Top 10 Albums of Any Given Genre or Concept

Requiem

Requiem's Top 10 Debut Metal Albums

Here are the debut albums held in highest esteem at Castle Requiem (a foolish enterprise given the number of bands that exist). Excluded are those that fall in the hard rock/hair metal category, solo albums, as well as EPs that are basically full-lengths (so 'Wrath of the Tyrant' and 'Deathcrush' do not appear, even though I technically see them as Emperor and Mayhem's debut albums). Personal preference only, 'classic' status in metal be damned. 

10. Tristania - 'Widow's Weeds' (1998)

This really is a monolithic classic in gothic metal. That great not-too-produced production, the choirs, the atmosphere. A stunning debut, and when I'm being absolutely honest with myself (which I rarely am), I have to acknowledge that I prefer it over 'As the Flower Withers', 'Lost Paradise', 'Dance of December Souls', 'The Karelian Isthmus', 'The Principle of Evil Made Flesh', 'Vikinglgr Veldi', 'Dark Medieval Times', 'Greatest Love Songs Vol 666' etc. 

9. Black Sabbath - 'Black Sabbath' (1970)

This would probably sit at number 1 if I was making a list of most influential or most original albums, but I ain't doing that. This is nevertheless a fantastic album as we all know. Great vibes from the historical context, too. 

8. Burzum - Burzum (1992)

A mysterious journey down untrodden pathways of forest darkness, this isn't the smoothest album Varg will ever make, but it's got the magic. 

7. Tyr - 'How Far to Asgaard' (2002)

Amazing viking metal album from these Faeroe Island lads. Featuring Pol Arni Holm in his one and only appearance as vocalist for Tyr, this just has authentic written all over it. It's a pretty unique album and something that I can't ever see being produced again, largely thanks to the fantastic vocalist. Damn this band sucks nowadays though...

6. Moonsorrow - 'Suden Uni' (2001) 

Moonsorrow's debut was, and is, phenomenal in all ways. In fact, it's close to being my favourite Moonsorrow album. It sounds so epic and atmospheric in a way that left other pagan/folk/viking bands behind. The true northern spirit right here. 

5. Moonspell - 'Wolfheart' (1995)

A gothic metal classic, tracks like 'Love Crimes' and 'Alma Mater' are all time favourites. Great mix of atmosphere with really catchy songs. This album has it all as a genre piece. 

4. Anathema - 'Serenades' (1993)

For me, My Dying Bride and Paradise Lost didn't really hit my soul with their debuts - as much as I love them - having been released a few years earlier, but Anathema did. In 93 MDB put out 'Turn Loose the Swans' and PL did 'Icon', which both beat this album, but as far as a debut release goes, this is it. The atmosphere is next level, especially the slow/interlude style songs. Darren White's vocals are great, if unconventional. He isn't really a natural born singer, but his lyrics are brilliant and he emotes like no other. Everything about this is cool in my book. 

3. Dissection - 'The Somberlain' (1993)

While the two bands below actually released c30 minute EPs prior to these albums, thereby making their claim to debut status dubious, this is a genuine first release (demos notwithstanding). What a fantastic album of blackened melodic death. The riffs. The atmosphere. The glory. 

2. Mayhem - 'De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas' (1994)

Ok sure, let's call this a debut album. Everyone else does. Close to untouchable black metal release and is ultimately interchangeable at number one with...

1. Emperor - 'In the Nightside Eclipse' (1994)

I have a hard time calling this their debut, but the planet wants me to believe this, so fine. This isn't a collection of songs so much as an exploration of our dark hearts, the nightsky and the vast forests of our dreams. Every time I hear that intro the hairs on the back of my neck spring up like little hirsute erections. The best debut full length album I've ever heard. 

On 7/24/2017 at 4:04 AM, Requiem said:

Requiem's (Epic Post) Top 10 Cradle of Filth Albums

Few bands in the metal landscape cause such division as the evil elf Dani and his band of interchangeable knob-jobs. Here are the lows to highs as seen by (out of the closet) goth Requiem, a fan of the band for 22 years.

10. Damnation and a Day (2003) / Darkly Darkly Venus Aversa (2010) / The Manticore and Other Horrors (2012)

Oh dear oh dear. Firstly, 'Damnation...' is the band's Sony debut and swansong, and it's dire. There are two men to blame for this: the first is Doug Cook for one of the world's worst production jobs, (check out the velvety patter of the kick drums and the power-tool-through-a-wet-blanket guitars). The other is guitarist and riff-writer Paul Allender who turned a once lush band into the driest desert imaginable. For years I struggled to find a proper adjective to describe this guy's riffs, and believe it or not, I found it in the youtube comments section when someone referred to his riffs as 'dry'. I thought, that's it exactly. They're dry. More on him later. 'Damnation...' is bloated at 77 long minutes of boredom. Even the orchestral interludes are shite. What a disaster. The other two albums here are almost completely forgettable and offer nothing much to anybody. 'Manticore' is pretty well produced, and 'Venus' has the fairly happening 'Persecution Song' but god, would someone get rid of Paul 'bland riff' Allender. Riffs so dry I need a glass of water just thinking about them. 

9. Godspeed on the Devil's Thunder (2008)

The only reason this album doesn't sit in the same cesspool as the ones mentioned above is because the first two songs 'Shat out of Hell' and 'The Death of Love' are bloody marvellous. The album cover is an abomination (check it out - it's terrible), and the rest of this is poor to below average. Partly composed by computer-orchestra stool sample Mark Newby-Robson, who isn't even in the band, these are works of mediocrity. Seriously, how Paul Allender lasted so long in this band is anyone's guess. He seems a competent enough guitarist, but his riffs are just dry, chugging, and banal. 

8. Thornography (2006)

This is actually not a bad album and I do enjoy parts of it. Its best moment is 'The Byronic Man' with Ville Valo from HIM providing guest vocals. The fact that he's turning up on this album says a lot about where Cradle in 2006 were = pretty lost. 'Lovesick for Mina' (as in Mina Harker from 'Dracula) is also very impressive. This is a decent collection of songs, and well above the albums listed from 9-10. 

7. Nymphetamine (2004)

A surprisingly good album in parts, but oh so boring in the long-run. The title track is killer with Liv Kristine (ex Theatre of Tragedy) providing guest vocals, and more gothic songs like 'English Fire' sound romantic and beautiful. Opener 'Gilded Cunt' is absolutely amazing if you ask me. Great song. There's plenty of filler material on this though, don't worry about that, and at 75 minutes you're going to want to top yourself before you reach the end. Cool cover.

