Top 10 Albums of Any Given Genre or Concept

Requiem

Requiem's Top 10 Albums That Feature Orchestra and/or Choirs

10. Nightwish - 'Once'

I could have gone with a few Nightwish albums, but I've chosen this one partly because it has the mighty 'Ghost Love Score', and partly because I'm in a Tarja mood. Seriously though, 'Dark Passion Play' is just as good and 'Imaginaerum' is not far behind. 

9. Sirenia - 'Dim Days of Dolor'

I love this (almost one man) band and their latest album is just brilliant. Short catchy songs with a great use of that choir. No true orchestra, but the choir is all over this and just elevates this slab of symphonic gothic metal. I don't know how Morten Veland gets the choir sounding so good, but here it is. 

8. Turisas - 'The Varangian Way'

I had to double check that this qualifies with an actual choir and that it's not just the lads (and lass) in the band, and apparently it does. This album is a huge epic of viking adventure, and the great choirs here give this a huge Wagnerian quality. Fantastic epic folk metal. 

7. Dimmu Borgir - 'Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia'

I loved this album in 2001 and I still love it today. It's actually a really early example of a (somewhat) underground band using a full orchestra - I can't think of any bands that were doing it to this extent in 2001 in the studio. It sounded so well produced at the time I couldn't believe it. The intro and outro tracks are some of the best use of atmospheric strings I've heard. This is definitely the best Dimmu album. Haters leave the hall. 

6. Tristania - 'Beyond the Veil'

Again I'm sliding this into the list because of the choir. I have so much nostalgia for Tristania - obviously Morten from Sirenia's original (and best) band. Absolutely perfect gothic metal back when choirs in metal weren't second nature. 

5. Fleshgod Apocalypse - 'Labyrinth'

The reason this album sits so high in the list, apart from the jaw-dropping musicianship and staggering execution, is due to the Greek mythological themes that run through it. The use of orchestra and choirs are just perfect for these Hellenistic tales of Mediterranean adventures. World class symphonic death metal replete with fabulous acoustic guitar and piano work. 

4. Blind Guardian - 'At the Edge of Time'

I almost forgot about this, but the orchestra used here is so effective. This album just shines with fantasy adventure and atmosphere. 

3. Septicflesh - 'The Great Mass'

And here we go. The first three tracks here are basically untouchable, and if the album carried on in that vein it would be number one. Just staggering anthems of orchestral splendour. 

2. Septicflesh - 'Communion'

A triumph of an album. This just has a quality running through every track that is freakish. It's the first time they went nuts with the orchestra and it works soooo well. 

1. Septicflesh - 'Titan'

The number one greatest orchestral metal album of all time. This is where it all comes together: classical music, lyrics, production, depth and songwriting. The theme of gods and godlike behaviour is just amazing too and I highly recommend people read the lyrics if they can, they're truly inspiring. As for the orchestral elements, the choirs singing "Deus ex Machina" in 'Prometheus' just give me chills. 

True Belief’s Best Hard Rock/Hair metal albums:

Motley Crue: Shout at the Devil

Too Fast For Love may have started an entire movement but Shout is where the Crue hit legendary status. Razor sharp riffs, futuristic ‘escape from New York’ look and a swag of metal classics (Too fast for Love, Looks that Kill, Red Hot, Knock ‘em Dead Kid) cement this is one of the most influential albums of the 80s.

WASP – WASP

Too heavy for the LA scene but too gimmicky for the thrash fans, WASP were always an interesting bunch looking for a ‘home’. WASP ‘peaked with their debut and opening track “I Wanna Be Somebody” remains as ther finest moment. Follow-up “The Last Command” was an uneven, slicker affair with perhaps a couple of standouts tracks (including the incredible ‘Widowmaker’) but the buzzsaw cod-pieced, assless leather pant adorned debut smokes almost every debut this side of “Kill em All”. The production is glorious and the songs never waiver right to the end. “Hellion”, “School Daze”, “B.A.D”, “Tormentor”…a horrible but beautiful release.

Hardcore Superstar – Dreaming in a Casket

This inclusion may surprise some but I will argue all day that had this been released in 1985 not 2005, it would have been huge. Silver’s final appearance on guitar is by far his best work, the album reached backwards to go forwards, clutching firmly at the band’s Dr Feelgood and early LA Guns influences. “Wake up Dead in a Garbage Can”, “Medicate Me”, “Sensitive to the Light”, “No Resistance”……it’s a Swedish version of LA-sleaze done right.

H.E.A.T – Address the Nation

Fronted by Sweden’s Idol contestant Erik Gronwall, H.E.A.T leans towards AOR at times but what cannot be denied is the sheer quality of the songwriting and the vocal performance in this 20012 album. Taking influences equal parts Whitesnake + Def Leppard and perhaps late era-Scorpions, “Address the Nation” is right up there alongside Pyromania for radio friendly, stadium filling high energy (with guitars damn it!!) hard rock. And the vocals are very very good.

Def Leppard – Pyromania

“Pretty Boys + Loud Guitars = megabucks”. A noticeably more commercial sound form the band who were (incorrectly according the them) lumped in with the NWOBHM movement following their first two albums. The album sold like batshit in the US and a ‘star’ was borne. The last DL album I can stomach. The rest are plain awful radio  friendly vapor IMO. “Stagefright”, “Too Late for Love”, “Die Hard the Hunter”…great, great stuff.

Faster Pussycat – Wake Me When It’s Over

The juvenile, playful debut usually gets the credit but this follow-up is a more mature,  toughed-up version of Guns n Roses with a little bit of blues thrown in for hard measure. A real underground,  dirty, sleazy, sound pervades this release while straight ahead rockers “Slip of the Tongue”, “Pulling Weeds’ and “Aint No Way Around It” elevate this one above the crowd. Their best ever song “Where There’s a Whip There’s a Way” showcasing the depraved and twisted mindset of sex-crazed songwriter/vocalist Taime Downe (cool name).

Cinderella – Night Songs

The phrase “never judge a book by its cover” was never more apt than when describing Cinderella’s debut. Owing more to AC/DC hard rock than weak-sauce LA hair metal, the album produced on every front. Rough and ready vocals, crunching, hard rock driven guitars and some classic moments that were much heavier than they should have been. “Shake Me, “Somebody Save Me”, “Night Songs”, “Push Push”. It’s a shame that the stupid name & clothes put so many people off. They still don’t know what they missed.

Poison – Look What the Cat Dragged In

Hard Rock’s ‘worst’ album cover – check; Hard Rock’s worst ever lead guitarist – check, Hard Rock’s rocks worst ever drummer – check. Representing everything that was rotten and putrid with the music scene circa 1986, Poison’s punk infused glam drenched debut is so much better than the sum of its shitty individual parts. Rikki Rocket’s non-performance on drums during the recording is the stuff of legends; CC Deville’s “Look What the Cat Dragged In” solo voted the worst in history in a Guitar World poll…thank god for Bret Michaels. In one of life’s great mystery ”Talk Dirty to Me”, “Cry Tough”, and the  chugging title track all work to create Poisons best release of their career. Fuck me if I know how.

