Metalcore

tugaOwn

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Re: Metal Core Hi, Metal Core is awesome! Incidentaly, I found a couple of quotes on ol' Wikipedia which are bound to raise a few eyebrows here. "Avenged Sevenfold emerged with a metalcore sound on their debut Sounding the Seventh Trumpet but their style had evolved by their third album and first major label release, City of Evil into a hard rock/heavy metal sound." "Metalcore is distinguished from other fusions between punk and metal by its emphasis on general heavy metal characteristics as well as breakdowns,[3] which are slower, intense passages that are conducive to moshing.[4] Sepultura, who has been credited to "lay the foundation" for the genre,[5] and Pantera, who influenced Trivium, Atreyu, Bleeding Through and Unearth,[6] have been influential in the development of metalcore" Bad luck Murph! :lol:

Re: Metal Core for what? I admit every Pantera influenced band bar one totally sucks (the exception being a new band called Outliar but they aren't metalcore fortunately) Pantera are not metalcore, they are groove metal influenced by Exhorder, Sepultura started to sound metalcore on Roots which was the first of what would and still are dreadful releases by the band, sevenfold is an abomination going from emopopcore to the new age guns n roses, until someone can show me a metalcore band I find tolerable I will continue to view this as a worthless genre, that article does however imply that metalcore is NOT a style of metal but rather a fusion intended to be a stand alone musical form like punk and metal

Re: Metal Core

for what? I admit every Pantera influenced band bar one totally sucks (the exception being a new band called Outliar but they aren't metalcore fortunately) Pantera are not metalcore' date=' they are groove metal influenced by Exhorder, Sepultura started to sound metalcore on Roots which was the first of what would and still are dreadful releases by the band, sevenfold is an abomination going from emopopcore to the new age guns n roses, until someone can show me a metalcore band I find tolerable I will continue to view this as a worthless genre, that article does however imply that metalcore is NOT a style of metal but rather a fusion intended to be a stand alone musical form like punk and metal[/quote'] This is how it should be, metalcore is metal + hardcore, it's when pop music gets involved that we end up with a problem, just like with most things. This often happens in parallels, in the late 80's and early 90's, hardcore was mixing with doom/groove metal, as a raw mixture this became sludge, with pop in the equation it became grunge. Even though some of these mixtures may not appeal to me, like slam death, I still prefer slam death to its pop equivalent, which is deathcore.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Metal Core Thanks for NOT putting us in the metalcore category, Murph....definitely not a vibe we ever went for. What's crazy is that the term metalcore USED to represent metal + hardcore like the dude after you properly stated (think bands like Cryptic Slaughter - that's one of the best metalcore bands I've ever heard in my LIFE.....or Crumbsuckers - which would also qualify as one of the greatest records I've ever heard and complete TRUE metalcore). The newer version of metalcore never really grabbed me. When I think of that newer version, I think of bands like Atreyu, but maybe heavier. Stuff that was pretty heavy and then BAM! here comes this SUGARY sweet bubble gum chorus and it just always ruined it for me. The best "metalcore" record I can think of would be All That Remains - The Fall Of Ideals, but I really don't feel like that is "true" metalcore in the current day (probably their latest record(s) would be....SUCKS). I think the term is just thrown around to classify bands that don't quite fit into one specific genre that have some of those really pretty choruses, or emotive stylized sections. The few melodic parts that we have on our record really were more of a vibe or feeling for the song, but nothing that was contrived or done in an attempt to make a silly cash grab down the road or appeal to a non metal audience at all. I kind of equate the melodic stuff on our record to something like a Welcome Home - Sanitarium or Fade To Black type vibe from the older Metallica records (when clean singing didn't sound cheesy, in my opinion...) Hope all is well with all of my metal brothers.... \m/