6. Hammer of the Witches (2015)

A huge breath of fresh air with the two new guitarists, this is a fantastic album. It would be much higher on the list but we're coming to classic Cradle so it stays at number six. The twin guitar sound is back and the orchestration is fitting and artistically honest. God it makes a difference. This album is really really good. Great song about the Crusades too in 'Onward Christian Soldiers'. One of my favourite moments in dark music occurs twice in 'Deflowering the Maidenhead...' during that quiet keyboardy moment with the line "This judgement has come from on high". Spine-tingling. 

5. The Principle of Evil Made Flesh (1994)

The debut gets a lot more praise than I think it really deserves. It's exciting as hell, no doubt, and those keyboard interludes back in 1996 (when I first heard the album) were stunning. The roughness is a bit of a problem though, because I've never considered Cradle a black metal band, and I don't think they really do the blackish thing very well. Still, credit where it's due, and for a bunch of teenagers to manage to create something so iconic (check out that unmatched cover art) is quite something. 

4. Midian (2000)

The last great album before they chased the Sony dollars (well, pounds I guess). This has a new drummer in Adrian Erlandsson, and Paul Allender isn't able to ruin it because Gian Pyres is still here from 'Cruelty' keeping the riffs hot. There are some magic moments on this album. Check out the interlude/bridge narration in 'Lord Abortion', or the end of 'Tortured Soul Asylum'. Just an amazing album. 

3. V Empire (1996)

Supposedly an EP, but at 36:25 it's longer than 'Reign in Blood' and 'Rubber Soul', so I'm calling it an album. This is the first I heard of the band when it just came out and my friends and I were floored. 'The Forest Whispers My Name', much improved since 'Principle..' launches into 'Queen of Winter, Throned', and there is just a sense of excitement and quality to the whole thing. I remember hearing this for the first time, clear as day. 

2. Cruelty and the Beast (1998) 

This isn't just a fantastic Cradle album, it's a British metal classic. Nick Barker's last album with the band (gosh he would be missed), the epic scope of this album is virtually still unmatched to this day. If there's a better gothic metal song that 'Cruelty Brought Thee Orchids' then I've yet to hear it. The 'Bathory Aria' is also a masterpiece. 

1. Dusk and Her Embrace (1996)

Their meisterwerk. From the haunting album artwork to a production so delicious you can lick it up, this is the true gothic metal classic. 'A Gothic Romance', 'Funeral in Carpathia' and the title track. Wow. This album is all tangled up with great memories for me, but even now when I put it on the quality shines through. When those opening gothic keyboards of 'Humana Inspired to Nightmare' begin I'm transported. 

Special mention to Dani Filth's lyrics. He cops a lot of crap - perhaps rightly - for his odd gnomish ways, but if you're into dark poetry check out 'Cruelty Brought Thee Orchids', 'A Gothic Romance' and 'Lord Abortion'. The rhymes, the puns, the play on words that incorporate cheeky Shakespearean and Byronic phrases all suggest a genuinely gifted writer.

An example: "I should compare thee to a warm summer's day, but to the letter, it is better to lichen her name to a grave". First we have the basic line from a Shakespearean sonnet, then the rhyming of letter and better, then the pun of liken/lichen, with the implication of this person's name being inscribed on a mossy tombstone. I mean, christ, it's brilliant. 

I'm always surprised to see how so many undervalue Damnation and a Day. I truly consider it to be an outstanding release from the band albeit different from the rest of their discography. I understand the criticism that the guitars don't shine like they did on previous efforts but it wasn't supposed to be guitar-driven; rather, it's about the orchestration and the atmosphere therein. It was a grueling effort by the band and probably the most ambitious undertaking that I think any band has ever subjected themselves to. I consider Damnation to be the very definition of epic and especially so, it impresses when juxtaposed to any other attempt within the metal world to create something so grandiose. And if the music wasn't epic and impressive enough, it features some of Dani's best lyrical contributions. To me it really feel like a classic film score in addition to fostering a most essential biblical quality throughout. I really can't imagine any band devising the idea to make a record of this magnitude, this particular theme, and have it turn out as well as it did. 

Anyhow, here is my ranking of their albums, with two EPs included:

14. The Manticore and Other Horrors

13.  Darkly, Darkly Venus Aversa

12. Hammer of the Witches

11. Cryptoriana - The Seductiveness of Decay (too new, ranking subject to change)

10. Thornography

9. Nymphetamine

8. Godspeed on the Devil's Thunder

7. Bitter Suites to Succubi

6. Damnation and a Day

5. Midian

4. Dusk... and Her Embrace

3. V Empire or Dark Faerytales in Phallustein

2. Cruelty and the Beast

1. The Principle of Evil Made Flesh

I would probably have too much to say about each release so for the time being I'm not going to provide reasoning unless someone wants to know about a particular album and its ranking. I consider the top six to be classics and outstanding if not better.  

Regarding Mayhem, I am fine with them continuing. They've had so many line-up changes, ups and downs, but somehow always manage to produce something that is uniquely 'Mayhem' whether it's on par with earlier efforts or not. I actually enjoyed their last two. 

15 minutes ago, Vampyrique said:

I'm always surprised to see how so many undervalue Damnation and a Day. I truly consider it to be an outstanding release from the band albeit different from the rest of their discography. I understand the criticism that the guitars don't shine like they did on previous efforts but it wasn't supposed to be guitar-driven; rather, it's about the orchestration and the atmosphere therein. It was a grueling effort by the band and probably the most ambitious undertaking that I think any band has ever subjected themselves to. I consider Damnation to be the very definition of epic and especially so, it impresses when juxtaposed to any other attempt within the metal world to create something so grandiose. And if the music wasn't epic and impressive enough, it features some of Dani's best lyrical contributions. To me it really feel like a classic film score in addition to fostering a most essential biblical quality throughout. I really can't imagine any band devising the idea to make a record of this magnitude, this particular theme, and have it turn out as well as it did. 

