Jump to content
Sign in to stalk this  
Requiem

Post your metal collection photos

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Someone who didn't know you well might be forgiven for thinking you were obsessed.

I'm actually wearing the Mayhem hoody right now, so you could be right...

I just find everything about the Mayhem story fascinating, even more so than my Sabbath/Ozzy fascination. The way the band got together in Ski in a very non-metal environment, the letter writing era, the travelling around by train and the crazy stories, Metalion's involvement, the personalities of Dead and Euro, the Helvete store, the 'scene', the suicide and murder, the different line-ups, their live shows, their merch, the huge wealth of old photos and personal anecdotes, even their logo. And of course the amazing music over the years. It's just an intriguing narrative that spans 33 years and counting....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/5/2017 at 1:00 AM, Requiem said:

Great post. Sorry I missed it until now. 

At one point Ozzy claimed that he wrote the 'Bark at the Moon' album with one finger on a piano, oh the lies.

Apparently Jake E Lee wouldn't hand over any of the riffs he wrote for 'The Ultimate Sin' until Sharon gave him a proper lock-in contract so that he could get credit and payment. At least he got those things but then booted out. I have a feeling if memory serves that Bob Daisley wrote all the lyrics for 'Bark at the Moon' for a one off payment. So yeah, the 'All songs by Ozzy Osbourne' foolishness is a total nonsense on that album as he didn't write a damn thing. Imagine the nerve, trying to tell the press that he wrote all those incredible guitar riffs with one finger on a piano. Even in a drunken haze how could anyone disrespect the songwriter and themselves to that extent. 

Then they wouldn't pay Phil Soussan properly for 'Shot in the Dark' on 'The Ultimate Sin'. I mean, it just goes on and on...

It just amazes me how much of a sociopath Sharon is, and how much of a goddamn walk-over Ozzy is. Everyone blames Sharon, and that's ok on some level because clearly she is the mastermind, but Ozzy follows around like a damn dog. How could he even consider those buffoons Rob Trujillo and Mike Bordin re-recording the drum and bass on the first two albums?? How any of that got off the ground at all, by the participants, the record label, and Ozzy, is just beyond me. It makes me angry, even today. 

Skully, have you got Bob Daisley's book 'For Facts Sake'? If you don't have it, please get it. It's incredible and exposes all the details of these matters. 

 

 

I need that Daisley book, thanks! At least my girlfriend bought me the Pearcy book. Will read it in July/August lying on the beach... Need a holiday. Bad.

As for the Ozzy and Sharon dynamics... I think Ozzy is an emotionally impaired selfish fuck who genuinely cares for people but has an attention span of like 16 seconds before his brains (or whatever it is that pulls his strings) force him to act like a crazy motherfucker and drop his pants, take a public dump, or attempt some other fucked up shit like peeing on monuments or snorting ants or chewing bats and the like. I wouldn't say he is (or used to be) deliberately bad, he simply couldn't be bothered by the consequences of any of his actions. He might feel guilty or regret for a moment or two... but he would always wash away his sins with alcohol and recreational drugs. He spent a whole life numbed to the point of becoming totally dumb! I don't blame Oz. He has a simple, yet somehow tormented and restless soul.

Pete Way of UFO has a new book out. I read an excerpt that got published in the latest issue of the UK magazine called Classic Rock. It's about his bass playing days in the Ozzy band. Crazy anecdotes, as usual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Skull_Kollektor said:

I need that Daisley book, thanks! At least my girlfriend bought me the Pearcy book. Will read it in July/August lying on the beach... Need a holiday. Bad.

As for the Ozzy and Sharon dynamics... I think Ozzy is an emotionally impaired selfish fuck who genuinely cares for people but has an attention span of like 16 seconds before his brains (or whatever it is that pulls his strings) force him to act like a crazy motherfucker and drop his pants, take a public dump, or attempt some other fucked up shit like peeing on monuments or snorting ants or chewing bats and the like. I wouldn't say he is (or used to be) deliberately bad, he simply couldn't be bothered by the consequences of any of his actions. He might feel guilty or regret for a moment or two... but he would always wash away his sins with alcohol and recreational drugs. He spent a whole life numbed to the point of becoming totally dumb! I don't blame Oz. He has a simple, yet somehow tormented and restless soul.

Pete Way of UFO has a new book out. I read an excerpt that got published in the latest issue of the UK magazine called Classic Rock. It's about his bass playing days in the Ozzy band. Crazy anecdotes, as usual.

No one seems to blame Ozzy, not even Bob Daisley.

