Your Favourite Year in Metal

Requiem

1994 for me quite comfortably. I would go so far as to say it is the single finest year of metal releases in history. While I don't own all the magnificent releases BAN and Requiem mentioned I do own most. I'll also throw in Memento Mori's Life, Death, and Other Morbid Tales and Salem's Kaddish.

On 10/03/2018 at 1:17 AM, Fraser said:

1994 for me easy. 

Pantera - Far Beyond Driven 

Megadeth - Yothanasia

Korn -Korn

Machine Head - Burn My Eyes 

Acid Bath - When The Kite String Pops

Bolt Thrower - For Victory 

‘Youthanasia’ is my favourite Megadeth album and one of my all time favourites. Just great, dark songs. 

19 minutes ago, Requiem said:

‘Youthanasia’ is my favourite Megadeth album and one of my all time favourites. Just great, dark songs. 

You have strange taste mate. Personally I despise the simplified commercial thrash sound Megadeth took after RIP. Barring brief moments the band has never put out anything nearing those lofty heights again. Then again I feel KIMB is their most intense release and it's my favourite Megadeth album.

11 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

You have strange taste mate. Personally I despise the simplified commercial thrash sound Megadeth took after RIP. Barring brief moments the band has never put out anything nearing those lofty heights again. Then again I feel KIMB is their most intense release and it's my favourite Megadeth album.

‘Rust in Peace’ is a landmark album and close to my favourite - pushed on any given day I might even go there. 

However, the circumspect and emotional lyrics, the grand choruses, and mid-paced melodicism with that deeper production really appeals to me in ‘Youthanasia’. Not sure I’d even call it a thrash album.

It also came out when I was 14 and was my second Megadeth album, leaving its melodic impact on a very impressionable teenager in the pre-internet era. I had a shirt with the glorious cover on the front and the lyrics from the chorus of the title track on the back and it was my pride and joy. It was also a staple album for parties. 

Great album.

‘Rust in Peace’ is a landmark album and close to my favourite - pushed on any given day I might even go there. 
However, the circumspect and emotional lyrics, the grand choruses, and mid-paced melodicism with that deeper production really appeals to me in ‘Youthanasia’. Not sure I’d even call it a thrash album.
It also came out when I was 14 and was my second Megadeth album, leaving its melodic impact on a very impressionable teenager in the pre-internet era. I had a shirt with the glorious cover on the front and the lyrics from the chorus of the title track on the back and it was my pride and joy. It was also a staple album for parties. 
Great album.

Yeah, it's definitely not a thrash album, but it's not bad. I used to own it and enjoy it when I was younger, but it didn't age too well for me. I don't have any particular complaints about it, the songs are about as good as you can expect for something in that style. It's the kind of album that I remember fondly and probably wouldn't change the station if one of the songs came up on radio playlist, but I don't really have any desire to put it on for some casual listening.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

I do agree there's nothing really wrong with Youthanasia. I just never liked it. Similar to you Req it was my second Megadeth record. But RIP was my first and I could scarcely believe it was the same band. This is what's great about metal though. We can disagree on an album and actually discuss the merits and flaws. We all have different and unique tastes.

On 2/21/2017 at 9:53 PM, Requiem said:

Firstly, shame on Greyscale and FA for fence sitting. You're not actually risking anything by nominating a year that you like hahaha. 

Secondly, 'Bloody Kisses' is a masterpiece and made my 1993 list above. I love 'Blood and Fire'. In fact, I love all the songs on the digipak re-release (I can do without the joke songs). 

1993, 1994, 1995 and 1996, are in my opinion the greatest years for music. Many of the bands listed here are my favourites to this day. Just incredible, life changing albums nearly each and every month across those four years. 

I'm waiting for someone to post, you know, 1989 or something like that. Or 2008. I'd love to see someone jump in and move away from the golden age of black/doom/gothic metal that is 93-96. 

If I took my metal shirt off for a while and replaced it with a rock shirt, I would have to nominate 1987. 

1987 - the Greatest Year of Rock

Def Leppard - 'Hysteria'

Whitesnake - '1997'

Guns n Roses - 'Appetite for Destruction' 

Motley Crue - 'Girls Girls Girls' 

Oh good, I'm not the only one thinking pre-1993. 

1980, 1986 & 1987 were all landmark years for Rock & Heavy Metal. 

'Peace Sells...' & 'Master...', from '86, are in my top 3 metal albums.

For me, 1980 would probably be the weakest year in the 80's. The 80's became increasingly more varied, interesting, and productive with each passing year.

5 hours ago, Spoonman said:

It's a matter of personal taste. I tend to side with BAN in saying the eighties ended on a much stronger note then they started. Being a fan of metal's more extreme genres '94 will probably always top my list. As I said it may just be the finest year in metal's long and varied history.

Plagues Of Babylon, Once More 'Round The Sun, Delivering The Black, Redeemer Of Souls, Babymetal, Return Of The Reaper, All You Can Eat, Metal Knight, Rise Of The Hero, Kings Of Metal, This Is Your Life, Bloodstone & Diamonds. To name a few.