Anyhow, here is my ranking of their albums, with two EPs included:

14. The Manticore and Other Horrors

13.  Darkly, Darkly Venus Aversa

12. Hammer of the Witches

11. Cryptoriana - The Seductiveness of Decay (too new, ranking subject to change)

10. Thornography

9. Nymphetamine

8. Godspeed on the Devil's Thunder

7. Bitter Suites to Succubi

6. Damnation and a Day

5. Midian

4. Dusk... and Her Embrace

3. V Empire or Dark Faerytales in Phallustein

2. Cruelty and the Beast

1. The Principle of Evil Made Flesh

I would probably have too much to say about each release so for the time being I'm not going to provide reasoning unless someone wants to know about a particular album and its ranking. 

'Cryptoriana' is being released later in September, so I'm going to wait until I have it in my hands and can read the lyrics before I go ahead and try to hear it. 

I'm with you on most of these choices, but I'm surprised to see 'Hammer of the Witches' so low in your estimation. I can't get over how great it is, as you can probably tell from my own list. 

As for 'Damnation and a Day', I just don't see it. I guess I made it pretty clear in my analysis on the last page regarding what I didn't like about it. Overall, I find it a very big miss. And I love the idea/theme and the lyrics, but gosh it's a flat pancake album, which makes it all the more disappointing given the orchestra/choirs. Check out my Top 10 Orchestra/Choir albums list to see how much of a fan I am of that style of music too, so for me 'DaaD' was a real disappointment. I'm glad to hear there are plenty out there who do dig it though. 

1 hour ago, Requiem said:

'Cryptoriana' is being released later in September, so I'm going to wait until I have it in my hands and can read the lyrics before I go ahead and try to hear it. 

I'm with you on most of these choices, but I'm surprised to see 'Hammer of the Witches' so low in your estimation. I can't get over how great it is, as you can probably tell from my own list. Also, your list looks suspiciously like an 'order of release' based preferences, obviously with a few anomalies. 

As for 'Damnation and a Day', I just don't see it. I guess I made it pretty clear in my analysis on the last page regarding what I didn't like about it. Overall, I find it a very big miss. And I love the idea/theme and the lyrics, but gosh it's a flat pancake album, which makes it all the more disappointing given the orchestra/choirs. Check out my Top 10 Orchestra/Choir albums list to see how much of a fan I am of that style of music too, so for me 'DaaD' was a real disappointment. I'm glad to hear there are plenty out there who do dig it though. 

I will say that Damnation and a Day does seem to me to be the most divisive album in the Cradle of Filth catalogue.  

I suppose nostalgia and familiarity plays a factor in how I evaluate and compare new albums to older albums. With Hammer of the Witches, it may take more time to grow on me as it just hasn't clicked with me as it did with so many diehards. I thought the band was utterly lost and lacking inspiration with The Manticore so Hammer is a refreshing effort. Although I like Paul, I think the split needed to happen. Lindsay also has a great voice, vastly superior to the woman they had previously whom I did not like. And I think Cryptoriana is a step further in the right direction with the band going back to writing songs with less conventional structures which is what I've been wanting for a while. 

There is also something to the pattern of Dani's vocals on recent albums that seems to bother me. It's hard for me to describe it but it's almost like Dani is too restrained, likely a by-product of emphasizing his mid-range and trying too hard to match his vocals with the melody of the music that it strikes me as being rather formulaic, predictable and 'samey' amongst many songs. Lyrically, I don't think any of the albums are on par earlier works, at least not since Damnation. Also, production-wise, the band has gone in a more 'metal' direction with drums and guitars being higher in the mix so I dislike the fact that the music isn't at atmospheric as it used to be. However, this rule does not apply to Principle because that album is incredibly atmospheric! 

Also, there are less interludes on albums and those in recent years have not been as good. Despite being simple pieces, the earlier interludes really did a lot to create atmosphere. I think Damnation was the pinnacle of their orchestration and everything orchestral afterwards paled in comparison. The orchestration on recent albums like Darkly seemed utterly stale and generic to me and I had long hoped that they someday would abandon orchestral programming and return to the sounds of keyboards and organs. 

There's probably more I could say but this is generally why I prefer their earlier albums. If you separate the band's catalogue into three or even four eras and understand that my preferences generally go early-era followed by mid-era and then recent-era you can comprehend why it seems that I am ranking albums in chronological order.  

29 minutes ago, Vampyrique said:

I will say that Damnation and a Day does seem to me to be the most divisive album in the Cradle of Filth catalogue.  

I suppose nostalgia and familiarity plays a factor in how I evaluate and compare new albums to older albums. With Hammer of the Witches, it may take more time to grow on me as it just hasn't clicked with me as it did with so many diehards. I thought the band was utterly lost and lacking inspiration with The Manticore so Hammer is a refreshing effort. Although I like Paul, I think the split needed to happen. Lindsay also has a great voice, vastly superior to the woman they had previously whom I did not like. And I think Cryptoriana is a step further in the right direction with the band going back to writing songs with less conventional structures which is what I've been wanting for a while. 

There is also something to the pattern of Dani's vocals on recent albums that seems to bother me. It's hard for me to describe it but it's almost like Dani is too restrained, likely a by-product of emphasizing his mid-range and trying too hard to match his vocals with the melody of the music that it strikes me as being rather formulaic, predictable and 'samey' amongst many songs. Lyrically, I don't think any of the albums are on par earlier works, at least not since Damnation. Also, production-wise, the band has gone in a more 'metal' direction with drums and guitars being higher in the mix so I dislike the fact that the music isn't at atmospheric as it used to be. However, this rule does not apply to Principle because that album is incredibly atmospheric! 

Also, there are less interludes on albums and those in recent years have not been as good. Despite being simple pieces, the earlier interludes really did a lot to create atmosphere. I think Damnation was the pinnacle of their orchestration and everything orchestral afterwards paled in comparison. The orchestration on recent albums like Darkly seemed utterly stale and generic to me and I had long hoped that they someday would abandon orchestral programming and return to the sounds of keyboards and organs. 

There's probably more I could say but this is generally why I prefer their earlier albums. 

Firstly let me just say how awesome it is to have someone like you on this forum. I feel a kindred (undead) spirit here. 

I agree with all of this (with the obvious exception of the 'Damnation...' comments). By the way, I went back and deleted my reference to your list resembling the order of release, because it really doesn't actually do that. 

1. I agree that Lindsay's voice is amazing. Are you into Devilment, Dani's other band? The female singer there is phenomenal too and way better than past women. 

2. I know exactly what you mean regarding Dani's vocals, especially on the pre-'Hammer of the Witches' albums. There's definitely a pattern of mediocrity there. Again, I feel there's some freshness in 'Hammer of the Witches'. And again, check out the new Devilment album 'II Mephisto Waltzes' if you haven't (but I bet you have as you seem pretty across everything). The opportunity for Dani to write and sing differently I think has given him a new level of excitement and freshness. 

