5 bands' catalogues you'd take to a desert island.

Requiem

• 4 weeks later...

Type O Negative

I love everything about TON. The moody blend of doom, hardcore punk, and goth rock makes for one unique band. There's something to like about every album they released and honestly TON are just one of my favourite bands so there.

Taake

I've spent a bit of time with these guys recently and they've gone from a band I liked well enough to one I just can't get enough of. The aggression and hate dripping off their work despite their melodic base is awesome.

Mournful Congregation

Another of my all time favourites. Melodic funeral doom dripping with bleak atmosphere? Sign me the fuck up. Hope they drop something new soon.

Death

Same reasons as always

Bathory

Again same reasons as always

Shit my list changed in a significant way this time around didn't it?

• 10 months later...

1. The Jimi Hendrix Experience - One of the first bands that got me into blues and pyschedelic rock. They still amaze me to this day.

2. Black Sabbath - One of my favorite metal bands, and very influential to metal in general.

3. Metallica - They introduced me to thrash metal, and pretty much just metal in general. However, albums such as “Lulu” and “Load” would get limited airplay on the island. 

4. AC/DC - One of the first rock bands that I really started getting into (besides Aerosmith). I could duck walk on the island for exercise.

5. Led Zeppelin - Another good rock band that influenced metal. One of the first bands that I started collecting many albums on vinyl with.

1. Deathspell Omega; at some point I'll feel melancholic so might aswell take my favorite band

2. Peste Noire; perfect soundtrack for my drunken adventures across the land

3. Kendrick Lamar; not a band, but he is my favorite hip-hop artist so far

4. Immolation; I'd love to keep with me something that conjures great atmospheres and tight, aggressive riffage

5. Anything by Glenn Miller; still not a band but one of the few people in this world that can make me dance 

• 4 months later...
6 hours ago, Nick_fix said:

Hi

I would take:

Aerosmith - the first album

Black Sabbath 

Sure, i've take a something from metallica hits

By the way, it's possible to invite Aerosmith with you) I've faced with the agency -link removed-

So, I've invite this band with me.

Rejoice! The thread offers you the chance to take the bands' full back catalogues, so no single album choices are required. That means you can take every Aerosmith album, including their live releases, to your paradise in the Pacific. That's actually a really good choice. 

• 4 months later...
On 6/6/2019 at 8:00 AM, Thrashman said:

Tricky one.

Probably:

Death
Krypts
Burzum
Evoken
Bolt Thrower

That means no thrash for Thrashman, though. Tempted to throw Slayer in there, because I could listen to Reign in Blood/South of Heaven/Seasons in the Abyss all day long. Hmmmm.

You’re an enigma wrapped in a riddle. 

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Seems I missed a good Slayer debate on page 3 and yes I can see this took place a few years ago but I just feel the need to chime in and say that some of you are out of your ever lovin' minds! Just stop the nonsense. Drives me nuts when I hear people say that the intense speed is all Reign in Blood has going for it. Reign in Blood is not only Slayer's best effort by far and the best metal album of 1986 but it's also probably the most iconic and acclaimed metal album of all time. And there's a reason for that, it's tight as fuck, has badass riffs to spare and there is not a wasted second to be found among those 28 minutes. You can't take the individual songs as separate entities, you have to listen to the whole thing uninterrupted front to back in one shot like a thrash metal symphony, each song like the next movement building on the one before to create a whole that's greater than the sum of its parts. Yes Angel of Death is iconic and the title track closer is killer but I'd say Altar of Sacrifice running right into Jesus Saves is what I always think of first when I think of that album. Not taking Slayer's catalogue on the desert island with me though because after South of Heaven it was all straight downhill fast like a double diamond trail. Nothing they've done since then has been worth a shit.