Skid Row - Skid Row

The band hated the weak-sounding production on the debut but the chicks loved it. “Youth Gone Wild”; “18 and Life”, “Big Guns”, “Sweet Little Sister” still stack up today as adrenalin soaked stadium fillers. Despite the look, Skid Row represented a "grittier, more street version of hair metal” and went noticeable heavier on the awesome follow-up “Slave to the Grind”. Hard to split the two but the debut continues giving to this very day.

Dokken – Back for the Attack.

Not as hard as the guitar driven debut yet more mature and hard rocking than the disappointing MTV-targeted “Under Lock and Key”, Dokken’s third strikes the perfect balance. A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 3 title track “Dream Warriors” got all the attention (and it’s a pretty good song) but there are some career highlights elsewhere in here  – “Heaven Sent”, “Prisoner”, “Stop Fighting Love”…and “Mr Scary”. Album was massive in Japan, less so everywhere else, internal strife found them out in the end. Plus Don lost his voice.

Special mentions: Van Halen debut, Motley Crue ‘Dr Feelgood’ & ‘Too Fast for Love’. Guns N Roses don’t count.

5 hours ago, True Belief said:

You forgot KISS Symphony.....

Nah, live albums don't count. Also, nah. 

3 hours ago, True Belief said:

Too Fast For Love may have started an entire movement but Shout is where the Crue hit legendary status. Razor sharp riffs, futuristic ‘escape from New York’ look and a swag of metal classics (Too fast for Love, Looks that Kill, Red Hot, Knock ‘em Dead Kid) cement this is one of the most influential albums of the 80s.

WASP – WASP

Too heavy for the LA scene but too gimmicky for the thrash fans, WASP were always an interesting bunch looking for a ‘home’. WASP ‘peaked with their debut and opening track “I Wanna Be Somebody” remains as ther finest moment. Follow-up “The Last Command” was an uneven, slicker affair with perhaps a couple of standouts tracks (including the incredible ‘Widowmaker’) but the buzzsaw cod-pieced, assless leather pant adorned debut smokes almost every debut this side of “Kill em All”. The production is glorious and the songs never waiver right to the end. “Hellion”, “School Daze”, “B.A.D”, “Tormentor”…a horrible but beautiful release.

This inclusion may surprise some but I will argue all day that had this been released in 1985 not 2005, it would have been huge. Silver’s final appearance on guitar is by far his best work, the album reached backwards to go forwards, clutching firmly at the band’s Dr Feelgood and early LA Guns influences. “Wake up Dead in a Garbage Can”, “Medicate Me”, “Sensitive to the Light”, “No Resistance”……it’s a Swedish version of LA-sleaze done right.

Fronted by Sweden’s Idol contestant Erik Gronwall, H.E.A.T leans towards AOR at times but what cannot be denied is the sheer quality of the songwriting and the vocal performance in this 20012 album. Taking influences equal parts Whitesnake + Def Leppard and perhaps late era-Scorpions, “Address the Nation” is right up there alongside Pyromania for radio friendly, stadium filling high energy (with guitars damn it!!) hard rock. And the vocals are very very good.

Def Leppard – Pyromania

“Pretty Boys + Loud Guitars = megabucks”. A noticeably more commercial sound form the band who were (incorrectly according the them) lumped in with the NWOBHM movement following their first two albums. The album sold like batshit in the US and a ‘star’ was borne. The last DL album I can stomach. The rest are plain awful radio  friendly vapor IMO. “Stagefright”, “Too Late for Love”, “Die Hard the Hunter”…great, great stuff.

The juvenile, playful debut usually gets the credit but this follow-up is a more mature,  toughed-up version of Guns n Roses with a little bit of blues thrown in for hard measure. A real underground,  dirty, sleazy, sound pervades this release while straight ahead rockers “Slip of the Tongue”, “Pulling Weeds’ and “Aint No Way Around It” elevate this one above the crowd. Their best ever song “Where There’s a Whip There’s a Way” showcasing the depraved and twisted mindset of sex-crazed songwriter/vocalist Taime Downe (cool name).

Cinderella – Night Songs

The phrase “never judge a book by its cover” was never more apt than when describing Cinderella’s debut. Owing more to AC/DC hard rock than weak-sauce LA hair metal, the album produced on every front. Rough and ready vocals, crunching, hard rock driven guitars and some classic moments that were much heavier than they should have been. “Shake Me, “Somebody Save Me”, “Night Songs”, “Push Push”. It’s a shame that the stupid name & clothes put so many people off. They still don’t know what they missed.

Hard Rock’s ‘worst’ album cover – check; Hard Rock’s worst ever lead guitarist – check, Hard Rock’s rocks worst ever drummer – check. Representing everything that was rotten and putrid with the music scene circa 1986, Poison’s punk infused glam drenched debut is so much better than the sum of its shitty individual parts. Rikki Rocket’s non-performance on drums during the recording is the stuff of legends; CC Deville’s “Look What the Cat Dragged In” solo voted the worst in history in a Guitar World poll…thank god for Bret Michaels. In one of life’s great mystery ”Talk Dirty to Me”, “Cry Tough”, and the  chugging title track all work to create Poisons best release of their career. Fuck me if I know how.

Skid Row - Skid Row

The band hated the weak-sounding production on the debut but the chicks loved it. “Youth Gone Wild”; “18 and Life”, “Big Guns”, “Sweet Little Sister” still stack up today as adrenalin soaked stadium fillers. Despite the look, Skid Row represented a "grittier, more street version of hair metal” and went noticeable heavier on the awesome follow-up “Slave to the Grind”. Hard to split the two but the debut continues giving to this very day.

Not as hard as the guitar driven debut yet more mature and hard rocking than the disappointing MTV-targeted “Under Lock and Key”, Dokken’s third strikes the perfect balance. A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 3 title track “Dream Warriors” got all the attention (and it’s a pretty good song) but there are some career highlights elsewhere in here  – “Heaven Sent”, “Prisoner”, “Stop Fighting Love”…and “Mr Scary”. Album was massive in Japan, less so everywhere else, internal strife found them out in the end. Plus Don lost his voice.

Special mentions: Van Halen debut, Motley Crue ‘Dr Feelgood’ & ‘Too Fast for Love’. Guns N Roses don’t count.

Interesting!

I'm surprised to hear you can't stomach any post-'Pyromania' Def Leppard, but I can definitely see what you mean. I can't believe you're excluding Guns n Roses! Also, I love your account of 'Look What the Cat Dragged In'. Hilarious stuff. I'd even go so far as to say that Bret Michaels is one of the worst vocalists in the scene as well.

You left out Warrant!! Poor Jani! 

I'm trying to think of other 'genres' to write lists about... 

5 hours ago, True Belief said: You forgot KISS Symphony.....

Nah, live albums don't count. Also, nah. 

3 hours ago, True Belief said:

WASP – WASP

Def Leppard – Pyromania

Cinderella – Night Songs

Skid Row - Skid Row

Interesting!

I'm surprised to hear you can't stomach any post-'Pyromania' Def Leppard, but I can definitely see what you mean. I can't believe you're excluding Guns n Roses! Also, I love your account of 'Look What the Cat Dragged In'. Hilarious stuff. I'd even go so far as to say that Bret Michaels is one of the worst vocalists in the scene as well.