3. I agree 100% on the stale and generic computer orchestras. 100%. I would love to hear a more keyboard/organ sound, and again I get (a bit of ) that feeling on 'Hammer...'. 

39 minutes ago, Requiem said:

Firstly let me just say how awesome it is to have someone like you on this forum. I feel a kindred (undead) spirit here. 

I agree with all of this (with the obvious exception of the 'Damnation...' comments). By the way, I went back and deleted my reference to your list resembling the order of release, because it really doesn't actually do that. 

1. I agree that Lindsay's voice is amazing. Are you into Devilment, Dani's other band? The female singer there is phenomenal too and way better than past women. 

2. I know exactly what you mean regarding Dani's vocals, especially on the pre-'Hammer of the Witches' albums. There's definitely a pattern of mediocrity there. Again, I feel there's some freshness in 'Hammer of the Witches'. And again, check out the new Devilment album 'II Mephisto Waltzes' if you haven't (but I bet you have as you seem pretty across everything). The opportunity for Dani to write and sing differently I think has given him a new level of excitement and freshness. 

3. I agree 100% on the stale and generic computer orchestras. 100%. I would love to hear a more keyboard/organ sound, and again I get (a bit of ) that feeling on 'Hammer...'. 

I agree, it is nice to read some in-depth comments and opinions on bands such as Cradle of Filth, especially coming from someone was into the metal scene in the mid 90s. I've only been listening to extreme metal for about 15 years. Cradle of Filth are arguably my favourite metal band, or perhaps co-favourite.  

Incidentally, have you heard of the Requiem Metal Podcast? It coincidentally has your namesake and it is about a couple of guys who've been listening to metal since the early 90s and they basically discuss and chronicle the careers of many metal bands.  

With Devilment, I actually haven't given them a serious listen yet but I didn't mind what I have heard. I definitely agree with you about Dani's enthusiasm. It seems like an outlet for Dani, to liberate himself from the expectations that accompany Cradle of Filth. The attitude that Devilment possesses reminds me of the less-serious approach that Dani took with Thornography, which in itself was probably a reprieve although it took me years to appreciate that album. I'm far less scrutinizing than I used to be so I'll definitely be sure to give them a fair chance.      

5 minutes ago, Vampyrique said:

I agree, it is nice to read some in-depth comments and opinions on bands such as Cradle of Filth, especially coming from someone was into the metal scene in the mid 90s. I've only been listening to extreme metal for about 15 years. Cradle of Filth are arguably my favourite metal band, or perhaps co-favourite.  

Incidentally, have you heard of the Requiem Metal Podcast? It coincidentally has your namesake and it is about a couple of guys who've been listening to metal since the early 90s and they basically discuss and chronicle the careers of many metal bands.  

With Devilment, I actually haven't given them a serious listen yet but I didn't mind what I have heard. I definitely agree with you about Dani's enthusiasm. It seems like an outlet for Dani, to liberate himself from the expectations that accompany Cradle of Filth. The attitude that Devilment possesses reminds me of the less-serious approach that Dani took with Thornography, which in itself was probably a reprieve although it took me years to appreciate that album. I'm far less scrutinizing than I used to be so I'll definitely be sure to give them a fair chance.      

Check out 'II The Mephisto Waltzes' for sure. The quality is stunning. The songwriting is so tasteful and clever and the production is amazing. 'Hitchcock Blonde' is my favourite song right now (although beware the lame video for it that will just distract you from the actual track hahaha. It's not good). 

I haven't heard the podcast you mention. I've been slow to get onto podcasts. Maybe I'll check it out. I'm turning 38 in a couple of months and got into proper metal around 1993-4 I guess after the usual gateway bands from about 1990. That's why most of my best of lists tend to be 90s heavy due to the impact that decade had on my virgin ears. 

19 minutes ago, Requiem said:

Check out 'II The Mephisto Waltzes' for sure. The quality is stunning. The songwriting is so tasteful and clever and the production is amazing. 'Hitchcock Blonde' is my favourite song right now (although beware the lame video for it that will just distract you from the actual track hahaha. It's not good). 

I haven't heard the podcast you mention. I've been slow to get onto podcasts. Maybe I'll check it out. I'm turning 38 in a couple of months and got into proper metal around 1993-4 I guess after the usual gateway bands from about 1990. That's why most of my best of lists tend to be 90s heavy due to the impact that decade had on my virgin ears. 

When I get a chance I will. I rarely watch music videos anyways because I've learned to disregard them in recent years. Ever since the music industry went down the toilet, most music videos have been pretty awful and sometimes embarrassing or, at best, generic. 

I don't blame you. I think the 90s was the best era for music, certainly metal. The metal scene exploded in various directions with a level of creativity that will likely never be seen again. One consequence of the internet is that things have become overexposed and the the element of mystery is gone and scene-specific sounds/styles aren't really a thing anymore due to the widespread homogeneity in influences. I spend more time trying to discover obscure 90s bands than I do recent bands and also find this more appealing than listening to new bands try to sound like old bands. I honestly really haven't paid too much attention to the state of the metal scene in the last few years, except with bands that I already listen to.

The Requiem Metal Podcast is nothing too in-depth but I enjoy hearing people discuss music and give anecdotes and opinions about bands great bands like Paradise Lost, My Dying Bride, Swedish death metal, black metal etc. If nothing else, it will probably offer you some nostalgia.  

Requiem's Top 10 Most Disappointing Albums

I've listed my preferences for many things in this great and glorious world we call metal. Now I want to temporarily turn more cynical and reflect on the moments of grand disappointment that I have experienced across my 27 years of fandom. So here they are, the ten most disappointing releases for me, going from least disappointing to most disappointing. I am not ranking the quality of these albums, but the degree of disappointment I felt upon first hearing them after fantastic previous albums. It's a lot about context. 

10. Satyricon - 'Rebel Extravaganza' (1999)

The only band to make this list twice, Satyr's bizarre descent from black metal god to bland rock geek has been startling. While I technically enjoy this album more than, say 'Now Diabolical', which is significantly more boring, I have to be honest and admit that as a 19 year old I was heavily disappointed with this when it came out after the glorious 'Nemesis Divina'. Damn that modern Moonfog guitar tone. Damn it to the hell that it has forsaken. 