Now that I got that off my chest I have the desert island puzzle to solve. This is tough as I get hung up on the forever part. What can I listen to forever til the end of my days and not tire of it if I can only have 5 bands' music to choose from? Can't just take all black metal bands with me as I know I will want to hear something else at some point. But right off the bat Darkthrone and Inquisition are no-brainers, these first two choices are written in stone I'm not gonna go anywhere without them. 

That leaves me just 3 picks. I think I'm a lot like old man Macabre, I could overthink this thing for weeks if not months in fear of making a hasty decision I might regret later. On the other hand I'm not actually being carted off to some deserted island to listen to the same 5 bands for all eternity am I? So a bad pick would not be the end of the world because it's all hypothetical for shits and giggles isn't it. Not to mention that being so incredibly fucking old I wouldn't have to be sentenced to listen to these same 5 bands for nearly as long as some of you young Gen-Xers, Millennials and Zoomers would because I will reach my expiration date much sooner. So that takes some of the pressure off.

If I were to go by my Last.FM list my next 3 most listened to artists would be Ramones, Motorhead and Celtic Frost. But I don't know if I really want to take any of them because I've already listened to them so much in my life. Maybe I need some bands that I haven't already worn out. Have two black metal bands already so guess I'm gonna need a death metal band, a goat metal band, a punk band, a doom band, an older more rockin' band and something else like a wild card band. 5 is really not enough choices is it? Gonna have to give this some more thought. I'll get back to you.

8 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Now that I got that off my chest I have the desert island puzzle to solve. This is tough as I get hung up on the forever part. What can I listen to forever til the end of my days and not tire of it if I can only have 5 bands' music to choose from?

Don't worry about the 'forever' part. Once you get on the island one day will blend into another, you'll eventually go bat shit crazy within your own mind, then you'll start forgetting everything and before you know it each album will seem new again. Or worse, you'll run out of batteries in your music player after day two and go bat shit crazy even sooner!

16 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

Without a moment of hesitation:

AC/DC

Judas Priest

Queen

Black Sabbath 

Type O Negative 

Good ole Jon-O predictable as ever with an old school classic 70's slate of bands and surprisingly one 90's band. Didn't see that coming, had no idea you were such a big Type O fan. I like Type O quite a bit myself but there's just too much filler on those albums if I can only have 5 bands. If I could have 10 bands Type O might have a shot. 

Sabbath is on my short list for one of my last 3 open spots though, they're just about the only old 70's band from my youth that I still listen to quite regularly.  Just the 8 Ozzy and 2 Dio albums though, you can keep the rest. Timeless shit, I've been listening to those old records since they first came out 45 years ago and they never get old.

The only other 70's bands I still listen to with any kind of regularity are Ramones, ZZ Top, Skynyrd, Hatchet and Zeppelin. Any others are just one offs once in a blue moon.

Still trying to decide on a death metal band. Been on a big death metal binge the last few weeks and fuck me, how am I supposed to just pick one death metal band to listen to exclusively? I'm leaning towards Grave atm but I've still gotta do some more listening. 

Only 5 bands... gonna need to cover a lot of ground or it will get boring quick.

Rush - prog rock

The Cure - post-punk

Tramped by Turtles - bluegrass

Opeth - prog metal (probably never listen to anything after the first 6 though)

Darkthrone - a little of everything

I could definitely swap out those last 2 with a ton of bands (Bolt Thrower, Judas Priest, Archgoat, Manila Road, Iron Maiden, Immolation, Bathory), but this list covers the most ground of what I would want to listen to while isolated.

On 7/4/2021 at 8:31 AM, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Good ole Jon-O predictable as ever with an old school classic 70's slate of bands and surprisingly one 90's band. Didn't see that coming, had no idea you were such a big Type O fan. I like Type O quite a bit myself but there's just too much filler on those albums if I can only have 5 bands. If I could have 10 bands Type O might have a shot. 

