Metalcore

tugaOwn

In my opinion' date=' Metalcore doesn't have its own mostly because it's mostly a fusion genre like example: Metalcore was influenced by Melodic Death Metal with breakdowns during their song which you'll get the idea.[/quote'] The current popular strain of melodic metalcore is, but other sides of metalcore have nothing to do with melodic death metal.

Glad to see at least SOME people have some respect for metalcore. Just recently been getting into it and the 90s metalcore scene was easily one of the most exciting metal genres from that time period. Deadguy, Ringworm, Botch, Snapcase, Arkangel, Earth Crisis. Fuck yeah. Anybody who says that metalcore sucks needs to actually educate themselves, cause they clearly don't know what they're talking about. There's metalcore out there that seriously puts most extreme metal to shame. gVdaOCJ2G58 9-8HOYshl3g They're metalcore, but there's so much death metal and grindcore in there you could call them spiritual successors to Terrorizer. This is what deathcore could've sounded like. 8Ath4ZZcMPs

In my opinion' date=' Metalcore doesn't have its own mostly because it's mostly a fusion genre like example: Metalcore was influenced by Melodic Death Metal with breakdowns during their song which you'll get the idea.[/quote'] And thrash metal was NWOBHM mixed with hardcore punk. All genres of all music are fusion genres. Metalcore just happens to have a name that makes it explicit.

Glad to see at least SOME people have some respect for metalcore. Just recently been getting into it and the 90s metalcore scene was easily one of the most exciting metal genres from that time period. Deadguy, Ringworm, Botch, Snapcase, Arkangel, Earth Crisis. Fuck yeah. Anybody who says that metalcore sucks needs to actually educate themselves, cause they clearly don't know what they're talking about. There's metalcore out there that seriously puts most extreme metal to shame. gVdaOCJ2G58 9-8HOYshl3g They're metalcore, but there's so much death metal and grindcore in there you could call them spiritual successors to Terrorizer. This is what deathcore could've sounded like. 8Ath4ZZcMPs And thrash metal was NWOBHM mixed with hardcore punk. All genres of all music are fusion genres. Metalcore just happens to have a name that makes it explicit.
Arkangel isn't my thing and I've never cared for Converge, but that Homewrecker song was nice.

As The Sun Sets always comes to mind when I think of angular' date=' death-metal-worthy riffing in a hardcore setting. And I went back and listened to the first Red Chord album again yesterday - it was really exciting when it came out, and it still holds up.[/quote'] I remember hearing some of Fused Together in Revolving Doors when The Red Chord started getting popular, and found it vastly superior to their newer work. That said, I can't remember if I actually liked it or not.

I remember hearing some of Fused Together in Revolving Doors when The Red Chord started getting popular' date=' and found it vastly superior to their newer work. That said, I can't remember if I actually liked it or not.[/quote'] I honestly don't know if you would like it, given your take on deathcore in general, but it's energetic, thoughtful, and sincere. Musically, it reminds me of When Forever Comes Crashing a bit, and that's a good thing.

• 1 year later...

Play hard with distort doesn't make your music Metal, a lot of those bands are emos, and I'm not saying that like something negative) It's a genre that takes his influences of Hardcore and Punk, Metalcore takes something of Metal, but merging it with hardcore, the whole Rock and Alternative Metal, and as the name suggests, is alternative, not Original Metal.

Others, like me, likes more the classic, and we don't like that groups meant to public with 13 to 16 years old are considered metal, because objectively, they aren't, as I said, come from other trends, I don't like modern sound or mergers with funk and rap of nu metal, and not because "Im true", I gave and opportunity to Korn in "take a look in the mirror" when I didn't know about trues or posers or genres, and I didn't like them.

MetalCORE comes from Hardcore, Power METAL comes from Metal, let's say that the last name indicates gender and the name the variant, so, is Metal?