You left out Warrant!! Poor Jani! 

I'm trying to think of other 'genres' to write lists about... 

I'll probably do a melodic-death top 10 when time permits.

Re Guns n Roses omission- I'm not convinced they belong in there (they probably do if WASP do) but their debut is on another level altogether in my opinion.

9 hours ago, True Belief said:

I'll probably do a melodic-death top 10 when time permits.

Re Guns n Roses omission- I'm not convinced they belong in there (they probably do if WASP do) but their debut is on another level altogether in my opinion.

That's the thing about them, they came out of the LA 80s scene, they play hard rock, they have a posing girly-man vocalist, yet for some reason they never seemed to 'fit'. It's the impression I get too, but I just thought to hell with it, they're going in. I think that's why I have so many books about the Guns n Roses story - it's one of the most unlikely and strange stories in music. 

On 26/5/2017 at 2:33 PM, Requiem said:

Requiem's Top 10 Hard Rock/Hair Metal Albums

I'd love to see the @Skull_Kollektor and my boy @True Belief do this list. 

Well done, amico mio! 

Your list is very focused on the late era, which is the one of the mega huge monster successes... hard to argue with the monster best seller that you have put in your list... BUT when we are talking post 1986 hair metal there is one major seller that HAS to be featured... and that is White Lion's "PRIDE" (indeed). Vito Bratta's melodic solos are unmatched. The tunes are great in their own right too, but it's his mesmerizing playing that really sets the record apart! 

It's impossibly hard for me to come up with a list... so what I can do now is pay tribute to the first movers in the scene. Without these bands, there would be no Poison, no Warrant, no Guns, no Skid, no Cinderella, and so on. No nothing!

Here are the most relevant records that spawned the whole movement in the early 80's, IMHO (which might not be so humble, but most certainly is mine).

1. Motley Crue - "Too Fast for Love". The real KICKSTARTER. The one on Leathur records. Nuff said.

2. WASP - "WASP". Sure, it came out in 1984, but Blackie had been a stapler for quite a while, crossing his path with Nikki and bringing New York to LA alongside his fellow former band mate in the NY Dolls and Killer Kane, Mr. Arthur Kane (who used to be the boyfriend of Stacia, the tall naked dancer that was featured as part of Hawkwind's stage show in their Lemmy days). Kickass.

3. Quiet Riot - "Metal Health". Famously known as the first heavy metal record to top the Billboard Pop Chart. If you ask me, it is not. Led Zeppelin did that multiple times, but obviously Led Zeppelin would be offended if you called them heavy metal. So it shall go down as the first heavy metal album in history to top the Billboard Chart and take pride in it! In 1983 they jumped ahead of competition. They made it to the Us Festival alongside Ozzy, Ratt, the Scorps, Motley, Triumph from Canada and the kings of the Strip, Van Halen (whose performance on that occasion was sub par... The best were The Scorpions, closely followed by Quiet Riot... Triumph ruled too, but their repertoire is inferior... Ozzy was coked outta his mind, which is good, but the Jake E Lee incarnation of his band was still warming up). Motormouth Dubrow lost momentum right away bad mouthing every other musician on the planet. In their Randy Rhoads days were part of the Starwood scene that also featured the self proclaimed "American Deep Purple" aka Legs Diamond, Starz, Angel (whenever they were in LA) and bands like Xciter (with George Lynch) and Dante Fox (soon to become Great White). BTW it is fairly obvious that VAN HALEN is the single most important hard rock band to come out of Los Angeles in the 70's.

4. Ratt - "Out of the Cellar". This record initially outsold "Shout at the Devil"! First example of the typical Beau Hill production. He went on to do every other band. Roxx Gang, the Storm, Warrant, Europe, Kix (check out "Midnite Dynamite", he used the exact same vocals processing that he used on Stephen Pearcy's vocals), you fucking name it! Huge seller. Super solid band and charismatic singer... up until then, of course. Pearcy overnight became notorious as THE OTHER asshole on the Strip (right next to Vince, of course). The songs were mostly courtesy of the big man, Robbin Crosby, also known as THE KING. Rightfully so, he is sorely missed. The Ratt EP is also mandatory to understand the early Strip scene.

5. Great White - Same. A wonderful record with loads of heavy metal guitars, amazing arrangements and the outstanding vocal talent of Jack Russell. I said it before, I will say it again. Had he had the looks of a Vince Neil or a Bret Michaels, GW would have been the winners and, to quote Dubrow, WINNERS TAKE ALL. He looked like the ugly motherfucker he is, so Motley Crue got the Lion's share.

6. Dokken - "Tooth and Nail". The debut album, "Breaking the Chains", showed some promise, but this one totally outshines (RIP Chris Cornell) it! Lynch gave all the Ozzy gunslingers and Van Halen wannabes a run for their money with his ingeniously constructed tapping master class in the title track. It's not about overcomplexity, it's about goddamn TASTE! And power too! Also check out the riff of "When Heaven Comes Down". Kiss already had a song with that riff ("Not for the Innocent" on the "Lick it Up" record), but it went on to become the typical Lynch riff. Funnily enough, musicians refer to those descending semitones as chromatic... but in Italy a journalist was inspired by the word to apply the concept of CHROME to basic hard rock. For that reason, Italian hair metal connoisseurs (yes, I am not the only one, there's many) refer to the sort of hard rock that leans on the heavy metal side as CHROMED hard rock (as in covered by an extra layer of slick metal). "When Heaven Comes Down" is like a blueprint for CHROMED HARD ROCK. Want more? Check out "Unchain the Night" from Dokken's follow up record, "Under Lock and Key".

7. Steeler - Same. Ron Keel teams up with Yngwie Malmsteen under Mike Varney's supervision. "Cold day in Hell" is a classic. Rik Fox on bass had ties with both WASP and Angel.

8. Stryper - "The Yellow and Black attack". I'm not the biggest Stryper fan on Earth, but when I saw them play live some 8 or 9 years ago they blew the place to the ground! They are gifted, God has been kind on them. Tim Gaines used to play in STORMER, one of the first Strip bands to use the pentagram. Then he found Christ (or the other way around), quit booze, drugs and witchery... The music was still wicked, though!

9. Black n Blue - Same. Hailing from Portland, Oregon. They came to Los Angeles with two fellow Portland bands: Wild Dogs and Malice. B'n'B were the most melodic of the three. "Hold on to 18" shoud have been HUGE. Dieter Dierks at the helm for this first record. Solid heavy metal. Tommy Thayer was good here.

10. Rough Cutt - Same. It only came out in 1985, but Rough Cutt definitely belong to the first wave of southern Californian heavy metal. Born from a rib of Ratt, the Paul Shortino led band found its place in the heart of Ronnie James and Wendy Dio. In later years a succession of singers tried out for them, including none other than Joe Leste of Bango Tango fame. Rough Cutt were very good, but just not as good as the above nine bands.

So here you go. These are the Top 10 albums of the Very First Wave of Southern Californian Hair Metal! Save this post for posterity, it's PLATINUM.

On 2/6/2017 at 8:52 AM, True Belief said:

Very nice list, but this is a capital sin! "Back for the Attack" is Dokken's FOURTH! 