I just think on some level he has to be held at least partly responsible for hiding away behind foolish behaviour and alcohol. Obviously he has a drinking problem that is beyond his personal control and I'm not going to be one of those people who says "Why don't you just drink less?", but at the same time, all the backstabbing that he let go on of his friends... It's like, damn Oz. 

I only say all this out of love for Ozzy Osbourne. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Skull_Kollektor said:

Well said, I totally agree! Being out of control doesn't prevent you from being liable of your misconducts and negligences.

I don't even know if this sentence makes sense in English, but I assume the message gets through anyway.

It's a great sentence and its meaning is loud and clear. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had quite a big tape collection when I first got into metal (which shows my age), then by the time I properly got back into it we were well into the digital age. So I don't have many original CDs. But I'm trying to remedy that...

CDs_1.jpg 

CDs_2.jpg 

...five more in the post and counting :D

Oh, and can you tell I like Scream Bloody Gore at all?

Framed_Death_Scream_Bloody_Gore_original 

Death_Hoodie.jpg 

Death_Bobblehead.jpg 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2017 at 7:50 PM, Thrashman said:

Had quite a big tape collection when I first got into metal (which shows my age), then by the time I properly got back into it we were well into the digital age. So I don't have many original CDs. But I'm trying to remedy that...

CDs_1.jpg

CDs_2.jpg

New purchases since those photos were taken: 

New_CDs_29082017.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Vampyrique said:

Keeping the thirst alive! My Theatres des Vampires collection. Forgot to include a couple of items and haven't cared to buy anything recent by them as I prefer TdV when they had their original singer. 

zl1xidu.jpg

Obr5KO4.jpg

Formidable! (said in French). I don't own a single Theatre des Vampires release. I guess I should check a few out. Knowing my taste, do you have any recommendations? That candlestick, by the way, is tres formidable! 

Also, did you see the photos in this thread (on page one and two) of my black metal collection, Mayhem collection (with info), Black Sabbath/Ozzy collection and Paradise Lost collection? As for what the Countess thinks about my menacing menagerie of metal musical movements, let's just say it's not in her blood and therefore she'll never understand. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Requiem said:

Formidable! (said in French). I don't own a single Theatre des Vampires release. I guess I should check a few out. Knowing my taste, do you have any recommendations? That candlestick, by the way, is tres formidable! 

Also, did you see the photos in this thread (on page one and two) of my black metal collection, Mayhem collection (with info), Black Sabbath/Ozzy collection and Paradise Lost collection? As for what the Countess thinks about my menacing menagerie of metal musical movements, let's just say it's not in her blood and therefore she'll never understand. 

 

Theatres des Vampires are not for everyone. They are basically built on Italian horror films, black metal, gothic metal, death rock, opera and vampire novels. Some people call them cheesy but they’re one for theatrics and basically follow in the foot steps of King Diamond (despite not sounding anything like KD). Not sure how to post youtbe videos here but I provided some links.   

 

Iubilaeum Anno Dracula 2001 is an EP similar to Bloody Lunatic Asylum. It includes the greatest homage ever delivered to Count Dracula in the song Dracole Waide! Love never dies!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RatoKtPBIW0

 

Suicide Vampire is their most vicious release whilst also being their most operatic and catchy very much like a musical. It’s Argento-esque in its delivery and appreciation for Italian horror cinema.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIOmrDlxy-4

 

Bloody Lunatic Asylum is my favourite. It shows the many facets of the band. Every song is different including a great cover of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata. Incredible atmosphere! Till the Last Drop of Blood!    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvZrZICjg0M

 

@Requiem

And yes, only recently did I venture into this part of the forum and check out your collection photos. Excellent stuff. You've got quite an outstanding Paradise Lost and Ozzy collection too! 

I am curious to know about some of the books. How is the Mayhem book The Death Archives that you had ordered? And what are those black metal books on the lower left of the photo? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Vampyrique said:

Theatres des Vampires are not for everyone. They are basically built on Italian horror films, black metal, gothic metal, death rock, opera and vampire novels. Some people call them cheesy but they’re one for theatrics and basically follow in the foot steps of King Diamond (despite not sounding anything like KD). Not sure how to post youtbe videos here but I provided some links.   