Thanks for NOT putting us in the metalcore category, Murph....definitely not a vibe we ever went for. What's crazy is that the term metalcore USED to represent metal + hardcore like the dude after you properly stated (think bands like Cryptic Slaughter - that's one of the best metalcore bands I've ever heard in my LIFE.....or Crumbsuckers - which would also qualify as one of the greatest records I've ever heard and complete TRUE metalcore). The newer version of metalcore never really grabbed me. When I think of that newer version, I think of bands like Atreyu, but maybe heavier. Stuff that was pretty heavy and then BAM! here comes this SUGARY sweet bubble gum chorus and it just always ruined it for me. The best "metalcore" record I can think of would be All That Remains - The Fall Of Ideals, but I really don't feel like that is "true" metalcore in the current day (probably their latest record(s) would be....SUCKS). I think the term is just thrown around to classify bands that don't quite fit into one specific genre that have some of those really pretty choruses, or emotive stylized sections. The few melodic parts that we have on our record really were more of a vibe or feeling for the song, but nothing that was contrived or done in an attempt to make a silly cash grab down the road or appeal to a non metal audience at all. I kind of equate the melodic stuff on our record to something like a Welcome Home - Sanitarium or Fade To Black type vibe from the older Metallica records (when clean singing didn't sound cheesy, in my opinion...) Hope all is well with all of my metal brothers.... \m/
All That Remains are a bit heavier that the other modern bands you mentioned earlier, but are still basically what I've been complaining about, riffs stolen from melodic death metal mixed with poppy emo choruses. I am really not versed in any modern metalcore, but I really dig stuff like The Accused, Cryptic Slaughter, D.R.I., S.O.D., Napalm Death, and various other early hardcore/metal fusions.

I'm starting to enjoy some real metalcore' date=' Converge, Cromags, etc..., but the pop/emocore mixture I still find to be pretty worthless.[/quote'] I wish they'd call it something else, because stuff like the Cro-mags and S.O.D. was a legitimate blend of real metal and real hardcore.

Re: Metal Core Alas, we are the oppressed, but one day Apollo and his nine Muses will see our sacrifices of popcorn, beer and pizzas (with extra cheese and pepperoni) and hear our pleas for freedom. And then we will rise and emerge from the shadows of guilt and fear our tormentors have pushed us into and be able to declare our love with impunity and the understanding of others!

Re: Metal Core What's up Murph! Just keeping busy, trying to get the record heard by as many people as I can. Doing a few shows here and there. Have one new song ready to go and working on a 2nd. The 2nd one will be a quick and heavy one, so I'm stoked about that. Going to see Cannibal Corpse tomorrow night, so I'm pumped about that. Good guys. I just fucking wish HAVOK would come through Raleigh, NC! Keep in touch, metal bro! R

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't say Asking Alexandria are a great example of American Metalcore, though. They do heavily watered down melodic Metalcore with a few awful vaguely trendy things thrown in; they're consequently a mess. A better example of good American Metalcore would be Hatebreed; and there are some good melodic Metalcore bands like As I Lay Dying, too.

• 4 weeks later...

I could go on for days about metalcore... Let's just say I think it's a great subgenre partially because it can be used as an umbrella term. Here are some of my absolute favorite bands that are relative to metalcore (including some bands I think are influential to the subgenre, or share certain riffing techniques and production): Harlots, the Chariot, Johnny Cage is a Fake, the End, Candiria, Crowbar, Soilent Green, Ion Dissonance, the Number 12 Looks Like You, the Red Chord, Yakuza, Stifling Neglect, Bucket Full of Teeth, Biohazard, High on Fire, Lair of the Minotaur, Into Eternity, Strapping Young Lad, Eighteen Visions, Fuck the Facts, the Heavils, Deftones, Snapcase, Through the Eyes of the Dead, Cephalic Carnage, Acid Bath, the Ocean, Meshuggah, As the Sun Sets, Gojira, the Great Sabatini, Purified in Blood, the Dillinger Escape Plan, Reproacher, Trap Them, Pig Destroyer... the list goes on and on! However, some of these bands may be only somewhat metalcore but they certainly share some very similar qualities in the way the riffs work with the drums.