In essence, the metal is a music that seeks the melody, the feeling, the epic.. Except death and thrash, Heavy, such as power, as black and Doom have a strong melodic character, and yet there are many melodic thrash gropus, and in Death not all the voices shout's like if were insulting... in the metalcore, deathcore, etc is just put riffs just to put, a repetitive riff here, and, just in case, a soft ridiculous voice because we also have hearts. These characteristics, even if you don't want to see it, are inherited from hardcore, screamo and all those genres.

Metalcore as a concept isn't all killswitch engage and trivium. They're referred to as melodic metalcore - incorporating watered down death metal melodies and pseudo-hardcore moments into pop song structures and techniques.

You are correct in asserting that metalcore denotes (or at least SHOULD denote) a fusion of metal and hardcore. D.R.I (among others) are credited as being metalcore by some. At the very least they are a metal/punk crossover act (and quite a good one). Just so you know I've moved this thread as it doesn't fit into the vs subforum.

That's funny, I moved it too. 

To the OP: Honestly, this little rant belongs in one of the several threads we already have dedicated to metalcore. As Relentless says, you seem to be conflating melodic metalcore with every other kind of crossover influence. Hardcore, grindcore, and crust punk have been sharing influences with extreme metal since the early to mid 80s. Grindcore may be responsible for introducing high-speed blastbeats to the burgeoning death metal scene, and several bands (Carcass, Napalm Death, Assück, Terrorizer) rode the line or even became death metal bands over time. D-beat hardcore had an obvious influence on the Swedish DM scene from its inception. The idea that a "soft voice" comes from hardcore is ridiculous, hardcore is responsible for some of the most abrasive vocals in music. As far as repetitive, simplistic songwriting, again there's a ton of music from across several genres that refutes that, from Converge, Dillinger, or As The Sun Sets to (like it or not) the technical deathcore of some Ion Dissonance or The Red Chord's first album. In fact, going the other way, you could blame the melodic guitar work of NWOBHM for inspiring the 90s melodeath scene that in turn influenced some of the weakest melodic metalcore of the 2000s.

In short, you don't know what you're talking about, and this whole thing is just a naive defense of poorly informed identity-based taste issues.

7 minutes ago, GorboGorboze said:

I've got an identity-based taste issue with metal-core, but I don't imagine that anyone cares. Oh well.

Oh hey EnterSandman, welcome to the forum. I would suggest you post an introduction post, and try to connect with us a little here. Give us something a bit more personal if you would please.

Is that really true? You've never struck me as being that cliquish - if anything you seem to work to expand your taste, and you've developed a bit of appreciation for things that don't appeal to you. 

...simple doom rocker though you are. 

I've enjoyed some hard core in context. It's energetic, which is great, and rebellious, but not too worth analysis. If you can't slam dance to it because you are typing about it, then what is it good for?

What is in it for metal, I guess that is my point. Metal has better things to draw from. Sure metal should draw from everything, but hardcore is not my favorite source of inspiration for metal, and hardcore should stay the fuck away from metal because of my taste and identity. I realize that is a weak argument.

Anyway, is there a such thing as Hardcore, or was it always a kind of metal that had punk sensibilities. There it is, my new take on Hardcore, it was never a punk evolution, it was always a degenerate form of metal.

I'll echo the other users here and say that this argument is poorly presented nonsense. Metal and punk have influenced each other throughout their entire respective existences, and have been successfully fused by many artists in many different ways. However, adding pop music to either almost always sours the resulting product, as with most genres. The bottomless abyss of tween garbage known as "melodic metalcore", is bad because it is pop, not because it is metal, hardcore, or some combination of the two. Very few elements of either are actually present in their sound, it's really more like screamo with some scraped from bottom of the barrel Iron Maiden harmonized guitar harmonies. Before making a broad generalization, it would behoove you to do some research to keep from looking like a fool in the future.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Despite it's flippant delivery in my last post, I'm serious about this idea that Hardcore was always and only metal. Is there a transitional scene or set of bands between punk music and hardcore you can point to suggest that I am wrong? If some punk enthusiasts realized that metal was more interesting in some way, and started to make metal that had a punk look and feel and called it Hardcore, it would be a form of metal. Maybe I should head over to google and look for the answer myself, but if someone wants to lay it out for me, I'll read it.