Best year since 1990, but I wasn't alive then.

Redeemer was a bad joke. Priest have been largely worthless since Jugulator. We're all entitled to our opinions but saying 2014 was the best year since 1990? '90 was a good year for metal but '93-'95 happened. As has been stated already there were iconic, landmark, albums being released almost monthly during those three years.

6 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Redeemer was a bad joke. Priest have been largely worthless since Jugulator. We're all entitled to our opinions but saying 2014 was the best year since 1990? '90 was a good year for metal but '93-'95 happened. As has been stated already there were iconic, landmark, albums being released almost monthly during those three years.

1993-1996 made Requiem the man he is today, so praise or blame those years as required. 

Plagues Of Babylon, Once More 'Round The Sun, Delivering The Black, Redeemer Of Souls, Babymetal, Return Of The Reaper, All You Can Eat, Metal Knight, Rise Of The Hero, Kings Of Metal, This Is Your Life, Bloodstone & Diamonds. To name a few.
Best year since 1990, but I wasn't alive then.
None of those sound familiar, so I think it's safe to say that I've never heard any of them.

I don't remember if I've compiled a list or not, but I would be willing to bet that 2014 was pretty great. That was the first year I hit MDF, and the closest I've ever been to keeping up with the times and modern metal releases, so I'm inclined to think it was good. I'll have to do some research and report back.

I've no doubt it would have been a fine year. I was somewhat thrown out by him including babymetal as a highlight and what I presume to be redeemer of souls.

EDIT: A quick search reveals at best the law of diminished returns applies to his top albums. Iced Earth, Mastodon, Primal Fear, Grave Digger, and Cristopher Lee being among the albums there.

I've no doubt it would have been a fine year. I was somewhat thrown out by him including babymetal as a highlight and what I presume to be redeemer of souls.

EDIT: A quick search reveals at best the law of diminished returns applies to his top albums. Iced Earth, Mastodon, Primal Fear, Grave Digger, and Cristopher Lee being among the albums there.
Reviewing some of my favorites from that year, I'll stand by my statement. Some standouts for me included:

Anguish - Mountain
Artificial Brain - Labyrinth Constellation
Black Harvest - Abject
Dead Congregation - Promulgations of the Fall
Incantation - Dirges of Elysium
Indian - From All Purity
Lvcifyre - Svn Eater
Martyrdöd - Elddop
Morbus Chron - Sweven
Mournful Congregation - Concrescence of the Sophia
October 31 - Bury the Hatchet
Overkill - White Devil Armory
Taake - Stridens Hus
Teitanblood - Death
Thantifaxath - Sacred White Noise
Vanhelgd - Relics of Sulfur Salvation
Wayfarer - Children of the Iron Age

There were several other good/enjoyable albums for me in 2014, but these are the ones I rated at or above 4/5 stars on RYM. Lots of quality, and based on best-of lists from my friends, I know of a ton that I'm missing.

7 hours ago, BlutAusNerd said:

Reviewing some of my favorites from that year, I'll stand by my statement. Some standouts for me included:

Anguish - Mountain
Artificial Brain - Labyrinth Constellation
Black Harvest - Abject
Dead Congregation - Promulgations of the Fall
Incantation - Dirges of Elysium
Indian - From All Purity
Lvcifyre - Svn Eater
Martyrdöd - Elddop
Morbus Chron - Sweven
Mournful Congregation - Concrescence of the Sophia
October 31 - Bury the Hatchet
Overkill - White Devil Armory
Taake - Stridens Hus
Teitanblood - Death
Thantifaxath - Sacred White Noise
Vanhelgd - Relics of Sulfur Salvation
Wayfarer - Children of the Iron Age

There were several other good/enjoyable albums for me in 2014, but these are the ones I rated at or above 4/5 stars on RYM. Lots of quality, and based on best-of lists from my friends, I know of a ton that I'm missing.

I'm inclined to agree. My comment was more directed at that guy's statement given the albums he labelled highlights. Having heards bits and pieces of a couple albums on his list they range from bad to mediocre IMO.

I can smell a list opportunity even when my computer's off. I've pilfered this from the 'Top 10 of Any Given Year' thread, and in it I call 2014 the worst year in metal, so there you go. 

My favourites from 2014:

Primordial - 'Where Greater Men Have Fallen'

Bloodbath - 'Grand Morbid Funeral'

Mayhem - 'Esoteric Warfare'

Eluveitie - 'Origins'

Insomnium - 'Shadows of a Dying Sun'

Alestorm - 'Sunset of the Golden Age'

Sebastian Bach - 'Give em Hell'

At the Gates - 'At War with Reality'

Varathron - 'Untrodden Corridors of Hades'

Septicflesh - 'Titan' (easily the best thing released in 2014)

I can smell a list opportunity even when my computer's off. I've pilfered this from the 'Top 10 of Any Given Year' thread, and in it I call 2014 the worst year in metal, so there you go. 
My favourites from 2014:

Primordial - 'Where Greater Men Have Fallen'

Bloodbath - 'Grand Morbid Funeral'

Mayhem - 'Esoteric Warfare'

Eluveitie - 'Origins'

Insomnium - 'Shadows of a Dying Sun'

Alestorm - 'Sunset of the Golden Age'

Sebastian Bach - 'Give em Hell'

At the Gates - 'At War with Reality'

Varathron - 'Untrodden Corridors of Hades'

Septicflesh - 'Titan' (easily the best thing released in 2014)

If those albums were what made up my top 10 for 2014, I might be inclined to agree with your assessment about it being the worst year in metal. [emoji12] Based on what I enjoyed from the year though, the climate seemed to be strong in areas that don't jive with what you usually enjoy. In other words, if I was to put myself in your shoes, I could definitely see why you felt that way. I wouldn't make some outlandish claim about it being the best year since 1990 like the user that inspired this line of discussion, nor would I state that it's the best of this decade, but there's still plenty for me to enjoy in pretty much every year if I do some digging.

12 hours ago, BlutAusNerd said:

If those albums were what made up my top 10 for 2014, I might be inclined to agree with your assessment about it being the worst year in metal. emoji12.png Based on what I enjoyed from the year though, the climate seemed to be strong in areas that don't jive with what you usually enjoy. In other words, if I was to put myself in your shoes, I could definitely see why you felt that way. I wouldn't make some outlandish claim about it being the best year since 1990 like the user that inspired this line of discussion, nor would I state that it's the best of this decade, but there's still plenty for me to enjoy in pretty much every year if I do some digging.

I rarely dig these days, and I was thinking that more digging would do me good.

It's hard enough keeping up with the bands that I'll love 'til death, but I think there's room for me to check out the underground a little bit more. Believe it or not, but 18 years ago I was really into the underground and obscure bands. Maybe more of that is what I need in the black and melodic death genres. Bit of fighting spirit.

Local Australian bands tend to fill that niche for me, but I could do with expanding out a lot more when it comes to album purchase and consumption. My 2014 list looks like it was taken from the shelves of Target's music section....

5 hours ago, Requiem said:

It's hard enough keeping up with the bands that I'll love 'til death, but I think there's room for me to check out the underground a little bit more. Believe it or not, but 18 years ago I was really into the underground and obscure bands. Maybe more of that is what I need in the black and melodic death genres. Bit of fighting spirit.

Local Australian bands tend to fill that niche for me, but I could do with expanding out a lot more when it comes to album purchase and consumption. My 2014 list looks like it was taken from the shelves of Target's music section....

I think that's a great idea. Keeping up with current music helps me to be hopeful and more open-minded than I'd be otherwise, and I'm always finding great older music that I hadn't heard before.

I'll echo FA's sentiments and agree that this is always a good idea. Every time I get discouraged about the modern music that I'm hearing, I start exploring various sources and/or recommendations from friends and I always find something I'm happy with. If I play anything that I think you'll enjoy it am reminded of anything recent that might fit with what you normally dig, I'll send it your way.

Similarly I'm left wanting when it comes to more modern metal. The bulk of my collection pre-dates the 2000s. Then again I have a plethora of albums from the 70s, 80s, and 90s to purchase as well. Why oh why must my tastes be so varied? This task would be so simple were I only interested in say Doom and Death metal. But no I have to like pretty much everything that isn't gothic or industrial. Mind you I'd be further along if I were better at managing my week to week costs.

18 hours ago, BlutAusNerd said:

I'll echo FA's sentiments and agree that this is always a good idea. Every time I get discouraged about the modern music that I'm hearing, I start exploring various sources and/or recommendations from friends and I always find something I'm happy with. If I play anything that I think you'll enjoy it am reminded of anything recent that might fit with what you normally dig, I'll send it your way.

Excellent. 

Actually, @BlutAusNerd I've been listening to a bit of Caladan Brood on youtube lately and finally decided to read up on them only to discover they're from your neck of the woods. Know anything about them? Decent atmospheric black metal with a Summoning flavour (so many bands these days reading from the Summoning playbook). 

Excellent. 
Actually, [mention=5429]BlutAusNerd[/mention] I've been listening to a bit of Caladan Brood on youtube lately and finally decided to read up on them only to discover they're from your neck of the woods. Know anything about them? Decent atmospheric black metal with a Summoning flavour (so many bands these days reading from the Summoning playbook). 
Yeah, one of the two guys is Jake Rogers of Visigoth and Gallowbraid, and while I see the other guy at shows (Cody Smith might be his name...?), I've never talked to him. My band played a few shows with Visigoth before they got signed, and we weren't really friendly for some time, but can get along alright now I suppose. I think Gallowbraid is pretty decent, reminding me more than a little of Falkenbach, but I don't see why everyone creams in their jeans over everything else he does. It seems like almost all of his projects are hero worship to some extent, like he has to follow the rules established by his idols, and it comes off as disingenuous and dull to me. That said, I know I'm in the minority, as everyone else that hears those bands seems to enjoy them.