1 Breaking the Chains

2 Tooth and Nail

3 Under Lock and Key

4 Back for the Attack

Also... I LOVE the Neil Kernon produced "Under Lock and Key"! It does have some UBER heavy and fast tunes. "When The Lightning Strikes Again", for instance. They opened the Judas Priest "Turbo" tour while promoting this record... Lucky for them that the Priest toned down their heaviness for this tour, so there wouldn't be so much of a starking contrast! Imagine Dokken opening the "Painkiller" promotional tour!

39 minutes ago, Skull_Kollektor said:

Well done, amico mio! 

Your list is very focused on the late era, which is the one of the mega huge monster successes... hard to argue with the monster best seller that you have put in your list... BUT when we are talking post 1986 hair metal there is one major seller that HAS to be featured... and that is White Lion's "PRIDE" (indeed). Vito Bratta's melodic solos are unmatched. The tunes are great in their own right too, but it's his mesmerizing playing that really sets the record apart! 

It's impossibly hard for me to come up with a list... so what I can do now is pay tribute to the first movers in the scene. Without these bands, there would be no Poison, no Warrant, no Guns, no Skid, no Cinderella, and so on. No nothing!

Here are the most relevant records that spawned the whole movement in the early 80's, IMHO (which might not be so humble, but most certainly is mine).

1. Motley Crue - "Too Fast for Love". The real KICKSTARTER. The one on Leathur records. Nuff said.

2. WASP - "WASP". Sure, it came out in 1984, but Blackie had been a stapler for quite a while, crossing his path with Nikki and bringing New York to LA alongside his fellow former band mate in the NY Dolls and Killer Kane, Mr. Arthur Kane (who used to be the boyfriend of Stacia, the tall naked dancer that was featured as part of Hawkwind's stage show in their Lemmy days). Kickass.

3. Quiet Riot - "Metal Health". Famously known as the first heavy metal record to top the Billboard Pop Chart. If you ask me, it is not. Led Zeppelin did that multiple times, but obviously Led Zeppelin would be offended if you called them heavy metal. So it shall go down as the first heavy metal album in history to top the Billboard Chart and take pride in it! In 1983 they jumped ahead of competition. They made it to the Us Festival alongside Ozzy, Ratt, the Scorps, Motley, Triumph from Canada and the kings of the Strip, Van Halen (whose performance on that occasion was sub par... The best were The Scorpions, closely followed by Quiet Riot... Triumph ruled too, but their repertoire is inferior... Ozzy was coked outta his mind, which is good, but the Jake E Lee incarnation of his band was still warming up). Motormouth Dubrow lost momentum right away bad mouthing every other musician on the planet. In their Randy Rhoads days were part of the Starwood scene that also featured the self proclaimed "American Deep Purple" aka Legs Diamond, Starz, Angel (whenever they were in LA) and bands like Xciter (with George Lynch) and Dante Fox (soon to become Great White). BTW it is fairly obvious that VAN HALEN is the single most important hard rock band to come out of Los Angeles in the 70's.

4. Ratt - "Out of the Cellar". This record initially outsold "Shout at the Devil"! First example of the typical Beau Hill production. He went on to do every other band. Roxx Gang, the Storm, Warrant, Europe, Kix (check out "Midnite Dynamite", he used the exact same vocals processing that he used on Stephen Pearcy's vocals), you fucking name it! Huge seller. Super solid band and charismatic singer... up until then, of course. Pearcy overnight became notorious as THE OTHER asshole on the Strip (right next to Vince, of course). The songs were mostly courtesy of the big man, Robbin Crosby, also known as THE KING. Rightfully so, he is sorely missed. The Ratt EP is also mandatory to understand the early Strip scene.

5. Great White - Same. A wonderful record with loads of heavy metal guitars, amazing arrangements and the outstanding vocal talent of Jack Russell. I said it before, I will say it again. Had he had the looks of a Vince Neil or a Bret Michaels, GW would have been the winners and, to quote Dubrow, WINNERS TAKE ALL. He looked like the ugly motherfucker he is, so Motley Crue got the Lion's share.

6. Dokken - "Tooth and Nail". The debut album, "Breaking the Chains", showed some promise, but this one totally outshines (RIP Chris Cornell) it! Lynch gave all the Ozzy gunslingers and Van Halen wannabes a run for their money with his ingeniously constructed tapping master class in the title track. It's not about overcomplexity, it's about goddamn TASTE! And power too! Also check out the riff of "When Heaven Comes Down". Kiss already had a song with that riff ("Not for the Innocent" on the "Lick it Up" record), but it went on to become the typical Lynch riff. Funnily enough, musicians refer to those descending semitones as chromatic... but in Italy a journalist was inspired by the word to apply the concept of CHROME to basic hard rock. For that reason, Italian hair metal connoisseurs (yes, I am not the only one, there's many) refer to the sort of hard rock that leans on the heavy metal side as CHROMED hard rock (as in covered by an extra layer of slick metal). "When Heaven Comes Down" is like a blueprint for CHROMED HARD ROCK. Want more? Check out "Unchain the Night" from Dokken's follow up record, "Under Lock and Key".

7. Steeler - Same. Ron Keel teams up with Yngwie Malmsteen under Mike Varney's supervision. "Cold day in Hell" is a classic. Rik Fox on bass had ties with both WASP and Angel.

8. Stryper - "The Yellow and Black attack". I'm not the biggest Stryper fan on Earth, but when I saw them play live some 8 or 9 years ago they blew the place to the ground! They are gifted, God has been kind on them. Tim Gaines used to play in STORMER, one of the first Strip bands to use the pentagram. Then he found Christ (or the other way around), quit booze, drugs and witchery... The music was still wicked, though!

9. Black n Blue - Same. Hailing from Portland, Oregon. They came to Los Angeles with two fellow Portland bands: Wild Dogs and Malice. B'n'B were the most melodic of the three. "Hold on to 18" shoud have been HUGE. Dieter Dierks at the helm for this first record. Solid heavy metal. Tommy Thayer was good here.

10. Rough Cutt - Same. It only came out in 1985, but Rough Cutt definitely belong to the first wave of southern Californian heavy metal. Born from a rib of Ratt, the Paul Shortino led band found its place in the heart of Ronnie James and Wendy Dio. In later years a succession of singers tried out for them, including none other than Joe Leste of Bango Tango fame. Rough Cutt were very good, but just not as good as the above nine bands.

So here you go. These are the Top 10 albums of the Very First Wave of Southern Californian Hair Metal! Save this post for posterity, it's PLATINUM.

Very nice list, but this is a capital sin! "Back for the Attack" is Dokken's FOURTH! 

1 Breaking the Chains

2 Tooth and Nail

3 Under Lock and Key

4 Back for the Attack

Also... I LOVE the Neil Kernon produced "Under Lock and Key"! It does have some UBER heavy and fast tunes. "When The Lightning Strikes Again", for instance. They opened the Judas Priest "Turbo" tour while promoting this record... Lucky for them that the Priest toned down their heaviness for this tour, so there wouldn't be so much of a starking contrast! Imagine Dokken opening the "Painkiller" promotional tour!

