Grayscale Dawn

ChainsawAkimbo

It´s my one man project, but i occationally have guests too. We originally started as a 2 man group, playing old-school gothic rock, but since my friend is busy with stuff, and lives abroad half of the year i took the name for my own purposes. I´m not really genre limited, i just do whatever for my own fun, mainly metal though. I never intend to gig, or anything like that.. planning to do an EP or few at least, i doubt i´m making a full album anytime soon since i´m bouncing all over the place with my material. It´s just a channel for me to be creative and express myself in various ways. Maybe someone else likes something i do at some point, who knows. Kinda pointless to promote something you aren´t very serious about, but i suppose this is a good place to share what i come up with. First song is something i made today for relaxing purposes. Just playing around with some effects and stuff, not really sure what genre this falls in to. Only basic instruments + effects.

2 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

I listened through this and the examples you posted in your other thread, and I'm wondering, do you have anything more complete to share? Anything with vocals? You've got a good sound and some nice parts, but it's hard to get a sense of songwriting.

Thats the thing, i rarely finish a song.. and because i am not a very good singer i usually don´t even make songs vocals in mind, i often used to just build a song riff by riff and record as i go. I have also had some gaps in my playing and music making, like 3-4 year gaps at worst, kinda makes you relearn some stuff every time. I used to be in a band when i was younger and did couple gigs and stuff too but i got.. drifter away from the band scene sort of. Let´s just say the rock´n roll lifestyle took over big time. After that i got a family and that with relearning how to be a "normal" person kinda got in to the way of the music. I am planning to change all that, and try to learn to create songs with vocals, and actually work on projects i want to finish and compose from the beginning with vocals. Divorcing couple years a go has given me an ease of mind to focus on my personal projects such as music, which always has been my true passion. I have couple songs with some vocals, done through collaboration. Heres one where all i´ve done is the composing, and play guitars and bass. Vocals, drums, mixing and mastering, and the solo in the end are by other people. Music collaboration is fun but you often don´t get what you would really want. 

http://www.kompoz.com/music/listen/release/443716

Listening to one of those after the other really shows your versatility, I quite liked both. If you ever feel like a collab, I'm always free.

Weird that at the end of your YouTube video the suggestions were for Bob Ross and Colouring In videos.

3 hours ago, Will said:

Listening to one of those after the other really shows your versatility, I quite liked both. If you ever feel like a collab, I'm always free.

Weird that at the end of your YouTube video the suggestions were for Bob Ross and Colouring In videos.

Thanks dude. Sure i´d love to collab at some point, it´s always been very fun. :) 

12 hours ago, GrayscaleDawn said:

Thats the thing, i rarely finish a song.. and because i am not a very good singer i usually don´t even make songs vocals in mind, i often used to just build a song riff by riff and record as i go. I have also had some gaps in my playing and music making, like 3-4 year gaps at worst, kinda makes you relearn some stuff every time. I used to be in a band when i was younger and did couple gigs and stuff too but i got.. drifter away from the band scene sort of. Let´s just say the rock´n roll lifestyle took over big time. After that i got a family and that with relearning how to be a "normal" person kinda got in to the way of the music. I am planning to change all that, and try to learn to create songs with vocals, and actually work on projects i want to finish and compose from the beginning with vocals. Divorcing couple years a go has given me an ease of mind to focus on my personal projects such as music, which always has been my true passion. I have couple songs with some vocals, done through collaboration. Heres one where all i´ve done is the composing, and play guitars and bass. Vocals, drums, mixing and mastering, and the solo in the end are by other people. Music collaboration is fun but you often don´t get what you would really want. 

http://www.kompoz.com/music/listen/release/443716

Having vocal ideas can really make the difference between a "collection of parts" and a complete song, even if they're not yet recorded and still subject to change. It can be helpful even to have a phrase or a couple of vocal patterns in mind; pretty much anything can bring a song into focus. I'm not into the vocals on this particular track, but it's cool to hear in any case - are these other musicians friends of yours?

Good luck with your plans. I hope you're able to be more productive. It's definitely hard to balance creativity against family obligations; I love my family but that's been the story of my life for the past few years.

7 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

are these other musicians friends of yours?

Nope, they are just random people who wished to join the song from the kompoz website. It´s basically a music collaboration website where anyone can set up projects and anyone can join in too. It´s up to the project starter which tracks are accepted etc.. It´s a lot of fun but like i said in collaborations with people you don´t know, you always don´t get what you want. :D 

Thanks.. i´ll be allright. Family should definitely matter most, it´s something thats not always easy but sometimes you only know the true value once it´s gone.

I made this simple goth rock song in one sitting, i did it for the Kompoz website to see what comes out of a collaboration. It´s not very unique, and not meant to be. It was extremely fun to make however, and thats what matters! I might have a go at a Sisters of mercy/Fields of the nephilim/The garden of delight style vocals myself. The drums are just a backing track to help me record, and it´s not very polished. I hope someone will record at least drums for the song, time will tell. One thing is for sure, I´m having so much fun with music stuff these days.. divorce is just about the best thing one can do, all this time for myself! :D 

Word of warning! Theres a sync tone in the beginning.

http://www.kompoz.com/music/collaboration/731962

Nice. Definitely getting the Sisters/FON vibe. Seems like it may be a little long for what it is, but the right vocal lines could make it come alive. I might suggest extending one of the quieter sections to give it more time to build back up to the distorted guitars; also maybe consider a key change as a bridge somewhere. Are you thinking of adding any melodic guitar lines? Could get a cool Katatonia feel going with that.

2 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Nice. Definitely getting the Sisters/FON vibe. Seems like it may be a little long for what it is, but the right vocal lines could make it come alive. I might suggest extending one of the quieter sections to give it more time to build back up to the distorted guitars; also maybe consider a key change as a bridge somewhere. Are you thinking of adding any melodic guitar lines? Could get a cool Katatonia feel going with that.

Yeah it might be a bit long.. also thought about extending the quieter stuff. Hell. It was supposed to be something that i just quickly put together and "forget", but it looks like i´m actually going to spend bit more time on it. :D I did plan to maybe add some extra guitars after i get vocals.. i think time to make more coffee and spend a bit more time on it. I was relying maybe bit much on the effect the vocals will do to the song as a whole. :) 

11 minutes ago, GrayscaleDawn said:

Yeah it might be a bit long.. also thought about extending the quieter stuff. Hell. It was supposed to be something that i just quickly put together and "forget", but it looks like i´m actually going to spend bit more time on it. :D I did plan to maybe add some extra guitars after i get vocals.. i think time to make more coffee and spend a bit more time on it. I was relying maybe bit much on the effect the vocals will do to the song as a whole. :) 

Can't hurt to give it a little more baking time. Good luck! I was actually getting vocal ideas... don't think my singing voice is in shape right now, though.

Thanks.. uploaded it again.. it´s actually longer now.. doh. Thats as far as i´m willing to go with this track.. will add lil something and tweak a bit here and there but thats as much songwriting as i´ll do.. :D 

My friend is taking a look at recording drums for it.. so that might be sorted. Considering some of the vocal offerings at that site, no need to be scared of some rust. ;)