9. My Dying Bride - '34.788%... Complete' (1998)

In theory this should probably be higher, (as in, more disappointing) but for some reason my friends and I weren't actually that upset about it when it came out due to some interesting and great songs like 'The Whore, The Cook and the Mother' and their best song about sex 'Base Level Erotica'. But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't upset that the violin was gone and there was nary a fallen angel in sight... 

8. Emperor - 'IX Equilibrium' (1999)

This album has done well from a revisionist perspective, but at the time when it came out I was totally not into it. Lame Manowar style titles like 'Warriors of Modern Death' were not what I was looking for at this point of my life. I wanted more anthems to nightside eclipses. The death metal elements aren't as obvious to me now in my old age, but at the time I was wondering where all the black metal had gone. 

7. Cradle of Filth - 'Damnation and a Day' (2003)

Sorry @Vampyrique, but this was a sad day that I damned heavily. I even held out hope after the so-so 'Bitter Suites' EP, but when this came out I just knew something wasn't right. I knew something had gone from the band; something that wouldn't be discovered again until 2015. I didn't want flat patter-patter songs with try-hard orchestras. I wanted countesses in the castle grounds where forests whisper my name. 

6. Satyricon - 'Satyricon' (2013)

A slightly disingenuous inclusion, as I don't think anyone but the most unfortunate of hipsters was still holding out for much quality from Satyr and his skin-beating stooge Frost, but god this album sucks. This is one of the worst albums released in living memory. Listen to the boring, go-nowhere, intro with that riff that any 13 year old has come up with a million times in their bedroom. And then play it super soft on the string with no passion or belief. The only belief going on here is that Satyr thinks he's a misunderstood genius, but I think he's understood just fine. 

5. Type O Negative - 'Life is Killing Me' (2003)

I make no secret of my enduring, unconditional, love for 'October Rust' and 'Bloody Kisses'. I enjoy a lot of 'World Coming Down' but knew something was up. Where had all the songs about girls gone, I asked my younger self. Then when this lump of self-obsessed mediocrity dropped I was really disappointed because I knew that the dream was over. A friend and I would famously go on to ritually purge his property of the 'Dead Again' album with fire and smashing, but it really started here with this one. 

4. Theatre of Tragedy - 'Musique' (2000)

Ah, Theatre of Tragedy. Cursed be the one who first brought Paradise Lost's 'One Second' to band rehearsal and said, "Check this out - they're using electronics!! We should totally do this." Then Raymond piped up halfway through 'Say Just Words' and said, "And let's sing with working class British accents about trains and things". How they all agreed to this folly is one of metal's enduring mysteries. This album doesn't suck but it's as far away from what made Theatre great as they could possibly get. I think that was the point. Well, no one remembers this album guys, but you've won some immortality by appearing at number 4 on this list...

3. Amorphis - 'Tuonela' (1998)

The follow-up to the almighty 'Elegy' was definitely a huge disappointment for me. Gone were the Kalevala/Kantelatar lyrics, gone were the upbeat keyboard sweeps and jigs, and gone (except for one song) were the amazing growls. This is a rock album, and I like it a lot more now that I've calmed down over the decades, but I shunned this album for years. They got Simon Efemy, the Paradise Lost producer, to work with them on this album. Coincidence? Read below. 

2. Paradise Lost - 'One Second' (1997)

This album is disappointing because it sucks donkeys compared with 'Draconian Times' which is probably the best thing to come out of England since buttered crumpets, but it's even more disappointing because it encouraged so many great bands to put beeps and squeaks in their own albums, thus ruining about 50% of my favourite bands in the process! 

1. Anathema - 'Distant Satellites' (2014)

I haven't really been a huge fan of this band for a decade or so (although they used to be close to my favourite), but I've liked bits and pieces of what they've done recently, including the first 5 glorious tracks from their 2010 release 'We're Here Because We're Here'. But this album takes the number one spot for a few reasons. 1. The interminable drum loops on every track. 2. The single riff build-up in every song that gets boring. 3. The random Portuguese drummer who has unstooled John Douglas. 4. The lame 'love everyone' lyrics. 5. The overwhelming feeling of self-consciousness that's going on here. The Cavanaghs are their own biggest fans and it just turns me off. I can't get through even 30 seconds of this album anymore. This is the most disappointing album I've ever heard from one of the world's best bands. 

I don't blame you for listing Satyricon twice. You probably could have listed Satyricon's last four albums! I actually really like Rebel Extravaganza (and Volcano) and did so when I first heard them despite their often mixed reception but I was floored with disappointment when I first heard Now, Diabolical. I was in disbelief and kept asking myself: Is this really the new album? Four years and that's it?  Satyricon had suddenly become the Greenday of the black metal world writing accessible stadium anthems for everybody and their grandmother. Volcano was stripped down and simplified but at least had a great atmosphere and added a variety of nuances to keep things interesting. After Now, Diabolical the following albums didn't really do much for me either. They aren't terrible or anything, just mediocre albums by a band who is capable of better. 

1 hour ago, Vampyrique said:

I don't blame you for listing Satyricon twice. You probably could have listed Satyricon's last four albums! I actually really like Rebel Extravaganza (and Volcano) and did so when I first heard them despite their often mixed reception but I was floored with disappointment when I first heard Now, Diabolical. I was in disbelief and kept asking myself: Is this really the new album? Four years and that's it?  Satyricon had suddenly become the Greenday of the black metal world writing accessible stadium anthems for everybody and their grandmother. Volcano was stripped down and simplified but at least had a great atmosphere and added a variety of nuances to keep things interesting. After Now, Diabolical the following albums didn't really do much for me either. They aren't terrible or anything, just mediocre albums by a band who is capable of better. 

'Volcano' is a really cool album and I like it a lot more than both 'Rebel' and 'Now'. I agree completely about the first listen of 'Now Diabolical' - I distinctly remember being amazed that it took 4 years to create what sounds like just drums and a single guitar track. Darkthrone do it in a weekend but Satyricon take 4 years. It's just ridiculous. 'Now Diabolical' and 'The Age of Nero' are both really weak albums. Black crow on a tombstone... I mean, really. But as far as riding high then being disappointed goes, the drop from 'Nemesis Divina' to 'Rebel Extravaganza' wins. 

