Welcome to Metal Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to stalk this  
Stalkers 0
fumigate

new SUFFOCATION track

SUFFOCATION - Your Last Breaths (OFFICIAL 360 VISUALIZER VIDEO)

good song, really like it...but...the prod seems a little "too good" for death metal...at least too good for this style. maybe i'm just used to Suffo having much darker old school sounding prod but the clarity and clean/crispness of it seems like it's taking away from the brutality and darkness you want from Suffo and death metal in general.

i'll most likely grab it anyways, the prod doesn't ruin the song by any means, just something that sticks out a bit to me.

I am undecided to be honest, I can hear the work and skill going on with the drums but fuck me do they sound triggered and clicky.  Not much wrong with it but I doubt I will be buying it.

Pretty hard to tell what the sound will be like from a Youtube stream. I hear what you're saying about the drums, though, they sound pretty lifeless despite all of their complexity. The song is ok, but doesn't really go anywhere, and feels repetitive. I'm looking forward to hearing the rest of the album anyway.

23 hours ago, MacabreEternal said:

I can hear the work and skill going on with the drums but fuck me do they sound triggered and clicky. 

unfortunately thats the current way most bands do it. its great for your DIY musician/band but you'd hope the pros could still pull off the classic non-triggered drums.

3 minutes ago, fumigate said:

unfortunately thats the current way most bands do it. its great for your DIY musician/band but you'd hope the pros could still pull off the classic non-triggered drums.

It's a new drummer, I'm not familiar with the guy. Maybe that's just his sound. A lot of those classic albums were triggered too, and there's a lot of sample-based augmentation going on with high-end modern recording. It's not necessarily evil. They definitely overdid it here though. Kinda bothered me to see somebody post yesterday about how they weren't "much of a Suffocation fan" but this one had finally won them over somehow. Made me wonder what was wrong with their ears. But hey, whatever works, I guess...

i can see the new Suffo winning new metalheads over because it fits the modern sound. i got hardcore into the underground in the late 90's and  i could barely listen to stuff from the early 90's because it was too raw...everything sounded like a demo to me... so take a kid listening to modern shit and show them anything pre-2000 and they may immediately dismiss it...especially when you have thousands upon thousands of options at your fingers tips... growing up in the 90's, and obviously before that, music meant more and you gave it more of a chance because it wasn't easy to just grab something else.

3 minutes ago, fumigate said:

i can see the new Suffo winning new metalheads over because it fits the modern sound. i got hardcore into the underground in the late 90's and  i could barely listen to stuff from the early 90's because it was too raw...everything sounded like a demo to me... so take a kid listening to modern shit and show them anything pre-2000 and they may immediately dismiss it...especially when you have thousands upon thousands of options at your fingers tips... growing up in the 90's, and obviously before that, music meant more and you gave it more of a chance because it wasn't easy to just grab something else.

For sure, it takes a while to open up to different sounds - I had kind of a hard time going the other direction. The "modern death metal" sound was initially a turn-off for me. I'm just wondering what people would get out of the new Suffo that they wouldn't get out of Blood Oath or Pinnacle.