Gilmore's Eyes'?  I don't really know much of their stuff tbh, I have been listening to some old Peel Sessions recently and they have been on a few of those. I miss John Peel, he used to play some cool shit. He has some of the lyrics to 'Teenage Kicks' on his headstone,how about Alien Sex Fiend?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check out The Slits 1977 Peel Session it's on YouTube..Crass ones good too..in fact they all were.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, natassja7 said:

Yeh it's a great album :)  I have had that Imgur recommended before, I'll have to check it out..Oh The Adverts..'Gary Gilmore's Eyes'?  I don't really know much of their stuff tbh, I have been listening to some old Peel Sessions recently and they have been on a few of those. I miss John Peel, he used to play some cool shit. He has some of the lyrics to 'Teenage Kicks' on his headstone,how about Alien Sex Fiend?

I have their Acid Bath album. I like it.

natassja7 gave this Horns Up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to stalk this  
Stalkers 0