I don't get being disappointed by Rebel Extravaganza. It's different from their first 3 albums, but I wouldn't say it's in a bad way. It just reminds me of what Thorns and (to a lesser extent) Mayhem were up to at the time with expanding their sound to more dynamic territory and integrating industrial elements. No accounting for taste on particular sounds I guess, but it seemed like they were really in their element on Rebel and Volcano, which I wouldn't really call "stripped down" with their more adventurous and almost avant-garde flourishes on songs like Havoc Vulture and Suffering the Tyrants. Sure, there are those groovy tracks, but I feel like it suits them better than the almost monotonous hyperblasting of Nemesis Divina. As much as I like that album, I prefer their earlier folky sound and their mid-period industrial experimentation. Then again, I also would never consider Satyricon to be the top-tier of Norwegian black metal, so I guess I didn't have as much room to be disappointed with them as someone who was totally enamored with them. I agree with your disappointment regarding Now, Diabolical though, I think everyone expected a lot more from them then Motörhead riffs, even if I don't hate it. The Age of Nero brought back a bit of Volcano's dynamic groove with tracks like Den Siste, and made those rocking Motörhead riffs sound a bit better with some added aggression, so I can dig it when I'm in the right mood. What I've heard from the self-titled album was absolute garbage though, that song with the clean vocals sounds like a fucking Coldplay cover.

As far as the other disappointing albums on your list, I agree with your assessments on a lot of them. Cradle, Paradise Lost, Amorphis (even if I can still enjoy their rock stuff, Elegy was a masterpiece), Type O Negative (not sure why you don't like Dead Again though, that album is great), etc... I still can't get behind Emperor being disappointing though, IX is better than Anthems as far as I'm concerned. I don't hear any death metal in it at all, just another case of a Norwegian band spreading its wings at the end of the 90's, and they do so splendidly. I love the clean vocals, the sprawling compositions, the technical and progressive riffing with a bit of dischord and even some old school heavy metal pomp and circumstance, it's killer. 

I actually agree with Requiem about Rebel Extravaganza. I used to really enjoy that album, and I had some memorable moments walking around with it, but the last time I put it on, I felt like a glamour had been lifted from my ears, and I could perceive it for the piece of lumpen dross that it always was. I'll have to listen to Volcano again.

I also agree with MDB and Cradle. I remember liking Tuonela okay when it came out, having been primed for the stylistic shift by Elegy, but that album has been languishing in the bargain bin of my memory for at least 15 years. I have to say that Life Is Killing Me has become one of my favorite Type O albums. I listen to it a lot. It's not as dark as World Coming Down, but it's just as personal, and for my money the songwriting is even more interesting. Some of Pete's most revealing, self-deprecating lyrics, and a sharper and more sarcastic sense of fun.

I agree that Rebel Extravaganza isn't stripped down, if anything the opposite is true about that album. There is no shortage of content on Rebel and it is their most complex album. Certainly the direction leans closer to Thorns' album, which ironically is very well liked.  

But Volcano is where they started to embrace simplicity and more conventional song structures. Not on every song but they took things as far as they could with Rebel Extravaganza and wanted to emphasize atmosphere more on Volcano which meant simplifying and stripping things down which they felt may have been intrusive to atmosphere. In the process, they also realized some value in writing catchier songs like Fuel for Hatred and Repined Bastard Nation which may translate better live, and certainly they regarded those songs highly enough to make Fuel the single and put Repined on their 'best of' compilation; this of course, in hindsight, clearly foreshadowed the direction they would later take. 

I do consider Satyricon (at least with regards to their first few albums) to have been one of the best black metal bands. I'm always surprised that so many black metal fans don't think highly of them. In my view, they're better than the likes of Immortal, Enslaved, Gorgoroth and several others whom are often rated higher than Satyricon for reasons I don't understand.   

Emperor's IX Equilibirum is pretty good but it took me some time to warm up to it. It's a bit too technical and progressive for my liking and along with the production, it comes off as being somewhat mechanical and lacking in atmosphere. It does have some qualities that remind me of Anthems (which is my favourite Emperor album).   

2 hours ago, BlutAusNerd said:

I don't get being disappointed by Rebel Extravaganza. It's different from their first 3 albums, but I wouldn't say it's in a bad way. It just reminds me of what Thorns and (to a lesser extent) Mayhem were up to at the time with expanding their sound to more dynamic territory and integrating industrial elements. No accounting for taste on particular sounds I guess, but it seemed like they were really in their element on Rebel and Volcano, which I wouldn't really call "stripped down" with their more adventurous and almost avant-garde flourishes on songs like Havoc Vulture and Suffering the Tyrants. Sure, there are those groovy tracks, but I feel like it suits them better than the almost monotonous hyperblasting of Nemesis Divina. As much as I like that album, I prefer their earlier folky sound and their mid-period industrial experimentation. Then again, I also would never consider Satyricon to be the top-tier of Norwegian black metal, so I guess I didn't have as much room to be disappointed with them as someone who was totally enamored with them. I agree with your disappointment regarding Now, Diabolical though, I think everyone expected a lot more from them then Motörhead riffs, even if I don't hate it. The Age of Nero brought back a bit of Volcano's dynamic groove with tracks like Den Siste, and made those rocking Motörhead riffs sound a bit better with some added aggression, so I can dig it when I'm in the right mood. What I've heard from the self-titled album was absolute garbage though, that song with the clean vocals sounds like a fucking Coldplay cover.

As far as the other disappointing albums on your list, I agree with your assessments on a lot of them. Cradle, Paradise Lost, Amorphis (even if I can still enjoy their rock stuff, Elegy was a masterpiece), Type O Negative (not sure why you don't like Dead Again though, that album is great), etc... I still can't get behind Emperor being disappointing though, IX is better than Anthems as far as I'm concerned. I don't hear any death metal in it at all, just another case of a Norwegian band spreading its wings at the end of the 90's, and they do so splendidly. I love the clean vocals, the sprawling compositions, the technical and progressive riffing with a bit of dischord and even some old school heavy metal pomp and circumstance, it's killer. 

You have to remember, being ten years my junior, that I'm basing my calls on how I felt at the time these albums were released. When 'Rebel Ex' came out it was a huge change. The 'sewer' photo shoot, the modern sound, Satyr's bald head. It was a total shift in every way. I'm not looking back at a collection of releases and judging them all retrospectively. I was deeply turned off when this album came out, despite buying it and doing my best with it. 

2 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

I actually agree with Requiem about Rebel Extravaganza. I used to really enjoy that album, and I had some memorable moments walking around with it, but the last time I put it on, I felt like a glamour had been lifted from my ears, and I could perceive it for the piece of lumpen dross that it always was. I'll have to listen to Volcano again.