 

Iubilaeum Anno Dracula 2001 is an EP similar to Bloody Lunatic Asylum. It includes the greatest homage ever delivered to Count Dracula in the song Dracole Waide! Love never dies!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RatoKtPBIW0

 

Suicide Vampire is their most vicious release whilst also being their most operatic and catchy very much like a musical. It’s Argento-esque in its delivery and appreciation for Italian horror cinema.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIOmrDlxy-4

 

Bloody Lunatic Asylum is my favourite. It shows the many facets of the band. Every song is different including a great cover of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata. Incredible atmosphere! Till the Last Drop of Blood!    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvZrZICjg0M

 

I remember now doing a youtube sweep of them some time back. I'm now listening to the 'Bloody Lunatic Asylum' album. I'm willing to give them a good go. Most of what I'm hearing is pretty cool so far. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Requiem said:

I remember now doing a youtube sweep of them some time back. I'm now listening to the 'Bloody Lunatic Asylum' album. I'm willing to give them a good go. Most of what I'm hearing is pretty cool so far. 

They got compared to Cradle of Filth a lot (hence why I became a fan in the first place) but I always thought the two were very different despite sharing some commonalities. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cradle of Filth collection. I don't own any shirts, and the one DVD I own I forgot to include in the picture. Their image and the tomfoolery has always bothered me, but (most of the music) does it for me. 

Cradle_Collection.jpg

 

Non-black metal CD collection, although there are probably about 20 CDs spread out between my car and a couple of stereos. To view my black metal collection please proceed to page 1 of this thread. 

CD_Collection_Total.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2017 at 7:50 PM, Thrashman said:

Had quite a big tape collection when I first got into metal (which shows my age), then by the time I properly got back into it we were well into the digital age. So I don't have many original CDs. But I'm trying to remedy that...

CDs_1.jpg

CDs_2.jpg

On 8/29/2017 at 3:12 PM, Thrashman said:

New purchases since those photos were taken: 

New_CDs_29082017.jpg

...and some more:

pt12.jpg

pt13.jpg

pt14.jpg

pt15.jpg

pt16.jpg

pt17.jpg

pt18.jpg

pt19.jpg

pt20.jpg

pt21.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cradle of Filth collection. I don't own any shirts, and the one DVD I own I forgot to include in the picture. Their image and the tomfoolery has always bothered me, but (most of the music) does it for me. 
Cradle_Collection.jpg
 
Non-black metal CD collection, although there are probably about 20 CDs spread out between my car and a couple of stereos. To view my black metal collection please proceed to page 1 of this thread. 
CD_Collection_Total.jpg


I see Dusk and her Embrace ‘Original Sin’ in there....thoughts??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, True Belief said:

 


I see Dusk and her Embrace ‘Original Sin’ in there....thoughts??

 

Vampyrique and I have waxed lyrical about it over in the Cradle Filth thread in the Gothic Metal forum. Head over and catch up on the latest authoritative opinions on it. Basically I think it's cool and fun but it's not a shadow on the original. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the vaults at Castle Requiem.

Hear the voices of medieval Karelian peasants as they live their lives through the Kalevala; soar with the wings of eagles over blue seas; climb the mountain inside yourself and listen to the skull of a bear. Amorphis collection:

 

Amorphis_photos.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to stalk this  

  • Join Metal Forum

    joinus-home.jpg

  • Your Ad Here
    Support the forum, get a special badge and promote yourself to thousands of Metal fans. Click the above link to get started!
  • Our picks

    • Variety is the spice of life, so they say.  Someone might want to mention this to Legion of the Damned.  Picking up right were Venom left off last week in the the generic stakes, "Slaves of the Shadow Realm" churns out a largely unvaried, unremarkable and unmemorable thrash metal with the odd splash of death and black metal smatterings here and there.  To give you some idea of how hard going this is I have to wait three whole tracks to here a lead guitar!  I love good chug fest as much as the next man but when it is the only flavour in the dish its impact on the palette diminishes quickly.

      I can't honestly tell if the album is supposed to be one long song accidentally edited to give gaps to give the illusion of it being several tracks?  Some tracks just start very lazy (Slaves of the Southern Cross) whilst others just allude to some slight break of pace from the previous track before going off on the exact same pace, in the exact same direction (Nocturnal Commando).

      The frustration is that when they get it at least half right and vary things just a touch, they can put together some enjoyable pieces (Warhounds of Hades) but the memorability factor still struggles to register much above a 0, even in these moments.


      By far the pinnacle of the record is "Black Banners in Flames", a menacing thrasher of a track that allows for some relent in the ferocity stakes to apply some melody to create that aforementioned menace.  Otherwise I feel that I have had a sub par meal at a restaurant.  The chefs are perfectly competent (no Michelin stars here though folks) and the ingredients are all of reasonable quality, sourced responsibly enough, but there's little attempt at seasoning and so everything just seems bland.  It sounds like the vocalist is holding this together really.  Swinkels performance on all tracks is obviously a notch up from his band mates' which is a shame because he deserves better really.