Sabbath is on my short list for one of my last 3 open spots though, they're just about the only old 70's band from my youth that I still listen to quite regularly.  Just the 8 Ozzy and 2 Dio albums though, you can keep the rest. Timeless shit, I've been listening to those old records since they first came out 45 years ago and they never get old.

I don't find any filler on the Type O albums. It is the only band that ever existed where I give them a pass for 70+ minute albums. NO OTHER BAND is entitled to a 70+ minute album (or over 50 minutes for that matter) unless it is their career defining magnum opus, a la The Wall...or Nostradamus. Guffaw.

Sabbath is solid all the way through. I even started giving Forbidden a go since there hasn't been anything new from Lord Tony in a while. A friend of mine remastered it and re-jigged the track listing. It works fine as a middle of the road 90s trad metal album. But I can't expect anyone this far down the line, polluted by the toxic stench of goat metal, to understand or be bothered to check out Tony Martin era Sabbath. 

The rest of the bands on my list have long discographies and are also my favourite bands no matter how thrashed each entry in the catalogue has been. 

I did think of doing a tongue in cheek list of bands that burned bright and faded away after one or two albums. The only ones I an think of (i.e. albums that I loved but the bands disappeared):

Scatterbrain - Here Comes Trouble

Disincarnate - Dreams of the Carrion Kind

Chris Poland - Return to Metalopolis

One band I thought of after the original post is my own, which also has about 20 albums. Ego-centric? Somewhat, but I didn't think of it until later than the others and, honestly, I chose my favourite bands because they have stronger nostalgia/memories tied up with them. 

Besides, yeah. No electricity, so I'd be better off with a nylon string guitar and some bongos. Made from the skulls and skin of the deceased passenger from the wreck. Or the other survivors, if they have a problem with me screaming Hellbent for Leather while foraging for food.

Okay, so after years of mulling this over I got to the following - I am retracting Bolt Thrower which was my one entry in this thread:

Drudkh - there's little argument that the sounds of whatever natural oasis my sorry ass washes up on will not be well complimented by Drudkh.  There's probably an album for all seasons in their back catalogue.  Acknowledging that there are some duds (I am looking at you Slavonic Chronicles) in there they still have a virtually unrivalled ability to conjure a real intricate visual aspect alongside their sound.  In an isolated version of the paradise stereotype I would need that depth of mental imagery to get me through endless days and nights of the same views and sounds.

Gorguts - placed in here at the expense of Death it should be noted.  Whatever the fuck these guys turn their hand to just works, providing a lifetime of deciphering in terms of their later output.  One of the few bands that have taken their formative genre and picked up the boundaries of it and ran to places you wouldn't have thought possible back in their early days.  I would probably still not reconcile that Obscura should have come after From Wisdom to Hate to provide that perfect transition to Colored Sands but I still would have one of the most complete discographies in my suitcase.

Coroner - I ran through all possibilities for a thrash metal entry in this list but none of the big four's total back catalogues stack up in totality and the Teutonic lot all have a penchant for going off the boil for a consistent number of records making their inclusion a real slog to get through.  Whilst I accept that Coroner are far from perfect, they are at least consistently interesting and even the steady decline after No More Colour is palatable enough to warrant revisiting on a regular basis.

Iron Maiden - spot the obvious choice!!!! In all honesty though, I grew up listening to so much of Maiden in my formative metal years that to not include them would be a nonsense far greater than the parody of the band they have become since Dickinson left and returned.  I would look upon most of their output beyond 1992 as just for comedy value to pass the long nights for shits and giggles.  In comparison I would be spending many hours reminiscing upon my youth listening through the rest of their discography.

Wardruna - finally a non-metal entry.  Largely because I went for Drudkh as my bm choice as opposed to Panopticon, I know that Wardruna can give me the inner piece of knowing that in my basic surroundings (where I have some how managed to take half of Duracell's warehouse stock with me to listen to any of these bands) there lies the capacity to make as rich and lush tapestries as Einar and co manage to on virtually everyone of their releases.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...