I also agree with MDB and Cradle. I remember liking Tuonela okay when it came out, having been primed for the stylistic shift by Elegy, but that album has been languishing in the bargain bin of my memory for at least 15 years. I have to say that Life Is Killing Me has become one of my favorite Type O albums. I listen to it a lot. It's not as dark as World Coming Down, but it's just as personal, and for my money the songwriting is even more interesting. Some of Pete's most revealing, self-deprecating lyrics, and a sharper and more sarcastic sense of fun.

I don't want a sharper and more sarcastic sense of fun in Type O. I want gothic anthems about wolves, Christmas and beautiful women. Peter Steele's jokey/self-deprecating material feels really immature and puerile to my ears. I understand he had a lot of personal issues and I'm not denying him those, but as an artist I prefer his more romantic works. 

2 hours ago, Vampyrique said:

I agree that Rebel Extravaganza isn't stripped down, if anything the opposite is true about that album. There is no shortage of content on Rebel and it is their most complex album. Certainly the direction leans closer to Thorns' album, which ironically is very well liked.  

But Volcano is where they started to embrace simplicity and more conventional song structures. Not on every song but they took things as far as they could with Rebel Extravaganza and wanted to emphasize atmosphere more on Volcano which meant simplifying and stripping things down which they felt may have been intrusive to atmosphere. In the process, they also realized some value in writing catchier songs like Fuel for Hatred and Repined Bastard Nation which may translate better live, and certainly they regarded those songs highly enough to make Fuel the single and put Repined on their 'best of' compilation; this of course, in hindsight, clearly foreshadowed the direction they would later take. 

I do consider Satyricon (at least with regards to their first few albums) to have been one of the best black metal bands. I'm always surprised that so many black metal fans don't think highly of them. In my view, they're better than the likes of Immortal, Enslaved, Gorgoroth and several others whom are often rated higher than Satyricon for reasons I don't understand.   

Emperor's IX Equilibirum is pretty good but it took me some time to warm up to it. It's a bit too technical and progressive for my liking and along with the production, it comes off as being somewhat mechanical and lacking in atmosphere. It does have some qualities that remind me of Anthems (which is my favourite Emperor album).   

Bang on again, although I prefer 'Nightside' over 'Anthems', but not by much. I can't believe how much our tastes line up.

Remember, though, that 'Rebel Extravaganza' came out two years before the Thorns album, which was produced by Satyr anyway. It's a dubious credit to Satyr that so many bands followed that style. That Thorns album is really disappointing too with that Moonfog riffing. Snorre Ruch just can't get anything right. 

14 minutes ago, Requiem said:

I don't want a sharper and more sarcastic sense of fun in Type O. I want gothic anthems about wolves, Christmas and beautiful women. Peter Steele's jokey/self-deprecating material feels really immature and puerile to my ears. I understand he had a lot of personal issues and I'm not denying him those, but as an artist I prefer his more romantic works.

I'm not knocking your taste, but I feel completely the opposite. I'm guessing you don't like Carnivore?

27 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

I'm not knocking your taste, but I feel completely the opposite. I'm guessing you don't like Carnivore?

From what little I've heard of them, not really. So the Type O material that gets closer to that end of things doesn't really do it for me. I'm also not really into 'Origin of Faeces' type jokes. So songs like 'I like Goils', I find just bizarre and I really can't stand. Tracks like 'September Sun', 'Drunk in Paris' and 'Anaesthesia' are the songs I like best from the last couple of albums, perhaps unsurprisingly. As a postscript I remember actually being drunk in Paris and listening to that song. Good times. 

21 hours ago, Vampyrique said:

Volcano does have some more accessible tracks, but also some less accessible ones and more complex tracks. It's really varied, with even the more straightforward tracks you mentioned not really sounding like each other, and that range is one of its strengths. They stripped down the basic tracks even further on the followup and didn't display anything in the way of creative range, making it a lot weaker.

As far as them being one of the best from Norway, I just can't get behind that. I'm sure that their early folky flavor appeals to some more than others, but many of my favorite Nordic bands have a ton of folk in their sound, like Aeternus and Hades. Also, Enslaved is as top tier as Norwegian music gets in my book, there isn't a single band from the country that has ever been so forward thinking and evolutionary while still sounding characteristically like only they can sound. Again, no accounting for preference, but even objectively speaking it's hard to argue with the respectability and class of Enslaved. Immortal and Gorgoroth might be on the same level as Satyricon overall, but they also have higher highs in my opinion, so I would prefer them overall even if many of Satyricons albums are stronger than their more middling work.

2 hours ago, BlutAusNerd said:

Volcano does have some more accessible tracks, but also some less accessible ones and more complex tracks. It's really varied, with even the more straightforward tracks you mentioned not really sounding like each other, and that range is one of its strengths. They stripped down the basic tracks even further on the followup and didn't display anything in the way of creative range, making it a lot weaker.

As far as them being one of the best from Norway, I just can't get behind that. I'm sure that their early folky flavor appeals to some more than others, but many of my favorite Nordic bands have a ton of folk in their sound, like Aeternus and Hades. Also, Enslaved is as top tier as Norwegian music gets in my book, there isn't a single band from the country that has ever been so forward thinking and evolutionary while still sounding characteristically like only they can sound. Again, no accounting for preference, but even objectively speaking it's hard to argue with the respectability and class of Enslaved. Immortal and Gorgoroth might be on the same level as Satyricon overall, but they also have higher highs in my opinion, so I would prefer them overall even if many of Satyricons albums are stronger than their more middling work.

Yes, but as I've said I really enjoy Volcano so whatever criticism I do have is relatively minor when considered alongside its redeeming qualities. More to the point, I'm simply suggesting that Volcano is where the problems for Satyricon originated from. Now, Diabolical is a major step down in quality and offers very little and everything after that is equally underwhelming. Even the new album, despite Satyr's efforts to produce something more interesting and complex, is still sub-par. It sounds like pre-production demos that need to be re-evaluated.

I just think Satyricon wrote quality albums regardless of what style they did them in and their first few can match up to nearly any other Norwegian bands' best few. They wrote interesting and diverse music; lengthy songs that never got tedious because there were always changes in tempo or passages that could be folky or medieval or generally atmospheric. But even before their black'n'roll era, I felt that they didn't get the respect that their peers got. I prefer them over Aeternus and Hades but I like those bands too. 

