Sign in to stalk this  
Requiem

Marduk vs Dark Funeral

Labelled as norsecore by some, I think both of these bands have followed a fairly similar trajectory in many ways, and they both represent the more popular end of black metal. Both have the look figured out, with tonnes of merchandising and the paraphernalia of the 'career band'. 

So who do you like better and why? I think I can guess the outcome of this by the way. 

I'm going with Marduk. I think they have a broader range of top quality albums that I really like, such as 'Frontschwein', 'Panzer Division Marduk' and my personal favourite 'World Funeral'. I find some of their albums a little hard to get excited about, such as 'Rom 5:12', 'Serpent Sermon' and 'Wormwood'. They're also great live. They also seem to have a bit more authenticity. I think Morgan and Mortuus are the real deal. 

Dark Funeral have some classic albums 'Diabolis Interium' and 'Where Shadows Forever Reign' and I think they're a very good band. When I've seen them live their sound was one big blasting mess of nothingness and I think they work better on disk. They also strike me as a little bit cartoonish as well, but only a little. 

Marduk for me. 

fjm    4

Both are amazing. However I would have to go with Dark Funeral, due to Dominator's drumming. It is truly amazing and sets the band apart from any other. 

On 2017-5-28 at 5:21 AM, fjm said:

Both are amazing. However I would have to go with Dark Funeral, due to Dominator's drumming. It is truly amazing and sets the band apart from any other. 

Hazzah, a response! 

Yeah good call on the drummer. 

I'm going with Marduk here. Their music just appeals more to me, although I can't exactly say why. It may be completely subjective, but especially on their later albums I found them to be more diverse while keeping the typical Marduk feeling.

Dark Funeral belongs to the pile of bands that I generally like, but they never really interested me enough to actually spend much time with their records.

Both bands have some killer albums, I personally prefer their older material in both cases but solid all around. Panzer Division Marduk vs Secrets of the Black Arts and World Funeral vs Attera Totus Sanctus would be what it comes down to for me...fuck it...Marduk

On 2017-6-12 at 2:43 AM, Skull_Kollektor said:

I'm not entitled to an opinion because I don't really know their discographies... but anyone with a release named "**** Me Jesus" gets my vote.

Marduk.

Yes, but don't forget, Dark Funeral have an EP out called 'Teach Children to Worship Satan' which is also pretty cool! 

Dark Funeral's first self-titled EP is pretty badass too. I like both bands but I'm going with Marduk. I don't know, I just listen to them more. More albums and more consistently good albums. Early Marduk especially is essential listening.

When I've seen them live their sound was one big blasting mess of nothingness and I think they work better on disk. They also strike me as a little bit cartoonish as well, but only a little. 

This description is how Dark Funeral sounds on album and live IMO, and they are absolutely a cartoon/self-parody black metal band in the worst way possible. Their debut was okay, I can listen to it from time to time, but after that, it just becomes painfully comical for me. Terrible vocals, dull blasting ad nauseum, ridiculous image, and a pretty horrible live performance when I saw them open for Morbid Angel.

Marduk certainly embodied a lot of this during the Legion fronted era, but even those albums were more listenable than Dark Funeral's for me. The Af Grav fronted albums are Swedish black metal classics, and everything I've heard of the new stuff with Mortuus was pretty good as well, and they are far and away the better live band. The choice is easy for me: Marduk.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

I would definitely say that Marduk is the better of the two (though I like Dark Funeral a lot).  I think that Marduk has been able to put out a relatively diverse range of song sounds while Dark Funeral seems to generally sound the same throughout their albums.