You're right, this is a platinum post! Amazing stuff. You're also right about my list leaning towards the end of the decade and the mega-sellers. I think this is because as a kid my musical consciousness only came about with the release of  'Dr Feelgood', 'Cherry Pie' and 'Slave to the Grind' (when I was 9, 10 and 11 respectively). 

The albums you've listed were all before my time and also flew under the radar in my limited knowledge of music at that time. Then as I grew up and my musical tastes expanded beyond hair metal into other genres I didn't have the compulsion to go back and explore these other bands. It's only now in my late 30s that I'm looking back and discovering what I've missed. True Belief helps with this too because he often talks about these bands and he's very persuasive as I guess everyone knows. 

Another winner from the Kollektor! 

Thanks it's a pleasure exchanging opinions! It feels real good to have an outlet for this!

Lists that come from the heart and an individual's personal experience/attachment to songs, artists and albums are THE BEST! I shall do mine too, but I'm always afraid to be disrespectful! You see, my records are very jealous and envious of one another. I have such a hard time ranking... I love them all! I'm a Kollektor, see? :D

That's why I tried to narrow the scope. When it comes to early 80's LA glamorous heavy metal on major label there really aren't many other bands... Night Ranger and Y&T could have been contenders, but they were both from San Francisco. The bay area had a quite different vibe... Keel could have been featured, but I think the Steeler debut is more relevant than any of their better produced albums on major label (they transitioned from Shrapnel to A&M to Vertigo to MCA to Atlantic!).

LA also had the plain vanilla heavy metal bands. Like Armored Saint, who got signed by Chrysalis and were produced by the dude who did Kiss's "Creatures of the Night" and "Lick It Up" (Michael "James" Jackson). OC had Leatherwolf (who ended up on Island records in the mid to late 80's) and... Slayer and Megadeth also were hanging around...

Yes yes of course "Breaking the Chains" was Dokken's debut! I think I forgot it because it's so average! I do own it though...

I would have loved to squeeze in Lizzy Borden's "Love You to Pieces" or "Visual Lies" but just couldn't.

Black n Blue " Hold in to 18" is glorious. What a song. A true anthem. Their first 2-3albums are all great actually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, True Belief said:

Yes yes of course "Breaking the Chains" was Dokken's debut! I think I forgot it because it's so average! I do own it though...

Totally makes sense. Only the first and the last song are very good. "Breaking the Chains" and "Paris is Burning". Everything else is half assed. 

The two Lizzy Borden albums you mentioned are plain awesome! Yesterday I gave a spin to "Deal with the Devil", something I had not done in quite a while. Save for the awkward occasional industrial influence (which is so sparse that it doesn't even bother in the end), it has some amazing moments! Like "Hell is for Heroes". One of the best heavy metal records ever recorded with Pro Tools!

20 minutes ago, True Belief said:

Black n Blue " Hold in to 18" is glorious. What a song. A true anthem. Their first 2-3albums are all great actually.

I'd rank the Black n Blue albums like this:

1 same (by a mile)

2 In Heat

3 Without Love

4 Nasty Nasty

"Without Love" is historically relevant, yet I prefer their fourth record (and second in a row with the Gene Simmons production tag on), "In Heat".

"Without Love" apparently is responsible for Bon Jovi's "Slippery When Wet". The Majestic Records reissue booklet (NOT written by Popoff) states tha Bon Jovi wanted Bruce Fairbairn as producer because he was impressed with his work on Black n Blue's record.

I think Fairbairn also did Krokus around this time and they were enjoying a fair amount of success, so it might also be that it was Krokus' album that Jon wanted to emulate!

14 minutes ago, True Belief said: Yes yes of course "Breaking the Chains" was Dokken's debut! I think I forgot it because it's so average! I do own it though...

Totally makes sense. Only the first and the last song are very good. "Breaking the Chains" and "Paris is Burning". Everything else is half assed. 

The two Lizzy Borden albums you mentioned are plain awesome! Yesterday I gave a spin to "Deal with the Devil", something I had not done in quite a while. Save for the awkward occasional industrial influence (which is so sparse that it doesn't even bother in the end), it has some amazing moments! Like "Hell is for Heroes". One of the best heavy metal records ever recorded with Pro Tools!

20 minutes ago, True Belief said:  

I'd rank the Black n Blue albums like this:

1 same (by a mile)

2 In Heat

3 Without Love

4 Nasty Nasty

"Without Love" is historically relevant, yet I prefer their fourth record (and second in a row with the Gene Simmons production tag on), "In Heat".

"Without Love" apparently is responsible for Bon Jovi's "Slippery When Wet". The Majestic Records reissue booklet (NOT written by Popoff) states tha Bon Jovi wanted Bruce Fairbairn as producer because he was impressed with his work on Black n Blue's record.

I think Fairbairn also did Krokus around this time and they were enjoying a fair amount of success, so it might also be that it was Krokus' album that Jon wanted to emulate!

I'd rate them:

1. Debut

2. Without Love

3. Nasty Nasty

4. In Heat

5. Hell Yeah (2011)

6 hours ago, True Belief said:

Can't believe I left Stay Hungry off the Top 10 list....

Tuneful record, but so and so production... I think they sounded best on "You Can't Stop Rock and Roll", but the songwriting prowess and diversity exhibited on "Stay Hungry" is unmatched (by them or any other band). Choke-full of hits!

The follow up, "Come Out and Play", is actually a great record too, save for the two meaningless singles... I mean, I do fancy the cover of "The Leader of the Pack" and I don't mind their collaboration with Alice Cooper on "Be Chrool to your Scuel", but come on, they're the least metal tracks on that record! Even "I Believe in You" and "King of the Fools", the ballads of the record, had more metal credibility than those! Besides, their school based video gimmick had run its course and the zombie thing had been done (to death, pun intended) by Michael Jackson on his "Thriller" video! That was a 13 fucking minutes long video, who would want any more zombies after that? With the benefit of hindsight, Twisted Sister really killed their own career with bad marketing moves...

Speaking of Twisted Sister made me think of the glamorous heavy metal polarization of the United States and how New York and Los Angeles, while being so dramatically different, were the two cities responsible for the whole movement. It's like New York started it all with the New York Dolls and KISS and even Twisted Sister (who started out in 1973 but simply didn't release an LP until the early 80's) and then Los Angeles embraced it and replicated it countless times adding many different colors and flairs in the process. New York might have had the intuition, but Los Angeles became the epicenter of the epidemic disease.

6 hours ago, True Belief said: Can't believe I left Stay Hungry off the Top 10 list....

Tuneful record, but so and so production... I think they sounded best on "You Can't Stop Rock and Roll", but the songwriting prowess and diversity exhibited on "Stay Hungry" is unmatched (by them or any other band). Choke-full of hits!

The follow up, "Come Out and Play", is actually a great record too, save for the two meaningless singles... I mean, I do fancy the cover of "The Leader of the Pack" and I don't mind their collaboration with Alice Cooper on "Be Chrool to your Scuel", but come on, they're the least metal tracks on that record! Even "I Believe in You" and "King of the Fools", the ballads of the record, had more metal credibility than those! Besides, their school based video gimmick had run its course and the zombie thing had been done (to death, pun intended) by Michael Jackson on his "Thriller" video! That was a 13 fucking minutes long video, who would want any more zombies after that? With the benefit of hindsight, Twisted Sister really killed their own career with bad marketing moves...