      2/5 (2019 is not starting well)
      • Reputation Points

      • 0 replies
    • 37 years on, can Venom still cut it? Find out here:
      https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/40-venom-storm-the-gates/
      • Reputation Points

      • 0 replies
    • At the start of pulling this list together I had thought it to have been a "light" year for BM releases.  It was only when I got into compiling my "Best of 2018" that I realised it had in fact been quite a good year.  2018 in BM saw the return of some well established acts, some of them doing what they have always done well whereas others took to the recording studios minus long standing members.  When all is said and done, I think it all turned out rather well.

      Click the link to read more.

      • Reputation Points

      • 10 replies
    • It was 2014 when Corpsessed released their debut full length and mighty fucking good it was too.  Some 4+ years later and it is time for the sophomore release to land in my music stream and seek my attention.  When I say seek I actually mean possess my attention.  Although the album is by no means perfect, this record grabs hold of you by your very soul, dragging it off on a journey littered with horror, darkness and crushing heaviness to boot.  One of its main successes is the atmosphere that is obvious from the opening of "Impetus of  the Dead" and plays an integral part over the remainder of the release.

      It is a very well structured album too, with strong song writing that layers tracks up to behemoth size and proportions.  Yet at the same time there's a real sense of balance too, for every cavernous and mammoth like structure there's shorter and more intense bursts that whilst moving the pace slightly away from the heaviness, don't distract too much from it.  "Paroxsymal" and "Sortilege" are great examples of this, two well placed tracks that add a variety to the pace and increase the memorability of the whole experience.


      The album only has two weak points for me.  The penultimate track on the record seems just a random and not altogether necessary inclusion, especially given the quality of "Forlorn Burial" before it and the vast ending of "Starless Event Horizon" after it.  Secondly, the production does seem to give off a muddled sound on some tracks although the horror of the atmosphere and those lead guitars certainly do rescue the day on more than one occasion.  In a year that has struggled overall to bring many standout DM records, "Impetus of Death" will be a welcome addition to any fan's Top 10 DM Albums of 2018 no doubt.  It is one of the stronger records of 2018 and also a fine step up from their debut offering also which makes me excited for album number 3.

       

      4/5
      • Reputation Points

      • 0 replies
    • Behemoth "I Loved You At Your Darkest"
      The first song I heard ahead the full 2014 release ("The Satanist") from Behemoth was "Blow Your Trumpets Gabriel".  It immediately peaked my interest, setting the tone nicely for what was to become one of my favoured full lengths of that year.  This time around I heard "God = Dog" (which I think means the band are more cat people?).  It sounded blunted and frankly restrained.  Yes, there was a brief passage of some interesting string work towards the end but generally it just passed me by.  Sadly, just as my experience of the lead song/single from 2014 was an excellent benchmark for my expectation of the full length, the same has happened in 2018 but with a very different outcome.

      "I Loved You At Your Darkest" rarely achieves touching distance of the band's previous full length.  There's lots of things that stop it from doing this, indeed the list is as long as either one of my lanky and lengthy arms.  The songwriting is poor, it lacks any real structure the majority of the time.  As a result there is a constant sense of this just being a very hastily written, rush of ideas.  Tracks like "If Crucifixion Was Not Enough" and "Ecclesia Diabolica Catholica" show this in abundance, the former nailing the lid down on its own coffin with one of the laziest attempts at a menacing riff I have heard in a while.

      When we do actually settle into some sense of structure it actually works well.  "Bartzabel" is a sole triumph in the songwriting/structure stakes here and this is almost ruined by the annoying double layered, chanting backing vocals.


      Next on my list of grumbles?  The sound.  It is one of the most sterile and strained sounding mixes I think I have ever heard on a record.  The drums sound like they were tracked for a completely different purpose on some of the tracks, "Wolves ov Siberia" and "Rom 5:8" in particular.  I can't believe that this was the intended sound the band wanted to achieve.  I follow Behemoth on Instagram and they make much majesty and menace over their theatre and general pomp when performing live it seems.  Surely then they haven't listened to the final playback of this record?

      Now then.  I don't recall chanting children on a record ever working well?  But there's a couple of tracks here of children chanting their disdain for Christianity alongside Nergal and co.  It sounds frankly fucking ridiculous and trite even over only two tracks!

      In summary, this is a massive disappointment whether you enjoyed "The Satanist" or not.  Hastily put together, poorly arranged and mixed terribly to boot.

      1/5 
      • Reputation Points

      • 2 replies
×