Anyway, in the exhaustive search for an accurate taxonomy of the music, what is important, they quality of the music, or who makes it, or what. I'm but dimly interested in types of metal or punk that is in question on this thread, but I am interested in the culture of hardcore from some kind of anthropological standpoint I guess. The punk ideal and the metal ideal are pretty different. I guess I need to do some research myself so as to less look the fool. Though the OP in the thread is contrived and incoherent (beyond the issue of proficiency in English, which must be accepted) I believe there is something in it that is correct, but I'd like to read a simplified version of it. If you come back EnterSandman, try saying again what it is you mean.

I don't know what screamo is, and won't be starting there with my research.

For hardcore's roots in punk rock, check out Black Flag's "Damaged" or "My War", Anti Cimex's "Raped Ass", and albums by Discharge and Bad Brains, all of whom were releasing records by the early 80s. Some brought more speed, aggression, and abrasive atonality, some brought a higher level of musicianship and cross-genre experimentation - trends that would get taken further by other bands in fairly short order. Post-punk groups were pushing in different directions around the same time - Swans in particular had a lot of influence on the heavier end of things with their early albums. As far as mixing with metal, there was also cross-pollination with the burgeoning NWOBHM scene, and thrash and black metal were starting off, all taking bits and pieces from one another.

I'm not surprised that you don't enjoy hardcore influences in your metal. Blastbeats, breakdowns, and abrasive screaming aren't your thing, for instance. It doesn't make sense to look for bright line distinctions when you're talking about the development of new genres of music - the whole point is that the lines get rubbed out by people trying new things - but hardcore's main roots are in punk rock, and it wouldn't even exist without them. 

On 24/02/2016 at 1:45 AM, EnterSandman said:

Play hard with distort doesn't make your music Metal, a lot of those bands are emos, and I'm not saying that like something negative) It's a genre that takes his influences of Hardcore and Punk, Metalcore takes something of Metal, but merging it with hardcore, the whole Rock and Alternative Metal, and as the name suggests, is alternative, not Original Metal.

Others, like me, likes more the classic, and we don't like that groups meant to public with 13 to 16 years old are considered metal, because objectively, they aren't, as I said, come from other trends, I don't like modern sound or mergers with funk and rap of nu metal, and not because "Im true", I gave and opportunity to Korn in "take a look in the mirror" when I didn't know about trues or posers or genres, and I didn't like them.

MetalCORE comes from Hardcore, Power METAL comes from Metal, let's say that the last name indicates gender and the name the variant, so, is Metal?

In essence, the metal is a music that seeks the melody, the feeling, the epic.. Except death and thrash, Heavy, such as power, as black and Doom have a strong melodic character, and yet there are many melodic thrash gropus, and in Death not all the voices shout's like if were insulting... in the metalcore, deathcore, etc is just put riffs just to put, a repetitive riff here, and, just in case, a soft ridiculous voice because we also have hearts. These characteristics, even if you don't want to see it, are inherited from hardcore, screamo and all those genres.

54616551.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Metalcore is a blend of hardcore punk and extreme metal https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metalcore#Subgenres

Death Metal is a form of extreme metal music that typically makes use of growled blast beats and tremolo picked guitar riffs https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_metal

Here's A Day To Remember, a Metalcore band 

Here's Morbid Angel, a Death Metal band

Pretty different.

We've had this discussion so many times here... Look dude, any attempt to describe these genres in terms of stereotypes can be refuted by lots of counterexamples and hybrids that don't fit neatly in either box. Just like your black metal thread, your best bet is to dig around the forum and YouTube and do a bunch of listening for yourself.