Speaking of Twisted Sister made me think of the glamorous heavy metal polarization of the United States and how New York and Los Angeles, while being so dramatically different, were the two cities responsible for the whole movement. It's like New York started it all with the New York Dolls and KISS and even Twisted Sister (who started out in 1973 but simply didn't release an LP until the early 80's) and then Los Angeles embraced it and replicated it countless times adding many different colors and flairs in the process. New York might have had the intuition, but Los Angeles became the epicenter of the epidemic disease.

Dee Snider's book(Shut Up and Give Mike) is extremely informative explaining the dilemma the band faced once signing with Atlantic Records and moving to a less-authentic sound purely for commercial success in the US. He's very honest about it - essentially admitting they sold their souls for success. And the ideas behind the follow-up Come Out and Play was to expand their appeal and try 2 typical

Metal songs, a couple of ballads, a couple of commercial tracks (the two singles) etc. dee admits they kinda got 'too clever' by half and ended up with a mess of an album. Then,they pretty much split up. Love Is For Suckers was supposed to be a Dee solo album but they were 'persuaded' to make it a TS album.....

Cool! Thanks, one more book I need to get my hands on!

So basically they did what Dee wrote in these verses from their song "The Price":

Oh it´s the price we gotta pay

And all the games we gotta play

Makes me wonder if it´s worth it to carry on

'Cause it´s a game we gotta lose

Though it´s a life we gotta choose

And the price is our own life until it´s done

"Love is for Suckers" has some good tracks. The title track (which is a cover) and "Wake Up the Sleeping Giant" are very cool, if you ask me.. "Hot Love" is not that bad either, but it's just plain ridiculous to have Dee Snider sing stuff like that while wearing pink Chuck Taylors!

They could never be a proper commercial hard rock band, though. They needed a hot shot guitarist for that and neither JJ nor Eddie were. They had to bring in Reb Beach to add some whammy wanking to the equation in "Love is for Suckers".

• 3 weeks later...

Requiem's Top 10 Albums that feature both a Male and Female Vocalist 

No single song guest appearances, both male and female singers must sing in at least 60% of the songs on the album.

10. Lacuna Coil - 'In a Reverie' (1999)

The era for classic male/female vocalist albums is more or less gone, but there was a time when they were ruling the turntable (well.. CD player) at Castle Requiem. The first full length from these Italian wannabes is a classic gothic metal album with those hints of pop metal adding flavour rather than flatness. Sure Cristina Scabbia overshadows poor old Andrea Ferro, but with songs like 'Circle', 'Honeymoon Suite' and 'My Wings' this album is killer. 

9. Battlelore - 'The Last Alliance' (2008)

Such an underrated band, although signed to Napalm records they did/do have their fans. This, their fifth album(!), is their best. The Tolkien inspired songs blend a sort of pagan metal approach with symphonic metal, creating juicy slabs of melodic metal steak. The winner is the female vocalist, Kaisa Jouhki, who has one of those beautiful Finnish voices that you can just listen to all night long. 

8. Nightwish - 'Dark Passion Play' (2007)

I keep bouncing between this one and 'Once' as my favourite, but I have to face facts and stick with this one. Look at the tracklist. Listen to the orchestra and choir. New vocalist Anette Olzon does a sterling job here, accompanied by good old Marco Hietala, but with songwriting this good from Tuomas Holopainen my mother in law could have done a decent job here. 

7. Draconian - 'The Burning Halo' (2006)

Technically a compilation album, this is nevertheless a real landmark. In fact, while I own a lot of Draconian albums, this is the only one that gives me chills. It's head and shoulders their best work. Anders Jacobsson and Lisa Johansson growl and soprano (it can be used as a verb, right?) their way through about the best gothic metal since the late 90s (see below). 

6. Eluveitie - 'Slania' (2008)

Like a lot of the albums on this list, it is the particular quality of the female vocalist that really elevates these songs, and here it is none other than Anna Murphy. What an amazing tone she has. Yes, Chrigel Glanzmann screams about the invading Romans a lot, but their two voices add flavour and balance to this amazing collection of fiddle and jig led pagan metal. Quality. 

5. Tristania - 'Beyond the Veil' (1999)

Now we're into the realm of the classics. My boi Morten Veland is basically at his peak here, contributing awesome vocals to Vibeke Stene's elegant gothic laments. Stene just has this great tone to her voice. Throw in a third, clean, male voice and you've got a gothic metal masterpiece. 

4. Tristania - 'Widow's Weeds' (1998)

Everything I said above except with a more simplistic and darker approach. You know this is on before you hit play because it stinks of classic the minute you walk in the room. 

3. Theatre of Tragedy - 'Velvet Darkness They Fear' (1996)

I would argue that the first Theatre of Tragedy album (their self-titled one before this) was the birth of gothic metal's beauty and the beast style vocals, and it is here that they are perfected. Liv Kristine's voice has to be heard to be believed. What the hell. And to have her singing those Elizabethan odes to lost love along with Raymond Rohonyi's growled voice - where they are often singing at the same time but completely different lines with different phrasing - is one of music's enduring pleasures. 

2. Shape of Despair - 'Angels of Distress' (2001)

I hesitated about including this because while Pasi Koskinen is all over this like mustard on my hotdog, his wife Natalie tends to use her voice more melodiously, almost like it's part of the music. She is singing constantly though, like a ghostly maiden through the midnight fog in the grounds of the manor house under moonlight, and it's magnificent. 

1. Theatre of Tragedy - 'Aegis' (1998)

There's something going on here with this album that hits me on a new level. Raymond has moved on to an exclusively spoken word type of delivery, and he and Liv Kristine tend to vocalise at different parts of the song rather than in tandem like the old days. This is much more stripped back, downbeat, repetitious and haunting than 'Velvet Darkness...', and this is my favourite album of all time that features an equal measure of male and female vocals. 

Requiem's Top 10 History Metal Albums 

I'm a history fanatic, especially European history, and I've accrued some masterpiece albums over the years that are based around a particular era or culture. Here is a list of the best of the best from the Requiem archives. To qualify, albums must have a clear and consistent historical theme, concept or lyrics.

10a. Eluveitie - 'Slania' (2008)

Theme: Gaulish resistance against Roman invasion. This album appears in quite a few of my lists due to the high quality of its melodic metal meets Irish jig stylings. Great emotional approach that champions European pagan lifestyle and laments Roman occupation. One of those 'die for your clan' type deals, and I'm ready to sign up to fight the cursed Romans. One of my all time favourite covers of the little blonde girl holding the sword. Amazing. 

10b. Ex Deo - 'Romulus' (2009)

Theme: The foundation of Rome. And here's the flipside! The whole concept here is brilliant and the title track is one for the ages. Fist-pumping anthems to Roman might in a mid-paced melodic metal meets pagan style. The artwork and booklet of this and the other Ex Deo albums are part of the allure. This makes me want to join the legions and invade Gaul! I never could make up my mind...