Enslaved is a good band and consistently so but I've never understood why they are so revered. And I own most of their stuff and I don't even care if they've discarded most of their black metal influences. They're capable of generating some good atmosphere and uplifting moments from time to time but I think their songs often meander without doing anything engaging. Grutle is a decent vocalist but nothing special. I also don't like the clean production that they typically go for. That being said, I do like them. 

13 minutes ago, Vampyrique said:

Yes, but as I've said I really enjoy Volcano so whatever criticism I do have is relatively minor when considered alongside its redeeming qualities. More to the point, I'm simply suggesting that Volcano is where the problems for Satyricon originated from. Now, Diabolical is a major step down in quality and offers very little and everything after that is equally underwhelming. Even the new album, despite Satyr's efforts to produce something more interesting and complex, is still sub-par. It sounds like pre-production demos that need to be re-evaluated.

I just think Satyricon wrote quality albums regardless of what style they did them in and their first few can match up to nearly any other Norwegian bands' best few. They wrote interesting and diverse music; lengthy songs that never got tedious because there were always changes in tempo or passages that could be folky or medieval or generally atmospheric. But even before their black'n'roll era, I felt that they didn't get the respect that their peers got. I prefer them over Aeternus and Hades but I like those bands too. 

Enslaved is a good band and consistently so but I've never understood why they are so revered. And I own most of their stuff and I don't even care if they've discarded most of their black metal influences. They're capable of generating some good atmosphere and uplifting moments from time to time but I think their songs often meander without doing anything engaging. Grutle is a decent vocalist but nothing special. I also don't like the clean production that they typically go for. That being said, I do like them. 

I mostly agree regarding Satyricon. I really enjoy the first three albums, and The Shadowthrone in particular is one of my favorite Norwegian BM albums. I enjoyed Volcano when it came out, but my CD got destroyed a long time ago and I never got around to replacing it.

I liked Blodhemn when it came out, but Enslaved in general didn't click with me for the longest time. Below The Lights was the first one that really hit me, and then Isa and Ruun came along and cemented Enslaved in my little pantheon. My appreciation for them has only grown since then. Gotta say that Grutle at his best is one of my personal favorites. And they're still one of the best live acts I've seen, in terms of authentic stage energy.

1 hour ago, FatherAlabaster said:

I mostly agree regarding Satyricon. I really enjoy the first three albums, and The Shadowthrone in particular is one of my favorite Norwegian BM albums. I enjoyed Volcano when it came out, but my CD got destroyed a long time ago and I never got around to replacing it.

I liked Blodhemn when it came out, but Enslaved in general didn't click with me for the longest time. Below The Lights was the first one that really hit me, and then Isa and Ruun came along and cemented Enslaved in my little pantheon. My appreciation for them has only grown since then. Gotta say that Grutle at his best is one of my personal favorites. And they're still one of the best live acts I've seen, in terms of authentic stage energy.

The Shadowthrone is easily in my list of top black metal albums. 

If I'm going to listen to Enslaved I definitely prefer their first few albums or so over their recent output. I think Blodhemn is one of their better releases but it seems to be quite underrated. 

8 minutes ago, Vampyrique said:

The Shadowthrone is easily in my list of top black metal albums. 

If I'm going to listen to Enslaved I definitely prefer their first few albums or so over their recent output. I think Blodhemn is one of their better releases but it seems to be quite underrated. 

I might feel that way about them if I'd been more attached to their black metal output early on. I just happened to be in the right place in my own listening when they were morphing into something more sprawling and progressive. I won't typically put them on if I'm in a "black metal" mood, but I'll frequently put on some of their early to mid-2000s stuff and then veer into the earlier albums, particularly Blodhemn, Mardraum, and Frost. I find their last few to be kind of hit and miss. Axioma rules, but Vertebrae never grabbed me, RIITIIR took me a long time to begin to appreciate, and I've hardly spent any time with In Times. I'm still interested to hear the upcoming album, though it'll probably be a while before I buy it. Do you like any neo-folk stuff? Did you hear Skuggsjá, the collaboration that Ivar did with the guy from Wardruna last year? I thought it was awesome, definitely a high point of the year for me.

51 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

I might feel that way about them if I'd been more attached to their black metal output early on. I just happened to be in the right place in my own listening when they were morphing into something more sprawling and progressive. I won't typically put them on if I'm in a "black metal" mood, but I'll frequently put on some of their early to mid-2000s stuff and then veer into the earlier albums, particularly Blodhemn, Mardraum, and Frost. I find their last few to be kind of hit and miss. Axioma rules, but Vertebrae never grabbed me, RIITIIR took me a long time to begin to appreciate, and I've hardly spent any time with In Times. I'm still interested to hear the upcoming album, though it'll probably be a while before I buy it. Do you like any neo-folk stuff? Did you hear Skuggsjá, the collaboration that Ivar did with the guy from Wardruna last year? I thought it was awesome, definitely a high point of the year for me.

Axioma is an example of one of their albums that I don't really 'get'. It isn't bad but I just don't understand the appeal. I haven't heard their last couple of albums and I don't really remember Vertebrae, I'll have to revisit it. I think their mid-00s stuff is alright, but the early 00s/90s stuff is just more interesting to me. 

I'm only vaguely familiar with Warduna, haven't heard the other band. I'm not really into anything too folky but I'm open to hearing more of what the genre has to offer, it's just not style of metal that I've explored in depth. There's probably a few bands that I listen to with folk influences but more along the lines of black metal. I really like Agalloch and non-metal bands like Death in June and Sopor Aeternus. 

On 28/08/2017 at 5:47 AM, BlutAusNerd said:

For me, the first three Satyricon albums are all better than anything released by Immortal and Gorgoroth; however, Satyricon's lows are also worse than Immortal and Gorgoroth's lows. 'Dark Medieval Times', 'The Shadowthrone' and 'Nemesis Divina' are aurally, aesthetically and emotively monumental. 

Enslaved are a funny one. I simply adore their first three albums, but found 'Blodhemn' to be a bit lost and empty. Almost clumsy. 'Below the Lights' was ok, but they started to move away from what really interests me, and while I enjoy the odd track of their nowadays material, I can't say I'm a fan. The last album I bought was 'Ruun' and it gets exactly zero plays these days. Actually that could be a great candidate for my daily commute disk list. I love checking out albums I haven't heard in years whilst sitting in traffic.