9. Marduk - 'Panzer Division Marduk' (1999)

Theme: WWII and the German Army. Ride with Marduk on a panzer as it enters the black metal blitzkrieg of blastbeats, screaming incoming bombs and the beauty and glory of hellish destruction. Short, fast, brutal and effective.  The original edition has a brilliant cover, looking down the barrel of a panzer. 

8. Enslaved - 'Eld' (1997)

Theme: Vikings. This includes probably the greatest viking metal track of all time in the epic '793 The Battle of Lindisfarne'. The atmosphere of this blackened viking metal is palpable. You can practically smell the salt air and feel the camaraderie. Great cover too of Grutle looking all viking king on this throne. 

7. Turisas - 'The Varangian Way' (2008)

Theme: Viking journey to Constantinople to join the Varangian guard. This could be too cartoonish for the denim and leather set, but the quality and professionalism of this release is amazing. The epic choirs, the accordion and violin, the cinematic vocals of Warlord Nygard. This was the band's peak because they couldn't get any more epic. Lyrics follow a narrative from the far north to Constantinople. 

6. Bathory - 'Hammerheart' (1990)

Theme: Viking/pagan life. The album that started a genre, this is epic, atmospheric and a lot of fun. The clean vocals of Quorthon are amazing. 'One Road to Asa Bay' is a great little narrative about the christianization of Sweden (and one man's resistance!). If I had a son I would pass this from 'Father to Son'... too bad I don't. 

5. Amorphis - 'Tales from the Thousand Lakes' (1994)

Theme: Pre-christian Finnish folk life. Amazing lyrics from the Finnish epic the 'Kalevala', this is one of metal's all time classics. Great melodies, great atmosphere. There are few albums that have such a palpable sense of history. When I put this on I'm transported the second the piano intro 'Thousand Lakes' begins. What a genius moment in time. Lyrics tell stories and tales from this era in Finland. 

4. Moonsorrow - 'Kivenkantaja' (2003)

Theme: Pre-christian Scandinavian life. This album floored me when I first heard it upon release. The quality of this pagan metal was so far beyond most other viking/pagan bands in ambition and pure quality. This is my favourite Moonsorrow album. 

3. Tyr - 'Eric the Red' (2003)

Theme: Viking Eric the Red's voyage to the New World. Can't believe this also came out in 2003. The first album with guitarist Heri on vocals, this blew my friends and I apart. Amazing vocals, amazing songwriting. Lyrics in English and the Faroese language. Listen to 'Regin Smidur' for, again, a palpable sense of history. It just feels so real. I'm proud to say that I had a copy of this on CD before they signed to Napalm and re-released it. That makes me kvlt. 

2a. Cradle of Filth - 'Cruelty and the Beast' (1998)

Theme: Countess Bathory and late 16th century Hungary. Yes, a Cradle of Filth album. But oh what an album. This is one of metal's all time classics with its blend of gothic horror, Maidenesque twin guitars, Hammer-horror keyboards and Dani Filth at the peak of his vocal and lyrical skills. The stunningly written narrative traces the moral descent of Elizabeth Bathory, and the atmosphere here is untouchable. 

2b. Theatre of Tragedy - 'Velvet Darkness They Fear' (1996)

Theme: Late 16th century love affairs. Similar era to the album above, yet this actually sounds goddamn Elizabethan. Harpsichord, Early Modern English lyrics, waltzes, this is the metal Shakespeare would have listened to. That's why it comes in at 2b or not 2b. That, and it's a masterpiece.

1. Amorphis - 'Elegy' (1996)

Theme: Pre-christian Finnish life. The follow-up to 'Tales from the Thousand Lakes' is one of the greatest things to happen to metal. New vocalist Pasi Koskinen brings the ancient lyrics from the 'Kalevala' and the 'Kanteletar' to life, this time mixing with Tomi Koivusaari's growls. Genius keyboard melodies. Check out 'Better Unborn' and the glorious and sad 'The Orphan'. A masterpiece and the best history metal album every produced. 

Requiem's Top 10 Ozzy Osbourne Involved Albums

Is he a one man genre? No. Should this list be here? Probably not. But as a huge Ozzy fan I really wanted to create a list of my personal favourite albums that he has appeared on (and not necessarily his best vocal performances, although let's face it, they're mostly the same on each album...). This list is dedicated to Bob Daisley and Bill Ward. 

10. Ozzy Osbourne - 'The Ultimate Sin' (1986)

It hurts me deeply to leave 'No Rest for the Wicked' off this list, but it just doesn't fit. Hell, 'Sabbath Bloody Sabbath' isn't here either, but that's due to a weak Side B. The debut Sabbath album also misses out because it's too rough and jammy and contains two covers that don't excite me. However, 'The Ultimate Sin' is an album that just surprises with how great it is. Nine quality 80s rockers including 'Shot in the Dark' and the hugely underrated 'Secret Loser'. The second Jake E Lee album. God I love Jake E Lee. 

9. Black Sabbath - 'Vol 4' (1971)

A quality album, songs like 'Supernaut' and 'Snowblind' stand the test of time, and the whole thing reeks of classic era Sabbath. Every riff is special. 'Changes' is cool too. 

8. Ozzy Osbourne - 'Diary of a Madman' (1981)

The lesser Randy Rhoads album, this is still brilliant and book-ended with two of his best with 'Over the Mountain' and the title track. It's not quite the classic that some pundits claim, but it's a fantastic album nonetheless. 

7. Black Sabbath - 'Master of Reality' (1971)

The album about God. And.. marijuana. It's hard to fault this slab of quality riffage and it really could place higher. The coughing at the start of 'Sweet Leaf' by Iommi is kvlt. Ozzy and Iommi seem to love 'Children of the Grave' as they're always playing it, but I think it's a tad overrated to be honest. 

6. Ozzy Osbourne - 'Bark at the Moon' (1983)

The first Jake E Lee album, this album contains some of Bob Daisley's best lyrics including 'Now You See It (Now You Don't)', which is aimed at Sharon. Every single song here is some of the best metal you'll hear except for the awful 'So Tired', although that track has one of metal's worst and most hilarious videos to make up for it. 

5. Ozzy Osbourne - 'Ozzmosis' (1995)

Placing this at 5 could drop a monocle or two, but it's well deserved. My friends and I loved this upon release. Songs like 'Perry Mason' and 'Old LA Tonight' are amazing and I won't hear a bad word about it. The production is incredible too. It's like the Beatles or something. It's hard to rate against the 80s classics as it's a different kettle of fish (and chips). 

4. Black Sabbath - 'Sabotage' (1975)

This album is hard to quantify, but it's something special and I love it dearly. It's got everything, from the traditional chug of 'Hole in the Sky' to the operatic drama of 'Supertzar', and the fabulous 'The Writ' about the managers that ripped them off. This is a work of art. Genius cover too and it really characterises the era. Look at Ozzy's dress thing that he's wearing. 

3. Ozzy Osbourne - 'No More Tears' (1991)

The blockbuster and my first Ozzy album as a wee 12 year old. The title track is so good that it's almost beyond measure. The album is Zakk Wylde's best work and you could put any of these tracks on at Castle Requiem and I'll shake your hand. Stunning production and cover too. I'm a little upset that Bob Daisley hasn't written the lyrics, but Lemmy wrote a few and they go alright. 

2. Ozzy Osbourne - 'Blizzard of Ozz' (1980)

The next two albums are head and shoulders the best. When Ozzy linked up with the songwriting genius of Bob Daisley, drummer Lee Kerslake and some skinny kid called Randy, magic happened. The classics on this album are almost too much to bear, with 'Mr Crowley', 'Crazy Train', 'Suicide Solution'. Even 'No Bone Movies' is amazing. It also has some emotional depth with 'Revelation (Mother Earth)'. Ozzy may have said 'goodbye to romance' but he was saying hello to something very special indeed. I have this shirt by the way and I'm probably going to wear it tomorrow. 

1. Black Sabbath - 'Paranoid' (1970)

There's a reason why this is the traditional 'best Sabbath' album, and I know it's trendy and edgy these days to pass over this, but I just can't do it. Look at the songs: 'War Pigs', 'Iron Man', 'Planet motherfucking Caravan'. I know we're all sick of the title track, but its essence is brilliance. Think back to the first time you heard it as a kid. My crystal clear memory of the first time I came across Black Sabbath involves me being amazed as a young teenager at the title 'Fairies Wear Boots'. I couldn't believe it. What hell!? It was an incredible concept, then when I heard the track I couldn't believe it either. It became one of our partying staples. To this day it remains my favourite Sabbath song. This album just blows my mind and it's my favourite album with Ozzy Osbourne on it. 

14 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

Black Sabbath and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath seem to be missing...

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Feel free to read the actual words in the post! ;)

Edit: hint, it's in the explanation for the number 10 spot if you can't be bothered plowing through the lot. I do love those albums though and I feel bad that they're out, especially 'SBS'.

Last I checked Ozzy hasn't recorded ten albums with Black Sabbath. Just sayin'

In the spirit of this thread here goes nothing.

RelentlessOblivions's Top 10 Black Metal albums

1. Venom - Black Metal

For histoic importance alone this has to take top spot. That aside everything about this album is outstanding. The songs are top notch. The hateful atmosphere of black metal is on display perfectly. Lay down your souls to the gods rock and roll.

2. Bathory - Blood Fire Death

A masterpiece from Quorthon and co. Evil, aggressive, and with tinges of the sound to come. What more needs to be said?

3. Ulver - Bergtatt

I'll keep this short and sweet. This is a masterpiece. Listen to it NOW!

4. Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas

You must be living under a rock if you don't know about this one.

5. Darkthrone - A Blaze In The Northern Sky

It's evil, it's full of riffs, what a record.

6. Dissection - Storm Of The Light's Bane

Melodies, atmosphere, a magnificent album.

7. Cradle Of Filth - Cruelty Of The Beast

This is EXACTLY what melodic/symphonic black metal should sound like.

8. Tormento - Anno Domini

A fantastic album. Among the prime examples of what black metal done right is like.

9. Absu - Tara

Celtic themes, killer riffs, ungodly drumming, yeah this is a must own album.

10. Bethlehem - Dark Metal

Blurring the lines with this black/doom album but it is something else.

14 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said: Black Sabbath and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath seem to be missing...

Feel free to read the actual words in the post! [emoji6]

Edit: hint, it's in the explanation for the number 10 spot if you can't be bothered plowing through the lot. I do love those albums though and I feel bad that they're out, especially 'SBS'.

You're right, I just looked through the number sequence quickly while eating breakfast this morning. My bad.

3 hours ago, BlutAusNerd said:

You're right, I just looked through the number sequence quickly while eating breakfast this morning. My bad.

What a great way to start your day. Breakfast and Requiem's top ten lists!

10 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Last I checked Ozzy hasn't recorded ten albums with Black Sabbath. Just sayin'

Last I checked he hasn't recorded 10 albums with Bob Daisley, which I think is the greater - indeed, the ultimate - sin. 

Requiem's Top Ten Self-Titled Albums

This was actually a lot harder than I thought it would be as I couldn't think of any damn self-titled albums. 

10. Wintersun (2004)

History has proven these court jesters to be entertaining in more ways than one, but there's no denying this is a cracker album. Jari's first musical release after parting from Ensiferum, this album has become something of a classic amongst some people and remained their only release until 'Chinese Dem'- sorry, 'Time 1' many years later. I have no idea how they reached festival headlining status based on this, but there you go. 

9. Thyrfing (1998)

The debut album from these Swedish vikings is their most organic work before they polish things up later on. This is a great viking metal album with just enough melody to keep the oars moving without any of the syrupy sweetness of some of their peers. Features one of my all time favourite vocalists in Thomas Vaananen. 

8. Bathory (1984)

Hard to argue with this little satanic nugget. For me it's the first 'proper' black metal album, and there's just such a great atmosphere going on here. It's pure, it's dark and its meaningful. 

7. Skid Row (1989)

One of the all time great rock albums. 'Big Guns', '18 and Life', 'Youth Gone Wild'. Sebastian Bach's vocals are out of this world, with his ego soon to follow...

6. Borknagar (1996)

I had to double-check the date for this one because it really feels a lot older. This is the band's most viking/pagan sounding release and it lacks the progressive bells and whistles of their later incarnations. This is an amazing album and harkens back to the idea of art rather than career. All song titles are in Norwegian, Garm is on vocals, Ivar Bjornson from Enslaved is on keyboards and Infernus from Gorgoroth plays the bass in a black metal supergroup. 

5. Whitesnake (1987)

More commonly known by the year of its release, I'm in love with this Coverdale/Sykes masterpiece. 'Still of the Night', 'Is this Love' (yes it is, Dave), 'Cryin in the Rain', it's just hit after hit of 80s rock perfection with a once in a lifetime production. 

4. Theatre of Tragedy (1995)

The debut from these Norwegian gothic metallers, this is where the world first heard the divine Liv Kristine and Raymond's Elizabethan theatrics. It's a touch rougher than their masterpieces to follow, but this is a fantastic album and really does feel like one's listening to music from the past. Look, I'm one step away from wearing frilly white shirts and lighting candles. I've come to peace with this. 

3. Black Sabbath (1970)

The classic debut that arguably started this genre called metal, it's not quite the masterpiece that everyone makes out as far as I'm concerned, but there's no denying its weighty awesomeness. Obviously the title track is a goddamn masterpiece, while 'N.I.B' (as if it doesn't stand for Nativity in Black...), and 'Behind the Wall of Sleep' (title has always reminded me of the Lovecraft story 'Beyond the Wall of Sleep') are Sabbath classics. One of the greatest album covers too. A true part of history that defies mere music. 

2. Burzum (1992)

So many great Norwegian releases making an appearance on this list. They love a good self-titled album, the Norwegians. This is black metal head and shoulders above most others, with a tracklist that reads like a second wave best of. Varg before he lost his way from the dark path to the crazy path. 

1. Paradise Lost (2005)

This is a brilliant album and I'll tell you why. It sits right at the crossroads of the band between the 'Host' era beeps and squeaks and the heavy form of the band that bookends their career so far. This album here is heavy-ish, yet has an almost pop sense of melody throughout it with a near perfect production. It's just brilliant, and is one of my favourite Paradise Lost albums and comes in at the number 1 position for self-titled albums for Reqqers.